The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What other fantasy books do YOU read? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=1338)

Birdland 03-25-2002 09:36 PM

Don't any of you young'uns read T.H. White anymore? (sniffle...sigh) Before there was Tolkien for me, there was "The Once and Future King". And his lesser known work "Mistress Masham's Repose".

If you haven't read White, you don't know what you're missing!

Child of the 7th Age 03-27-2002 04:57 AM

T.H. White, The Once and Future King---what a great book. Not in the same class as Tolkien, but just one step below. It's interesting that T.A. Shippey, when he recently did an interview about his Tolkien biography and his Road to Middle Earth, was asked if we would see GREAT fantasy writers in the future. He replied sadly that characters like Tolkien and T.H. White are gone. The type of education we offer as well as the way the modern world tends to iron out differences between regions, individuals, etc. makes it less likely that we will get the kind of books that White and Tolkien wrote, books that come from the very soul and make one weep in joy and sadness. He said he hoped he was wrong, but he feared it was so. Don't you love the way White describes and uses animals in his work to teach the young king. Tolkien is master of green, growing things, especially trees, and White is master of all types and forms of birds and beasts. Two men, so different--boy were they different!-- and both masterful. sharon [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Samwise 03-27-2002 03:19 PM

"Mistress Masham's Repose"! Oh, that was one of my favorites!! It's been so long....but I read it several times. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:

"If I hear 'not allowed' much oftener I'm going to get angry."
Sam Gamgee

dragongirlG 03-27-2002 07:12 PM

Let's see...(some of these I don't know the author of)
The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm
The Iron Ring
The Wrinkle in Time and all the Madeline L'Engle books. Excellent author.
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

I don't think I read fantasy that much...I mean, I read more little-kiddy books for fantasy. I'm currently absorbed in the classics.

Dior 03-27-2002 07:30 PM

The Shannara series by Terry Brooks have to be the best fantasy books besides Tolkien's ever. Madeline L'engle is good too.

1. The Sword of Shannara
2. The Elfstones of Shannara
3. The Wishsong of Shannara
The First King of Shannara(prologue, equivalent to The Hobbit).

Nice-Smeagol 03-28-2002 05:25 AM

My favourite fantasy books apart from LOTR are the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett (which take a lighthearted look at fantasy).
If I remember rightly there is a bit that he has stolen from LOTR
"Two pale glows appeared at the edge of the edge of the lamplight. Eventually they turned out to be the eyes of a small grey froglike creature paddling towards them on a log. It reached the boat, long clammy fingers reached over the side and a lubrigous face rose level with Nanny Ogg's.
'Ullo, It's my birthday', it said.
All three of them sared at it for a while. Then Granny Weatherwax picked up an oar and hit it firmly over the head. There was a splash and distant cursing.
'Horrible little bugger', said Granny.
'Yeah, its the slimy ones you've got to look out for. said Nanny."
Witches Abroad

Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe heheheheheheheheheeheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheh ehe...... etc. etc. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

LONG LIVE TERRY PRATCHETT!

silme-ranaa 03-28-2002 09:34 AM

the latest fantasy fiction i've read is A Song Of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin.I 'd recomend it to all.

Jessica Jade 03-28-2002 04:23 PM

I read the first Narnia book in fith grade. I haven't touched the series since, but maybe i will again if i have time, because that book was really good! Well, i plan to read Dune next. A sci-fi novel, actually, but it sounds intriguing and epic. I love epics [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Birdland 03-28-2002 11:04 PM

Silme-Ranaa - I was wandering the stacks in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section at The Book Loft (Best bookstore in the world! Hurray!) One of the sale guys walked up to me and said "Wanna read something really great?" and pointed right at Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. So I bought the the first book "A Game of Thrones" and put it in the stack of other books I'm planning on reading. Maybe I'll move it up to the top of the heap now.

I'd gotten out of even attempting to read any of the plethora of "fantasy trilogies" for many years. And if they make any comparisons to Tolkien, I run the other way!

I remember first picking up "The Sword of Shannara" series back in the 70's because it promised to be "just like Tolkien". After one chapter I practically threw it across the room. "That's not Tolkien! I want more Tolkien!" Unfortunately, he died a year later, so I didn't get my wish.

Anyway, George Martin better come through, or he's going straight into the kindling box!

