The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Public Research: Free Cheese (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=12567)

HerenIstarion 02-01-2006 06:43 AM

Public Research: Free Cheese

Part of Public Research Project

This one also allows multiple choices, since the books are many and ways of their acquisition are many as well. Per instance, The Hobbit was a 'heirloom', and LoTR I and SoWM I was given, the rest I've bought for myself. If all ways apply to you, click away all three

JennyHallu 02-01-2006 07:46 AM

I was given all of them. In fact, my younger brother and sister got me a beautiful hardcover edition of "The Hobbit" (with all the original illustrations) for my graduation, and I spend so much time looking at Tolkien's sketches I haven't even read it all the way through yet.

Anguirel 02-01-2006 07:51 AM

Blast. I thought perhaps this poll would ask whether, in an ideal world, we would prefer to be given Stilton, pecorino, manchego, Roquefort, Camembert, chevre, saganaki, feta or Mature Cheddar...

Such a poll exists only in my mind's eye. Nevertheless, I vote Roquefort...

Thinlómien 02-01-2006 09:13 AM

Is it inherited or gived if your dad gives his old books to you when he moves when your parents split up?

HerenIstarion 02-01-2006 09:28 AM

In my case, The Hobbit (which was translated way before LoTR, in 1976), was bought before I was born by my grandmother (she used to buy books in pairs, for my mothers and my uncle's families), so I count it inherited

In your case, it's up to you to decide, but I suppose inherited more than given though inherit be 'to receive from an ancestor as a right or title descendible by law at the ancestor's death', as I would rather leave the death part and count ancestral part only in the case

Thinlómien 02-01-2006 09:36 AM

Ok, thanks Heren.

I voted for both inheriting (LotR, TH, UT, Sil) and buying (HoME:PoME, Letters). The vote is quite even, it seems.

And will the 'Downs be conquered by a massive public research invasion? :eek: ;)

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh 02-01-2006 10:08 AM

How to win books and influence reading

I should probably qualify my vote, since I was given far fewer books than I've bought. Basically, my copy of The Hobbit, one of my copies of The Lord of the Rings and David Day's Tolkien Encyclopaedia (which, having read it, I would never buy) were presents; everything else is my own acquisition.

EDIT: So when do I get my free cheese? I thought some would turn up in my e-mail once I posted, but it hasn't. Is there any cheese? Even Moravian cat cheese with sorrel? At least the blood donation van lets you have a cup of tea and a biscuit in exchange for contributing.

Bêthberry 02-01-2006 10:38 AM

I see 'stolen from public library' has been omitted as one of the options.

The Bible holds the record as the book most often stolen from libraries. Maybe we should research if Tolkien also inspires this light-fingered obsession? Perhaps there might be some kind of sociological/cultural/confessional link here between books of spirituality and/or myth?

Lalwendë 02-01-2006 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anguirel
Blast. I thought perhaps this poll would ask whether, in an ideal world, we would prefer to be given Stilton, pecorino, manchego, Roquefort, Camembert, chevre, saganaki, feta or Mature Cheddar...

Such a poll exists only in my mind's eye. Nevertheless, I vote Roquefort...

Oh no, I'll have some Blacksticks Blue, please. Failing that some Tasty Lancashire always goes down well. Also, I wouldn't be averse to trying some Stinking Bishop if you can get your hands on any... I will feel sadly cheated if I don't get any now. :(

I have been given a fair few different Tolkien books; I suppose they make good presents for people to choose, especially nice editions and sets. I've also inherited my brother's old books, and have bought some editions myself. Quite a lot have been from charity or second hand shops where I've acquired some real bargains, but some have also come from e-bay which I find sooo tempting..... I'm most fond, at the moment, of retro sets, which can be had pretty cheaply and you often see well cared-for box sets.

the guy who be short 02-01-2006 11:39 AM

Quote:

I see 'stolen from public library' has been omitted as one of the options.

The Bible holds the record as the book most often stolen from libraries. Maybe we should research if Tolkien also inspires this light-fingered obsession? Perhaps there might be some kind of sociological/cultural/confessional link here between books of spirituality and/or myth?
I bought my first books (TH and LotR) in a booksale from the library. Though that's not quite the same thing.

