The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   What do you love about the Barrowdowns? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4691)

Lyra Greenleaf 05-28-2003 11:57 AM

What do you love about the Barrowdowns?

I think one thing we all agree on is that the Barrowdowns are fantastic, so why is that? What do you like best about the BDs?

Is it in-depth discussions on Balrog wings and Legolas’ hair in the Books forum? Or helping out newbies? Or tormenting newbies? Or the way everyone helped YOU when you were a newbie? Or arguing over whether PJ is a genius or a heretic in the Movies? Or playing a half-Elven magical shieldmaiden in the RPG rooms? Or the fact that Pio won’t let anyone play half-Elven magical shieldmaidens - it’s just so not Tolkien? Or making new friends all over the world? Or the whole new set of people to tell how much you LUUUURVE Orlando Bloom? Or the effort everyone puts into their spelling and grammar? Or the buzz of FINALLY spotting the word-in-words in the Quiz room, then noticing the Saucepan Man got there first? Or tormenting Helka? Or dreaming about the day you get your personal title? Or the lovely warm feeling when someone mentions you on the “What do you like about people” thread? Or the wonderful, kind and friendly Mods? Or just the feeling that you’re not a freak for living and breathing Tolkien- there’s always someone out there more obsessed than you (mentioning no names!)?

Hirilaelin 05-28-2003 12:05 PM

Hiri's list:

Helping out the newbies

Playing evil characters in the RPGs

Getting a quiz question right, even before Beren!

Laughing at the craziness in Middle Earth Mayhem

More to come!

EDIT: And of course, how could I forget dreaming of a personal title !

[ May 28, 2003: Message edited by: Hirilaelin ]

Bêthberry 05-28-2003 01:49 PM

Its defining characteristic of witty, clever, erudite posts, coupled with a slight po-faced tendency--that is, of assumed seriousness, without taking oneself too seriously.

Whose posts am I talking about? Those of Barrow Wight, Mithadan, Mr. Underhill, Sharkû, Onewhitetree (Kkate), Zifnab, burrahobbit, Bruce Macculloch, Rimbaud, Squatter, Kurruharan, Estelyn Telcontar, Birdland, Lush, Legolas/Ulmo.

I'd also include any thread which Child of the Seventh Age sets up even though her discussions tend towards earnest seriousness rather than assumed. Her thoughts are always rewarding.

[ May 30, 2003: Message edited by: Bêthberry ]

Lindolirian 05-28-2003 04:08 PM

I like the cold dank smell, the sandy dirt in my bony toes, and the occasional worm that stops by for a nice crawl through my rotting abdomen. Okay, enough with the morbid stuff...
Any BD-er who even faintly knows me knows that I am a quizzer at heart, and I love putting out the most nassty posers that pop into my sweet little head. O yes, of course answering the easy ones that newbies think are hard... hehehe [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
I enjoy these little threads that have to do with people's emotions and the Downs. They're so corny, but so nice.

By the Boogeyman, I nearly forgot. I love seeing that Agent Elrond next to my name. He's just too cool.

[ May 28, 2003: Message edited by: Lindolirian ]

Manardariel 05-28-2003 04:34 PM

What I love si much about the Downs is the ability to make me feel like the Queen of Arda when I was just about to kill myself from Monday Blues five minutes earlier. It´s true!
And I´m also amazed by the fact that I´m comunicating with all these -truly amazing- people I´d never met it life-to-life circumstances. If the Downs have taught me something -exept for sesible paragraph writing, time commitment and RPGing- it´s that every person out there who I never waste a thought to could be on the Downs, just as Tolkien-addicted and PCdependant as me, and just as cool and funny and sweet as you!

Ok, that was the cheesy part..... I love:

*RPGs
*Laughing at stuff in Mayhem
*That ever-so-proud-feeling when someone posts stuff like "I loved your post" or "I´m sure you can do it!" (especially when that someone is a mod!)
*My mom´s blank face when she looks over my back
*All those cool Avatars
*And especially YOU PEOPLE!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

VanimaEdhel 05-28-2003 05:11 PM

I like the people the most. I even like the Orlando-shriekers. They provide a little extra comedy and where would we be without them? I love all the RPG'ers I play with, and all the people that I have spoken with on here and in the Chat. Where else could I debate Tolkien with people from the Netherlands while, at the same time, chatting with people from various parts of Great Britain in the Chatroom? No other room I have ever belonged to had that diversity. I love people to begin with, so that adds to why "the people" would be my favorite thing about the 'Downs.

