The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   T-I-G CIV: Spambot Apocalypse (Admin Thread) (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=18562)

Nerwen 12-16-2013 09:43 AM

T-I-G CIV: Spambot Apocalypse (Admin Thread)

Setting: the near-future.

Reviled by some, championed by others, the “Hobbit" movies certainly bring one thing in their wake: a new plague of spambots to trouble the unhappy Downs.

But these are no ordinary webcrawlers. Somehow, through some unintentional fluke of coding, they have become... self-aware. :eek:

When the mods try to ban them, the evil AIs fight back– and conquer the entire forum.

In the process a group of Downers are sucked into cyberspace. While, in the real world, their bodies remain comatose, their minds are trapped in the terrifying virtual wasteland that was once a thriving fan site.

Their only hope: to find some way back into the real world.

But the evil AIs are not going to give up their human slaves so easily...

Rôles:

Infiltrators (Wolves).
In a dimension where bodies are really just mental projections, how can you tell whether your “friends” are human– or AIs spying on your plans for escape? Answer: you can’t.:eek:

Worse, the humans have a traitor in their midst–

The Hacker has always found computers easier to understand than other human beings, and he believes he and our new spambot overlords have much to offer each other.

Luckily, spambots are not alone in developing sentience– a trio of self-aware security programs have come to our aid.

S.E.E.R. (Sentient Electronic Evaluation Resource) is able to identify AIs masquerading as humans.

R.A.N.G.E.R (Radical Advanced Nocturnal Guardian Experimental Robot) chooses a different person to protect each night. Cannot self-protect. (Role changed slightly in view of the small numbers.)

H.U.N.T.E.R (Heuristically-programmed Upgradable Non-logical Troubleshooting and Elimination Robot) automatically strikes back if attacked. Unfortunately, due to programming limitations, H.U.N.T.E.R. is never able to distinguish between malevolent AIs and the humans it is supposed to be helping.

Note: in the event of a tie, the first player to reach the total will be lynched.

The Cast
(As themselves– or are they?)
Inziladun
Galadriel55
Sally
Legate
Rune
Kitanna
Boromir88
Blind Guardian
Loslote
Morsul the Dark
Shasta

Inziladun 12-16-2013 10:26 AM

Ha ha! Love it! :D

satansaloser2005 12-16-2013 03:01 PM

This is bloody glorious, darling. :D

Legate of Amon Lanc 12-16-2013 03:27 PM

Whoa! Brilliant theme idea. Really looking forward to this...

Coppermirror 12-17-2013 06:15 AM

Curses. The theme for this game looks so amazing that it's going to be hard to resist signing up. I'll probably be back later to sign up when my will finally crumbles.

Kitanna 12-17-2013 07:49 AM

Ooh! Ooh! Pick me! PICK ME!

Boromir88 12-17-2013 08:21 AM

You had me at spam

Nerwen 12-17-2013 08:26 PM

Celebrated cyberpoet tomtom has privately expressed to me his (its?) dissatisfaction at not being included in the game. Or, as he eloquently puts it:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomtom
tom no play? tom sitting duck :(

Rest assured tom– you will be included– as one of the infiltrators! (Might be an idea to get your human-simulation software upgraded– you don’t want to give yourself away.)

For those not familiar with tom’s brief but illustrious career, here are some helpful links:

tom starts a thread
tom introduces himself (in verse)
tom sings happy birthday to Lottie
tom joins a game started by fellow-bot lucyyenic
tom fields an all-spambot team in the 2013 Arda Cup
tom graciously welcomes a new member
tom falls in love with another spambot
the tragic romance of tom and peppeateCat
tom mourns his lost love

Rune Son of Bjarne 12-18-2013 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerwen (Post 687827)
Celebrated cyberpoet tomtom has privately expressed to me his (its?) dissatisfaction at not being included in the game. Or, as he eloquently puts it:

Rest assured tom– you will be included– as one of the infiltrators! (Might be an idea to get your human-simulation software upgraded– you don’t want to give yourself away.)

