The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Paper Telephone. (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=13160)

High King Fingolfin 12-07-2006 11:52 PM

I only said he was a balrog because that was how he was labeled.

That being said, I don't think that wings would have helped at all had he not been labelled.

Glirdan 12-08-2006 02:25 PM

Quote:

I only said he was a balrog because that was how he was labeled.

That being said, I don't think that wings would have helped at all had he not been labelled.
:( I know I can't draw but come on!! It wasn't THAT bad!!

Legate of Amon Lanc 12-08-2006 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glirdan
:( I know I can't draw but come on!! It wasn't THAT bad!!

Don't worry. This time I'm in, and you'll surely see it can be worse.

High King Fingolfin 12-08-2006 11:36 PM

I'm very sorry Glirdy, but the labels were the only way I could tell who anyone wass. But that's part of the fun of the game, mistaken identities.

Hookbill the Goomba 12-22-2006 10:34 AM

How's the current game going, Holby?

I'm a little concerned that I've not had my go yet. :(

Holbytlass 12-23-2006 04:06 PM

I'm terribly sorry for the longer wait, had some technical difficulties that have put us about a week behind, but it is still going on!

elronds_daughter 01-03-2007 10:24 AM

Flexibility...

Does the draw-er have to draw (either by hand or with digital tools), or is one allowed to do a collage of sorts?

Hookbill the Goomba 01-03-2007 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elronds_daughter
Does the draw-er have to draw (either by hand or with digital tools), or is one allowed to do a collage of sorts?

As long as it's a picture of some kind, it's fine. :)

elronds_daughter 01-03-2007 10:58 AM

Excellent. I have such a grand idea.....time will tell if I'll be able to pull it off.

The Might 01-03-2007 11:01 AM

I see this game will be over in a few days, so please put me on the list for the next one as well
Don't want to ask for too much, but if possivle I'd like to draw :D

Holbytlass 01-03-2007 04:14 PM

Between my stupid computer and the holidays it will be longer than the 6th.
I'm sorry that the timing is so off but I assure everyone that this telephone call may be the best yet and well worth the wait. I and my children look at the sentences and drawings everyday and have a good laugh.

The Might you are on the next list.

Rikae 01-03-2007 04:37 PM

After seeing the sentence you sent me, I won't be surprised if this is the funniest yet!

Hookbill the Goomba 01-09-2007 02:33 PM

How is the game doing so far? It's always nice to get updates every once in a while.

Perhaps we should say that, in future, after each player has sent their picture or sentence to the mod, then they should post on the thread so we can all keep track of where we're up to. :)

elronds_daughter 01-09-2007 02:43 PM

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Count me in for the next round!

Holbytlass 01-09-2007 03:00 PM

Orominuialwen(draw)
Nimrodel_9(write)
The Ka(draw)
dancing spawn(write)
Damrod(draw)

This is where we are. Orom has the sentence to draw*hint, hint-check PM*

High King Fingolfin 01-09-2007 03:54 PM

Oro has the sentence, and has started work on the picture.

Holbytlass 01-09-2007 04:40 PM

Oh, good, thanks for letting me know. I get an idea when I see the P.M. confirmation of receipt. I was starting to worry but not now :D.

Holbytlass 01-13-2007 07:16 PM

the next call has been sent to Nimrodel

Legate of Amon Lanc 01-14-2007 10:48 AM

Yay! That means we are getting close to the end - I can't wait! You know, I have just participated here for the first time and this is something more than just looking at what the others do, I am really curious what was the original idea and what was before me (and what was done from what I have done later); you know, you are a part of the chain and it is... interesting, really much fun... yay, it's just soo great game and I recommend to all of you who have not tried it yet to join for the next session (would there be any? Holby?)... which I'd really like to participate in, ahem, ahem, by the way, if it would be possible... (if there'll be a place of course) But really, I recommend it to everyone, I loved it!