Lush 05-30-2003 04:00 PM

I love three things in life: money, absinthe, and the Barrow Downs. It's all about the green.

Hardy har har.

Some of the best conversations in my life have been held with various Downs members in the forum and on chat. I could name-drop, but I'm tired, and you all know who you are, a thousand times over. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Sapphire_Flame 05-30-2003 04:23 PM

I love all the cool people you can meet here. Like: The Barrow-Wight, ElentariGreenleaf, Arestelwen, Hirilaelin, Helkahothion, and Sapphire_Flame (of course!). I love ME Mayhem, and the Quiz Room, and The Movies. The Barrow Downs forum is great too. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] The whole place is just wonderful!!!!!

Lyra Greenleaf 05-30-2003 05:41 PM

Quote:

Or the lovely warm feeling when someone mentions you on the “What do you like about people” thread?
No more fear of this...

My favourite (as I never answwred my own question [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) is definitely getting to know people. There are some great characters from all over the world. It's amazing to think I talk to people in the USA or wherever more than some of my friends. And scary too...

Eressië Ailin 05-30-2003 06:43 PM

I love all of you!!! I have very little to add to this... Beating Beren in the Quotes room is a very nice feeling (not in the Quiz room though [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img] ).

Sophia the Thunder Mistress 05-30-2003 10:13 PM

One of my favorite things is writing a quiz question I think is hard enough to merit the "evil" ( [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]) face.

I also love the IM conversations I've been having with fellow-downers,

the RPG rooms (especially when you get to write with such great people as Maikafanawen, Lyra, Durelin, X Phial and all the rest... sorry those of you I've neglected, you're great to write with too!),

and realizing you have something to say and saying it well in the Books forum is very rewarding as well. Even though it's a rare occurence for me [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img].

Sophia

Iarwain 05-30-2003 10:29 PM

I love engaging in "deep" conversations that are based largely on one's view of reality. I share Sophia's love for PM conversations. But what I love most of all are discussions on morality (and Tolkein, of course). In these, I feel that I truly thrive.

Iarwain

Tarien Ithil 05-31-2003 01:37 AM

I love the people and their tolerance with others, friendliness and will to accept others! And I love the discussions and the fcat that I learn something new every time I visit the Downs!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

GaladrieloftheOlden 06-03-2003 09:19 PM

I love this place for all of the above reasons, and also for teaching me not to use chatese... I used to use it all the time on AIM.

~Menelien

[ June 03, 2003: Message edited by: GaladrieloftheOlden ]

peony_foxburr 06-04-2003 01:18 PM

1. The Downs is the friendliest board I've frequented. If you ask about something which has been discussed already, you're directed in a very nice way to that information, not ridiculed. (Not that I care much, at my age--but it's not nice to make fun of new people!!!)
2. Incredibly knowledgeable posters. I can do a search and find out all kinds of stuff about Tolkien, the books, Middle-Earth. Sort of a Google for all things Middle-Earth.
3. Funny.
4. Contact with the whole world of Tolkien admirers, in all their diversity. No one likes feeling like a lone freaky geek. I'd rather be with all the other freaky geeks [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
5. The Walk to Rivendell!!!!!!!
By the way, can someone direct me to information on the true significance of the message icons?

Manardariel 06-04-2003 01:35 PM

HERE you go, peony! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Arwen Imladris 06-04-2003 06:31 PM

In-depth discussions on Balrog wings and Legolas’ hair in the Books forum - even though I can never think of anything to add! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Helping out newbies - I try anyway!

Making new friends all over the world!

Dreaming about the day you get your personal title - Oh ya!

The wonderful, kind and friendly Mods! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Just the feeling that you’re not a freak - Well, sometimes even here...

