The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What does your screenname mean? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=10980)

rutslegolas 10-04-2004 11:39 PM

Cool Avtaar Ireth Sirfalas where did you get it from?

I just read the forum you gave me HerenIstarion,and it says I can't change it :( :( .

ohtatyaro 10-07-2004 01:25 AM

I think you can add your another nick to your signature. I mean, something like 'rutslegolas is also known as X'

Besides, I have an idea. How does your Screenname relate to your real name? I don;t ask rutslegolas individually, I ask all of you.

Mine, I've said, means 'warrior'. My real name is Andro (though sometimes I write it André) I'm not sure about the latter, but I somehow think it must mean 'man'. I mean - by my screen name I'm a warrior, and by my real one - man, so it is "Man Warrior" together

Ya hey, the Man Warrior is here! :D

HerenIstarion 10-07-2004 01:33 AM

Good idea :)

I'm George, which in Greek stands for "earth-tiller"

The name is nor related to Order of Wizards at all, unless I do not rename myself to Barmudon, thanks to davem's researches (Saruman and Sauron, why are the names similar? thread), he-he ;)

The Ninth Valar 10-07-2004 01:40 AM

Well, it was supposed to refer to Melkor, the ninth high Valar, but I forgot the name of that group (aratar? something like that) and put 'valar' instead. Ah well.

HerenIstarion 10-07-2004 01:50 AM

you were right :)

HoME V1, Ch.2 The Music of the Ainur, notes:

Quote:

Manwe, Melko, Ulmo, and Aule are marked out as 'the four great ones', ultimately the great Valar, the Aratar, came to be numbered nine, but there was much shifting in the membership of the hierarchy before this was reached

Carnimírië 10-07-2004 05:20 PM

Well, my real name is Gabrielle which means "woman of God" so my name and screename together mean red-jewelled woman of God. My name looks better with those nifty accent-mark thingies: Gabríellë.

This is fun :D

Speaking of names, when I bought Unfinished Tales and found that Heren Istarion was in it I was astounded. "HerenIstarion from the Barrow Downs is in UT?"

Elianna 10-08-2004 07:11 AM

My screen name and real name together?

Elianna: Star-gift, starry-gift, gift of the stars

Elizabeth: Oath of God, consecrated to God.

Maybe a starry gift consecrated to God?

Ireth Sirfalas 10-08-2004 10:28 PM

i found my avatar at http://wenham.menofthewest.net/fan.html ;)

rutslegolas 10-09-2004 03:29 AM

Well my name is Rutwij - which means Old saint .

Well rutslegolas can mean " Old Legolas". It dose'nt sound too good does it ?? :(

Feanor of the Peredhil 10-09-2004 07:35 PM

Well, Feanor of the Peredhil means Fiery Spirit of the Half-Elven.

Laura, my name, means laurel leaves, honour, fame, spirit. So I guess I could be the Honoured and Famous Fiery Spirit of the Half-Elven. Or if I go by Fea, as I usually do, I am reduced to... Spirit. Laura is spirit, Fea is spirit. I guess I'm just a spirited person. ;)

Fea

Lhunardawen 10-10-2004 02:04 AM

Interesting names, Fea!

Hmm...Lhunardawen means "the maiden of (the region of) Lune", and Abigail means "the father's delight." So I'm the maiden of Lune that delights my father?
Not bad, I guess...my father Beren did delight in me. :rolleyes:

Mithalwen 10-19-2004 01:32 PM

Well, also thanks to davem, I have discovered that the meaning of my real name rendered into Elvish is "Adanverieth" - typically it is even longer in Elvish than in the original! And Verieth sounds like Various with a lisp!!!!( must see if my middle and surnames are snappier! ).

Moredhel 10-20-2004 05:55 PM

<---dark elf?

mor-dark
edhel-elf

I s'pose it means the dark elf, but I am not referring to =the Avari, I'm referring to my hair. :rolleyes:

Farmira 10-20-2004 06:25 PM

Im not sure what farmira means... but it is taken from Faramir, he is one of my favorite characters...

