The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Movies (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   can dead orcs move? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=10849)

Elf @ Heart 06-25-2004 11:26 AM

can dead orcs move?

Near the end of FotR, when Boromir had just been shot and left for dead, Aragorn ran over to him. Befor he got there, he jumped over this dead orc, and the dead ocr lifted it's head up and propped itself up on it's elbows! :confused: did anyone else notice this or am i just going crazy? :eek:

Son of Númenor 06-25-2004 12:13 PM

That's what the film industry intelligenstia refer to as a "slip up." ;)

Gorwingel 06-26-2004 01:01 AM

Noticed that during my 5th viewing of FOTR about 2 years ago (was it really that long ago, or am I going crazy?). No, I doubt that dead orcs move, but in this instance it was most definitely just a slip up. When I first saw that I couldn't believe my eyes, and I had a very difficult time keeping myself from laughing in the theater :cool:

The Only Real Estel 06-26-2004 04:14 PM

Well, perhaps he was not quite dead yet, & he used his last bit of strength to prop himself up on his elbows (or lift his head, whichever it was). Just to play the devil's advocate ;).

Kuruharan 06-26-2004 04:19 PM

Perhaps something was still sticking in his central nervous system? ;)

ashnak 06-26-2004 04:49 PM

can dead orks move?

you guys are amasing i thought i was obsessed now i'm going to have to watch it again. but as stated it is quite possible that he had something in his nervous system.

Kuruharan 06-26-2004 05:56 PM

Erm...

*cough* That was actually a forlorn attempt at humor, referencing Gimli's comments at the end of the Two Towers (EE) about the orc moving because his axe was in the uruk's central nervous system. *cough*

Knight of Gondor 06-27-2004 04:41 PM

Yep

I *think* that was an actor moving because he thought the shot was done. (Or perhaps Viggo accidentally hurt the poor Uruk by stepping on him) But I think the uruk could very easily have been too hurt to do any further harm, but not dead enough to be motionless.

I always thought the line Gimli gave was actually nonsensical.

"He's twitching 'cause he's got mah axe imbedded in his nervous system!"

(Suggested continuation of dialogue)

"Uh, Gimli? What's a nervous system?"

"I have no idea."

I mean, come on! Do they have Elvish disection tables? Numenorian scientists that have come up with nervous system titles just like us? It was funny, but it didn't make much sense.

elronds_daughter 06-27-2004 05:27 PM

he's not dead, he's pining for the fjords!

:p just something for all you Python fans out there.

Cheers!

Elrond's (other) daugher

Kuruharan 06-27-2004 05:43 PM

*gets up on soapbox*

Quote:

I always thought the line Gimli gave was actually nonsensical.
I'm inclined to agree with you. However, that makes it in keeping with the rest of the movie which was almost entirely nonsensical. And furthermore...

(Hook appears from stage right...)

...I'd also like to say that...*hoick* SWISH

Kuruharan abruptly vanishes from sight.

wilwarin538 06-27-2004 07:20 PM

It must have been a slip up, the actor probably didnt realize the camera was still on him,so he started to get up. The editors must have missed it, I definitly did, im for sure keeping an eye open next time I watch it.

The Only Real Estel 06-28-2004 04:20 PM

Quote:

I *think* that was an actor moving because he thought the shot was done.
I'm sure that's the actual reason, just one of the mistakes there are in the movies.

Son of Númenor 06-28-2004 04:33 PM

It may well have been a strange sort of orkish rigor mortis.

Estel, you've changed your avatar! All is lost.

Audreidi 06-28-2004 07:19 PM

Hhmmmm...although, there might be those dwarfish scientists who are so inclined to take cadavers from the roadside as did dearest Leonardo, and perform a dissection for self-educational purposes.

Stranger things have happened. :rolleyes:

Heh... Monty Python.

Quote:

DEAD PERSON: I'm getting better!

CUSTOMER: No, you're not. You'll be stone dead in a moment.

CART MASTER: Oh, I can't take him like that. It's against regulations.

DEAD PERSON: I don't want to go on the cart!