Yavanna228 06-04-2003 07:39 PM

I have a feeling that as I'm here longer, I will have more to add.
I love the kind help given, even whenever I make some silly mistakes.
I love the colourful personalities of all the members here, the way they compliment each other perfectly, forming a beautiful tapestry of humanity. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I love the intellectual interplay that goes on, and the deep thought that goes into many posts.
I love the way people are willing to share their beliefs about things, and even better is the acceptance of those differing opinions.
I love the really very helpful mods, the structure of the site, and the way it is so well run.
I love the incentive this site gives to know Tolkien inside and out, and I love all the learning opportunities! I feel that I can really thrive here.
Thanks to all of you who make this site so wonderful! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Peace

[ June 04, 2003: Message edited by: Yavanna228 ]

Durelin 06-05-2003 10:06 AM

Quote:

...tormenting Helka
Uh...DUH!!

Well, really, I love the organization of the Downs just as much. I know I always complain whenever a mod deletes my nonsesne posts, but, really, I'm glad they do it! The forums have room for intelligent discussion, and Mayhem is the place for goofy stuff. The oraganizational excellence peaks in the RPG forums. The Barrow Downs is THE BEST place to RP, and it has the most talented writers because of that. It also helps create talented writers, I think.

Quote:

Playing evil characters in the RPGs
Another thing I will always cherish. People always tell you how evil you are, too, so it makes it double the fun to laugh at those people who think you're so good. When really you aren't that good. Nope. No one's that good. Except for me, of course! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Kidding, of course. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Thanks to all those people who kept saying that Raken was so evil. He will forever be one of my favorite characters! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Niluial 06-05-2003 02:03 PM

Quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...tormenting Helka
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uh...DUH!!
Ahh.. the feeling you get once you get it right is amazing!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

arianrod 06-14-2003 05:29 PM

I've joined many other Tolkien forums in the past couple of years, and there is no forum out there quite like the Downs. I feel so much more welcomed and loved; it's so much more relaxed and easier to post here without fear of being attacked if my views are different from everyone else's.

I love the people here and the discussions I can have with them. It's amazing; I can laugh my butt off at strange captions, embarrassing LotR stories, and Elvish insults at Middle-Earth Mayhem and then go straight in to the Books and have stimulating and in-depth discussions about the books and characters with the same people I was just laughing with. The Barrow-Downs is such a unique place, and I'm so grateful to have found it! ^_^

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie 06-14-2003 06:31 PM

I love the intellectual discussions, especially in the books forum.
I love how I can discuss just about anything Tolkien.
I love the people here, and I love how there are so many people here.
I love how I can criticize the PJ movies if I want, or defend the Bakshi film if I want.
I love how we're supposed to be dead but we're really having the time of our lives.
I love the friendly atmosphere.
I love the fact that you can feel like you've actually accomplished something after being here for a while.
I love the fact that I've been here only for about 8 months yet I feel like I've been here for years.
I love all the new members that keep popping up and you know that each batch that comes in will have at least one great member that is going to challenge you.
I love watching newcomers grow and early on, knowing that they're going to be great.
I love the challenges, the debates, and the arguing.
I love the mods and administration, who don't abuse their power.
I love the respect we all give out and receive.
I love how people share and defend thier beliefs.
I love how this site started from the books, not the movies.
I love how we are all so diverse.
I love how we are all brought here together by a common thread- Tolkien and his Middle-earth.
I love how I can have an intelligent conversation with all of you.
I love how there is always someone here who has understood me.
I love that I can spill my feelings all over this forum and never get laughed at.

Most importantly though, I love how this is my home away from home. You people are like a whole other family to me. I have no friends or relatives from my daily life here. It is like a whole other life. Middle-earth is also like a whole other life, so think of how great this site is to me if I can compare it on a level of Tolkien and his works. But it is greater because you know this is real. I care about my reputation on this forum. It's not like other forums or any type of online community where I don't care one bit. This site means something to me. I can be myself here. I don't have any friends or relatives, not even acquaintances, but I like that. I don't have to hide my light in a bush, I can let it out for all to see if they will. I can just be who I am and that means so much to me I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't. It's actually quite funny since I don't wear a mask to hide myself in real life but I sometimes can't be myself, yet I wear a mask to hide myself here but I am myself. I love this site and the people who make this a community. I love all the things that go with it- the humor, the sadness, the joy, the anger, the love....Thank you so much.

