The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Quotable Quotes (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Fill in the Blank (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4340)

Guinevere 08-14-2003 08:05 AM

Exactly! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Please proceed.

Mariska Greenleaf 08-14-2003 08:16 AM

thanks!

Here's a new one...

Quote:

'______ now I ______ my ______ to ________,' he said, 'and I would that he had ______________, rather than I should ______ you under the ________ of _________.'
I hope it's not too easy and not too hard [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Mariska Greenleaf 08-19-2003 04:36 AM

Is it too hard then? [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Guinevere 08-19-2003 02:07 PM

Well, it wasn't where I thought it might be, and up to now I've no idea. Perhaps some hints? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Mariska Greenleaf 08-22-2003 04:01 AM

I..am..so..sorry [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
I have to look it up myself, I totally forgot where I got it... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Mariska Greenleaf 08-26-2003 09:02 AM

Good news!! I found it! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Okay, for some clues now...

I will just fill in some more words.

Quote:

'_______ now I curse my ______ to _______,' he said, 'and I would that he had slain me in __________, rather than I should bring you under the shadow of __________.'
should be fairly easy now [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

One more hint: it is in the Silmarillion

Guinevere 08-26-2003 01:16 PM

Thank you, now the quote makes sense to me! (knew it before I read your hint about the Sil...) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] It's Beren to Luthien when she insists on accompanying him.
Quote:

"Thrice now I curse my oath to Thingol," he said, "and I would that he had slain me in Menegroth, rather than I should bring you under the shadow of Morgoth."

Mariska Greenleaf 08-26-2003 01:29 PM

Yeah, I kinda knew that it would be easy with some more words filled in, but I was feeling a bit guilty about forgetting where I got it, I decided to give this huge hint.

Well done of course! Can't wait for a new one [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Guinevere 08-27-2003 01:48 PM

Thank you, Mariska!
Quote:

"____? It was ____ that ______ his hand. ____ and _____; not to ______ without ____. And he has been well _______, _____."

The Saucepan Man 08-27-2003 05:27 PM

Ah, there's no mistaking that one:

Quote:

"Pity? It was pity that stayed his hand. Pity, and Mercy: not to strike without need. And he has been well rewarded, Frodo."
Gandalf to Frodo talking about Gollum in The Shadow of the Past, explaining why Bilbo "did not stab that vile creature, when he had a chance".

Guinevere 09-03-2003 01:45 PM

Of course you're right, Saucepan Man!
(I apologize that I'm so late in confirming, but I was cut off from the internet for a week.)
Please proceed! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

The Saucepan Man 09-03-2003 06:53 PM

Thank you, fair lady of Camelot. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Quote:

______ are ___ goblins _____, ___ my _____ are _____ ___ wood. ___ is to be _____ that ____ Orcs will be _______ with ________ us from ______. And ______ that was _____ purpose, and they ____ nothing to ___ with ___ - _____ the Ring.

the phantom 09-03-2003 10:23 PM

There are no goblins near, or my ears are made of wood. It is to be hoped that the Orcs will be content with driving us from Moria. And maybe that was all their purpose, and they had nothing else to do with us-with the Ring.

The Saucepan Man 09-04-2003 07:44 AM

You are correct, of course, my dear phantom. Pray continue. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

the phantom 09-04-2003 11:50 AM

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:

'There were _____-_____ in my ____,' said ________, ______ and _____, '_____-_____ that took ____ when I was an ______, many many _____ ___ in the quiet of the _____. The ______ were _______ by the ____ to try and please the ________; but they ______ at them and ______ and said that they ____ where ______ _______ and richer _____ were _______.'

Guinevere 09-05-2003 02:14 AM

Hm, is that perhaps Treebeard? But what could _____-_____ be?? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Ha, I think I have it [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] : Rowan-trees!
Quote:

"There were rowan-trees in my home," said Bregalad softly and sadly "rowan-trees that took root when I was an Enting, many many years ago in the quiet of the world. The oldest were planted by the Ents to try and please the Entwives, but they looked at them and smiled and said that they knew where whiter blossom and richer fruit were growing."
[ September 05, 2003: Message edited by: Guinevere ]

the phantom 09-06-2003 10:56 PM

I don't have my book on me, but it looks okay. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Guinevere 09-08-2003 01:28 PM

Thank you!
Quote:

There ___ set her ____ about _____ and ______ him, bidding him _____ her beyond the _______ ___, and he looked upon ___ ____ ere the ______ left him.

Mariska Greenleaf 09-12-2003 12:15 PM

Quote:

There she set her arms about Beren, and kissed him, bidding him await her beyond the Western Seas,and he looked upon her eyes ere the spirit left him.
Soooo sad. Soooo beautiful...

[ September 12, 2003: Message edited by: Mariska Greenleaf ]

[ September 12, 2003: Message edited by: Mariska Greenleaf ]

Guinevere 09-12-2003 12:46 PM

Correct, Mariska. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] (I picked that sentence because I like it so much too... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] )

Mariska Greenleaf 09-12-2003 12:59 PM

*sigh*

Well okay then, I'll go for something a little bit more ... happy. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:

'You shall_____ ______ with ____!
The _______ is all laden with ______ ______, ________, and white _______ and
________. _________ is waiting.

