The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   toms outlet (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=18422)

carpinteyroxhc 06-18-2013 02:56 AM

toms outlet

i tom

i sell stuff

buy tom stuff

Aganzir 06-18-2013 04:18 AM

Brooches set with blue stones! Long, leaf-shaped daggers, damasked with serpent-forms in red and gold! Circlets! Gold chains! Rings! Come buy, come buy!

Nerwen 06-18-2013 05:45 AM

Sale on Fantasy/Sci-fi Names! From dragons to princesses to alien bounty-hunters, from the realms of faery to the far reaches of space, we’ve got the names for you!

30% off Iruhva, Pnydtr and Mvhuja!

50% off Yrsmrd, Vmeesv, Ugaiac and Xvinwu!!!

and an unbelievable–

70% off Ihanra, Ivkvao and Rvywvn!!!!!

(Participating outlets only. While stocks last.)

Estelyn Telcontar 06-18-2013 05:49 AM

Spammer banned, but the following posts are worth leaving up for a day or so - enjoy!

Galadriel55 06-18-2013 02:53 PM

i talk in sentences of 3 syllables or less.

make that:

i tlk 'n sntncs 'f three sllbles or lss.

alatar 06-18-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carpinteyroxhc (Post 684386)
i tom

i sell stuff

buy tom stuff

Thanks for banning the spam Esty, as with advertising like that, how could anyone possibly resist? :eek:

i esty

i ban spam

i ban tom

Galadriel55 06-18-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alatar (Post 684405)
Thanks for banning the spam Esty, as with advertising like that, how could anyone possibly resist? :eek:

Well, you know, some try to do it in chinese...

Aganzir 06-19-2013 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alatar (Post 684405)

i esty

i ban spam

i ban tom

:D

I was disappointed when I first opened this thread though, because I thought for a second that it would be about Tom Bombadil and it obviously wasn't.

Bęthberry 06-19-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aganzir (Post 684412)
:D

I was disappointed when I first opened this thread though, because I thought for a second that it would be about Tom Bombadil and it obviously wasn't.

Well I was disappointed that this wannabe Tom--erm, "i Tom"--lacks the finesse with language which the original Tom has.

Inziladun 06-19-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bęthberry (Post 684420)
Well I was disappointed that this wannabe Tom--erm, "i Tom"--lacks the finesse with language which the original Tom has.

I tom,
sell tom tom
buy bombadillo!
;)

Bęthberry 06-19-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inziladun (Post 684422)
I tom,
sell tom tom
buy bombadillo!
;)

Or perhaps:

"I Tom
Buy Tom
Sell spamadillo" ? :D

Mithalwen 06-19-2013 02:23 PM

Well I think that this Tom is a better poet..touch of the William Carlos Williams quality.

Bęthberry 06-19-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mithalwen (Post 684431)
Well I think that this Tom is a better poet..touch of the William Carlos Williams quality.

Do I foresee a duel--(red) wheelbarrows at dawn? ;)

Poetry of course is 9/10ths taste, but for me the really interesting aspect of the original Bombadillo--well, there are several--is the fact that even his prose is rhythmic, metred. Nonsense as he is, there's quite a bit to old Tom if one scratches the surface, like much in Tolkien.

Nerwen 06-20-2013 01:31 AM

I think Mith has a point, though. There is something to be said for the simple directness with which “i tom” conveys his message...

Estelyn Telcontar 06-20-2013 02:23 AM

This is one of the reasons I love the Downs so much - our witty members can take trash and make it so enjoyable that it turns into a jewel of humour!

Mithalwen 06-20-2013 03:27 AM

Bombadil's poetry is sub~vogon and makes Pam Ayers seem like TS Eliot in comparison.:smokin:

Pervinca Took 06-20-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar (Post 684392)
Spammer banned, but the following posts are worth leaving up for a day or so - enjoy!

Couldn't the thread be left up as a worthy rival to the other spambot thread? The Lucy one, I think it was?

Inziladun 06-20-2013 07:37 AM

You know, why should this be all about Bombadil? There's another Tom in Middle-earth!

Tom the Troll says: "What's a spambot anyways? And can yer cook 'em?" :D

Pervinca Took 06-20-2013 07:43 AM

Hang on ...

"Up came Tom with his big boots on
Said he to Troll, "Pray, what is yon?"

Was the Tom of Sam's troll-song actually Tom Bombadil? I'd never thought of that before.

Also, I'm sure at least one of the Cottons was called Tom. (Maybe short for Tolman; I don't recall exactly).

Aganzir 06-20-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pervinca Took (Post 684459)
"Up came Tom with his big boots on
Said he to Troll, "Pray, what is yon?"

Was the Tom of Sam's troll-song actually Tom Bombadil? I'd never thought of that before.

Also, I'm sure at least one of the Cottons was called Tom. (Maybe short for Tolman; I don't recall exactly).

Where was the discussion about Tom Bombadil's influence on Sam? Was this mentioned there, or is it something I was going to post but never did?

Because when B-berry linked Sam's sudden bursts of poetry to Tom Bombadil, the choice of the name 'Tom' in the poem seems hardly coincidental.

Bęthberry 06-20-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aganzir (Post 684462)
Where was the discussion about Tom Bombadil's influence on Sam? Was this mentioned there, or is it something I was going to post but never did?

