The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   For Those Who Died Today... Happy Deathday! (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=11207)

Kath 06-06-2008 05:48 PM

Hey happy deathday Brinn! Six whole years, that's pretty impressive. Next test is the 10 year mark. :D

Thinlómien 06-06-2008 05:52 PM

Belated congrats, Brinn! :) It's so wonderful to have you here with us. :D

Aganzir 06-06-2008 05:59 PM

Happy (belated) deathday to Brinn! :) Great to have you here.

Brinniel 06-07-2008 12:54 AM

Thanks guys. :)

You know, I often find myself reading a thread and when something or terribly clever comes up I'll start laughing and say to myself, "Oh how I love these guys." It's really the people here that makes the Downs so wonderful...I've never seen any other forum like it and so well bonded. Anyways, I really do love the Downs (I don't know how I went almost two years without it) and I can't imagine leaving again anytime soon (and if I ever did disappear for some odd reason, I'm bound to return).

In fact, I can see myself at 30 still haunting the Downs. That'd be way cool actually...because then I could say, "Today is my 16th Deathday." :D

Morthoron 06-20-2008 07:26 PM

Hmmm...It would seem I celebrated a death over two weeks ago, but I still look relatively good and smell fairly fresh *sniffs shirt for tell-tale odor*. Who says all those preservatives in processed foods are necessarily a bad thing?

Which reminds me of a lyric I wrote a couple centuries ago from a song aptly entitled The Artifical Flavor, Monosodium Glutamate Blues...

When I die they won't embalm me
I am already well preserved
I'm a walking Tutankhamun
With all these chemicals in reserve
I got cellophane veins
And plastic-coated nerves.

Eönwë 08-03-2008 03:11 PM

Happy 1st Deathday TGEW! (for yesterday)

TheGreatElvenWarrior 08-03-2008 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eönwë (Post 564061)
Happy 1st Deathday TGEW! (for yesterday)

Yay! I am happy now, I have been dead for ONE WHOLE YEAR!
Thank You!

Groin Redbeard 08-03-2008 04:23 PM

Yes, congratulations on being dead TGEW! :) May a tombstone be over you head, and your tomb grow ever colder for many more years to come. Glad to have you with us! :D

TheGreatElvenWarrior 08-03-2008 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard (Post 564075)
Yes, congratulations on being dead TGEW! :) May a tombstone be over you head, and your tomb grow ever colder for many more years to come. Glad to have you with us! :D

*to adoring fans* Thank you, thank you! I am happy to be here with all of you wonderful wights!

Anyway, it's a good thing that the Downs is big enough for dorks like me, otherwise you all might be really dead...

Brinniel 08-12-2008 12:11 AM

It seems Volo's second deathday (which was last Friday) has passed by unnoticed. I would've mentioned it earlier except I was out of town. Forgotten deathdays occur way too often.

So without further ado...Happy Deathday Volo! Glad to have you among the dead. :smokin:

Rune Son of Bjarne 08-12-2008 08:16 AM

It did not go unnoticed in Finland (mainly because Volo him self made sure to mention it).

Volo 08-12-2008 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brinniel (Post 564347)
It seems Volo's second deathday (which was last Friday) has passed by unnoticed. I would've mentioned it earlier except I was out of town. Forgotten deathdays occur way too often.

So without further ado...Happy Deathday Volo! Glad to have you among the dead. :smokin:

:D Wonderful! Thank you a lot for not only noticing it! :) I'm glad to have myself among such dead too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne (Post 564371)
It did not go unnoticed in Finland (mainly because Volo him self made sure to mention it).

Well, it was because we discussed the times we joined in the sauna. Oh, and thanks for the mead.

Legolas1 08-12-2008 09:49 AM

i died a couple of days ago!!!!!

Rikae 08-26-2008 06:52 PM

Ah! Yesterday! And I only realised it because I was looking at old posts from last year, for no reason.

