The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Top Ten Signs You're Addicted to the Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5145)

Legate of Amon Lanc 11-26-2007 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien (Post 537064)
Well, Rune, if that's not good enough for you, how about making 107 posts in the past 15 days...?

Hey, and what about 117 posts? ;) :p

*serious face* I should really do something about it. The more that only about 10% of that were in the Books thread.

*more serious face* See it? Now this is indeed a grave case.

*even more serious face* I should delete this post.

satansaloser2005 11-26-2007 03:30 PM

I keep refreshing the main page to see if anyone has posted in the werewolf topics. and there's not even a game going yet. if that's not sad, i don't know what is ;)

Legate of Amon Lanc 11-28-2007 09:38 AM

I have one interesting contribution, maybe I would not even call it a sign of addiction. But today on one lesson I had to make notes from what the lecturer was saying very fast. And once it came handy to me that I am a Downer: the lecturer was saying some quotation, and I did not have to write it all, I simply noted: "Kitanna's avatar" and moved on. :)

Rune Son of Bjarne 11-28-2007 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien (Post 537064)
Well, Rune, if that's not good enough for you, how about making 107 posts in the past 15 days...? :eek: ;)

That depends. . .how many was in ww?

I would like a tally where you tell me exactly how many post in which thread. . . . :p

TheGreatElvenWarrior 11-29-2007 04:35 PM

Hmmmm... The First day on the Downs, I think I made forty-some posts or something.:eek:
You know... my family thinks I am crazy and you should see my friends, I hadn't been on the Downs for like a week or two and they were mad at me for mentioning it at lunch.:(

Anyway, how do you say Volo... I've always pronounced it like Volvo, just without the v.
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................
or you check the newspaper thread every time you're on, even though it only comes out weekly. Because you like it so much.

Volo 11-29-2007 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior (Post 537394)
Anyway, how do you say Volo... I've always pronounced it like Volvo, just without the L.

:D How do you pronounce Volvo? I pronounce it with o's like in "odd". Funny thing is that I was teased by being called Volvo in primary school. :S

Lhunardawen 12-02-2007 02:22 PM

When, after waking up and not knowing the time because your phone's battery died, worrying it might already be 6 AM when you needed to wake up at 5, and your panic subsided when you found out it was not even 4, the first thing you thought of, and ended up, doing was logging on to the Downs and posting about your BD dream before you forgot it.

Thinlómien 12-07-2007 05:16 AM

I'm not sure if a BD addiction or having slept only a few hours is to blame, but there's certainly something wrong with you if you can't help laughing hysterically at a BigMac advertisement... :rolleyes: :D :p

Macalaure 12-07-2007 09:13 AM

Hmmmm..... laughter is not the effect I desired with that campaign. :rolleyes:

:D

Legate of Amon Lanc 12-07-2007 09:32 AM

This happened about thirty seconds ago.

I took a pack of chocolate and read: Edel Nogrod.

Then I realised it was Nougat.

*slaps his hand to his forehead*

Hookbill the Goomba 12-07-2007 09:52 AM

When, even in your own work, you cannot help but mention the Downs, even if *cough* subtly. This is one of three Downs references I've put into my pseudo mythology which includes Penguins as a race:

http://i19.tinypic.com/66o03ma.jpg

There is also a Bear called Legate and a Dinosaur called Rune in the legends... :D

Lhunardawen 12-08-2007 04:02 AM

Hahaha! Nice, Hookbill. :D

When my Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy prof told us one lecture class that she likes penguins, I almost blurted out, "Pareho kayo ni Lommy!" I caught myself just when the words were at the tip of my tongue..

(Pareho means same, kayo is you (plural). Do the math. :p)

Thinlómien 12-11-2007 03:24 AM

When you try to log in to a school computer with your BD user name and wonder why it's not working. :rolleyes: :D

When you realise that you can mostly blame BD for having read so little lately. I used to spend more time with books and less with the computer. *sigh*

Lhunardawen 12-11-2007 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien (Post 539027)
When you try to log in to a school computer with your BD user name and wonder why it's not working. :rolleyes: :D

Am I just having a deja vu, or is it a sign of addiction that I think I remember someone saying something like this before? ;)

Kath 12-11-2007 07:48 AM

You see penguins on the tv and immediately wonder if you should tell Lommy. :D

The Might 12-21-2007 01:07 PM

You look at Fight Club and as Edward Norton discovers his power animal is a penguing you think of Thinlómien.

Mithalwen 12-21-2007 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kath (Post 539043)
You see penguins on the tv and immediately wonder if you should tell Lommy. :D

And with the Christmas Idents there are a lot of Lommies..Imean penguins on TV..