Evisse the Blue 09-12-2003 01:23 PM

"You shall come home with me. The table is all laden with yellow cream, honeycomb and white bread and butter. Goldberry is waiting."
Cheerful indeed! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Mariska Greenleaf 09-12-2003 01:26 PM

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Yeah!
That was pretty fast, btw.

You're up! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Evisse the Blue 09-12-2003 04:06 PM

At ___ ____ stopped, and ___ side by side, ____ backs ____ a ____ . ____ were ____. "If _____ himself was _____ _____ me a ____ of _____ I'd ____ his hand", said____.

Guinevere 09-13-2003 01:11 PM

Quote:

At length they stopped, and sat side by side, their backs against a boulder. Both were sweating. "If Shagrat himself was to offer me a glass of water, I'd shake his hand," said Sam.

Evisse the Blue 09-13-2003 04:25 PM

Please proceed, Guinevere! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Guinevere 09-14-2003 01:27 PM

Thank you, Evisse!
Quote:

"It is said that the _____ of the _______ is in their _____ rather than in their _______," ___ said, "yet that is not true of ____. For none have ____ made to me a _______ so ____ and yet so ________. And how shall I ______, since I _________ him to _____?"
I hope that is neither too easy nor too difficult. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Evisse the Blue 09-14-2003 08:27 PM

I'm guessing this was too easy indeed [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
"It is said that the skill of the Dwarves is in their hands rather than in their tongues" she said "yet that is not true of Gimli.For none have ever made to me a request so bold and yet so corteous. And how shall I refuse, since I commanded him to speak?"

Guinevere 09-15-2003 10:02 AM

Correct, of course. Your turn, Evisse!

Evisse the Blue 09-16-2003 05:12 AM

_____drew ____the ___-____ of _____ again. As if ___ do_____ to his_____, and to ____ with _____ his ____ brown _____-_____ that had done ____ ____, the ____ _____ _______ suddenly, so ___ all the ______ ______was _____ with a _____ ______ like _________ but it ______ ____ and did not _____.

Guinevere 09-16-2003 01:37 PM

Quote:

Sam drew out the elven-glass of Galadriel again. As if to do honour to his hardihood, and to grace with splendour his faithful brown hobbit-hand that had done such deeds, the phial blazed forth suddenly, so that all the shadowy court was lit with a dazzling radiance like lightning; but it remained steady and did not pass.
(It was the brown hobbit-hand that helped me find it [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] )

Evisse the Blue 09-17-2003 04:01 PM

Yes, as I imagined it would.
Please proceed [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Guinevere 09-18-2003 02:27 PM

Quote:

"_____!" said the ______. "_____ _____! I have _____ you to the ____. You have never ______ me and always I have _________ you. I ___ you from my ______ and he ____ of old. If ____ you came from the ______ of the true ____ under the ________, go now and _____ well!"
I hope this is more of a challenge than my last one [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Evisse the Blue 09-19-2003 04:48 AM

And challenging it would have been indeed, were it not for the infamous Barrow downs Mad Libs, which I have played many times [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:

Arrow', said the bowman. 'Black arrow! I have saved you to the last. You have never failed me and always I have recovered you. I had you from my father and he of old. If ever you come from the forges of the true King under the mountain, go now and speed well.'

Guinevere 09-19-2003 06:54 AM

ok [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] Your turn!

Evisse the Blue 09-19-2003 10:51 AM

Then _____ spoke and _____: 'Yet if it _____ but a little ____, then out of ____ ____ shall ____ the ____of ____ and ___. This I say __ __, lord, with the ___ of ____: though we _____ ____ for ____, and I shall ____ _____ on your ______ _____again, from ____ and from _____ a new ____ shall _____. Farewell!'

Guinevere 09-19-2003 01:47 PM

Though I feel that now I should perhaps let someone else guess, I can't resist answering that one: [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Quote:

Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and from me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Evisse the Blue 09-22-2003 12:32 PM

Yes, Guinevere! Indeed it looks like it's been 'one on one' between us for quite a while now [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Guinevere 09-23-2003 01:56 AM

Quote:

"___ up _________," he said. "Or _____ will be no _________ ____ for ___." Up jumped _____. "_________!" he cried. "Where is _________?" "______ inside __." answered the other _______ who were _______ about the ____; "but what is ____ is ___ out on the _______."
[ September 23, 2003: Message edited by: Guinevere ]

the phantom 09-24-2003 09:13 PM

"Get up lazybones," he said, "Or there will be no breakfast left for you."
Up jumped Bilbo. "Breakfast!" he cried. "Where is breakfast?"
"Mostly inside us," answered the other dwarves who were moving around the hall; "but what is left is out on the veranda."

[ September 24, 2003: Message edited by: the phantom ]