Two years I've been hanging around here. I'm not sure if that's something to be proud of or not...
:cool:

Thinlómien 08-27-2008 02:15 AM

Belated congrats Rikae! I don't know if you should be proud of those two years - I would, if I were you - but I'm sure you're glad of them, and we're so glad too because we love to have you around. :D (Heehee, I'm quite sure I'm not just talking for myself....)

Legate of Amon Lanc 08-27-2008 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rikae (Post 566015)
Ah! Yesterday! And I only realised it because I was looking at old posts from last year, for no reason.

Two years I've been hanging around here. I'm not sure if that's something to be proud of or not...
:cool:

Definitely somethin to be proud of :D If only because it's honor to be a Downer!

And belated deathday congrats from me, too :) Stay around for many more...

Macalaure 08-27-2008 10:13 AM

Ah! I missed your deathday, Rikae! Belated congratulations, love! :)

Groin Redbeard 08-27-2008 01:28 PM

Happy day after your deathday, Rikae. :) Those two years one the Downs are probably the best spent years of your life!

TheGreatElvenWarrior 09-02-2008 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legolas1 (Post 564384)
i died a couple of days ago!!!!!

Just wait till you get to the one year mark, like me. GOSH! I'm old...

Thinlómien 09-03-2008 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior (Post 566773)
Just wait till you get to the one year mark, like me. GOSH! I'm old...

Yeah, you are... :p belated congrats, by the way. :D

TheGreatElvenWarrior 09-04-2008 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien (Post 566784)
Yeah, you are... :p belated congrats, by the way. :D

Okay. Maybe not that old... lets see, in 2004 when you joined, Lommy I was 10. And would not have dreamed of any website like this. Not even in my worst nightmare.

And Thank You!

Mister Underhill 09-05-2008 12:48 AM

Eight years since I took to these fog-shrouded cyber mounds. Yikes!

Yes, I've gone rather quiet in recent years, but I still stroll among the hills, passing them by on the East side no less, when it's quiet and no one is about...

Thinlómien 09-05-2008 12:52 AM

Wow

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Underhill (Post 566965)
Eight years since I took to these fog-shrouded cyber mounds. Yikes!
Yes, I've gone rather quiet in recent years, but I still stroll among the hills, passing them by on the East side no less, when it's quiet and no one is about...

I'm amazed both to see the venerable Sir Underhill posting and to realise he's really been here for eight years... That's quite a lot really, quite an achievement. (Achievement? Now that sounds like this was some horrible place that people can't stand for a long time... :D) But anyway, congrats Mr Underhill and may you haunt here for many more years! :)

Estelyn Telcontar 09-05-2008 01:18 AM

Congratulations indeed, Mister Underhill! You've been a vital part of this website, whether posting in its early days (I still enjoy rereading those hilarious exchanges between you and Sharkey!) or quietly working in the background. May you continue to enjoy your life after death here.

Mister Underhill 09-05-2008 11:41 PM

Thank you, ladies. It's hard to believe it's been such a long time since I first clapped eyes on the eerie green blade of the Downs. A lot of changes, a lot of water under the bridge, many friends found and many lost, and through it all, even as I've become more and more tree-ish, a click on the Downs has been nearly a daily ritual during that time.

I feel positively Elvish. Some day, I suppose, I'll sail West and leave the Downs behind me. But not today.

Inziladun 09-06-2008 07:54 AM

A belated congratulations, Mister U. It is good to know you are still lurking about. I had begun to fear you had indeed gone the way of the Eldar and left the Downs forever.

