The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Movies (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Hobbit sex symbols? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=8938)

mordor136 12-15-2001 09:51 PM

Hobbit sex symbols?

Move over N'sync(question spelling) and Brittany Spears. Here come rotten Nazgul and an elf maiden that is thousands of years old.<BR>I can see the articles in teenage girls magazines now. "If that special Nazgul in your life dosen't seem to notice you just put on an evil magic ring and he will sniff you out."(how attractive)Legolas and Arwen were voted this months hottest people by AOL.<BR>Flashing on my screen now(yes right now) is a sign reading "Hobbit Hotties". This makes me sick. What do you think? Well gotta go root for my dream orc woman in the Miss Mordor Pagent!

Ionia Luffs Reindeer 12-15-2001 10:15 PM

That's a bit too close to the truth to be comfortable. Elijah Wood junkies everywhere. My cousin sent me a pic of the "Fab Foursome" in leather jackets smirking... ouch.

Elrian 12-16-2001 02:39 AM

I can just visualize that pageant <BR>My vote is for Samwise the Hobbit Hottie <P>Unless of course the Elven men can be voted for.

Ionia Luffs Reindeer 12-16-2001 11:07 AM

*dies laughing* <P>/pointless message

Leanne Anderson 12-16-2001 05:53 PM

I also noticed the Hobbit Hotties thing on AOL and almost puked. It's ridiculous. It's a good thing Proffesor Tolkien isn't alive to see this.

Inziladun 12-17-2001 08:29 AM

The very idea of 'Hobbit Sex Symbols' causes a feeling of revulsion and a marked loss of appetite.

Elrian 12-17-2001 09:05 PM

You must be male, and have not seen the Rosie Cotton pics yet

Ionia Luffs Reindeer 12-17-2001 09:12 PM

See now we're all interested... do tell where you found a pichur of Rosie Cotton.

Zippo 12-17-2001 09:15 PM

geez if only people knew that hobbits were supposed to fat....

Marileangorifurnimaluim 12-18-2001 11:17 PM

With a long stop at the Green Dragon, even Hobbits start to look good.. *bleary look around* I've had dibs on Frodo for years, thag you very buch.

Elrian 12-19-2001 02:34 AM

There's a Rosie Cotton trading/game card put out by Decipher <A HREF="http://www.decipher.com/lordoftherings/cardlists/fellowship/small/309rosiecottonhobbitonlass.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.decipher.com/lordoftherings/cardlists/fellowship/small/309rosiecottonhobbitonlass.html</A>

Banazîr 12-19-2001 10:03 AM

this makes me sick too, and I'm no male

silme-ranaa 12-23-2001 08:25 PM

*pukes all over the keyboard*

Marileangorifurnimaluim 12-26-2001 01:56 AM

More like an Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, etc., etc. sex symbols.

Elendur 12-26-2001 06:11 AM

Who cares. If you dont like it, then dont look for it.

Nenya 12-26-2001 10:40 AM

But hey, where's the "Who's the sexiest dwarf" poll??? And imagine "Miss Dwarf 2002"...

Lush 12-27-2001 11:28 PM

OK, whatever, I LIKE LEGOLAS. A lot. You can say I like Orlano Bloom, but he is quite separate from his character (he's an English brat who smokes and bungee-jumps, and I'm not ready for a man like that to be in my life). But Legolas, in the movie, and in the books (as I am discovering), is extremely attractive. Roll your eyes at me all you want, call me immature, whack me with half a sword. If I met someone like that, I would brave all the slimy orcs in the world to accompany him on his journey, and fight Gimli to the death for his attention.

Maluriel 12-28-2001 12:08 AM

I wish people didn't turn everything into sexuality or that kind of love. there are other points to the stories. Personally, I like the guy who plays Legolas, because I like the actor already (he's a punk like me ) and he plays my favorite character: an elf. but i understand your frustration

QueenMag 12-28-2001 03:45 AM

It's pretty futile to rail against it ... Jackson didn't cast unattractive actors in these roles, and the very nature of their characters makes them appealing. In addition, some of these actors (e.g. Wood, Bean, Mortensen) have been around for a long while; they are not *just* Frodo, Boromir and Aragorn. They had fan bases before this film, and can be identified with other roles as well. <P>People's imaginations will be inspired, and it's nearly impossible to contain that - short of forbidding the cast from any sort of junkets or publicity. Still, I had a crush on Aragorn from the books - before I even heard of the film; it had nothing to do with photo shoots or AOL (do people still use AOL?).

