The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Secrets pt. 3 (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=3099)

Samwise 02-21-2002 08:40 PM

Secrets pt. 3

Hm. This just came to mind when thinking of the other topics...what does everyone here do (I mean occupation wise)? (Or, if you go to school).
Me, being true to my Samwise-ness, have been a Preschool Teacher's Aide for roughly 7 years, and am therefore surrounded by children....(though quite a few more than 13). [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:

Sam stood by him, his round eyes wide open - for he was looking across lands he had never seen to a new horizon.

Alkanoonion 02-21-2002 09:04 PM

Quote:

Hm. This just came to mind when thinking of the other topics...what does everyone here do (I mean occupation wise)? (Or, if you go to school).
Me, being true to my Samwise-ness, have been a Preschool Teacher's Aide for roughly 7 years, and am therefore surrounded by children....(though quite a few more than 13).
hahahaha [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I have worked for the Government for the last 4 years and I am also surrounded by children....(though quite a few more than 13). [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Raefindel 02-21-2002 09:08 PM

I am a self-employed Caterer [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Joy 02-21-2002 09:19 PM

I am a self-employed web designer/pc repair person/network installer. Don't have much of a life outside of the computer.

Tigerlily Gamgee 02-21-2002 09:33 PM

I am a student, actress, and retail salesperson (hey- at least I am not in the actress/waitress stereotype!)
I also work at a living history museum during the summer - I get to dress up in period clothing, it's pretty cool!

Raefindel 02-21-2002 09:39 PM

I love to dress in costume! It sounds like a kick!

Niphredil Baggins 02-22-2002 04:13 AM

Oh I love to tell this, for I follow in the footsteps of professor Tolkien: I study Énglish Philology! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Niphredil Baggins 02-22-2002 04:13 AM

oops, silly me, what in the world does that È think it's doing there?

Gayalondiel 02-22-2002 04:25 AM

Afraid I'm a lowly full-time student, albeit with aspirations to musical composition

Marileangorifurnimaluim 02-22-2002 05:11 AM

Okay, I'm game. I'm an ordained Buddhist who supports this habit working for a Global Mega-Corp Investment Firm. One of the 9/11 planes went through our offices.

Lady of the Lake 02-22-2002 05:43 AM

I'm a school student (two more years and I'm free!!!) 15 years old and definatly do too much dancing!!! But I love it.
I'm also going to join the Australian Youth Theatre (I hope... audition in a week, wish me luck!)
But yeah. Full-time student. Harah for me. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

the_raging_jackass 02-22-2002 07:11 AM

I am also a full time student, studying Physics. More specific, Astrophysics.

Eruhen 02-22-2002 10:31 AM

I am just a lowly high school junior from a nowhere school at the far end of forever, who hopes eventually to go to college and get a degree in Christian theology, so he can be a theology prof. I also happen to share Prof. Tolkien's dirty little secret: a love for invented languages! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Raefindel 02-22-2002 11:04 AM

Hey! for the next "Secrtes" let's all tell our weights! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mereth'iel 02-22-2002 11:30 AM

Hey! for the next "Secrtes" let's all tell our weights!

Are you outta your mind, Raefindel?? LOL

Ok...about me. I'm a former wild child who has finally settled down & am now a double major (History & Anthropology) college student currently on the Dean's List.

I give hope to the lost.

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Glenethor 02-22-2002 12:17 PM

Currently, I make my dineri as a musician/recording engineer in my home studio. Owned a BBS/Website dedicated to recording, but sold it last August. The bucks are decent, I make my own hours, and can afford to occasionally kick back and do SFA. I have an academic background in psychology, worked as a therapist for a while, burnt out, and decided to do something I actually love. Isn't that what midlife crises are for?
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I weigh around 270...lbs, not kilos! Somewhere between 6'3" and 6'4". Depends how my spine is these days.
[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Raefindel 02-22-2002 12:31 PM

I wasn't serious about weights! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Raefindel 02-22-2002 12:32 PM

Hey! that was my 100th post!

Joy 02-22-2002 12:39 PM

You became a wright faster than I did girl! Way to go!!!!

Mereth'iel 02-22-2002 01:11 PM

Hey, congrats on reaching Wight-dom, Raefindel.

Rosa Underhill 02-22-2002 01:41 PM

I'm a full time nerd, er, student in college. (I miss high school... It was so easy. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]) May be getting a job soon, but I don't know what it'l be,(it's a long story). Majoring in English, specifically writing. Eee! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

And, though I can't learn other languages worth a darn, I do love the sound of them. I'm currently working on creating a believable accent for a Griffin. Anyone know where I can find a phoenetic list of sounds in the English language?

amyrlis 02-22-2002 01:49 PM

I'm a civil engiNERD doing land development consulting and utility engineering. In lay terms - I design pipes and dirt! But in a few months I might just be a full time military wife. Who knows, depends on where the good old Army sends us! PLEASE let it be Germany!!!

[ February 22, 2002: Message edited by: amyrlis ]

Tarlondeion Of Gondolin 02-22-2002 01:53 PM

I'm a student at secondary school (English for High School)

Joy 02-22-2002 01:59 PM

When I was in college, not to long ago, I hade 3 majors. Secondary Education with Forgien Language, Psychology, and Computer Science with Networking and Web Design. I am doing the computer stuff right now, though I would love to teach one day.

