The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Top Ten Signs You're Addicted to the Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5145)

Eönwë 06-30-2009 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark (Post 602081)
It is, so is checking the "Who's Online" feature:cool:

Yep, that's definately true

Also, when you try to rep people on other websites.

TheGreatElvenWarrior 07-01-2009 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eönwë (Post 602192)

Also, when you try to rep people on other websites.

I tried to do that once before...

Morsul the Dark 07-01-2009 10:41 PM

you spend a half hour searching for ONE specific post you somehow remember making about 4 years ago

EDIT it was Actually nearl 5 years ago

TheGreatElvenWarrior 07-02-2009 08:17 PM

Yesterday two things happened that make me wonder why I'm not in a mental institution...

First, we pull up to my grandparents house and my brother shouts:
"It's the Sauce Pan Man!"

Second:
We were watching television and an advertisement came on; it said:
"Get your new Phantom today."

Morsul the Dark 07-03-2009 12:38 AM

not sure if this counts as "Addiction" or "Narcissism" anyone else search fdor themselves to see if anyone's talking about them?

Hakon 07-03-2009 01:35 AM

I have not done that, but thanks for the idea.

I can tell I am addicted since every time the internet or email is mentioned in a book I am reading, I instantly think about this site.

Morsul the Dark 07-11-2009 10:11 AM

I may be the only one but...

As soon as you find out someone likes LOTR even in the smallest bit you suggest they check out the barrowdowns

Boromir88 07-11-2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark (Post 603385)
I may be the only one but...

As soon as you find out someone likes LOTR even in the smallest bit you suggest they check out the barrowdowns

Haha, I've been going beyond that with my roommate. :rolleyes: He is pretty obsessed with Harry Potter, so I figured he would have liked LOTR too, but was flabbergasted when he said he didn't. He just said he never understood the movies, and I went into a long lecture about he has to read the books (if he liked 'His Dark Materials' he would have to love Tolkien! was my thinking). Then we did an all day marathon of the 3 movies, where I sat and dutifully answered every question he had, any confusion he was undergoing, and still nothing. :rolleyes:

Is that obsessive?

Morsul the Dark 07-11-2009 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boromir88 (Post 603390)
Haha, I've been going beyond that with my roommate. :rolleyes: He is pretty obsessed with Harry Potter, so I figured he would have liked LOTR too, but was flabbergasted when he said he didn't. He just said he never understood the movies, and I went into a long lecture about he has to read the books (if he liked 'His Dark Materials' he would have to love Tolkien! was my thinking). Then we did an all day marathon of the 3 movies, where I sat and dutifully answered every question he had, any confusion he was undergoing, and still nothing. :rolleyes:

Is that obsessive?

Only slightly:D

Eönwë 07-24-2009 04:53 AM

When whatever you open Firefox for, you automatically go first on the 'Downs and then wonder how you got there... :rolleyes:

satansaloser2005 08-16-2009 10:33 PM

All the time, Steve, all the time. (Except I use internet explorer.:D)

This was one of my friend's facebook status.

Quote:

loved dancing her face off and being a super hero with *censored*'s wolf
pack!!
I had already started to comment about how she'd made a HUGE mistake/slip. Then I realized that A: I was on facebook and B: she's not a Downer.

Thinlómien 08-17-2009 01:03 PM

I just realised that there's a bar named Elmo's Bar on my way to work. :D

satansaloser2005 08-17-2009 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien (Post 607739)
I just realised that there's a bar named Elmo's Bar on my way to work. :D

We have a liquor store with that name in the town where I went to college. :)

Thinlómien 09-12-2009 04:31 PM

I've been (re)reading the Harry Potter series, and the ghosts celebrating deathdays amused me greatly (and so did the Filibuster Fireworks, which is probably a really bad sign!).