I assign getting Christmas cards addressed to Mith and not finding it strange at all... :D

Lalaith 12-24-2007 06:14 AM

Buying this for a friend´s kid:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/365-Penguins...498416&sr=8-1s
but thinking I should really have bought it for Lommy instead.

The Might 12-24-2007 07:06 PM

Well, when you get as a gift a parfume called "Gran Valor" and you first think of Valinor and Valier. :D

Hookbill the Goomba 12-25-2007 06:57 AM

When, upon receiving an iPod touch for Christmas, you immediately us its Internet capabilities to visit the Downs. :D

Also, upon receiving a t-shirt with a Goomba on it, you automatically think of making a new photo for the Downs photo page. ;)

TheGreatElvenWarrior 12-30-2007 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volo (Post 537401)
:D How do you pronounce Volvo? I pronounce it with o's like in "odd". Funny thing is that I was teased by being called Volvo in primary school. :S

No, it's a long o..... hmmm, maybe I'm pronouncing it wrong.:eek:

Or when you get Scrabble, you immediately, before you play the actual game, make your Barrow-downs name with the letters because it would be a good avatar(it didn't work out very well, because you can't see it), not to mention the Barrow-downs(which doesn't work, I already tried)

Eönwë 01-05-2008 03:32 PM

When one of your parents comes into the room when you are on the downs and you've just told them yesterday that you'll try to go without for a day. (well, I don't know if I'm addicted yet, I've only been on for a week.. but 33 posts?)

TheGreatElvenWarrior 01-05-2008 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eönwë (Post 542235)
When one of your parents comes into the room when you are on the downs and you've just told them yesterday that you'll try to go without for a day. (well, I don't know if I'm addicted yet, I've only been on for a week.. but 33 posts?)

I posted I think 40 post in the first day! Don't quote me on that one though...

Thinlómien 01-07-2008 02:59 PM

When it intrudes your speech...

When you say "private message" when you should say "sms"... :rolleyes:

Thinlómien 01-10-2008 06:01 AM

When upon first hearing about Blackle, a Google version that saves energy because of its black background, your immediate thought is: "Hey, Barrow-Downs is eco-friendly!" :D

Hookbill the Goomba 01-10-2008 08:32 AM

When you have an amazing dream but are disappointed that it didn't have any downers in it so you can't post it on the relevant thread. :(

Bęthberry 01-12-2008 05:46 PM

when you use Middle-earth words/Tolkien languages on Text/Twist and take umbrage when they aren't accepted.

Really--orcs is part of the English vocabulary now, itsn't it? And ent? and hobbit surely is.

Kath 01-12-2008 07:09 PM

When you're watching a clip from 'Britain's most interesting trees' (or whatever it was actually called) and you can't help but think the man being interviewed is actually an ent, so when you see Bethberry's post on here you can't help but mention it!

Gwathagor 01-17-2008 11:02 PM

When you can't wait for the email updates, and have to personally check all threads for new replies every fifteen minutes. :(

Hookbill the Goomba 01-18-2008 07:06 AM

In my univercity course (Creative Writing) we have a Fantasy Fiction module. As part of our coursework we have to make a biography of a new character for our imaginary world, and this is the one I did:

Lómmi was the daughter of Philip who was the son of Philipip, the emperor of the Penguins. She was born in Edarnia in the year that the great darkness of Fácen was driven away. For fifteen years she dwelt among the hills of Pengover and explored the barrows there in. There were many Penguins who came there and soon they grew in number to one hundred. They took Lómmi as their leader, wandering through the Pengish lands and making mischief. But when the Lizard King left for the land of Norán, they became worried, for the barrows were disturbed.
After one year of wandering, they took a boat to Bunchnoic, the Penguin settlement on the main land, and there explored the wide forests. When the Wolf clan began to rise and war broke out in Lizarn Major, the Penguins of Lómmi wandered into Fellin, a Bearish settlement. there they found a small town besieged by the wolf followers. Lómmi lead the Penguins in battle and they rescued the town from destruction. So, when they returned they had great renown among the Penguins and their number was made much greater. Seeing that they were strong and the Pengish folk willing, Lómmi lead them into the forest to attempt an assault upon Helzar, but they were driven back by a new evil. For some Penguins had been corrupted to the Wolf followers and they were red of feathers and green of eyes. The Blood-Penguins they were named.
For the next year they battled and were driven back over the sea to Edarnia until the Blood Penguins came after them. More of that great battle in Emporia is told in the Book of Diyn. But once all was won, though at great loss, Lómmi was distressed. For many of her friends had fallen in the battle and she took what remained of her folk and went to Penguve, the south Pole, and remained there until the final assault on Helzar began. Then she arose with ten thousand Penguins she had gathered in that time and won renown, yet lost many more things.
And when her father, Philip, announced that Wybren the Dragon would be made a Thain of Edarnia, she grew wrathful and asked him "Why have you done this thing? The Dragons are our foes and ever shall be."
"Wybren is a friend," said Philip, "and he has saved my feathers more times than I care to mention. Besides which, I say that the Dragons should be our friends." But Lómmi was reluctant.
She lived then in Emporia before sailing the sea to visit King Diyn by request. And he told her the tale of Philip and Wybren and so she understood. Yet she did not return to her father's house, but stayed in Lizarn until she died, aged 97. Wybren himself buried her next to her father in the barrows she had loved and so the peace between Penguins and Dragons begun.

