The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Tolkien Rocks (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5356)

Toad Onion Rock Pole Seat 06-14-2002 04:42 PM

Tolkien Rocks

I have read the Hobbit and all three books of the Lord of the Rings 37 times since 1980.

Aldagrim Proudfoot 06-14-2002 04:45 PM

Wow, I've only read them twice since 95.

burrahobbit 06-14-2002 04:47 PM

Have you ever read the Silmarillion?

*Varda* 06-14-2002 04:47 PM

that's amazing! 37 times! i've only read them twice since i was 12, saying that i'm still only 15 and haven't had years to read them over and over

obloquy 06-14-2002 04:49 PM

i can almost do a backflip

Joy 06-14-2002 05:36 PM

Mae Govannan Toad Onion. Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo.(A star shines on the hour of our meeting.)

Welcome to the Downs. Hope you enjoy your stay and post often.

Child of the 7th Age 06-14-2002 05:39 PM

I've been reading Tolkien over 35 years, but I don't think I've read LotR 37 times? Have you read HoMe of the Silmarillon or Unfinished Tales?

sharon, the 7th age hobbit

Tigerlily Gamgee 06-14-2002 07:11 PM

<font color=gold>Goodness me, do I ever have some catching up to do! I have read the whole trilogy once, but I went back and re-read The Two Towers again (I also read The Silmarillion). I still want to re-read them all, but I must first finish reading the fourth Harry Potter book, followed by The Mists of Avalon, and The Chronicles of Narnia.
I guess I am not doing so bad though since my first time through it was back in January of this year! I am sad to admit that I didn't read anything for years... but the works of Tolkien have inspired me to keep on reading and reading!

Evenstar1 06-14-2002 07:21 PM

Welcome to the Downs, Toad Onion (or do you prefer TORPS?)!!

Wow! Thirty-seven times! I think you win! (Okay, I don't know that for a fact, but if it was a contest between you and me, you'd have won: I've only read the Hobbit and Trilogy once, so far!)

Cheers!

mark12_30 06-14-2002 09:52 PM

Hi, Toad. You humble me! I'm on my twelfth time thru. Want some real humble pie? I think I remember Maril saying she's gone over 50. Yowza. She knows ALL about Frodo. Welcome to the Downs. Hey, here's a question I';ve posted in another thread-- can you think of a specific example of Frodo Baggins being "perky"? Gandalf says that he is in his description to Butterbur ("Perky chap with a bright eye") but I have a hard time coming up with examples of Perky things Frodo has said or done. What do you think, Toad? --Mark12_30

Birdland 06-14-2002 10:03 PM

Quote:

obloquy - "I can almost do a backflip."
Yeah, but can you almost do a backflip while reading "The Silmarillion"?

Belin 06-14-2002 10:14 PM

Hey, a Middle-Earth geology thread!

*looks around*

Um, oh, never mind. Welcome to the 'Downs, Toad Onion... There are many interesting conversations here, as you've probably noticed.

--Belin Ibaimendi

Lush 06-14-2002 10:17 PM

Wow, where do you find the time?

Bramblerose Gamgee-Took 06-15-2002 12:01 AM

Wow, I've only read LOTR twice, and Im reading the Hobbit for the second time. I still cant find the Silmarillion though [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Ungoliant 06-15-2002 12:19 AM

37 times? That is quite a feat. I admit, although the bookworm i am, I have only read the trilogy once, except TTT twice, the hobbit once and the Sillmarillion once.

NazgulNumber10 06-15-2002 10:04 AM

I got em last year and have read them 8 times. I know it's sad but i have other things to do. Ok not really. I have nothing to do. (picks up book)
[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Legolas 06-15-2002 10:13 AM

I inadvertently did a back-flip while reading the Silmarillion when the bar-stool I was sitting on fell against the couch behind it and I was sent over it.

Well, not really.

Gimli Son Of Gloin 06-15-2002 11:20 AM

I've only read LotR in its entirerty once. Same with the Hobbit. Now I've been trying to find a copy of The Silmarillian. No luck...

Lindolirian 06-15-2002 12:18 PM

I ve read LotR 33 times , Hobbit 7, Sil 5, Unfinished Tales 3 times, and HoME #1-5 one time since 1999.

BTW i took a speed reading class so about 20 of the LotRs are sped-read but the rest are read normally.

[ June 15, 2002: Message edited by: Lindolirian ]

Tarthang 06-15-2002 12:48 PM

I usually read The Hobbit and LOTR anywhere from two to four times a year. Read the Silm three times and am working on HOME, in no particular order.

*Varda* 06-15-2002 03:22 PM

The Silm is a good book so keep looking! i love it although i'm only a few pages in. I wouldn't know if it was hard to find, my copy is my dad's and he's had it since 1978 so...

i feel so behind having only read LotR twice and the hobbit... three times i think?

Naaramare 06-15-2002 03:32 PM

I stopped counting at my thirty-second reread of LotR.

That was seven years ago. I reread them on an average of once a month. So . . . :: shrugs:: ^^

The Silver-shod Muse 06-15-2002 04:29 PM

I couldn't read a book that many times over if my life depended upon it. The way I see it, I'm only gonna live about a century at the most, so I've got a lot of books to read before I know everything... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img].