[ March 29, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]

Gimli Son Of Gloin 03-31-2002 03:02 AM

After I read LOTR, all other books seemed total trash (cept' the Bible and suck). I did however like "The time Machine" by H.G. Wells, "Journey to the Center of the Earth" -i forget the author. I think harry potter is a totally trash, and is only useful for building a fire. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Gimli Son Of Gloin 03-31-2002 03:05 AM

such*

Gimli Son Of Gloin 03-31-2002 03:06 AM

such*

The Barrow-Wight 03-31-2002 08:55 AM

Forum Lesson #1: EDITING POSTS

Look for the little icon that looks like a hammer over a piece of paper. Hold your mouse over it Click. Now edit your posts.

[ March 31, 2002: Message edited by: The Barrow-Wight ]

Tarlondeion Of Gondolin 03-31-2002 09:54 AM

I read a lot of Star Wars books.

Raymond E Feist (Riftwar series, amongst others) is also a great fantasy authour.

So's Robart Jordan (wheel of time series).

I like Redwall by Brian Jaques too.

gollum*elf*pup 04-02-2002 04:55 PM

ooo! my other favourite books are Squire and In the Realms if the Gods, by Tamora Pierce. V. good books! (I love griffins)

Tigerlily Gamgee 04-02-2002 06:11 PM

I am really bad when it comes to reading. I haven't really read much since High School. There I mostly read the classics (for books reports and such) - one fantasy book I enjoyed was Stephen Kings The Eyes Of The Dragon.
I also am a HUGE fan of The Last Unicorn!!!
Let's just say that reading The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and The Silmarillion has been my great leap and bound back into the world of reading. I will move on to other fantasies as soon as I can ween myself away from Tolkien's books [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Samwise 04-03-2002 11:43 AM

gollum*elf*pup, hello there! Welcome!
~your friendly neighborhood gardener.
Quote:

"Yes, sir!" said Sam. "Begging your pardon, sir! But I meant no wrong to you, Mr. Frodo, nor to Mr. Gandalf. He has some sense, and when you said go alone, he said no! take someone as you can trust. "
[ April 03, 2002: Message edited by: Samwise ]

Weber 04-03-2002 11:52 AM

ive read the chronicles of narnia (especially The Horse and His Boy [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]) AND hARRY POTTER(DONT KNOW If that counts)

Weber 04-03-2002 11:53 AM

also [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] the LOrd of The Rings

amyrlis 04-03-2002 01:12 PM

I am currently re-reading The Chronicles of Narnia, read all of them once when I was younger. And, if it counts as Fantasy, I've read the first 3 Harry Potter's. Other than those and Tolkien, I haven't read any other Fantasy works. I'm a big fan of what I guess you'd call "classic liturature", also known as the pre-college reading list. I.E. All Quiet on the Western Front, Red Sky at Morning, East of Eden and Wuthering Heights. And, I've added The Last Unicorn to my reading list after recently finding out that it is in fact a book - just need to get around to obtaining a copy.

Amanaduial the archer 04-03-2002 02:25 PM

i luv Dianna Wynne Jones books, especially the Chrestomanci books, and Dogsbody.

Also i like The Wind On Fire Trilogy by William Nicholson,(The Windsinger, The Slaves Of The Mastery are the two that r out.)theyr so dramatic and reind me of lotr, sacrifice, drama, terror, seperation, destruction, tragedy.....*sigh*

Amother good lot are the Deepwoods Chronicles, Beyond the Deepwoods, Midnight Over Sanctaphrax, Stormchaser etc. Twig rules!

But i could never forget the modern master of fantasy, the heir to tolkiens legends, the one, the only, (ok,im entitled to give it a bit of atmosphere ok!?)Philip Pullman! His Dark Materials are my most read and most treasured books on my entire shelf, and they have pride of place right beside LOTR and The Hobbit. I actually had a dream about Will once...ahem!
I think theyre making a film of Northern Lights soon....if ne1 knows NETHING AT ALL ABOUT THAT PLEASE TELL ME!!!!!!EVEN JUST WOT FILM COMPANY IS MAKING IT,AUDITIONS,AFTER THAT WHOS IN IT,GOOD SITES.....ANYTHING!!!!!!!PLEASE I AM BEGGING U! mailto:smallville_kicksass@hotmail.comsmallville_kicksass@hotmail.com</A>
ure pleadingly
lol
amy

Vinyacairwen 04-03-2002 05:32 PM

I read the Narnia books when I was in elementary school...I really liked them then, especially The Horse and his Boy and Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Now, my favorite fantasy books/series are The Wayfarer Redemption by Sarah Douglass, and I've recently started reading the first DragonLance book (Dragons of Autumn Twilight ::chuckles:: funny name), which I find mildly interesting. The Rhapsody books were kinna interesting to me, but I wasn't quite into them...her work was supposedly so good people compared it to Tolkien. /I/ wasn't impressed.

