The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Who here thinks that Arwen and Galadriel really didn't need to have such big roles... (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=3761)

Daewen 07-18-2002 07:52 PM

Who here thinks that Arwen and Galadriel really didn't need to have such big roles...

I think that they really didn't have important roles in the books, and they should stick to the basic idea. I mean come on...wheredid that whole "Arwen and Aragorn" love thing thing come in? NOWHERE AT ALL IN THE BOOKS!!!!
Galadriel was hardley mentioned in the books too. It was basically Celeborn who did everything. They shouldn't screw things up like that...

What do you think?

Bulelainwen 07-18-2002 08:12 PM

I agree there wouldnt have been much of a difference if they werent in the books

Eruwen 07-18-2002 08:12 PM

Well, in the book Galadriel did have a big part. So I don't mind that. But I do think they are putting too much infuses on the whole Arwen thing. I mean, I heard she is supposed to be in the scene with the battle at Helm's Deep. Now there's something wrong with that. I just don't get it. I guess I'll just have to wait to see the movie.

Lothiriel Silmarien 07-18-2002 08:19 PM

Eruwen has said exactly what I would have said. Although I think that Galadriel didn't have as big of a part in the movie.

cassiopeia 07-18-2002 10:25 PM

Galadriel gave Frodo the phial which helped Sam defeat Shelob. Her other gifts helped the fellowship as well, so I think she is important. I can't remember what Celeborn did. I agree that Arwen didn't do much in the book, but Aragorn and Arwen's marriage was special in the sense that it reunited the two lines of Aragorn and Arwen's decent.

Nevfeniel 07-19-2002 07:08 AM

Can people PLEASE stop nit-picking all the little things about the movie? Sure, it wasn't perfect, but what movie is? You should just be happy with how it is, and remember how lucky you are to have a LotR movie in the first place.

Daewen 07-19-2002 07:48 AM

Oh come on. Geeze, we're not "nit-picking" we're just wishing that they would stick to the books.

Nevfeniel 07-19-2002 07:57 AM

I'm just tired of hearing, "Arwen shouldn't have rescued Frodo' and 'she shouldn't have been in FotR'. It bugs me. A lot. That's just my personal opinion, of course.

orlandoandsaran 07-19-2002 08:45 AM

Yes, yes. Arwen shouldn't have a big part in the movie as i would want to see Glorfindel though he also wasn't a major character....
But Galadriel plays a major role in the whole story.
But I do not really mind that Arwen was in the movie. I mean...like....they will surely show Arwen and Aragorn's wedding...so of course you've got to tell who she is, right?
But what is that thing about the fight at Helm's Deep??!?!!??? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Maladriel 07-19-2002 02:25 PM

Say sweety...

don't you agree with me that Aragorn in the movie is just that little extra
nah, I don't really mind his precense.

Maladriel

maleliel 07-19-2002 02:30 PM

I agree that Arwen's part was a bit too big and if she's in the battle of Helms Deep then I will scream [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] But I don't think that it has diminished the magic of the books. It could've been a lot worse, they could've completely massacred the books, but they did a good job I reckon!!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Gimli Son Of Gloin 07-19-2002 02:33 PM

She's gonna be at Helm's Deep??!!?? That's-That's- ILLEGAL!

Ravenna 07-19-2002 03:48 PM

I hope Arwens' not at Helms deep too! but I can see why they put the love story angle in the first film, it helps to explain things to the non-readers watching, introduces the obligatory 'love story' early on, and I suppose that replacing Glorfindel with Arwen was the easiest (and cheapest) way to do it. Quite frankly I was surprised but delighted that there were so few changes from the original plot, long may it continue.

Arwen Imladris 07-19-2002 05:51 PM

I agree with you Nevfeniel. we shouldn't be too bugged with this. Afterall, atlest we have a movie. And I think that most of you would agree that it is better then the animated version.

Neither Galadriel nor Arwen had huge roles in the book, but Arwen has a whole section in the Apendix about her and Aragorn, and I just finished reading the section on Galadriel and Celeborn in UT. They are importent, I think that PJ was trying to get deeper into ME then just LOTR.

Arathiriel 07-19-2002 11:32 PM

Quote:

I mean come on...where did that
whole "Arwen and Aragorn" love thing thing come in? NOWHERE AT ALL IN THE BOOKS!!!!
<font color="cornflower">
Keep in mind I haven't seen the movie yet but there was a love story angle for Arwen/Aragorn in the books. Sure it really wasn't address until ROTK (especially in one of the appendixes) but it WAS there in the original books... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Owain son of Urien 07-20-2002 02:13 AM

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] There are ALWAYS changes made when a book is brought to the screen. The most important thing is that they stick to the spirit of the book and not change the emphasis; like altering personalities or introducing new main characters [I can live with Lurtz].
Arwen isan important character in the overall story [agreed?]. If the plotline is 're-jigged' a bit [while keeping within the spirit] to make non-fans care more about her, then it's ok. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ July 20, 2002: Message edited by: Owain son of Urien ]

[ July 20, 2002: Message edited by: Owain son of Urien ]

*Varda* 07-20-2002 06:15 AM

I don't think many of you actually know what you're talking about when you tell PJ to stick to the books. Do you have any idea how hard that would be? Everyone has a completely different image of Middle Earth and the characters and PJ couldn't possibly live up to every single one. Also, some of the changes he made were probably crucial to getting LotR to the big screen in the first place. If you feel you could have done a better job then do it yourself.

Just be happy we have a LotR movie in the first place and stop nit-picking.

Sangoff 07-21-2002 01:53 PM

I have to agree with Varda and Nevfeniel. Everyone should just take the movie for what it is and stop complaining about it.