My real name is Leighan, which means in anglo-saxon and old english " meadow"

THE Ka 10-20-2004 09:15 PM

It's Sooooo Easy!

Well, you can just ignore the title in bold :rolleyes: ... Anyway, If you are brushed up on your ancient egyptian culture and religion you will know what "Ka" means. If you know this, you can understand why i put "THE" in bold ;) .

Tell me when you give up... :)

Mithalwen 10-21-2004 11:58 AM

Oops, I htought it was something to do with the little Ford ! ;)

Oceanic 10-27-2004 01:33 PM

My screen name is inspired by my fascination of anything to do with the marine world.

My real name is Lewis, and I do not have a clue where that comes from or what it means, any ideas anyone?

Elianna 10-27-2004 08:32 PM

Oceanic: Lewis is a variation of Louis, old German for "reknown warrior". I thought your screenname would have something to do with all those South Pacific islands.

AbercrombieOfRohan 11-26-2004 11:38 AM

My name comes as a joke from one of my friends. Abercrombie is named after the store and of rohan is from gap of rohan. haha you get it? if youve read the very secret diaries it is explained in there.

Encaitare 11-26-2004 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbercrombieOfRohan
My name comes as a joke from one of my friends. Abercrombie is named after the store and of rohan is from gap of rohan. haha you get it? if youve read the very secret diaries it is explained in there.

Heh heh... nice. What's next, I wonder? Old Navy of Rohan? :p

THE Ka 11-26-2004 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oceanic
My screen name is inspired by my fascination of anything to do with the marine world.

My real name is Lewis, and I do not have a clue where that comes from or what it means, any ideas anyone?

Well, with a book on hand, i'll try to answer this...

Lewis
English Version of Louis (French)
Means:"Famous Warrior"...

Hope this helps...

~Reference Desk Ka~

The Elf-warrior 11-26-2004 09:00 PM

My real name is Samuel, which means "God has heard". The Elf-warrior is a nickname Sam Gamgee adopted after hearing Gorbag describing him as probably a large elf warrior. Samwise means "halfwise, simple".

mark12_30 11-26-2004 10:19 PM

It's called first and greatest; is found between Luke and Matthew; tells how to do what you do in spirit and truth.

HerenIstarion 11-27-2004 05:08 AM

Or, to be more concrete:

Quote:

And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment
Which is not that easy as it sounds, alas

Bêthberry 11-27-2004 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Encaitare
Heh heh... nice. What's next, I wonder? Old Navy of Rohan? :p

Perhaps Old Navy of Numenor-Marcus. :D

(Sorry, Enca, I couldn't resist.)

Durfuiniel 11-27-2004 07:53 AM

My name is originally from one of these name generators but somehow I liked it and it really matches with me....
Dûrfuiniel means Daughter of dark night and I think it matches twice 'cause on one hand it's elvish (sindarin) and on the other hand it means daughter of dark night and I love the night and those fantasy night creatures as vampires etc...

Amanaduial the archer 11-27-2004 08:25 AM

Amanaduial

Amanaduial means something odd like 'blessed maiden of the night': I looked it up some time ago but the translation didn't really make much sense... Aman, the shortened, more often used version, is 'blessed place' - the location found in the Silmarillion. But alright, I admit it: Amanaduial was the name I got when I typed my full name into the name generator. Shameful, isn't it? And when I type my full name in now, it is a completely different name that comes up.

To be fair though, Amanaduial the Archer was also the character I used in my very first RPG, a freestyle game called 'Rivendell', and Aman remain quite special to me. She was the start of a whole new era which now has me addicted and which has led to upwards of twenty games on a few different forums (the foremost, of course, being Barrowdowns). So, y'know, I suppose it works out as a worthy name - even if it was created in a moment of fangirl-madness :rolleyes:

ohtatyaro 01-27-2005 02:20 AM

'blessed maiden of the night' sounds good, I mean, even romantic :)

King of the North 01-27-2005 12:17 PM

Fingolfin was often known as the King of the North. He's my favorite Noldor King

Formendacil 01-27-2005 12:28 PM

Actually...

It's interesting that I find this thread right after King of the North, because it isn't that different from my own.