Hookbill the Goomba 01-14-2007 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
I recommend to all of you who have not tried it yet to join for the next session (would there be any? Holby?)...

If neither Holby or myself can mod the next one, is anyone interested in doing so? I know it would be difficult for me, because my next semester's time table looks like a bad one. :(

Glirdan 01-14-2007 12:01 PM

I would, but exam time is coming up in two weeks so it's crunch time with marks and homework and all that jazz so I just don't have time right now.

Firefoot 01-14-2007 12:26 PM

What all does modding entail? Obviously, pm'ing people with pictures and sentences etc, but what how are all the pictures kept/communicated? I haven't done a lot with imaging online. If it's not too hard, I could probably do it.

Hookbill the Goomba 01-14-2007 12:31 PM

Well, the basics are as follows:

I keep a word document that keeps track of the sentences and URLs of the pictures.

PM, of course, the first sentence to the first player, along with your E-mail address. They E-mail you the picture. using something like Photobucket or Tinypic, you upload the picture and copy the URL into the word document*. Then you send the URL to the next player and they PM the sentence back, which you then copy into word. Then you PM the sentence to the next player and so on and so forth...

*Especially if using Tinypic.com as it doesnt keep a record for you.

Holbytlass 01-14-2007 12:38 PM

I have a photobucket account which is free.

A person will email me their picture, I save it "My Documents" I title the picture as PT5pic2 (or whatever the number is). Then I go to my photobucket-download the picture from "my documents". Then I go to the PM's and pm the next person with the link to the picture from the photobucket. They pm me back the sentence they made up.

To keep everything straight- I keep a list of everyone's picture link or sentence in a saved wordpad in "my documents" entitled Papertelephone5.

For example:
Elrondsdaughter=http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/JoelCornah/candyland.jpg
Mormegil=An Ent wife and a gingerbread devil study a map of Candyland while the spy Alatar flies over them.

hehe-xposted with hookbill

Firefoot 01-14-2007 01:16 PM

Okay. I think I can handle that.

elronds_daughter 01-15-2007 08:55 AM

I'm also willing to mod a game...whenever it's needed. Looks like Firefoot will be modding the next one...no doubt that will make things interesting!

Holbytlass 01-21-2007 05:55 PM

Dancing Spawn is being called

Hookbill the Goomba 01-26-2007 02:04 PM

How is it going at the moment? Sorry if I sound impatient. :p

Also, for the next game, I'd like to do some writing, for I think I've offended the eyes of the Downers for too long so far. :D

Holbytlass 01-26-2007 02:55 PM

Damrod has the call. It's so close I can almost taste it :p <---licking.

BTW, just so everyone knows, Hookbill taught me how to mod this and my explanation sounds like I came up with it all by myself. There, I feel better now, I can sleep at night. He also has been quite helpful with my questions and help downloading pics when my irritating computer isn't co-operating. I thank you, Hook.

Damrod 01-26-2007 04:14 PM

:D I just sent in the pic, so i'll hope it works this time. soon we shall see how this all turns out.

Firefoot 01-26-2007 04:59 PM

Looking forward...

Several people signed up several weeks ago when this game was scheduled to end. However, just to make sure all of them are still interested, I'd like to ask that you post again. And everyone, when you sign up, please tell if you'd rather write or draw or don't care.

Also keeping in mind just how off schedule this round got, I'd like to propose a round with fewer people... say 10?

Legate of Amon Lanc 01-27-2007 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefoot
Several people signed up several weeks ago when this game was scheduled to end. However, just to make sure all of them are still interested, I'd like to ask that you post again. And everyone, when you sign up, please tell if you'd rather write or draw or don't care.

Also keeping in mind just how off schedule this round got, I'd like to propose a round with fewer people... say 10?

Okay, since you asked, I want to confirm the booking of my place rightaway :D

No, seriously, if there will be a place for me, I'd like to join, but if there'd be any interest from more people who haven't participated yet, I'll gladly let them to take the place.