CUSTOMER: Oh, don't be such a baby.

ninlaith 07-13-2004 01:53 PM

Well I suppose dead orcs can move....???......Especially if you have your axe embedded in a dead Uruk-hai's nervous system and are sittin' pretty on number 43 while the Elf has 42. As a fellow actor it's hard to contain yourself sometimes when you're performing. That's where ad-libbing comes from. Maybe.....he thought his "dead orc" wasn't really dead and wanted to check and see if the coast was clear to get his Aragorn-beaten-butt out of there!

Encaitare 07-19-2004 02:28 PM

Elrond's Daughter, you rock. I was actually thinking about that when reading this thread... "Well, er...I'm not quite dead."

And yesh, Gimli's line was dumb. Amusing but OOC.

Boromir88 07-19-2004 04:31 PM

Many slip ups

Through these movies there were many "slip ups." At the council, snot comes out of Gimli's nose, in TTT, one minute Gimli's axe has blood on it, next shot it doesn't. In ROTK, Frodo was covered in webs going through Shelob's tunnel, then isn't then is again when the scene with him imagining Galadriel, those are just some of the ones. They actually hire people to watch for these things in the movies they I believe are called "consistancy technicians" or something like that, to watch for "inconsistancies." The guy hired for LOTR is now probably a bum on the street.

Fordim Hedgethistle 07-19-2004 04:45 PM

My favourite slip in all of the movies comes in TTT: when Eomer mounts his horse after confronting Aragorn, Leggie and Gimli, his sword falls out of its scabbard. :eek:

Quel horseman! :p

EDIT The person whose job it is to catch these things is called a Continuity Editor. I have always wanted that job. . .

Knight of Gondor 07-19-2004 08:48 PM

I think they should hold a contest from viewers at movie-mistakes.com, and pick like the top fifty submitters for those jobs. :)

There's loads more mistakes like that, and some of them I still can't help but notice. The sword falling out is one. How did Karl Urban keep acting with that happening? I mean, look out below, Viggo! Watch your toe!

ninlaith 07-25-2004 10:21 AM

After many times of watching the FOTR I had a feeling something wasn't right at a certain part in the movie. Then I just caught it. The part where Pip, Merry, Sam, and Frodo first set out with Strider Frodo asks "Where are you taking us?" and Strider replied "Into the wild!" Right after he finished his sentence his quiver hit the camera. I never noticed that until the last time I watched it. It's really hard to catch because they cut to the next shot right when his quiver connected. It's funny how many times you can watch a movie until you notice the mistakes.

Morsul the Dark 07-30-2004 07:20 PM

in gimli voice: "he was moving because he had the elf's arrow lodge in his central nervous system!!" but really you could call it a last effort twitch for life

Feanor of the Peredhil 08-02-2004 04:58 PM

For continuity mistakes, I always liked the leaf-direction changes on the Elven cloaks when the Three Hunters are wandering around Fangorn. I'd never noticed the others, but I'm thinking a quick observation (courtesy of scene selection) might just be in order.

Fea

ninja91 06-09-2006 11:02 AM

Probably one of those "Look mom! I'm on TV!" things.

Roa_Aoife 06-10-2006 08:35 PM

I heard this too. Apparently some other mistakes included a car that drove by while the 9 walkers were... walking... and an airplane that flew overhead just before everyone noticed the crabbai. A close friend of mine noticed both with her dad, but they were apparently edited out for the DVD's. I guess they couldn't edit out the zombie orc with out hurting the flow of the scene.

Also- consider the time frame in which the movies were shot and then released- I'm sure that in at least FOTR, the editors didn't have enough time to do a thorough job. And shooting was over by the time the editors got it anyways, so it's not like they can just redo the scene. Sometimes they have no choice but to leave things in.

Elladan and Elrohir 06-17-2006 07:05 PM

It looked to me and my brother like there were two dead orcs moving, or maybe even three, but I'll have to watch the scene again before I can make a definitive statement.