So, my name is Formendacil. Basically, this means North-Slayer, or North-victor, Conqueror of the North. It is in the good old tradition of Romendacil, Hyarmendacil, and Umbardacil (names taken by five of the kings of Gondor). It also seemed appropriate in light of the fact that I am a Canadian (hence, conquering the North is a big thing here...). Also, I like the sound of the other -dacils, and I wanted one that no one else was likely to have.

So type "Formendacil" into Google. Last I checked, I'm the only one you come up with. :D

wilwarin538 01-27-2005 01:11 PM

thats alot of butterflies!

Well most of you probably know that wilwarin is quenya for butterfly. my name is Vanessa and that means butterfly, so wilwarin is like a direct elven translation of my name. The sindarin word is gwilwileth but I didn't like it as much. The 538 is just my lucky number. So I like to think of it as 538 butterflies, wouldn't that be pretty. ;)

~*Wilwa*~ (wilwa means "to flutter to and fro")

Neithan 01-27-2005 02:02 PM

Neithan is the name that Turin took when he was with the outlaws, it is translated as "the wronged". I chose it just because all of my first choices were taken (Telchar for example). Had I thought of it I would have picked Narvi, I like that better but whatever. My real name is Corey which was possibly either derived from the Old Norse given name Kori (of unknown meaning), or else meant "ravine" in Gaelic.

Assasin 01-27-2005 03:39 PM

mine means someone who kills people for a price basically. I tried to use lots of other names, but they were all taken, so I just decided, why not? All my friends say that my name sounds like a boy, but I'm not, I'm a girl. I've mostly only seen girls here, though.

Encaitare 01-27-2005 10:05 PM

Quote:

I've mostly only seen girls here, though.
*looks around* Nope, still plenty of XY's here. Being female, I actually tend to assume that other members are female unless their names or manner of talking blatantly tells me otherwise. So maybe I see where you're coming from!

(From where you are coming? Bah. Must not end sentences in prepositions. Bad Enca.)

Garen LiLorian 01-27-2005 10:36 PM

'Fraid mine's not terribly Rings related, except in my own little mind.
Garen Le Lorian was a sixteenth century French knight, famous for saying "Had I one foot in paradise, I would withdraw it to fight a rightous battle" I liked that. Once I got here, the similarity to Lothlorien entered my mind, so now he's a whole character used for RPG such as this one
Random association is fun!

Sophia the Thunder Mistress 01-28-2005 12:02 AM

Sophia the Thunder Mistress was a random name given to me by a friend in a fit of silliness. I approved of it and it stuck. Now I seem to be Sophia everywhere (or Sophe, Sophs, Sophedreams...). Not that I mind. I fancy her as a helper of Manwe's (I considered "Maia of Manwe" for a pt), even though her name's not in the right language.

My real life name is Sara, a name that far too many of us share. It means princess and could probably be best translated "Arwen" :rolleyes: I've also seen it translated "Aredhel", which is slightly better, though I'm not an elf. ;)

Sophia

Encaitare 01-28-2005 02:01 PM

Quote:

My real life name is Sara, a name that far too many of us share. It means princess and could probably be best translated "Arwen"
Or aranel, if you want to go old school and make it Quenya. :smokin: <-- I just find that face amusing.

Neurion 01-28-2005 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garen LiLorian
'Fraid mine's not terribly Rings related, except in my own little mind.
Garen Le Lorian was a sixteenth century French knight, famous for saying "Had I one foot in paradise, I would withdraw it to fight a rightous battle" I liked that. Once I got here, the similarity to Lothlorien entered my mind, so now he's a whole character used for RPG such as this one
Random association is fun!

Cool. :cool:

Neurion 01-28-2005 02:52 PM

My screen-name is the Sindarin equivelant of my Christian name. Now see if you can figure out what it is.

aelithes 01-28-2005 05:09 PM

My screenname is rather nerdy, really. It's actually a word from my own constructed language - the nominative singular of the word for moon (pronounced EYE-thee-lace, with the th as in 'thick', not as in 'the'). I chose it simply because it's pretty (in my humble opinion!).