Is a confession on its way, Bêthberry?

Roa_Aoife 02-01-2006 12:17 PM

I'm starting to suspect that the "Free cheese" was merely a lure, to trick hapless dagas such as ourselves into voting...

Curse you, HI, and your tricksy cheeses!

Mithalwen 02-01-2006 12:47 PM

Oh deear I just realised I forgot that I got my first set of LOTR from Father Christmas... but I had already bought the Hobbit for myself.

Formendacil 02-01-2006 01:19 PM

All three....

I've bought them, been given them, and "acquired" Dad's original LotR from 1977.

For cheese, I'd like some Emmentaler... classic Swiss cheese.

Rune Son of Bjarne 02-01-2006 01:56 PM

I votet that bought them my self, but my english versions was a gift frome my relatives. (who is currently living in England)

Child of the 7th Age 02-01-2006 02:20 PM

Hmm... I checked two boxes on the survey. The answer to this really depends on which book you are talking about. Esty can testify from my multiple overcrowded bookcases that I go a little crazy with book buying and have various editions of many titles. I especially collect hobbits.....books, I mean,.... not real ones. ;)

My first Hobbit and LotR were paperbacks I bought at the local bookstore when I was in my teens, both the dreaded Ace and the official Ballentines. My family has acknowledged my addiction to Tolkien in recent years, and have generously helped fund my "habit" on gift giving occasions. Even my kids have scrounged on e-bay to buy mom copies of Mr. Bliss, Roverandum, Father Christmas letters, etc.

Lalwende - I wouldn't be surprised if we have unknowingly bid against each other on e-bay, although I am trying to be good and resist too much expenditure at the present moment. I am also a big fan of library sales and have picked up some real bargains.

the phantom 02-01-2006 02:24 PM

My friend discovered Tolkien's books and I wanted them quite badly, so I strangled him and took them all. When anyone asks about my books, however, I say they are birthday presents.

Anguirel 02-01-2006 02:25 PM

The books in question must be precious to you...

malkatoj 02-01-2006 03:04 PM

Phantom, you win.

Technically, my brother bought all the books and I stole them from him when he stopped 'being a nerd' a few years back. Except for The Hobbit, which is a very old copy (I'm not exactly sure how old, but it's really awesome) and I don't know where it came from. Just appeared in my room one day.

And as for the cheese...I haven't had a good camembert for years, not since my grocery store seems to have decided that 'it's the same thing as Brie, so why carry both?' and it's sad. Silly grocery store.

Aiwendil 02-01-2006 04:30 PM

Books: Checked all three. My oldest copies of The Hobbit and LotR were passed down from my mother and uncle, respectively; I bought my other copies of those as well as Giles, Smith, UT and HoMe I, II, and III; The Silmarillion, Father Christmas Letters, Roverandom, and the remaining HoMe volumes were gifts (incidentally, I think The Silmarillion might just be the best gift I've ever received, on any occasion).

Cheese: I'll go with smoked gouda.

Farael 02-01-2006 06:44 PM

Well, I selected "bought them myself" although that is not completely accurate. Technically speaking, my parents bought it when I asked becuase I did not have my own money by then... but if I had, I would have bought them.

Lindolirian 02-01-2006 07:55 PM

So Heren, this public research... when will all it's findings be made public? You have piqued mine and many others' curiosity.

Eonwe 02-01-2006 08:10 PM

So this "free cheese", is it in any way related to the "free shotgun"? Cuz i've seen neither sight nor sound of that yet... :D

i bought all mine, with the latest purchase being unfinished tales, and farmer giles of ham, jsut last week.

Bêthberry 02-01-2006 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the guy who be short
I bought my first books (TH and LotR) in a booksale from the library. Though that's not quite the same thing.

Is a confession on its way, Bêthberry?

My, cannot one discuss the state of public libraries without being accused of the offenses under discussion? You must follow the belief that to read about something is to fall under the vile persuasions therein.

Márcolië Lamen 02-01-2006 10:35 PM

I've gotten them all three of the ways, and more.

