The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Do you have a LOTR-related desktop? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=12171)

husborne 08-29-2005 05:06 PM

Do you have a LOTR-related desktop?

Do you have a LOTR-related desktop?

What LOTR-related wallpaper do you have on our computer screen??
:smokin:

What do you have on your screen?

:smokin:

Ainaserkewen 08-29-2005 10:25 PM

Hi husborne, welcome to the downs.

May I suggest that this thread be changed into something along the lines of "Do you have a LOTR-related desktop?" I think it would be better recieved.

I know for the longest time I had the coolest Anime-adapted LOTR movie poster as my desktop.

Estelyn Telcontar 08-30-2005 12:52 AM

This definitely needs to be LotR/Tolkien-related in order to be a valid topic!

Ainaserkewen 08-30-2005 03:59 AM

Hey Estelyn...have you ever had a LOTR-inspired desktop?

Holbytlass 08-30-2005 05:33 AM

LOTR-related; but, of course!

Mine is a 'bird in a tree' eye's view of some hobbit holes from the movie. Very tranquil and nice.

Estelyn Telcontar 08-30-2005 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ainaserkewen
Hey Estelyn...have you ever had a LOTR-inspired desktop?

Nope - no desktops at all, just the standard blue background.

The Saucepan Man 08-30-2005 06:35 AM

The background on my computer at home is John Howe's painting of Bilbo's Front Hall, one of my favourite pieces of Middle-earth art.

I used to have it on the office lap-top too, until they banned individualised backgrounds ( :mad: ), although it once caused some slight embarassment when I used the lap-top for a business presentation. :rolleyes: :D

wilwarin538 08-30-2005 07:15 AM

I don't have a LotR background but I do have an Aragorn screensaver. ;)

Dimturiel 08-30-2005 07:15 AM

I have a desktop with Aragorn as he is fighting the Ringwraiths. And my screensaver shows pictures with Aragorn, too! Oh well, maybe I've said too much...

Kath 08-30-2005 09:50 AM

I did have one of the Fellowship in Rivendell but it seems to have been replaced by an awful picture of me and my family. I may have to go hunting for the delete button.

Lalwendë 08-31-2005 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpM
The background on my computer at home is John Howe's painting of Bilbo's Front Hall, one of my favourite pieces of Middle-earth art.

I used to have it on the office lap-top too, until they banned individualised backgrounds ( ), although it once caused some slight embarassment when I used the lap-top for a business presentation.

Well, you could have turned into a feature of the presentation, saying how Bilbo's Hall represents the tunnel through which all great business strategies must travel in order to reach the light (meaning the 'implementation' stage) of the door at the end, the tunnel symbolising 'team-work' and 'project planning' and the like... :rolleyes: :)

I've got a Tolkien illustration of Rivendell on my work PC, plus a 'Wizards' screen saver, which I'm not supposed to have as they disabled the ability to install to the hard drive, but I just put it on my network drive instead. ;) At home I have a montage of davem pulling faces.

Kuruharan 08-31-2005 12:12 PM

I have a screenshot of the dwarven fortress from the upcoming Lord of the Rings Online PC game.

piosenniel 08-31-2005 12:17 PM

This is what I have on my computer:

Tom

Estelyn Telcontar 08-31-2005 01:11 PM

Pio, that's lovely! I think Anke Eissmann's Tom Bombadil is the best rendition of him I've seen anywhere! (And I'm proud to say that I was able to tell her how much I enjoy her artwork when I met her at 'Tolkien 2005'. She's quite young to be so talented!)

husborne 08-31-2005 01:44 PM

Ainaserkewen

Ainaserkewen,I have changed it.:o

Thanks for the tip. ;)

piosenniel 08-31-2005 06:25 PM

That is also my very favorite picture of Tom.

Here's what I have on my laptop. It's a Ted Nasmith - Tuor looking down on the hidden city of Gondolin.

~*~ Pio

Ainaserkewen 08-31-2005 07:29 PM

Wow Pio...wow.

