The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Silmarillion downloading link (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=18734)

Lotrelf 05-05-2014 10:51 PM

Silmarillion downloading link

I've been trying to download it in pdf format but it's been like a mess. Is there anyone out there who can give me proper link?
Thank You!

Bęthberry 05-06-2014 08:49 AM

It is a violation of copyright to download a complete book. The Silmarillion is under copyright. :eek:

I doubt if anyone here would provide an illegal link--and if anyone did, the Mods would remove it and give the member a stern warning.

tom the eldest 05-06-2014 09:09 AM

It wont work well afterall,reading a book in a computer is a pain

Inziladun 05-06-2014 09:25 AM

Is an old-school print version not available? Even the local chain bookstore has it where I am. If you aren't near any sort of bookstore, there's Amazon.

Lotrelf 05-06-2014 10:11 AM

Illegal link? I didn't ask for that. Most of the books are available in pdf format, and I was under the impression that The Silmarillion would be too. Inziladun, problem isn't that I can't buy the book. I could order it from flipkart too, but the problem is something else. My family doesn't allow me to read "novels" and I have to hide the fact from them that I have more than 70 e-books in my Phone and computer. If it isn't available, then, I'll simply go for what I have got. Thanks.

Morthoron 05-06-2014 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lotrelf (Post 691132)
Illegal link? I didn't ask for that. Most of the books are available in pdf format, and I was under the impression that The Silmarillion would be too. Inziladun, problem isn't that I can't buy the book. I could order it from flipkart too, but the problem is something else. My family doesn't allow me to read "novels" and I have to hide the fact from them that I have more than 70 e-books in my Phone and computer. If it isn't available, then, I'll simply go for what I have got. Thanks.

Not allowed to read novels? Ah yes, that decadent Tolkien subverting another youth!

Inziladun 05-06-2014 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lotrelf (Post 691132)

I am sorry to hear that. My daughter has some habits of which I do not approve, but reading is not among them! Are TH and LOTR prohibited too?

Lotrelf 05-06-2014 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morthoron (Post 691133)
Not allowed to read novels? Ah yes, that decadent Tolkien subverting another youth!

"Decadent Tolkien subverting another youth"? No, that's not the thought at all. It's just my parents think I should not do anything time consuming--even reading books other than my syllabus books, especially when I'm doing Masters with Physics. But I can't resist reading Tolkien. :p

Lotrelf 05-06-2014 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inziladun (Post 691135)
I am sorry to hear that. My daughter has some habits of which I do not approve, but reading is not among them! Are TH and LOTR prohibited too?

All books. That's why I've to hide that I've read some books without letting them know. As I said in my earlier post it is just parents' over-protective nature. That's all. After reading HP series & The Alchemist when I started reading The Hobbit, I felt "I was home! This was what I missed the most." That's another thing I haven't finished reading the book. :D
P.S. tom the eldest, I agree, but there's no other way. :)

Morthoron 05-06-2014 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lotrelf (Post 691142)
"Decadent Tolkien subverting another youth"? No, that's not the thought at all. It's just my parents think I should not do anything time consuming--even reading books other than my syllabus books, especially when I'm doing Masters with Physics. But I can't resist reading Tolkien. :p

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

So Jack Nicholson typed several thousand times before he tried to axe murder his family in The Shining. ;)

Inziladun 05-06-2014 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morthoron (Post 691146)
"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

And all Physics and no Tolkien makes you a Saruman. ;)

Lotrelf 05-06-2014 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inziladun (Post 691149)
And all Physics and no Tolkien makes you a Saruman. ;)

Makes Saruman :o Makes me Saruman?? Nooo!!

Aiwendil 05-07-2014 07:15 PM

It appears to be available as an e-book from Amazon.

Lotrelf 05-07-2014 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiwendil (Post 691173)
It appears to be available as an e-book from Amazon.

It didn't help. I had tried there too.

jallanite 06-24-2014 01:36 PM

It is available as a Kindle edition from amazon.com for $10.61 US. See http://www.amazon.com/Silmarillion-J...s=silmarillion . It is also available in a Kindle edition from amazon.uk for Ł5.89 UK. See http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silmarillion...s=silmarillion .

Kindle is not pdf format but it is a downloadable format readable on PCs.

Mithalwen 06-24-2014 09:26 PM

I have the kindle version of Lord of the Rings (since my Tolkien paperbacks tend to become deciduous the long term plan is to have hardbacks and kindle versions), and while I am waiting to repair or replace the kindle (screen cracked in freak accident) I am reading my kindle stuff on my tablet having downloaded a free app at amazon which works quite well.

jallanite 06-26-2014 12:03 PM

I also have Kindle books, but none by Tolkien. Mostly I have ones that are very inexpensive.

I use only the free app from amazon. When my virus checker bombed out about a month ago so that Window no longer worked, I took the opportunity to upgrade to Windows 8. Just as advertised I was still able to sign onto Kindle and find my books without any problem.