The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Movies (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Favourite song sung in the movies (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=11533)

Evisse the Blue 01-06-2005 03:11 PM

Favourite song sung in the movies

To explain: I mean song, not orchestral piece, or else I would have posted this in the soundtrack topic. But most songs are not even included in the soundtrack tape. :( So let's discuss our favourite songs, the lyrics, the tune, how they fit the situation, how they describe a certain feeling, event, how well the singer performs.

My favourite one is from the Extended TTT, Eowyn's burial song for Theodred. It gives me shivers down my spine when I hear it, it's so beautiful. I've been trying to get the lyrics to it, but couldn't find them. Still I understand this bit: "En Meduselde,...monnum sended' which reminds me of course of "Eala Earendel engla beorhtast ofer middangeard monnum sended" (the lines from Cryst of Cynewulf, which inspired Tolkien). Anyway this song illustrates very well the culture of the Rohirrim. It's somewhat "rich and rolling in part, and hard and stern as the mountains" ;) And Miranda's voice is perfect for it.

Finwe-89 01-06-2005 03:12 PM

Merry and Pippin in Edoras in the Rotk... THE GREEN DRAGON! :D

AbercrombieOfRohan 01-06-2005 03:20 PM

I really liked the song sung in the background in the Houses of Healing scene. It fit really well, especially since the directors decided not to have any dialogue in that scene. It really conveyed Eowyn's feelings without her having to say anything. What I'm trying to say is that it made up for the lack of dialogue and if they were going to shorten that scene I'm glad they did it this way.

Oddwen 01-06-2005 03:53 PM

Evisse, for lyrics to Eowyn's lament (and most of the rest of the lyrics to the soundtracks) try this link.

And Abercrombie - I don't know if you knew this, but the song in the HoH was recorded by Liv Tyler. "Arwen's Song", though I don't know what she really had to do with that stuff. :confused:

Finwe-89 01-06-2005 04:12 PM

Here are the lyrics of Eowyn's song, I got it from Oddwen's link, but I post it for lazy people that don't want to click on the link:

Heo naefre wacode daegred
To bisig daegeweorcum
Ac oft heo wacode sunnanwanung
Thonne nihtciele creap geond moras

And on thaere hwile
Heo dreag tha losinga
Ealra thinga the heo fortas.

Heo swa oft dreag hire sawle sicende
Heo ne cuthre hire hertan lust

AbercrombieOfRohan 01-06-2005 04:20 PM

oh, well that's a bummer! If you ignore that then maybe it's a good song.

Finwe-89 01-06-2005 04:22 PM

So, you're saying that Arwen sung the song? And that they added it in the movie so it looked like Eowyn sang?

Vanwatholiel 01-06-2005 06:43 PM

wow

Wow. I so did not know that. Are you serious? Arwen sung that? Wow. :eek: Eek! My fav song is the one Merry and Pip sang on the extended version on the FOTR. At the Green Dragon. I memorized that song. I love it! It is so uplifting and cheerful. Just a good song you could have a jolly good time with. A really fun song. There is just one word I don't know. Here it goes:

Heave, Ho, to the doddle(?) I go,

to heal my heart and drown my woe.

The rain may fall, the wind may blow,

but there's to be many months to go!

Sing to the sound of the pouring rain,

and the spring that flows from hill to plain,

better than rain or rippling brooke,

Pippin: There's a mug of beer inside this Took! :D

Ok, I'm done. Thank you. Bye.

Oddwen 01-06-2005 06:43 PM

No, in TTT Miranda Otto sung Theodred's lament. In RotK, the song in the Houses of Healing was sung by Liv Tyler. A while ago there was a spot of news about Arwen having a song, but nothing was heard of it 'til the EE.

Evisse the Blue 01-06-2005 07:27 PM

Thank you for that link, Oddwen! Cool, now I can sing along. (j/k)
And I guess I dreamed the 'monnum sended' part or better said misheard it.

Arwen's song does seem pretty weird to be put in a scene which is actually about Eowyn - it seems somehow ironical. In the EE, Philippa Boyens said that it's meant to create a connection between the two women, although I'm not sure I see one. :p Nonetheless it's a very nice song.

The Only Real Estel 01-06-2005 07:46 PM

Quote:

Heave, Ho, to the doddle(?) I go
I believe that'd be 'bottle'. But none the less you are generally much closer than I was when I tried to give the lyrics of it (I butchered the lyrics like nothing has been butchered before [this side of Gothmog at least ;)]). :eek:

I liked both of the songs that Merry & Pippin sing over mugs of ale, their song in the Green Dragon & their song of the Green Dragon both rank way up there.
But personally, I like Billy Boyd's song in RotK, All Shall Fade or whatever the title of it is. The switching between Pippin, Denethor, & Faramir and the rest of Gondor's knights just makes it that much better.

Captain of Despair 01-06-2005 08:20 PM

Pippin's song was my favorite, followed closely by Aragorn's. They both have great lyrics and are sung very well.

Beanamir of Gondor 01-07-2005 07:49 AM

The best drinking song in the entire world (which I sang walking around Epcot):
Hey ho, to the bottle I go
To heal my heart and drown my woe
Rain may fall and wind may blow
Though there still be many miles to go
Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain
And the stream that runs from hill to plain
But better than rain or a rippling brook
Is a mug of beer inside this Took!

That song is taken from FOTR, in two songs, one a drinking song sung by Pippin and Sam, another from the famous Bath Song, sung by Pippin

But better than rain or a rippling stream
Is water hot that smokes and steams!

If you want to hear SONG versions of those songs, buy this CD:http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...086597-0418209

[Sorry about super-long URL]

The song sung by Pippin in ROTK:
Home is behind, the world ahead
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow, to the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight
Mist and shadow, cloud and shade
All shall fade... All shall fade.