I inherited LotR, was given Hobbit (copies 2 and 3) and some others, but don't remember exactly which ones, and bought my own copy of the rest, including them in Spanish. The more is how I got The Silmarillion which was by winning it in a Lord of the Rings trivia contest. I was at a Tolkien weekend for my church's diases or however that's spelt, and there was trivia at random points between presentations. The first two of the three trivia games I got second or third place and a bookmark. The third one I got second place, but by a tie breaker. It was because I had the highest total between the three days that I got the Sil as a prize.

I'd probably include that under given to me, but its not the best description.

the phantom 02-01-2006 10:55 PM

Quote:

So Heren, this public research... when will all it's findings be made public? You have piqued mine and many others' curiosity.
Public research? Ha! Don't believe it for a minute. HerenIstarion is a fiendish fellow. Have you noticed his questions have become more and more personal? Soon, we will find that we have foolishly answered questions that we really shouldn't have answered, and then... he will own us.

That's where all of this is leading- blackmail! But it's not all his fault. As you know he got married recently, and Mrs HI really likes big shiny rocks. But big shiny rocks are awfully expensive, and so he has been driven to a life of internet crime.

HerenIstarion 02-02-2006 12:31 AM

For in that time Lord HerenIstauron was not yet evil to behold, and they received his aid and grew mighty in craft, whereas he learned all their secrets, and betrayed them, and forged secretly in the Mountain of Fire the One Dossier to be their master. But Phantorimbor was aware of him, as he heard secret incantation Lord HerenIstauron was muttering under his breath while he was crafting the polls:

Three Polls for the Book-worms over the Net,
Seven for the Quiz-Lords in their halls of Script,
Nine for Role-Players doomed to Write,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark Console
In the Land of Statistics where the Money lies.
One Dossier to rule them all. One Dossier to find them,
One Dossier to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Statistics where the Money lies

Hookbill the Goomba 02-02-2006 12:39 AM

The first copy of The Lord of the Rings that I read was from a Library. But I did eventually buy my own copy. I think there are only a few that were gifts, mostly the History of Middle Earths.

JennyHallu 02-02-2006 07:30 AM

Quote:

You must follow the belief that to read about something is to fall under the vile persuasions therein.
You write on a Tolkien RP forum. 'Nuff said.

Quote:

As you know he got married recently, and Mrs HI really likes big shiny rocks. But big shiny rocks are awfully expensive, and so he has been driven to a life of internet crime.
As fellow (but not fellow) newlywed, and as a girl, big shiny rocks are awfully nice. And as a computer geek in training, internet crime is FUN!

Encaitare 02-04-2006 12:15 AM

All three! :D

Estelyn Telcontar 02-07-2006 07:31 AM

I was given the Ballantine's paperback red box with the Hobbit and LotR (4-volumes) by the boyfriend who had introduced me to Tolkien many years ago by lending me his books. That was all I had for many years, until I started buying further books myself - biography, letters, Sil, UT, minor works, HomE, supplementary works, etc...

Holbytlass 02-08-2006 04:39 PM

If you want it done right then you have to do it yourself. Or whatever that saying is...
I bought all my books. My parents were never into fantasy and when I discovered LOTR five years ago, I was too eager to wait for birthdays or holidays for my husband could get them.

Lush 02-12-2006 10:23 PM

I bought my books myself, and with my own money too (score!). I was seventeen at the time and was already having serious issues with asking mummy and daddy for cash.

The Alan Lee hardback will come when I've a real job... So sometime in the next century, perhaps.

Thinlómien 03-08-2007 01:59 AM

It was not actually meant as poignant....

Brinniel 06-18-2007 01:28 AM

Reviving the thread...

I first read The Hobbit and LotR using my mom's books (printed in the 60's), which she never actually read herself. After one read, the poor things got incredibly beat up and my mom didn't want me to wear out her books, so she bought me a set of my own, which are now extremely worn out.

Unfortunately, my mom picked out the movie edition set, which didn't really bother me at the time, but now I really wish I had a set that has pretty illustrations on it. Oh well...the cover shouldn't mean anything. It's the content inside that matters most.