Lush 12-28-2001 01:39 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Maluriel:<BR><STRONG>Personally, I like the guy who plays Legolas, because I like the actor already (he's a punk like me ) and he plays my favorite character: an elf. but i understand your frustration</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Orlando Bloom is hilarious! I'd never invite a man like that "upstairs for a cup of coffee," but he would probably be interesting to meet. <BR>It's interesting how the contrast between him and his character works out:<BR>Bloom is a badass, but not in a physical sort of way, meaning I can't imagine him beating anyone up (has he?). Legolas is the kind of sweet and innocent guy...I mean elf, that you'd bring home to meet mommy; but when he smells orc and whips that bow out, he turns into a blond, baby-faced version of Commando. Fascinating!

Evil Anya 12-28-2001 04:03 PM

It doesn't bother me that so many people in the movie were so good looking, what bothers me is the way the media plays it up with all this "hobbit hotties" and Teen magazine crap. Could a society be more obsessed with celebrities and people's physical appearances? I don't think there is anything wrong with people finding others attractive, it's just the obsession with looks and celebrity that bothers me. I can only imagine that if 'unnatractive'(as it's all subjective) people had been cast people would never stop talking about how "ugly" they are because humans have this natural tendency to judge on looks. I don't exclude myself from this. Yes, perhaps the hobbits were attractive, but IMO it didn't take away from their portyal of hobbits.

Son of Gondor 12-28-2001 09:54 PM

As much as we may all be repulsed by this crass "hobbit hotties" (wipe that puke of your keyboard whoever did it) We have to remember that such companies as AOL have to pander the non-Tolkienite and therefore ignorant public. Ergo, you must advertize your hobbits, elves, and dashing men as studs in photo shoots to drool over.<P>Footnote: Gimli has gotten no respect!! And when's that dwarf pagent on?

Elrian 12-29-2001 04:11 AM

AOL actually pushed The Potter movie more than Rings anyway. Imagine Potter Hotties, it's too early in the morning to be laughing this hard I'll stick to the Elves myself and leave the Hobbit and Mirkwood Hotties to the teenagers. <BR>Dwarven Hotties? Gimli the Hottie, hmmm ok. I suppose if someone on here could go for the Miss Orc Hotties, there could be any kind of Hottie. Now there's something PJ could add to the movie somewhere a Dwarf woman, then there would be no more wondering what one looks like.<P>"Ladies and Gentlemen: Elrond the Hottie has left the buildng!"

Elrian 12-30-2001 01:02 AM

Not I dude, I know better.

Schvenn Of The Schack 12-30-2001 01:57 AM

Personally, I think Rosie's a babe.<BR> <BR>:: shrug ::<BR>Classless is as classless does.

Evil Anya 12-30-2001 02:26 AM

You only see her face for a split second, but i agree, i thought Rosie was super cute.

Enedcolloion 12-30-2001 04:15 AM

This isnt even funny.....but Arwen in the film is so hot.....

Snowflake 12-30-2001 11:59 PM

There are a few cute guys, however, fans of movies like FOTR didn't go to drool over a few actors. They went for a well-developed fantasy movie. Trying to play up a sex symbol thing in a movie like that is ridiculous.

Elrian 12-31-2001 12:32 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Snowflake:<BR><STRONG>There are a few cute guys, however, fans of movies like FOTR didn't go to drool over a few actors. They went for a well-developed fantasy movie. Trying to play up a sex symbol thing in a movie like that is ridiculous.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ahem, I happen to be a fan of LOTR, who also went to drool over one of the actors at the same time, ended up drooling over several.<BR> <p>[ December 31, 2001: Message edited by: Elrian ]

Elrian 12-31-2001 12:34 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Elrian:<BR><STRONG><P>Ahem, I happen to be a fan of LOTR, who also went to drool over one of the actors at the same time, ended up drooling over several, Who says you can't do both.<BR> </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Elendur 12-31-2001 02:20 AM

Arwen would have been hot, but the space between her chin and mouth is so big looking sometimes... I know Im shallow. Dont hate me.