~Sincerely,

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie

[ June 14, 2003: Message edited by: MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie ]

Sophia the Thunder Mistress 06-14-2003 07:13 PM

Well, after that glowing report, my little addition seems rather humble.

I love getting on chat and being greeted with exclamation points.

Sophia

The X Phial 06-14-2003 07:22 PM

Sophia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take that!

I love the fact that so many excellent people are gathered together to discuss such excellent literature. I have found many friends through this site. I also love that it allows me to express my love of Tolkien and my creativity together. That's about it, I shouldn't post and listen to weird al at the same time. It does things to my brain.

[ June 14, 2003: Message edited by: The X Phial ]

GaladrieloftheOlden 06-14-2003 07:33 PM

I love meeting new people, friends of all ages, many of them better friends to me than all but the best few of my "real-life" ones. I love that I can be more me here than in school and other places. If I acted anything like this anywhere else, I would be thought of as more of a phsycho than now, and here people are... uh, understanding. ^_^ Also, that I have a chance to create a reputation for myself. I mean, it may not be great, but still, in school I’m considered "the quiet tall girl with the book in the corner", and here I get a new chance to start again. And I don’t believe many people here consider me quiet. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] And another thing, nobody minds how young I am. If they did, I would have many fewer friends here than I do, but instead nobody minds, as most people in real life do.

~Menelien

[ June 15, 2003: Message edited by: GaladrieloftheOlden ]

steve 06-14-2003 10:55 PM

Hey all
What I love about the downs is well... all of you, you are all so nice, even the Mods, you made me feel like I fit in somewhere. You all have been really nice to me. I love you all of you are so nice to the newbs, whereever they are, weither its a new person to Tolkien, or someone like me trying to fit in with a RPG charachter. I could post like this about all of you for pages upon end, but I wont waste the memory of the site, since i dont have any money to contribute to the site, even tho (i know i spelt though wrong, but tho is how i spell it) i want a downs shirt more then anything at the moment. I just love all of you so much, you seem like extended family (for some reason I think I spelt family wrong) to me. *Gives everyone a BIG HUG (or a handshake to those guys that are a little homophobic)* I better stop typing, im starting to cry.

Love allways to everyone
Steve

Ps. If I emntioned earlier on a topic but not many saw it, I dont think, But I am making a Warcraft 3 RPG and I am dedicating it to all of you, so if you want your name (custom account) included, just PM me, please. (edit 1)

Post-Ps. Happy fathers day to all of you fathers out there. *edit 2)
[ June 15, 2003: Message edited by: steve (YES I EDITED THE EDITED MESSAGE MUAHAHAHAHAHA (ok I better go to sleep now) ]

[ June 15, 2003: Message edited by: steve ]

Lyra Greenleaf 06-15-2003 10:52 AM

QUOTE]It's actually quite funny since I don't wear a mask to hide myself in real life but I sometimes can't be myself, yet I wear a mask to hide myself here but I am myself.[ [/QUOTE]
That's just like what I was thinking a little while ago. Spooky! I think it's the fact that I'm letting a different part of my personality out rather than one being right and one not. I like the oppurtunity to be Lyra who is completely different to Joanne!

Quote:

the RPG rooms (especially when you get to write with such great people as Maikafanawen, Lyra, Durelin, X Phial and all the rest...
Thank you very much Sophia. Flattery will get you everywhere! But you know Reclaiming the City would have gone to bits without you (and GaladrielOTO, and Nil). I'm just a follower!

[ June 15, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]

Estella Brandybuck 06-15-2003 03:00 PM

Well for one thing, this is one of those rare LotR message boards where most of the members aren't always posting things like: "omg i luv thes movis leggy iz sooo hott!11!1" [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

The discussions here are great - I'm amazed at how much detail members can put into their arguments. Despite the feelings of inferiority I get when I see how much more everyone else knows about Tolkien's world, it's still a lot of fun to watch these discussions.

Also, the discussions are pretty intelligent (when they need to be [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ), with little, if any, chat talk. It is so refreshing not to have to see "omg u ppl r so crayz lol!!111" every other page.