Also, Legate, Greenie and I were watching Disney's Robin Hood the other day and we cracked up totally when we found out the cute little rabbit is called Skippy. :D

Pitchwife 09-14-2009 08:06 AM

When you're in a new job and have to start one hour earlier than was your wont, plus 40 minutes of driving to work, all of which really sucks because you've always been a late sleeper - and yet you manage to get up another 5 minutes early just so you can spend those 5 minutes on the Downs reading last Night's narration from your current WW game and finding out who was killed.
(Needless to say, you weren't as disciplined the night before when the sensible thing would have been to go to sleep an hour before DL, at the latest!).

Eönwë 09-20-2009 01:47 PM

When you regret not posting on the Downs yesterD... erm... yesterday because you didn't have a chance to make the most of Talk Like a Pirate Day. :rolleyes: :cool: :smokin:

Boromir88 09-23-2009 09:51 AM

As I was making my normal, routine trip to Starbucks yesterday morning. I parked next to a lime-green Honda Civic. On the side, in yellow print was "The Green Dragon" and beneath it something about rewarder's points.

I chuckled and considered taking a picture, but thought it would be unethical. What I did not know, is the man in front of me in line at Starbucks was the driver of The Green Dragon vehicle. So, as we were walking out and both back to our respective cars, I asked where I could find The Green Dragon, because I heard it has the best ale north of the Ohio River. I could not resist the temptation.

I thought it was funny, the guy just stared at me awkwardly, as if waiting to find out whether he heard me correctly and not wanting to put him through anymore awkwardness just said "have a good day."

TheGreatElvenWarrior 09-25-2009 12:07 AM

This is great, Boro! Sounds like something any of us would do!

Nienna 09-25-2009 03:30 PM

You realize that the in-depth analysis that you have to do for each reading (for a Graduate School class) is a surprisingly familiar and easy task. Then you realize that it is because of time spent doing WW analysis.

Legate of Amon Lanc 09-26-2009 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nienna (Post 611650)
You realize that the in-depth analysis that you have to do for each reading (for a Graduate School class) is a surprisingly familiar and easy task. Then you realize that it is because of time spent doing WW analysis.

Actually, a few Days ago I thought (AIIIEEE OH MY! LOOK WHAT I JUST WROTE! "few Days"!! Well THAT was not intentional at all :eek: )... err anyway... yes, I thought that I could post here that I was reading the programs of political parties and I found that I am going through the different politicians in my mind just exactly the way as if I was thinking who of them is a Wolf.

Nogrod 09-26-2009 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc (Post 611694)
I found that I am going through the different politicians in my mind just exactly the way as if I was thinking who of them is a Wolf.

I tend to have similar reactions in RL as well whether it be politics, economics... It is kind of weird to realise it. :rolleyes:

Pitchwife 09-26-2009 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc (Post 611694)
I found that I am going through the different politicians in my mind just exactly the way as if I was thinking who of them is a Wolf.

Are there actually any innocents in politics?

It's somehow fitting that you mention that right now - tomorrow's election day in Germany, and I don't really trust any of them, so I might be tempted to vote
++No Captain:D

Eönwë 09-26-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boromir88 (Post 611368)
As I was making my normal, routine trip to Starbucks yesterday morning. I parked next to a lime-green Honda Civic. On the side, in yellow print was "The Green Dragon" and beneath it something about rewarder's points.

I chuckled and considered taking a picture, but thought it would be unethical. What I did not know, is the man in front of me in line at Starbucks was the driver of The Green Dragon vehicle. So, as we were walking out and both back to our respective cars, I asked where I could find The Green Dragon, because I heard it has the best ale north of the Ohio River. I could not resist the temptation.

I thought it was funny, the guy just stared at me awkwardly, as if waiting to find out whether he heard me correctly and not wanting to put him through anymore awkwardness just said "have a good day."

Haha!