LadyArwen 04-04-2002 04:14 AM

Quote:

'HIS DARK MATERIALS' is a must, and I've just learned that it is being made into a movie.
A movie! A movie?A MOVIE!! I must say I'm a great fan of Philip Pullman. Northern Lights, the Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass ... exactly what I would call 'riveting stuff'. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Also, one series which I haven't seen posted is the Abhorsen Series - 'Sabriel' is the first book, 'Lirael' the second, and the third, 'Abhorsen', is yet to come. I highly recommend this series - you get swept into this whole world of magic, mystery and ...... (fill in the dotted line with appropriate answer, as I can't think of one [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img])
I found Lirael the better of the two, so if you don't like Sabriel, then don't be put off - have a go at Lirael.

Now, what else have I got on my shelf ... *has a quick look* Hm ... 'The Day of the Triffids' ... 'Lord of the Rings' (of course!) ... 'Witches Abroad' ... 'The Last Dragonlord' ... 'Daghter of the Forest' ...
Well, that's about all the fantasy I have here!
Btw, I read the Prydain Chronicles and I found they just didn't pull me into the story. Then again, I was 9, so I guess I might have changed a bit [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

A Philip Pullman series I highly recommend, though it isn't exactly fantasy, is his 'Ruby in the Smoke' quartet. Again, absolutely 'riveting stuff' [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] These include 'The Ruby in the Smoke', 'The Shadow in the North', 'The Tiger in the Well', and 'The Tin Princess'. I didn't find 'The Tin Princess' as good as the others, but that's just me.

And of course, how could I forget Harry Potter? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Not as deep as Tolkien, of course, but a fantastic, magical adventure story all the same!

And finally, I recommend Lewis Carrol, for a wonderful, absolutely ridiculous laugh-until-you-get-a-stitch time. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Oops. That post was a bit long ... got a bit carried away there ... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Well, if you have any recommendations, please feel free to email me at glitterglossbug_smh@hotmail.com

Thank you!
-LadyArwen

Neferchoirwen 04-04-2002 06:19 AM

Gee. The Last Unicorn into a live action movie? Samwise, you cheered me up there. Thanks for sharing that! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I saw something about Myst in here somewhere. If I got right, I saw the sequel, Riven, in book form. I was so stupid not to buy it. (It was worth some 6 US dollars) I hope I get to see it on the stores again. (Oh please, God)
I have a copy of 'The Once and Future King,' but haven't read it yet. (I will within the year) But I was in the library a few months ago, and I saw this small book, which was supposed to be the 'true last chapter of the once and future king.' does that mean that it actually has 5 books instead of four?
just asking. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Amanaduial the archer 04-04-2002 06:28 AM

Quote:

LONG LIVE TERRY PRATCHETT
thanku!
lol
amy

Birdland 04-04-2002 03:40 PM

Neferchoirwen - Here's the link: The Last Unicorn Movie. Can't wait 'til they post a message board! (Ack! Did I just say that?!)

Not that I'd ever go THERE!

As for the 5th O&FK book: The Book of Merlin, it's been awhile since I read it, but it's kind of a "flashback" book, with references to WW II in it. The details are kind of fuzzy, since it's been years since I read it, but I don't think it's necessary to run out and get it, and I notice it has never been included in later editions of White's book.

Nevfeniel 04-14-2002 09:28 AM

Quote:

I read the first Narnia book in fith grade. I haven't touched the series since
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] I LOVE The Chronicles of Narnia! You need to read the others! My fave one was, and still is, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

Brimstone Goldenwing 04-14-2002 03:57 PM

I don't ready that much (always playing video games) but some fantasy books that I enjoyed reading are Dragon's Blood, Dealing with Dragons, The Last Battle, and The Hero and the Crown [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I'm trying to kick myself into reading more books..always playing video games (BAD BRIMSTONE! BAD!)..