For those not familiar with tom’s brief but illustrious career, here are some helpful links:

tom starts a thread
tom introduces himself (in verse)
tom sings happy birthday to Lottie
tom joins a game started by fellow-bot lucyyenic
tom fields an all-spambot team in the 2013 Arda Cup
tom graciously welcomes a new member
tom falls in love with another spambot
the tragic romance of tom and peppeateCat
tom mourns his lost love

What the freaking... ehhh... I mean... WHAT!?

Nerwen 12-18-2013 04:16 AM

I believe another Infiltrator will be the equally famed lucyyenic, artistbot.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucyyenic
I was reading the "Unifinished tales of Numenor and Middle-earth" when I was asked if I could paint something calssical, without fat people, blood, or other strange things involved. So here we have Amroth, King of Lorien and Nimrodel, somwhere in the Fangorn Forrest.

I´m not sure about the quality of the pic, since it´s a pretty huge and had to be photographed. Originally it´s watercolor

Not only did Lucy start a popular and long-running quiz thread, she even won a WW game!

Poor Lucy. She was with us such a short time, yet she has passed into Downs lore... forever... and ever...

Coppermirror 12-18-2013 08:07 AM

Sign me up. I can't wait to work with or against the celebrated Tom and Lucyyenic. :smokin:

Iiii will probably spend the entire game being very silly.

satansaloser2005 12-19-2013 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerwen (Post 687834)
I believe another Infiltrator will be the equally famed lucyyenic, artistbot.

Not only did Lucy start a popular and long-running quiz thread, she even won a WW game!

Poor Lucy. She was with us such a short time, yet she has passed into Downs lore... forever... and ever...

I had completely forgotten about most, if not all, of this. Flipping magical.

Loslote 12-21-2013 04:30 PM

Are sign-ups still open? If so, I'd love to join. It feels like forever since I've played! :D

Nerwen 12-22-2013 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loslote (Post 687964)
Are sign-ups still open? If so, I'd love to join. It feels like forever since I've played! :D

They certainly are!

Morsul the Dark 12-22-2013 02:17 PM

May I play?

Nerwen 12-22-2013 07:32 PM

Of course.

satansaloser2005 12-23-2013 11:50 AM

Our resident psychic is interested in playing as well. His skills will no doubt come in handy with these tricksy AIs scampering about the place. Unless he's one of them.... :eek:

Can't sleep. Shasta will eat me.

Aganzir 12-23-2013 07:26 PM

Hey hey what are you thinking for deadline? Or when to start?

Shastanis Althreduin 12-24-2013 06:34 AM

She who holds the moon in her heart has forgotten all about me. :(

Nerwen 12-24-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shasta
She who holds the moon in her heart has forgotten all about me.

My treasure! How could you think such a thing?:(

Why, I thought you had forgotten all about me! “He never posts...” I wept into my pillow. “He never messages me... can it be that he *gulp* doesn’t want to join my WW game?”

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aganzir
Hey hey what are you thinking for deadline? Or when to start?

Not sure about the DL. I was thinking of starting in the New Year, but we could begin after Christmas if that suits everyone.

Galadriel55 12-24-2013 10:39 AM

For me, the earlier the better.

Shastanis Althreduin 12-25-2013 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerwen
Why, I thought you had forgotten all about me! “He never posts...” I wept into my pillow. “He never messages me... can it be that he *gulp* doesn’t want to join my WW game?”

Why, my heart, perish the thought! I simply took it as read that I'd be automatically signed up for anything you put your hand to, as I mentioned in the Grimoire. :)

Nerwen 12-27-2013 12:11 AM

Well, my jewel, for all I knew you had been carried off by the Adult Friend Finder...

Okay, we don’t seem to be getting any more takers for an immediate start, so I propose the 2nd of January.