Groin Redbeard 09-06-2008 07:56 AM

Happy Deathday Mr. Underhill, I'm glad that you're still hanging around! :D

Kath 09-06-2008 08:46 AM

Looks like Mr Underhill is getting a little melancholy. Still, I suppose that's understandable after so many years in the wilderness. Many happy returns on your deathday, and come back to us. :)

Legate of Amon Lanc 09-06-2008 10:12 AM

Indeed. To me, Mister Underhill was always more like a shadow on the borders of old stories...Eight years, that's almost unbelievable, and the more to actually see him, I could say, walking on the green earth in the daylight... *shrugs* Happy Deathday... :)

TheGreatElvenWarrior 09-06-2008 10:31 AM

Happy Deathday to you indeed, Mister Underhill!

Mister Underhill 09-08-2008 12:49 AM

Thanks, everyone, for the well-wishes!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inziladun (Post 567040)
A belated congratulations, Mister U.

Inziladun! Holy smokes! You are almost as well-preserved as myself. I didn't know you were still around either. Nice to see a face from the Elder days.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kath
Looks like Mr Underhill is getting a little melancholy.

Aye, that happens sometimes when I think back on the first few years of the site. The fact that my old compadre HerenIstarion is currently in a war zone doesn't help my disposition. :(
Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
To me, Mister Underhill was always more like a shadow on the borders of old stories...

Ai, has it come to that? I post from time to time in the hidden administrative sections of the Downs, pitching in to squash spammers or make sure the machinery continues to clank away behind the scenes, so I feel a little more active than I appear to the naked eye. But I'm actually rereading LotR for the first time in a few years, so maybe I'll dredge up a few new ideas for Books, and the Hobbit movies are sure to draw an opinion or three as well.

Anywho, thanks and regards to all.

Rune Son of Bjarne 09-22-2008 11:15 AM

Amazing!

Once again I managed to miss my own deathday. . . It is almost a tradition by now.

Legate of Amon Lanc 09-22-2008 11:28 AM

Well, happy belated deathday to you, Runne son of Bjarrne. Many Downer meetings for you in the future... even far more you had until now...

Thinlómien 09-22-2008 11:37 AM

Haha, Rune, happy deathday. Three years starst to sound rather venerable already... although I still remember it when you joined. ;)

Rune Son of Bjarne 09-22-2008 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien (Post 568583)
Haha, Rune, happy deathday. Three years starst to sound rather venerable already... although I still remember it when you joined. ;)

Venerable indeed. . . although I would be worried if you all of the sudden forgot.

HerenIstarion 09-22-2008 03:08 PM

Mine is actually tomorrow, but seeing as I may not be able to get over here tomorrow, pardon me for posting it earlier

So, 8 years

Even if I was a rare visitor for last couple of years (not my fault, circumstances, kind ladies and merciful sirs!)

I'm starting to feel old. At least I've been barely in my 'tweens' when I've stumbled upon this graveyard, and it feels like having been just yesterday :rolleyes:

Feanor of the Peredhil 09-22-2008 04:44 PM

Heren! Underhillo!

I fear nostalgia is setting in...

Nogrod 09-22-2008 05:02 PM

Happy Deathday Heren!

Quote:

Originally Posted by HerenIstarion (Post 568600)
I'm starting to feel old. At least I've been barely in my 'tweens' when I've stumbled upon this graveyard, and it feels like having been just yesterday :rolleyes:

Now as you have a child those words are coming more and more true in the RL as well... I remember becoming a father "just yesterday" and now Lommy and Greenie are in the senior secondary high-school!

So beware! :)

And enjoy!

PS. We never got to talk much back in the days you were more actively around... but you showed me the way when I was posting my first posts as a total stranger to this kind of forums in the first place. I do remember that with gratitude.

Rune Son of Bjarne 09-22-2008 05:10 PM

Heren

8 years. . .amazing, in 2 years time you must tell me how it feels to have been on this site for a decade.

It is good to see that you still manage to pop in every now and then, it makes the barrows more homely. . . anyways have a good day tomorrow.

Groin Redbeard 09-22-2008 06:11 PM

Cheers

A happy Deathday to HerenIstarion and Rune! I hope you come back Heren and I hope Rune stays for many more years! :D