The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Quotable Quotes (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Fill in the Blank (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4340)

Nurumaiel 01-03-2003 05:54 PM

"Sing hey, for the bath at the close of day
That washes the weary mud away
A loon is he that will not sing
O water hot is a noble thing!" -Pippin

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~Nurumaiel

hobbitlass 01-13-2003 11:26 PM

Yep, your go.

TolkienGurl 01-30-2003 03:13 PM

Its been a while, so I'm going. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Quote:

They came now to the ____ of _______. It was _____, and the ____ gleamed as if it were ___. The many _____ of the _____ had sharp _____ as though they had been newly _________. A few ________, and small _____-like splinters near the ____, were all the _____ that it bore of the ____ of the ____.

Guinevere 01-31-2003 02:20 PM

They came now to the foot of Orthanc. It was black, and the rock gleamed as if it were wet. The many faces of the stone had sharp edges as though they had been newly chiselled. A few scorings, and small flake-like splinters near the base, were all the marks that it bore of the fury of the Ents.

(From TTT, chapter "The voice of Saruman".)

TolkienGurl 01-31-2003 04:06 PM

Yup, Guinevere. (I like your name!) Your turn.

Guinevere 02-01-2003 10:49 AM

Thank you, TolkienGurl ! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] (Before I discovered Tolkien, the tales about King Arthur used to be my favourite ones... And my husbands name is Arthur! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] )

"_______, or _____?" said _______. "It is not _______, for _______ is only for those who see the ___ beyond all _____. We do not. It is ______ to recognize _________, when all other courses have been _______, though as _____ it may ______ to those who cling to _____ ____. Well, let _____ be our _____, a ____ before the ____ of the _____."

Guinevere 02-05-2003 03:22 AM

There are too many blanks, apparently. So I'll put in some additional words. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

"_______ or _____?" said _______. "It is not _______, for _______ is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt. We do not. It is wisdom to recognize _________, when all other courses have been weighed, though as _____ it may ______ to those who cling to false ____. Well, let _____ be our _____, a ____ before the ____ of the Enemy."

the phantom 02-05-2003 08:34 AM

I don't have my book, so I'm trying to go off memory here. I don't know if I got everything right, but if not, it should at least help other people anyway.

"Despair, or folly?" said Gandalf. "It is not despair, for despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt. We do not. It is wisdom to recognize necessity, when all other courses have been weighed, though as folly it may seem to those who cling to false hope. Well, let folly be our cloak, a veil before the eyes of the Enemy."

[ February 05, 2003: Message edited by: the phantom ]

Guinevere 02-06-2003 09:37 AM

Well done, phantom ! You got it exactly right. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Your turn!

the phantom 02-06-2003 09:42 AM

Ha ha!! Sweet! I'm reading LOTR again, and I just read that part last weekend, so it was fresh in my head.

Here's mine...

"The last is most ______, if you ride to ___ door with a _____ heart," said _______. "But there is no knowing what __ can __, or may choose to ___. A ____ beast ________ is not safe to ________. And _______ has ______ you do not guess. ______ of his _____!"

[ February 06, 2003: Message edited by: the phantom ]

alaklondewen 02-06-2003 06:16 PM

I, too, am re-reading LotR, and I just read this last night.

"The last is most likely, if you ride to his door with a light heart," said Gandalf. "But there is no knowing what he can do, or may choose to try. A wild beast cornered is not safe to approach. And Saruman has powers you do not guess. Beware of his voice!"

the phantom 02-07-2003 03:51 PM

That's correct alaklondewen!! Your turn.

alaklondewen 02-07-2003 10:22 PM

Thank you!

He would ____ with ____, of course, if I ____ him. In fact he ____ to ____ before the ____. But he does ____ ____ want to, ____. I want to ____ the ____ ____ before I ____, and the ____; but he is ____ in ____ with the ____, with ____ and ____ and ____ ____.

the phantom 02-08-2003 12:26 AM

He would come with me, of course, if I asked him. In fact he offered to once, just before the party. But he does not really want to, yet. I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains; but he is still in love with the Shire, with woods and fields and little rivers.

alaklondewen 02-08-2003 08:10 AM

You are on top of things! Good job. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

the phantom 02-08-2003 10:02 PM

Thank you. I try my best.

"Come!" __ said. "___ have ______ us well and __________. This is the ____ _____. Bring us to the ____, and then _ will not ___ ___ to go _______. Bring us to the ____ and ___ may __ where ___ wish- only ___ to our _______."

[ February 08, 2003: Message edited by: the phantom ]

the phantom 02-09-2003 10:18 PM

I'll fill in some blanks and see if that helps.