As for DL, here are my suggestions:

GMT 4:00
GMT 5:00
GMT 12:00
GMT 13:00
GMT 22:00

Morsul the Dark 12-27-2013 06:29 AM

Well according to google... 4 or 5gmt woul be best for me that's 11pm and midnight respectively, however I can work with any of those deadlines just be prepared for a lot of early votes, but I'm ok with that if a majority agrees on a different time.

Inziladun 12-27-2013 10:34 AM

DL isn't an issue for me. If I have to vote early, or late, it wouldn't be the first time. ;)

Galadriel55 12-27-2013 11:16 AM

Ditto. I would have to vote early for some of these, but then you can't suit everyone around the globe. I'm quite ok with that. :) Just pick whichever one you and Agan would be most comfortable with. :)

Boromir88 12-27-2013 11:42 AM

5 gmt would be the best.
Follow by 4 gmt
Then 12 and 13

satansaloser2005 12-27-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boromir88 (Post 688103)
5 gmt would be the best.
Follow by 4 gmt
Then 12 and 13

Seconding my prince's selections, though DL isn't a huge issue for me at the moment, so I'd be amenable to whatever is best for the group.

Aganzir 12-28-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerwen (Post 688089)
Well, my jewel, for all I knew you had been carried off by the Adult Friend Finder...

:D

GMT 4 and 5 deadlines I'll be sound asleep (hopefully), but all the rest work for me if help with the day/night endings is needed!

Also if the game started around the 6th, Lommy, Pomegranate, Legate, and maybe even Greenie, Encaitare and some others might be up for playing too, as that's when most Downers who are visiting us right now in Finland will have left.

Coppermirror 12-29-2013 04:59 PM

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to drop out of the game. Ironically, the reason is spam. The link redirection bug the forums has at present is annoying me too much, and today for the first time it even tried sending me to a site that pinged my antivirus, which is the last straw. :( I can't happily play werewolf on a forum that's trying to send me to sites that are likely to harm my computer. And I don't think the forum's problem is going to be fixed in time for the game to start. If the problem does get fixed before the game starts, count me back in, though.

Clearly, the spambots realised that at long last I was finally on brilliant WW-playing form and would annihilate them if I were to play in the game, and so they took steps to make me quit. Curse their wily ways.

Inziladun 12-29-2013 06:34 PM

The virus question worries me too, Cop, but not enough to bow out. If we're too fearful for WW, the spambots win. ;)

Nerwen 12-30-2013 06:36 AM

:(

Nerwen 01-01-2014 03:49 AM

Agan, I can wait until the 6th, but some people may want to start before that.

Is 12:00 GMT all right with everyone?

Kitanna 01-01-2014 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerwen (Post 688256)

This works for me, though be prepared for lots of early votes from me.

Galadriel55 01-01-2014 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitanna (Post 688258)
This works for me, though be prepared for lots of early votes from me.

Ditto. :)

On the 6th I start school already, and I was hoping to get at least a couple Days out of the way before that. With my schedule, I don't think I would be able to play if we only start on the 6th. :(

Loslote 01-01-2014 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerwen (Post 688256)

I start school on the 6th, like G55, but I can still play if we wait. DL is fine, I'll just vote early sometimes. :)

Aganzir 01-01-2014 04:09 PM

The 12 deadline is fine by me!

At the moment it looks like it would just be Lommy and Legate who would be able to play here, but only if the game starts around the 6th - so it's your decision eventually. I don't mind either way.

Nerwen 01-01-2014 07:18 PM

In that case, we’ll start on the 3rd– apologies to Lommy and Legate.

Rune Son of Bjarne 01-03-2014 04:26 AM

Hey,

It seems that Aganzir forgot me.
I am in Finland until the 6th, and I haven't brought a laptop, so my initial participation will be limited.

Blind Guardian 01-04-2014 01:17 AM

What time does it end? The votes? (reremebering how to play this ;) )