I don't think I've ever heard of an airplane flying over during filming, but there is documentation of a car in a scene from FOTR. Here's the full story (from amazon.com):

On the film's first theatrical release, a story circulated (and was reported in the goofs section) that when Sam tells Frodo that he is now the farthest he has ever been from home, a car is visible driving by in the background (top-right corner of the screen). Arguments ensued. Some said it was smoke from a chimney, others said they saw the glint of sunlight reflected from the windscreen of a fast moving vehicle. In the version of the film released on DVD there is definitely *no* car, only chimney smoke and a one-frame flash of light which *could* conceivably be a car, but not in any sense that could be considered a goof. Jackson says (in the commentary track on the Extended DVD) that he looked at every frame on a computer and has never seen anything resembling a car and claims that it's nonsense (and certainly the original sighting remains unconfirmed by IMDb goof spotters). In the documentary of extended DVD version, John Gilbert, the editor, says that there was a car in the background, but they thought no-one would notice it. They got rid of it in the DVD version. In a subsequent magazine interview, Jackson agreed that the car was there.

Parmawen 07-07-2006 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle
EDIT The person whose job it is to catch these things is called a Continuity Editor. I have always wanted that job. . .

I'd hate to have that job for something as big as Lord of the Rings. There'd be so much to remember! It's a miracle that there's only a few dead orcs wandering around, as opposed to hundreds.

Lothíriel Éadig 08-08-2006 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elf @ Heart
Near the end of FotR, when Boromir had just been shot and left for dead, Aragorn ran over to him. Befor he got there, he jumped over this dead orc, and the dead ocr lifted it's head up and propped itself up on it's elbows! :confused: did anyone else notice this or am i just going crazy? :eek:

I saw that...the orc maybe was dead, or was close to dying

Alcarin 09-03-2006 10:20 AM

I KNOW! Maybe it was an actor in an orc suit who made a mistake in the movie! :eek:
Just guessing!

OrcLeaderalpha 10-05-2006 05:21 AM

I guess he wasnt quite dead. orcs are just as mortal as anyone else.

doug*platypus 11-15-2006 08:34 PM

It was a Star Wars homage, of course! In The Empire Strikes Back, a recently Force-choked Captain Needa is clearly seen helping two guards carry him away by partially getting up himself. I'm just glad that PJ decided to leave this mysterious Captain Needa Orc in the final version! ;)

ArathorofBarahir 01-03-2007 02:25 PM

I think that was a slip up and besides if the orc is dead, its dead.

Celegost 03-15-2007 02:32 PM

Has anyone actually considered that the orc might not have been dead yet? :rolleyes:

FeRaL sHaDoW 03-15-2007 06:03 PM

We Got A Twicther.

Knight of Gondor 03-16-2007 09:23 PM

Obviously, this thread is not dead either. :D

Lalwendë 03-21-2007 02:31 PM

I know why the Orc moved.

New Line were planning on a sequel - Fellowship of the Bling, which would follow the lives of the Orc band as they retired to Mordor and pursued careers in the oil industry forming an incredibly wealthy dynasty in Barad-Dallas.

This Orc was actually the character known as Bobby Ewinghashthak. In the opening scenes of Fellowship of the Bling, 'widow' Pam Ewinghashthak is sitting mournfully on her bed, missing her 'deceased' husband, when to her great surprise in he wanders from the shower, drying his hair nonchalantly like nothing has happened. Of course Pam is shocked but it turns out that The War of the Ring was all just a bad dream...

Babidi Buu 08-07-2008 02:36 PM

So im not the only one that noticed the uruk move when aragorn ran over to boromir!
Either a Goof-up in the movie or
"Hmm? Where's he going? better watch- Oh Shoot! Two more are coming! Better play Dead!"

Just my thoughts though ^_^

Eönwë 08-14-2008 02:06 PM

I just re-watched it last week, and the thing that struck me most was the bit where, after Aragorn takes the hobbits into the wild, he throws the apple to Pippin (I think) and it hits him (Pippin, that is) in the face, and bounces into a completely different direction to the one in which Pipppin catches it.

thewichtking 02-05-2009 08:11 PM

i don't know if he was wounded he seemed to get up kinda quick:eek:like he was alright but i still think that was either in the the script or the guy just did it to confuse us so that someone would start this thread!

MaultheStoor 02-12-2009 07:43 AM

If I were an Orc and Aragorn jumped over me, I think I'd play dead too. Give Orcs credit for the little common sense they have. :p

sassyfriend 09-29-2011 05:45 PM

I too have seen the orc rising up. :D Love it even if it is a mistake.