On that note, today, while going somewhere, we passed a pub called The Green Dragon. You can imagine my reaction. I'll have to remember to go there sometime (though I am to young to buy alcohol). ;)

Thinlómien 10-07-2009 07:15 AM

Probably if the word "stick" first brings to your mind a 'downer. And especially if you are very startled to see the last name only one letter different from Mac and Rikae's only a minute after spotting the word "stick" on some garbage on the street. *shakes head in a worried manner*

Nienna 10-07-2009 11:35 AM

Hahahaha Lommy that is fabulous.

satansaloser2005 10-13-2009 06:06 PM

*cackles*

I compulsively check the Facebook thread for the Boston (Tea) Party now. Just sayin'.

Also, I was waiting for a page to load and part of the code/site/whatever was "&author=token". My first thought was "Ah, if only. That'd be funny." My second was "Oh gosh, they're turning me into one of them!" :p

Brinniel 10-18-2009 09:50 PM

You know you're addicted when you start to recognise BDers in films...

So I'm currently watching Ingmar Bergman's Smultronstället and suddenly I come across a character and think, "Omg, it's skippy." :eek: No joke. I looked up pictures of the actor and found these:
One
Two
Three

Surely I'm not going crazy. So skippy, any chance you're related to an actor from the 1950's?

Gwathagor 10-19-2009 11:18 AM

Is that last one from Wild Strawberries?

Legate of Amon Lanc 10-19-2009 12:02 PM

A sign is...

...when you forget to take the food you bought out of the bag because you first go to check the 'Downs :rolleyes: Well, it was there roughly for a little bit less than an hour...

skip spence 10-19-2009 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brinniel (Post 613753)
You know you're addicted when you start to recognise BDers in films...

So I'm currently watching Ingmar Bergman's Smultronstället and suddenly I come across a character and think, "Omg, it's skippy." :eek: No joke. I looked up pictures of the actor and found these:
One
Two
Three

Surely I'm not going crazy. So skippy, any chance you're related to an actor from the 1950's?

No, I'm not. And yes, you probably are. :D

It's funny that this film depicts a trip to the city where I live (yes, I googled that) but to be honest I don't quite see the resemblance. Thanks for telling me I look like a film star though! :)

Morsul the Dark 10-20-2009 05:12 AM

When you can't go onlne(Or more of shouldn't) All ypu can think about is who's getting lynched in WW

Loslote 10-20-2009 06:42 PM

When you write an epic(ish) poem about what's going on in WW during PreCalc...:rolleyes:

Morsul the Dark 10-20-2009 07:00 PM

You'll share said poem yes?

Loslote 10-20-2009 07:04 PM

If I ever finish...it's kind of dependent of the outcome of McCaber's game, plus it's not very good. *blushes*

Inziladun 10-20-2009 07:05 PM

When you read a well written news article online and catch yourself looking for a rep button.

Also, when you drive past a sign which says 'Lindale Road' and immediately make the Downs connexion.

Hakon 10-20-2009 07:19 PM

You start looking for ways to use everyone you know on the downs as characters in an epic story that I will probably never write.

Loslote 10-23-2009 07:10 PM

When you find Nienna's siggie quote in Spanish class and immediately recognize it, even though it's in Spanish, and start hyperventilating. ;)

Nienna 10-23-2009 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loslote (Post 614279)
When you find Nienna's siggie quote in Spanish class and immediately recognize it, even though it's in Spanish, and start hyperventilating. ;)

hahaha that's fabulous.

Morsul the Dark 10-23-2009 11:14 PM

anyone else forget about the Actual website barrowdowns.com not the forum?:eek:

I just went through it for old time's sake I'm taking the "walk to Rivendell" challenge Isengard here I come

Rune Son of Bjarne 10-24-2009 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark (Post 614293)
anyone else forget about the Actual website barrowdowns.com not the forum?:eek:

I just went through it for old time's sake I'm taking the "walk to Rivendell" challenge Isengard here I come

I did not know the actual website existed for the first months I was active on the forum.