Foreign lanuages has been a love of mine since I was a child. I speak Spanish, some Japanesse, some Hebrew, and some Latin. I tried to study Biblical Greek for a while also.

Enedhil 02-22-2002 04:32 PM

I left school a few years ago and now work. My dream was to do music in my final year at school then go to the local college and do an NC (national certificate) in Sound engineering, a stepping stone to music college/university to study it proper. Unfortunately, my teacher in 4th year didnt let me do music, saying he didnt think i'd cope and besides, i needed TWO instruments, not one (and, the keyboard, which is my chosen intsrtument, isnt *quite* what he classes as an *musical instrument*. he's very pompus and totally up himself!) [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] So now i'm an admin assistant for a small accountants firm. How can a teacher be so dreadful as to destroy a pupils dream! Maybe one day i'll get it back [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Raefindel 02-22-2002 04:42 PM

Thanks for the well-wishes, Joy and Mereth'iel! Yes, It took 11 days. My kids are getting hungry and the laundry is piling up, but hey! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Voronwe 02-22-2002 04:52 PM

Currently, I go to a strange place known only as 'school'. However, without any major disasters, in half a year I'll be a full-time Physics student.

-Voronwë

[ February 22, 2002: Message edited by: Voronwe ]

Elven-Maiden 02-22-2002 04:54 PM

I'm a 17yr. old high school student. I weigh 115 lbs, and I love history and French! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Lush 02-22-2002 05:29 PM

Ok, I've usually avoided posting in the "secrets" threads, but I'm game now.
I'm a student (will be settling in at Duke University this fall, if everything works out with my financial aid). Hope to devote myself to English, Journalism, and Russian Studies. I work part-time at a coffee shop (very stereotypical, I'm aware), and occasionally act and model. 115 pounds as well. *High -fives Elven-Maiden*

Gayahithwen 02-22-2002 05:35 PM

It's hard to translate swedish school to american/english terms, but lets just say that I'm still in school, and when I'm about to chose the direction of my education for the coming three years I've chosen something with a lot of languages in.. even though I'm to tired right now to translate it into english.. ^_^ Oh, anyway.. When I grow up (to talk childish) I wanna become a journalist in some foreign country.. like.. uuumm.. New Zealand or Israel or anywhere.. ^_^

Samwise 02-22-2002 10:06 PM

Tigerlily Gamgee....hm....should I know you?
(LOL!)
Anywho, welcome to the 'Downs!

Rosa Underhill 02-22-2002 10:31 PM

I dunno what I weigh but I'm pretty sure I'm closer to a hobbit than an elf. Somewhere in the 150+ area.

Quote:

When I grow up
Grow up?! I fully intend to do no such thing! Grow old, yes, grow up...not during the lifetime of an elf! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Tigerlily Gamgee 02-23-2002 12:17 AM

Samwise...
Should you know me? Well, perhaps you caught me in the Jacksonn Productions production of Guys & Dolls - oh wait... never mind... nobody's heard of them (save those people in downriver Detroit).
Let's hope you will know me some day! I plan on going to California some day after schooling & pursuing this acting thing seriously (I got a nice spirit boost from my acting teacher today) - besides, all the cabbies in Chicago tell me I should be a movie star (they're scary!). It's too bad that the movies I would love to be in more than anything have already been made (hmm... I wonder which movies those could be!)
OK, I've rambled enough!
On another note - a theatre company around here did a stage version of Return of the King, I wonder what that was like? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Samwise 02-23-2002 02:26 PM

LOL--I meant because you and I (well, me as Samwise, anyhow) have the same last name. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:

"I made a promise, Mister Frodo! 'Don't you leave him, Samwise Gamgee,' Gandalf said;
'Don't you leave him! "
Sam Gamgee

Tigerlily Gamgee 02-23-2002 05:00 PM

Oh! I am really dumb! sorry!
Hey - maybe we're related! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Samwise 02-23-2002 05:04 PM

Could be.....Sam--I--did name most of my girls after flowers after all...
Quote:

Gandalf: "Sam, do you know what Kingsfoil is?"
Sam: [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] "That's a weed! "
(Yeah, I know, that particular instance didn't happen that way in the book. Nevertheless, I thought it was kinda cute/funny that Gandalf asked Sam of all people, and of course, Sam's response....) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Tigerlily Gamgee 02-23-2002 05:11 PM

Wow - to be related to one of the most respected Hobbits in Hobbiton - & speaking of children, dang there were a lot of 'em! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Samwise 02-23-2002 05:22 PM

Per Tigerlily:
Quote:

Wow - to be related to one of the most respected Hobbits in Hobbiton - & speaking of children, there were a lot of 'em!
Aw, shucks..... : [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Yes, he certainly did, didn't he? (I...)
Quote:

*Frodo and Sam walking across a feild*
*Sam stops*
*Frodo turns* "Sam, what's the matter? "
*Sam* "If I take another step, I'll be farther from home than I've ever been."

Rosa Underhill 02-23-2002 07:33 PM

Quote:

Hey - maybe we're related!
*falls off chair laughing*

Quote:

Aw, shucks..... :
Yes, he certainly did, didn't he? (I...)
I hope you didn't, Stace!(Sam) That would be painful. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I told my friend how many kids Sam had and she almost threw me out of the car.

Hah! Further proof that Sam most definately wasn't "gay"! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

andhiriel greenleaf 02-23-2002 09:29 PM

I'm still a senior. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] At school....