And of course, there's the people. Pretty much all of the oldbies do their best to help out newbs like myself. So far I've gotten two PMs from random users welcoming me to the boards and telling me not to be shy about joining the discussions. I haven't really made friends here (I'm kind of a loner [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] ), but the members here are definitely very kind and friendly.

Another great thing about this place is that I learn new Tolkien facts pretty much every time I visit. And most of the members here are very devoted to the dear Professor; it's nice to see that not everyone in the world is a critic. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Everdawn 06-15-2003 11:35 PM

I love this place mainly becuase of the RP's. Since i have been here, It had kind of developed my writing skills, so now i am at a solid A in senior English at school.

obloquy 06-18-2003 11:45 AM

I mostly just love my own posts.

the phantom 06-18-2003 01:16 PM

I'd tell most people they were being overly conceited, but I suppose you have just cause, oblo. I love your posts too. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Helkahothion 06-18-2003 02:09 PM

I like: The RPG section of course.
I like: The Inn's
I like: The people I met here. Some of them are weird and clame they can pester or annoy me( Durexy) but I know they mean well and are great persons. (again Durexy) The MSN conversations are wonderfull. So are the PM conversations.

I like: Well since a short time I am fond of the books too. People there know so much and I am learning a lot. It is really fascinating.

I like: The Moderators and Admins. (especialy Pio, Aman, Bb, but most of all Mithadan.) They don't bark at you and are always trying to help you. Never too tired to answer questions or help you on your way. Bethbêrry is a great help in my spelling too. So is Mithadan. I really apreceate that. My grades in english have improved every since they PMed me.

I like: The interaction between people all over the world. They don't care if you are dutch, english, USA, Danish, black, white green or yellow. They judge you on your inside. If only the world would be like this. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

I like: The way the downers treat the newcomers. This is the best place to start if you are new in the world of Tolkien. They are accepted and blend in very easely. The Mod's have a great deal in this.

I like: What the downs means for people. Maikadilwen met Cuthalion here and are going to get married and Faye Took and I met here and are madly in love. Never knew a website could be a matchmaker [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

That's all for now [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Suilad,

Anuion

[ June 18, 2003: Message edited by: Helkahothion ]

burrahobbit 06-18-2003 03:34 PM

Helkahothion, you forgot to mention obloquy and I. We are getting married in May. You couldn't possibly fathom my excitement, thanks BW!

piosenniel 06-18-2003 04:22 PM

Congrats Burra! I am knitting booties . . .heard it was a shotgun wedding. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

burrahobbit 06-18-2003 04:34 PM

Why are you making light of our love? This is very serious for us.

piosenniel 06-18-2003 04:47 PM

I am aghast that you would think I make light of something so rare . . . so fine.

Nay, the love you two bear for each other is as a shining jewel. Each facet reflects the warmth and depth of your undying affection and shines out a thousandfold. We bask in it, and are undone by the glory of it.

Our poor dead minds are made all the richer by the consideration of it.

(Now when's the party? And please, I like my Guinness room temp and plenty of it [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img])

Gorwingel 06-18-2003 07:44 PM

Quote:

I like: The interaction between people all over the world. They don't care if you are Dutch, English, USA, Danish, black, white green or yellow.
I have to agree with that. It is so cool saying that I just communicated with someone from Asia. Or I just sent an E-Mail to someone in Australia. Or a person in London just responded to my post. This place in one way makes the world seem much more closer and smaller, you see how even though many of us live in different countries, we all still have much in common.

Everdawn 06-19-2003 01:02 AM

Yeah, i dont think the mods get enough thanks for all they do... Which when you think about it is quite a lot...
espesh. Pio, i mean she had to edit my first posts in the shire in my early days, so imagine what she has to do for a lot of newcomers!...

Thanks guys! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Helkahothion 06-19-2003 12:14 PM

Terrebly sorry Burra, I did not know. Good luck! And have a nice life [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

It is so cool that you see people that are like you. In my enviroment, people don't care about lotr. They think I am crasy to get interested in a "book". But then they go on about star wars. I mean, talking about hyppocrite right? People here understand each other. They share a big thing in common.

Suilad,

Anuion

Everdawn 06-20-2003 12:34 AM

Everdawn does not see the attraction in Star wars and couldnt agree more...