[ April 14, 2002: Message edited by: Brimstone Goldenwing ]

Manelwen 04-14-2002 06:58 PM

Marion Zimmer Bradely.
Ursela LeGuinn
Meredith Ann Pierce

Meredith Ann Pierce's Darkangel Trilogy is trippy. Lots of six winged vampyres and soul drinking.

Samwise 04-14-2002 09:43 PM

Manelwen, hullo and welcome to the "club"! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
~your friendly neighborhood gardener.
Quote:

For some time Frodo and Sam managed to keep up with the others, but after a while they lagged behind. Sam's cut was burning like fire, and his head felt light. In spite of the shining sun the wind felt chill. He shivered.

Lush 04-14-2002 09:57 PM

Heh, I read the newspaper every day. Does that count?

Maluriel 04-15-2002 06:19 PM

I read Animorphs (even though it's ended, don't know if that counts) I read the Lost Years of Merlin and any of Bruce Coville's fantacy series. I also write my own novels about a fantacy land called Forest Everlasting that I've been working on for about five years. I'm writing a God moralled novel called Fallowing Truth right now, it's a fantacy about a quest, so look out for it when I become a famous author! My pen name is Kat DeLaney.

Ahanarion 04-15-2002 06:44 PM

Finally someone else who likes the Lost Years of Merlin.

dragongirlG 04-16-2002 08:35 PM

I've also read Animorphs. It was good.

Another good book:
A Wrinkle in Time and its sequels by Madeline L'Engle

Nevfeniel 04-17-2002 06:41 PM

Quote:

A Wrinkle in Time and its sequels by Madeline L'Engle
Ooh, I love those books! At first, I thought that A Swiftly Tilting Planet was boring, but since Sep. 11, I've been able to relate to it a little better.

Thalionyulma 04-18-2002 07:14 AM

Aside from JRRT's works I like Raymond Feist tales of Midkemia. (RF must have been greatly influenced by JRRT, he even calls the elves "edhel")

also enjoyed several books from DragonLance & Forgotten Realms (sorry forgot the authors). And how about Katherine Kurtz(?), the one about Pern and dragons.... also about the stories about Gwenydd & Derynis (I can't believe I forgot the author! sheeez!)

I've controlled myself not to get the other books mentioned (like Merlin's, and the ones by Jordan) because I drive myself crazy waiting for the next books availability... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

grimlock 04-18-2002 01:48 PM

OK, I'm new here, and I'm not english so forgive me for any wrong translation of titles please.
I've read "the wheel of times" -serie, the "Shannara" books, many books about Pern (sorry for that), Harry Potter, The "Death Gate" books and various others (which titles or authors I don't remeber anymore).
I also like reading the books that come from Magic: The Gathering.
And I've seen the animation-version of "The last Unicorn" which I thought was absolutely fantastic

Samwise 04-18-2002 06:19 PM

mîrlos, hullo! Always glad t' see another newbie! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Be welcomed an' post lots!
Quote:

Sam looked up into the pale sky, fearing to see hawks or eagles hovering over them with bright unfriendly eyes.
"You do make me feel uncomfortable and lonesome, Strider! " he said.

Birdland 04-18-2002 09:09 PM

Welcome Mîrlos!

Just curious: did you read the books in English, or were they translated into French?

Hope you've read "The Last Unicorn", too. Not to be missed!

KingCarlton 04-19-2002 12:18 AM

Where the heck was this thread hiding for so long....man, I almost started another one.
Let's see now, ever since I could read by myself (around the first grade)I have been reading comic books and fairy tales.
Enid Blyton's books fascinated me very much in those early innocent years and I loved to read about Superman leaping tall buildings etc.
I went on to read The Chronicles of Narnia as I grew older and then got a hold of Tolkien's works at the age of 12.

These are the authors that are my all time favourites( including the ones previously mentioned), in no particular order.

Arthur C Doyle
Robert E Howard
Edgar R Burroughs
Edgar Allen Poe
H.G.Wells
G. Rider Haggard
Isaac Asimov
Arthur C Clarke
Michael Crichton
Robert E Michener
George Orwell
Jerome K Jerome
John Byrne
Richard and Wendy Pini
George Lucas

And I still read comics to this day, in fact I have a huge collection.

Cheers !