And if I participate, I'd like to draw, if possible. Although at first I considered myself not capable of drawing anything, I quite enjoyed it in the end. (well, if my picture scares you when the results are published, I might retreat to writing)

Holbytlass 01-27-2007 08:26 AM

At last! Heralding in the long awaited Paper Telephone the Fifth!
dumdadadumdumdumdumdadadumdumudum(anyone whos has seen SpongeBob Squarepants Krusty Krab training video knows that this is to go on for the next 5 minutes)...

I started the call with
Saruman catches his orc(s) sampling his wine and "Ol' Toby".

Thinlomien draws this festive scene
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...g?t=1165439343

Of which Glirdan states that
A Balrog and Goblin are completely drunk of wine and are decorating their tree with a scary Gandalf face.

Rikae draws this ghoulishly fun
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...g?t=1167149750

Oddwen notes
A drunken Balrog and Gollum are rockin' around a Christmas tree artfully decorated with severed heads, at the Barad-Dur party house.

Hookbill renders this hot happening place
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...g?t=1167248357

Farael observes
A party in Mordor where a big Sauron eye apologizes for a shortage of crisps while a drunken balrog, a Huron dressed as an X-mas tree and Gollum dance around.

Legate gives a differing view of that hot happening place
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ephone-005.jpg

It is Firefoot's opinion
No one seems to be happy with Sauron right now: he lost Gollum's crisps, decorated an Ent for Christmas, and destroyed a flameless-Balrog's wings, who is now planning to poison Sauron

Elrond's Daughter takes a new medium and gives us
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...g?t=1168000398

executive producer High King Fingolfin mandates
In the script for a TV special, Sauron decides to do some of the weirdest things possible.

Oromin gives us the weird
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...g?t=1168739505

Nimrodel reports on the atmosphere
Crisis had struck Mordor and Sauron was about to go on an emotional rampage, but worst of all, the Nazgul were currently unemployed.

The Ka's vision of the crisis
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...g?t=1169423113

Dancing Spawn announces
Sauron's inadequacy at economics leads him to firing the Nine who receive the news with mixed feelings.

Damrod ends with
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...g?t=1169905666

elronds_daughter 01-27-2007 09:44 AM

Ha! That was a good round....

Count me in for the next round; I'd like to write this time, if I could.

Hookbill the Goomba 01-27-2007 11:49 AM

Absolutely BRILLIANT!
That was the best one so far!:D

I'm going in for the next one for writing if possible! :cool:

Glirdan 01-27-2007 12:20 PM

That was fantastic!! I love this game!! So much fun seeing what others came up with! :D

I think I may sit out on this one and give someone else a chance. But if you need somebody, just holler and I'd be happy to join in!

Legate of Amon Lanc 01-27-2007 12:27 PM

Wow! That's something! I was worried it will never come up! Great! Great, great works!

I like how nicely it got twisted :D Interestingly, it seems that with upcoming Christmas, the Christmas theme leaked into the line, although it wasn't included in the original at all :)

Some of the descriptions are just hilarious! And the pictures as well (I'd put the later ones under cathegory called "Agh Bourse ishi-krimpatul".)

And I really like Rikae's balrog btw. Great artwork.

dancing spawn of ungoliant 01-27-2007 01:07 PM

Seeing the result was definitely worth waiting for! All the pics look great, and I must say that Damrod's Sauron is irresistibly adorable with all his spikes in disarray. :D

If there's room for the next round, I'd like to give this another go.

Rikae 01-27-2007 05:16 PM

Aw, shucks, Legate! I thought your ent was particularly awesome. Great expression!
This was absolutely hilarious; I don't think I will ever get tired of Silly-Sauron humor.
I'll sit the next one out, since I've probably played in more than my share of these games.

Firefoot 01-27-2007 07:53 PM

Brilliant! That was all over the place... :D

Draw:
Legate
Holby
Might
Damrod

Write:
Hookbill
elrond's daughter
Rune
Nimrodel