"Come!" __ said. "You have ______ us well and __________. This is the last stage. Bring us to the ____, and then I will not ___ ___ to go _______. Bring us to the ____ and ___ may __ where ___ wish- only not to our _______."

Dondagnirion 02-10-2003 10:45 AM

That would be Frodo to Gollum. Here are the fill in the blanks as far as I can see.

"Come!" Frodo said. "You have served us well and Faithfully. This is the last stage. Bring us to the entrance, and then I will not hold you to go further. Bring us to the tunnel and you may go where you wish- only not to our enemies."

I think thats about it. I have not read that part itself in a while so some of the words may be a bit off, sorry about that.

Dondagnirion
"There is no spoon."

the phantom 02-10-2003 07:52 PM

I don't have my book right now, but I'm fairly certain there are three words that are a bit off.

the phantom 02-13-2003 01:49 PM

So, is anyone going to finish this thing off? Dondagnirion had the right scene and all, just had some words wrong.

Anyone??

eleanor_niphredil 02-13-2003 02:30 PM

"Come!" Frodo said "You have guided us well and faithfully. Bring us to the gate, and then I will not ask you to go further. Bring us to the gate, and you may go where you wish- only not to our enemies."

Did I get it right?

[ February 14, 2003: Message edited by: eleanor_niphredil ]

the phantom 02-13-2003 11:17 PM

You missed one of the words that wasn't a blank! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

alaklondewen 02-14-2003 08:54 AM

"Come!" Frodo said "You have guided us well and faithfully. Bring us to the gate, and then I will not ask you to go further. Bring us to the gate, and you may go where you wish- only not to our enemies."

eleanor_niphredil 02-14-2003 11:57 AM

thats what I said!

alaklondewen 02-14-2003 10:39 PM

When I answered, you had the word "thought" instead of "only". I see you have changed it since then.

the phantom 02-14-2003 11:13 PM

Well, then, this is an interesting situation. If alaklondewen posted before eleanor edited, then alak gets to go. If not, eleanor gets to go.

You two decide who gets to go.

eleanor_niphredil 02-15-2003 04:07 AM

I guess I'll step down. alaklondewen , you can go.
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

alaklondewen 02-15-2003 08:10 PM

Thank you, eleanor.

"It is a ____ to ______ in my _____ without leave. Do you ______ that you were in my ________, ______ the _____ that my ______ made? Did you not _____ _____ _______ and ________ my people in the ______ and rouse the _____ with your _____ and _______?" [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

the phantom 02-15-2003 10:01 PM

"It is a crime to wander in my realm without leave. Do you forget that you were in my kingdom, using the road that my people made? Did you not three times pursue and trouble my people in the forest and rouse the spiders with your riot and clamour?"

alaklondewen 02-16-2003 08:50 AM

Yes! Good job, you're up.

the phantom 02-16-2003 03:37 PM

All right, here's mine...

"___ was right, I think. _____ did not ____ to ____ any friend to _____ with ___ in ______. But __ knew that __ must go _______. Something ________ after __ left __ that ________ ___ fear and _____."

eleanor_niphredil 02-17-2003 05:12 AM

Sam was right, I think. Frodo did not wish to lead any friend to death with him in Mordor. But he knew that he must go himself. Something happened after he left us that overcame his fear and doubt.

the phantom 02-17-2003 11:21 AM

I don't have my book right now, but it looks okay to me [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] .Your turn.

eleanor_niphredil 02-17-2003 12:04 PM

thanks.

"Then I ____ ___ no more,"said ________ " But do not _______ the ____ that has ____ down from distant _____; for oft it may ______ that old _____ keep in ______ word of things that ____ where needful for the ____ to know"

the phantom 02-17-2003 10:17 PM

"Then I need say no more," said Celeborn. "But do not despise the lore that has come down from distant years; for oft it may chance that old wives keep in memory word of things that once were needful for the wise to know."

eleanor_niphredil 02-18-2003 06:46 AM

Well done Phantom.

the phantom 02-18-2003 04:22 PM

Thanks much!

"If __ is a _____ ____ than the _______ ____, then __ must be ____ indeed," said _____. "But ___ had better ____ us about __, and let us ____ the _____ at ____."

eleanor_niphredil 02-19-2003 06:38 AM

"If it is a worse road than the Redhorn Gate, then it must be evil indeed" said merry "but you had better tell us about it, and let us know the worst at once!"

the phantom 02-19-2003 08:42 AM

Good job again, Eleanor!

eleanor_niphredil 02-19-2003 09:02 AM

Thank you.

"_____ are those ______ in the _____ of my ______; but they were ____ then, grey ______ in the _________ _____ us. And ____ the ____ ____, __________ unheeded the _____ and the _______, we ______ our ____ through a ___ ___ a _____, until we came at the ______ ___ to the _____ _____ at last."