Lalwendë 09-01-2005 04:57 AM

This is the illustration of Rivendell that I have. Alas, if I enlarge it, it distorts on the screen so I have multiple images of it in a 'tiled' pattern. While I wait for things to load on the PC, I amuse myself by making my little blue dinosaur shaped cursor 'walk' over the bridge on the picture. ;)

When I was looking for an online version of the picture, it struck me how similar all the images of Rivendell are! It's well worth looking them up.

wilwarin538 09-01-2005 08:43 AM

I have now made my background the picture of Gondolin. Its amazing. Thanks pio.

Lal, I have the same curser, its very amusing. ;)

Elrowen Tinúviel 09-10-2005 05:50 PM

I have quite a few LOTR desktops - finding and making them has become a sort of hobby of mine. (Boring, I know...) For a long time I had the Ted Nansmith painting of Luthien dancing, and the Alan Lee one of Rivendell.
But I change them all the time...

I made some LOTR ones one time... they're all from the movies, but you can see them here . I also found a couple sites (that I forget the addresses to :o) that have a terrific selection of Tolkien art... John Howe, Alan Lee, and Ted Nansmith are only a few of them...

~Elrowen

Glirdan 09-10-2005 08:28 PM

I don't have an LotR desktop. :( Reason being the fact that the only computer in the house that has internet is the family computer and I can't choose the backgrounds. :rolleyes: As soon as I get internet on my computer, I'll probably put an LotR related desktop picture for it. ;)

AbercrombieOfRohan 09-20-2005 06:58 AM

I used to have this sweet guy.

But I've since changed it to The Hall's of Manwe..

Koneko 09-20-2005 10:46 AM

I _did_ have a picture of Sauron's eye as wallpaper, but since the monitor went very strange and broke down a month later, I can assure you that I am not doing that again.

HerenIstarion 09-20-2005 11:05 AM

I used to have Gandalf the Grey by John Howe and replaced him on and off with Lothlorien by Ted Nasmith. I tend to change desktops a lot, but these two keep on coming back

Thinlómien 09-22-2005 07:42 AM

I have a great desktop picture of Idril and Maeglin by "Kasiopea" (Catherine Karina Chmiel). Her works are really amazing. I recommend to visit her site at http://www.tolkien.com.pl/kasiopea/ang/tolkien.htm.

Lalwendë 09-22-2005 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien
I have a great desktop picture of Idril and Maeglin by "Kasiopea" (Catherine Karina Chmiel). Her works are really amazing. I recommend to visit her site at http://www.tolkien.com.pl/kasiopea/ang/tolkien.htm.

That's a very nice choice. :) I wouldn't know which one to pick as a favourite from those! Her illustrations are very different to most of the Tolkien art I've seen as they seem very bold and the characters seem quite wild, which is how I imagine a lot of them to be. But I particularly like those of Boromir and Faramir as children, and the picture of Luthien and Huan (she looks like Kate Bush in this picture). davem bought a copy of the Polish Tolkien Society's journal in Birmingham (it's titled Aiglos) and it had a number of these illustrations.

Thinlómien 09-27-2005 06:17 AM

Quote:

But I particularly like those of Boromir and Faramir as children
Yes, they're really lovely. I took the Idril and Maeglin -picturepartly because it was of fitting size...

Gothmog 09-27-2005 07:05 AM

This is one of my personal favourites, even if I've used others too...

Fingolfin challenging Morgoth

Something I've been looking for a time now is a nice cap. from ROTK, the scene where the eagles appears in the clouds before sweeping down and rescuing Sam and Frodo from the exploding Orodruin. That looked awesome on the big screen first time I saw the movie :)

Hilde Bracegirdle 09-27-2005 10:24 AM

This is what is on my desktop at work. And while it is an 'Old Forest', it never seemed terribly Middle-earth related, until one day I noticed two small hobbits peeking out of the lower middle portion of the screen.

Eönwë 04-22-2009 04:18 PM

And now I am struggling with which to choose after following Pio's link.

Thinlómien 04-22-2009 04:47 PM

Again, having Chmiel's artwork - this time Maedhros, Maglor, Elros and Elrond, looks like this:
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i5...en/desktop.jpg