About the Sil, if you go to www.bn.com (that's Barnes and Noble, the bookstore) you can order it for $7.00, but that might apply only if you're in the US.

Raefindel 06-15-2002 05:18 PM

<font color=blue>Gimli, I'm tempted to send you my copy of the Sil. I know I'll never read it.

Welcome to the Downs, Onion Toad. I'm like Gimli,I've only read them in thier entirety once but have re-read, skipping parts, countless times in the last 22 years.

How did you come up with that name, BTW?

[ June 15, 2002: Message edited by: Raefindel ]

[ June 15, 2002: Message edited by: Raefindel ]

Lothiriel Silmarien 06-15-2002 05:23 PM

Hey, welcome to the Downs Toad!!! Is it ok if I call you that?

obloquy 06-16-2002 03:39 PM

you read lotr in 30 seconds?~?!?!@!??!

Raefindel 06-16-2002 10:30 PM

No! Silly! He read it 32 times!

Galadrie1 06-17-2002 05:44 PM

I've read LOTR once, and the Hobbit i think 5 times...but two of those times i didn't finish it, or something..i dunno, i read too much stuff, so it's hard to keep track.

ElanorGamgee 06-17-2002 06:20 PM

I've read through The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit a couple times, Smith of Wootton Major and Farmer Giles of Ham once, and right now I'm reading Unfinished Tales for the first time. Next I'd like to read The Silmarillion and start on the books from the series The History of Middle-earth.

[ June 17, 2002: Message edited by: ElanorGamgee ]

Sam Gamgee 06-17-2002 06:26 PM

HoMe, got it, History of Middle-earth, thanks for clearin' that up Elanor [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Mkay, so, Toad, I admire you, I have only been into Mordor with Sam and Frodo thrice. Wow. Am I the only one that gets stuck at the council or Elrond for four days, or what?

Also read the Hobbit a few more times than LOTR, and I started both the Silmarillion and the Unfinished Tales, and tried t' read 'em, didn't get too far. Little tricky.

"And Melkor sang, and he sang differently, and *whats-his-name* was angry, and he sang louder..." etc.
Too much for my sad little short attention span. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ June 17, 2002: Message edited by: Sam Gamgee ]

gollum*elf*pup 06-18-2002 03:20 PM

i've read the hobbit, lotr, the sil and unfinished tales a couple times each, but i cant tell you the exact number, cause i dont know how to count!! i really liked unfinished tales tho, it was good!! you people who havent read it yet should!!!

[ June 18, 2002: Message edited by: gollum*elf*pup ]

Lady_Báin 06-20-2002 04:01 AM

HEY SAMO you are not the only one i also was a bit stuck on the Counsil part (*cough* 1 week *cough*). I've only read the hobbit and lotr, though i'm on my first rereading of lotr (but i don't own the hobbit so i can't do much about that). The sil. is in my household but i don't think i could ever get through it after the first sentence [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] . I have short-attention-span-itis

Maikadurwen 06-27-2003 09:49 AM

what???

Meela 06-27-2003 11:11 AM

I've read the Denethor parts.

And the Council Of Elrond chapter, which is just about the best thing I have ever read.

[ June 27, 2003: Message edited by: Meela ]

dancing spawn of ungoliant 06-27-2003 11:35 AM

Quote:

I've read the Denethor parts
surprise, surprise [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

i have read lotr 4 times, hobbit twice, the sil twice and unfinished tales once...so there are still a few pages to 37 times [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ June 27, 2003: Message edited by: dancing spawn of ungoliant ]

Horse-Maiden of the Shire 06-27-2003 04:55 PM

The Trilogy: Twice,
The Hobbit: Twice,
The Sil: Once,
UT: Once.

Ah, the power of Tolkiens.

Shy Hobbit 06-27-2003 07:12 PM

37 times! That is quite impressive [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] I imagine I'll get to a similar number sooner or later. I've only read The Hobbit and the Trilogy once, but I'm re-reading the trilogy right now. My mom won't buy me the books, she says that's what libraries are for [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] But until I get a job and a decent cash flow, I settle for library copies. I decided to read each book as many times as I can in the time I have it, though I'm enjoying them alot more the second time round. The first time I kinda rushed though them just so I could avoid further spoilers. I'm also a fan of the Council of Elrond chapter, and even though I was tempted to skip them on my third read of FotR, the Old forest through Barrow-downs chapters. There's alot of character development and story background there.

And "In the House of Tom Bombadil" is just a lovely little piece to read just before going to bed [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Meela 06-27-2003 07:20 PM

Quote:

And "In the House of Tom Bombadil" is just a lovely little piece to read just before going to bed [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Yeh, if you enjoy having nightmares...

I am terrified of Tom. I would never sleep after reading even his name.

Shy Hobbit 06-27-2003 09:14 PM

Quote:

*laughs*
Meela, you poor thing. I don't know. Sometimes I think the concept of Bombadil is a bit creepy, and other times it just seems like a pleasant place to be. But if not that chapter, then the part of Three Is Company where they meet Gildor. I adore that peice as well.

Olorin 06-27-2003 10:00 PM

Wow, then again, I'm not surprised you guys have read the books so many times. I myself have read LotR once and am on my secong time of the hobbit. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]