Schvenn Of The Schack 12-31-2001 10:02 AM

Awwwww......<BR>Don't feel sad, we hatesss everyone equally.<BR>

FilmHobbit 12-31-2001 02:40 PM

I'm not surprised by the Orlando Bloom lust around here. The women on my site have practically started a Legolas fan club. But as you and they have pointed out, Orlando Bloom isn't attractive, just his character.

Rose Cotton 01-01-2002 09:08 AM

Well I don't know about sex symbols because I don't go goo goo about people. I also don't know about Orlando but you have to admit that Elijah is kinda cute.

Nenya 01-01-2002 12:10 PM

Well, I've always had a crush on Frodo and seeing him played by Elijah doesn't really reduce it... So I won't puke on my keyboard!(But i also promise I won't become an Elijah Wood junkie, Ionia! ) <BR>But yeah, I can see the point. LotR and sex; Doesn't really suit well together, does it? Actually I can't think of many other things that would make a worse pair.But I think it's kinda interesting to watch how our dear society will try and make also this a matter of sexuality. And it gives you a good laugh! (Imagine what Tolkien would've thought about his hairy little hobbits ending up to be sex symbols...!)And we'll have to admit that most of the actors aren't unattractive...So, I can understand the teen magazines trying to make the non-Tolkienists intrested. Let's not make this into such big of a deal, let's rather laugh to the narrow-minded people who think there's no world behind Britney Spears. (no offence, Britney)

Lush 01-02-2002 12:40 AM

Heh, I think I maybe had a little too much fun in celebrating the coming of the New Year, so forgive me for lacking logic and decorum, but I think that under the appropriate circumstances, sex can go pretty much with everything! However the word "sex" should not be made synonimous with the name of Britney Spears; Britney is not "sex", she is corporately-packaged monstrosity (at least as a public persona; in private, she could be the greatest girl ever, but personally I'd rather sit through five minutes of nails scratching on a blackboard than a Britney music video).<BR>As for the whole Orlando Bloom/Legolas deal, the fact that I, and thousands of other females, suddenly developed a crush after seeing the movie was enevitable, and does not do disservice to Tolkien in any way. He meant for Legolas to be attractive, as far as I can understand. In that sense, PJ & Bloom succeeded admirably.

Eowyn of Ithilien 01-02-2002 05:30 AM

*dying of laughing*<BR>

Elendur 01-02-2002 05:47 AM

I always thought Gimili was the guy all the ladies would go crazy over.. <P>P.S. I was just wondering, did Liv Tyler ever do Playboy shoots? I could have swore I saw a picture of her on a playboy page (It was part of a picture gallery on a German website.. dont worry. ) and I just went back to look for it, but it wasnt there. So does anyone know if she ever was in Playboy?<p>[ January 02, 2002: Message edited by: Elendur ]

Lush 01-02-2002 12:23 PM

Elendur-To the best of my knowledge (and my mind is an ocean of useless entertainment trivia) Liv Tyler did not do any Playboy shoots. Sorry.<BR>But alas, if you wish to see her in various states of undress, look no further than "Stealing Beauty."<BR>As for the whole space-between-mouth-and-chin dilemma that you're having, let me just say that I sincerely hope never to end up on a date with you! You'd probably spend the entire time with a ruler in my face, measuring my cheekbones!

Sindalómiel 01-04-2002 06:17 AM

OK, whatever, I LIKE LEGOLAS. A lot. But Legolas, in the movie, and in the books (as I am discovering), is extremely attractive. Roll your eyes at me all you want, call me immature, whack me with half a sword. If I met someone like that, I would brave all the slimy orcs in the world to accompany him on his journey, and fight Gimli to the death for his attention. <P>You'd have to fight me too, I think Legolas is extremely gorgeous. He's just incredible really.