But this is an abridged version. :D

Next week, I'll write about Rune the Bear who was the first to sail to the Drago Lands. ;)

Thinlómien 01-18-2008 08:27 AM

I don't want to seem conceited, but sometimes when I'm reading this thread, it crosses my mind that we should perhaps have a separate thread called "Top Ten Signs You're Addicted to Thinlómien"... ;) :p

Seriously though, that was just awesome, Hookbill. I quite like the fact that my alter ego is a warrior princess (hopefully not any kind of Xena II though). Actually, Lómmi reminds me very much of Haleth, who is one of my all-time favourite Tolkien characters. It is a great honour to be part of your mythology, Sir Hookbill, and I was more than amused by the references to a certain forum... :D

P.S.
Quote:

Next week, I'll write about Rune the Bear who was the first to sail to the Drago Lands.
I'll be looking forward to that...

Finduilas 01-18-2008 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien (Post 543954)
I don't want to seem conceited, but sometimes when I'm reading this thread, it crosses my mind that we should perhaps have a separate thread called "Top Ten Signs You're Addicted to Thinlómien"... ;) :p

You're just a sign of addiction.

Bęthberry 01-18-2008 02:18 PM

Ent it the truth

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kath (Post 543171)
When you're watching a clip from 'Britain's most interesting trees' (or whatever it was actually called) and you can't help but think the man being interviewed is actually an ent, so when you see Bethberry's post on here you can't help but mention it!

I think my post here was not precisely on topic. Such a post should more properly be in a thread on Top Ten Signs You're Addicted to Tolkien Incunabula.

Hookbill the Goomba 01-19-2008 12:10 PM

Today I saw some interesting graffiti on an old derelict building. It simply said 'Squatters!' in bold red paint. I almost went to it and put an apostrophe before the second 's'. I also wanted to draw a trilby next to it. :D

Legate of Amon Lanc 01-19-2008 03:44 PM

An obvious sign is when you see the sentence: "Volo filium meum bene discere" and on first sight you think it means something like "Volo is teaching my son well". :D

Legate of Amon Lanc 01-21-2008 05:19 AM

First, a double-post on the Addiction thread is definitely a sign of addiction in itself :rolleyes:

Second, a serious sign of addiction is when you are carrying along with your identity card, student card, traffic season-ticket etc., also an I.C.E. Middle-Earth playing card "Barrow-Wight". And yes, I've been doing that for almost two weeks now.

Third, a sign of not overall-Downs, but Werewolf addiction is when you can't help to laugh when seeing this on your faculty's home page:
Quote:

Deadline pro přihlášky je čtvrtek 21.2.2008 do 15:00 na zahraničním oddělení.
Noo, it does not concern what you think it concerns :D But very interesting anyway, as "deadline" is definitely not a word used in Czech talk even as adopted word, and only several weird people use it because they are used to it from elsewhere... Hmm... I wonder what they are doing at the faculty administration while they're having a pause from work? ;)

The Might 01-21-2008 09:36 AM

When every time you start Mozilla (I hope you don't use IE :mad:) you open a tab for BD right at the start even though you were actually intentding to look at something else.

Thinlómien 01-21-2008 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Might (Post 544209)
When every time you start Mozilla (I hope you don't use IE :mad:) you open a tab for BD right at the start even though you were actually intentding to look at something else.

Familiar feeling. :D Also, related to that, when you are supposed to click your google/ wikipedia / e-mail / else link when you open Mozilla, you accidentally click your BD link...

Volo 01-21-2008 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien (Post 544211)
Also, related to that, when you are supposed to click your google/ wikipedia / e-mail / else link when you open Mozilla, you accidentally click your BD link...

When you agonize over forgetting what you were supposed to write here, but find exactly that in the preveous post.

The Might 01-21-2008 10:16 AM

Yes, "accidentally". :D