The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Quiz Room (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Cryptic Clues (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=3868)

Ivriniel 07-09-2015 04:45 AM

I took twilight to mean 'twilight of Turumbar's people in the devastation of FA', as that part of the clue that was 'the real bit'.

Pervinca Took 07-09-2015 04:57 AM

Cryptic clues can sometimes work more like riddle clues, but usually they are more likely to be made up of anagrams and synonyms, etc of the words in the clue (with the straight part of the clue often being exactly what it seems to be).

Ivriniel 07-09-2015 04:58 AM

:) I'm learning. So, will look forwards to seeing what the answer is and reverse engineer :)

Pervinca Took 07-09-2015 06:26 AM

Why not have another go and learn on the job, so to speak?

Start with 'twilight.' What might you do with that, according to the conventions of cryptic clues?

Ivriniel 07-09-2015 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pervinca Took (Post 700524)
He mingles twilight with doom, initially.

hahaha I have a mindsight headache hahaha

okay - I'll try. I'll think out loud for you to explain why the headache hahahah

'hmm, is 'mingles' one of their 'special' words, not like 'annexe' - which I thought, meant 'join this bit with that bit' and it sort of 'did' in that the creature thing 'ET' WAS joined to the suffix - but they meant 'by territory' not by 'special word'.

Hmmm, now - what about 'mingles'. It could then, 'pet word to join' or it could be 'one of those elfy metaphor things, you know, like 'mingled light of the two trees' and - really - mingles is really one those 'middle earthy words' used everywhere. You know, like 'numenoreans mingling with lesser men' and 'teleri mingling with sindarins in beleriand' and then - the mingling of elf and man!

Ah, is this then a 'half-elfy' thing. Um - could be. So, now I want to say

Undomiel. She was that twilight, or even star thing, 'mingling' of night and light and of blood. A double match!!! hahahaha

Hmm, but Umbar really meant 'doom', but then again Undomiel did have 'the doom of Mortal men.

I'm sure my reasoning is all wrong.

Undomiel! hahahah

Ivriniel 07-09-2015 06:55 AM

Or wait

Undome means twighlight, and Umbar means doom in Elvish.

Quote:

He mingles twilight with doom, initially
He mingles 'undome' with 'umbar', initially.

Mingles (anagram?)......"He" why HE? What on earth of an anagram can I possibly get out of either (twilight) or Undome. And then 'with' doom. Is the anagram on just 'undome' or on 'undome' AND 'umbar' or on the non-elfy words?

EDIT:

Seriously, I haven't stopped laughing for 15 minutes..........It can't possibly be Undomiel hahahaha she doesn't anagram out of the clue.

Mithalwen 07-09-2015 08:22 AM

He, I think, merely indicates that the answer is a male character. You are right about mingles suggesting an anagram. Initially suggests well just the initial of doom is needed too - but whether it is D or of a synonym or a translation I don't know..

Pervinca Took 07-09-2015 10:54 AM

'Mingles' might indeed mean 'mixes,' or becomes an anagram of itself. ;)

But you might have to do something with the word first. It might not be a translation of it that you need, but a synonym. (I suppose a translation is a kind of synonym, in a way, but not the kind that you need here).

Galadriel55 07-09-2015 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivriniel (Post 700560)
Undome means twighlight, and Umbar means doom in Elvish.

Isn't it Ambar? As in TurAMBAR, aka Master of Fate. Or Amarth, as in the Gondorian name for Mount Doom (Amon Amarth).

But anyways, Pervinca said it's not a translation. I was trying to work in some anagram of gloom or dusk, with the former being more promising, but the closest I got to matching the clue was getting Olog-hai, which is pretty obviously not the answer. I can't make Gollum fit either. But maybe this will help one of you guys.

Pervinca Took 07-10-2015 04:17 PM

Galadriel, you're very close with your anagram ideas.

Sorry not to have replied sooner. I tried to get into the thread this morning, but couldn't. My laptop seems to have a problem getting into threads at times.

Galadriel55 07-10-2015 09:02 PM

Ok, I keep trying different combinations without anywhere. I'm desperate enough to search up the different letter combinations on Encyclopedia of Arda to get something that fits. But in the meantime, to throw out another half-answer out there, is there a singular form for GOLODHRIM? I feel that it wouldn't have the M, though, so probably not it either.

Ivriniel 07-10-2015 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel55 (Post 700602)
Ok,...GOLODHRIM? ....

I've gottit! HAHAHA DUSKodhrim.....hahahaha

Arwen Duskomiel, or Arwen Gloomomiel (she was a bit that way inclined in the movies, anyway hahaha) (crying from laughter)

(seriously, 'just in case' I looked up "Olog-dhrim" - a elf/orc realm somewhere, I heard).

Mithalwen 07-11-2015 03:06 AM

Maglor is very nearly an anagram of gloam, an archaic, poetic word for twighlight. He certainly was doomed but I can't explain the R..

Pervinca Took 07-11-2015 04:55 AM

Mith, you are very, very, very close. Correct synonym, wrong character.

Mithalwen 07-11-2015 09:15 AM

I am not sure as not exactly a character but Wormtongue is Grima son of Galmod which is an anagram of gloam and the initial d of doom.

Pervinca Took 07-11-2015 12:49 PM

Correct. Galmod, father of Grima who became 'a witless worm,' so to speak.

Over to you.