Because when B-berry linked Sam's sudden bursts of poetry to Tom Bombadil, the choice of the name 'Tom' in the poem seems hardly coincidental.

Well, there was my paper on "Tolkien and Nonsense" at RotR *coughs* where Tom's influence on Sam was discussed and I do believe I have mentioned it once or twice here on the Downs.

It is no accident that Tom is linked with folk nonsense verse. (And for that reason--the relation of Bombadil to early folk nonsense--I would reject Mithalwen's claim that Tom's poetry is "sub~vogon".)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inzil
You know, why should this be all about Bombadil? There's another Tom in Middle-earth!

Tom the Troll says: "What's a spambot anyways? And can yer cook 'em?"

By jove, you've got it! :D

Aganzir 06-20-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bęthberry (Post 684464)
Well, there was my paper on "Tolkien and Nonsense" at RotR *coughs* where Tom's influence on Sam was discussed and I do believe I have mentioned it once or twice here on the Downs.

Oh yes! And more recently in some thread here, I believe - anyway I managed to connect it to you despite my rubbish memory.

Pervinca Took 06-20-2013 01:11 PM

Tom B wouldn't have a "nuncle," I suppose - "He would fall, last as he was first," I think Elrond says. And not in the sense that Lear's Fool uses the term, either, since he serves no-one. But in nonsense rhyme such things wouldn't matter.

Galadriel55 06-20-2013 05:17 PM

You guys don't get anything! He's neither Tom B, Tom the troll, or Sam's Tom! He's actually Gollum. He just has a conflict of identities. One side of his character says, "i tom". The other side responds immediately, "i sell stuff". How can someone named Tom also be named Sell Stuff? Nay, this here is clearly a battle between the Gollum and the Smeagol!

Aiwendil 06-20-2013 05:27 PM

I note that according to the OED, 'tom' can be a verb meaning 'to practise prostitution' - which could perhaps also be euphemistically described as 'selling stuff'. Clearly, then, the post was intended as a kind of confession; 'carpinteyroxhc' (probably a pseudonym) usually keeps his/her occupation secret but needed an 'outlet'.

Edit: I never would have guessed my 2,000th post would be in a thread started by a spambot.

Mithalwen 06-21-2013 03:01 AM

Oh come on Behberry! Ombadil gives the impressiion he chooses his gaudy wardrobe to fit his ghastly rhymes.

There is another Tom. One of the fringe casualties of the war of the ring at Bree, Tom Pickthorn and not forgetting Tomfools whether Tooks or chief's men... or tom tap in Moria

tomtom 06-21-2013 06:32 AM

tom back

bombadil not poet
tom poet
tom poetbot
buy tom verse

Bęthberry 06-21-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mithalwen (Post 684488)
Oh come on Behberry! Ombadil gives the impressiion he chooses his gaudy wardrobe to fit his ghastly rhymes.

Oh come on Mithalwen!

Tinkly Zinky
Tilly-loo!
and Yonghy-Bonghy-Bo
Uncle Arly

How pleasant to know Mr. Bombadil.

But I do rather like "Ombadil". Om, the universal mantra. :)

Mithalwen 06-21-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bęthberry (Post 684512)
Oh come on Mithalwen!

Tinkly Zinky
Tilly-loo!
and nghy-Bonghy-Bo
Uncle Arly

How pleasant to know Mr. Bombadil.

But I do rather like "Ombadil". Om, the universal mantra. :)

Still can't type well on micro keyboard and hate Bombadil ... and his stupid poetry.

Bęthberry 06-21-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mithalwen (Post 684515)
Still can't type well on micro keyboard and hate Bombadil ... and his stupid poetry.

Well, I'd say it's just plain silly, but I won't quibble with you.

Here's a bit more from Mr. Lear that might provide more nonsense context. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr and Mrs Discobbolos

So Mr and Mrs Discobbolos
Stood up, and began to sing,
'Far away from hurry and strife
Here we will pass the rest of life,
Ding a dong, ding dong, ding!
We want no knives nor forks nor chairs,
No tables nor carpets nor household cares,
From worry of life we've fled -
'Oh! W! X! Y! Z!
There is no more trouble ahead
Sorrow or any such thing -
For Mr and Mrs Discobbolos!'

Galadriel55 06-21-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomtom (Post 684490)
bombadil not poet
tom poet
tom poetbot
buy tom verse

OK, out with it. Who's having all this fun? Nerwen? Agan? alatar? ...Inzil???

Mithalwen 06-21-2013 04:30 PM

Lear is just as bad then. Id prefer the ning nang nong.

Galadriel it is quite obvious that tomtom is in league with our friend from San Seriffe the Herald of Mandos

Herald_of_Mandos 06-23-2013 12:33 AM

Sprung! Curses!:mad:

Mithalwen 06-23-2013 02:48 AM

Shh we will only speak of it in a small light font. But always happy to see you especially off season. Pineapples and swarfega all round!

Aganzir 06-23-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel55 (Post 684524)
OK, out with it. Who's having all this fun? Nerwen? Agan? alatar? ...Inzil???

Not me, but I've been asking myself the same question! Especially as the original poster didn't actually speak in rhyme - I was assuming a modly intervention gave them the gift of poetry.

Mithalwen 06-23-2013 11:21 AM

The poetry of the original wa perceived, by me as it happens, rather than intentional I think..like that of Donald Rumsfeld