On the ROTK soundtrack it's on the track for "The Steward of Gondor".

Lalaith 01-07-2005 08:43 AM

The lyrics posted above are actually for The Missing - this is Eowyn's Lament - which does indeed, as you thought Evisse, hold a line about Meduseld:
Bealocwealm hafað fréone frecan forth onsended
(An evil death has set forth the noble warrior)
giedd sculon singan gléomenn sorgiende on Meduselde
(A song shall sing the sorrowing minstrels in Meduseld)
þat heo mano arer his þruc ne deores
(That noble cousin who always held me dear)
on meagorinc deorcas, belu
(now is held in darkness, enclosed)

The Rohirric (that is, Anglo-Saxon) is written by David Salo. I'm not sure that he got the alliterative rule quite right, can any scholars help me on this?

dancing spawn of ungoliant 01-07-2005 08:54 AM

Here is another link for Eowyn's dirge which lyrics differs slightly from the one in Oddwen's link. I don't know which one is more accurate, though.
That link above provides also lyrics and translations for other songs / dialogues heard in the trilogy.

I think Liv sings very beautifully during HoH though at first it felt weird to hear someone singing that kind of a song in English instead of Sindarin or Quenya. Btw, are the credit songs prohibited in this discussion? Anyway, at least one of my very favourites is the elves' song in the Shire. Click for the soundfile. Here are the lyrics:

A Bereth thar Ennui Aeair!
Calad ammen i reniar
Mi 'aladhremmin ennorath.
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
i chin a thûl lín míriel...

'O Queen beyond the Western Seas!
O light to us that wander
Amid the tree-woven middle-lands.
O Elbereth Star-kindler
the eyes and breath your [are] shining-like-jewels...'

The feeling of the song is quite plaintive but on the other hand very hopeful and pacific. I think it fits perfectly for elves. The melody is mysterious or even a bit eery. It's a shame that Frodo and Sam can't keep their mouths shut during that beautiful piece :rolleyes: ;) It doesn't sound at all like a regular walking song (such as the hobbits sing). At that point in the movie we haven't actually seen many elves (except in the prologue). Elves are presented in that scene as very noble and lofty characters and their song emphasizes the feeling. I like the idea that despite the elves are walking through the Shire, they are just singing their own ancient songs about their favourite Vala ignoring every disturbing creature around them.

Encaitare 01-07-2005 02:25 PM

Good points, ungoliant. I love that song too; I remeber getting all excited when I first realized what it was. I had no idea what they were saying, but then I caught A Elbereth Gilthoniel and was forced to bounce in my seat for quite a while. :cool:

It's an awesome piece. One thing I noticed, though, is that the melody is the same as the first line of "Gollum's Song."

Vanwatholiel 01-07-2005 03:11 PM

hmmmm...

Whoops! Thank you, The Only Real Estel! :rolleyes: I have always wondered what exactly that word was. Silly me! Thank you for the compliment also. I appreciate it. :D Wait. So are those the true lyrics or are they just a mixture of the bath song and the drinking song, Beanamir of Gondor? It sounds like it. I'm entirely not sure. :confused:

Evisse the Blue 01-08-2005 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancing spawn of ungoliant
The feeling of the song is quite plaintive but on the other hand very hopeful and pacific. I think it fits perfectly for elves. The melody is mysterious or even a bit eery. It's a shame that Frodo and Sam can't keep their mouths shut during that beautiful piece :rolleyes: ;) It doesn't sound at all like a regular walking song (such as the hobbits sing). At that point in the movie we haven't actually seen many elves (except in the prologue). Elves are presented in that scene as very noble and lofty characters and their song emphasizes the feeling. I like the idea that despite the elves are walking through the Shire, they are just singing their own ancient songs about their favourite Vala ignoring every disturbing creature around them.

I agree completely. This lovely scene is my perfect idea of Elves. (unfortunately the scenes that follow shatter it a little). The way they move, and sing, and pass like shimmering lights through the trees, is a beautiful image.
Btw, I find it funny the way Frodo says: "Sam! Wood Elves!" He says it as if they are some rare animals or something they were lucky to stumble upon. :D

Encaitare 01-08-2005 03:27 PM

Quote:

Btw, I find it funny the way Frodo says: "Sam! Wood Elves!" He says it as if they are some rare animals or something they were lucky to stumble upon. :D
Croikey! Jus' look at these beauts -- the evah-elusive wood-elves!

Hah. Yay Croc Hunter.

lady tarahiriel 01-08-2005 05:42 PM

I had two favorite songs. The first one was the song at the very end of ROTK when Aragorn is "chanting". And my other favorite song doesn't have words but its the music that is playing while they are talking about the hobbits at the beginning of FOTR

Oddwen 01-08-2005 09:11 PM

Thank you to mark12_30 for the link. :D

Nilturiel 01-09-2005 12:12 PM

My favourite song is probably the one Gandalf is singing in the beginning of FOTR, "The road goes ever on". I think Bilbo is singing it too when he is leaving the shire.

Here is a part of it:

"The Road goes ever on and on
down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
and I must follow, if I can."

mark12_30 01-09-2005 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddwen
Thank you to mark12_30 for the link. :D

Ummm-- what link? I haven't even posted in this thread? Before now, I mean.

Now that I'm here though: Eowyn's lament, favorite featured song. Background song: oh, all that lovely soprano work, especially on and around Mount Doom.

mark12_30 01-09-2005 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evisse the Blue
I agree completely. This lovely scene is my perfect idea of Elves. (unfortunately the scenes that follow shatter it a little). The way they move, and sing, and pass like shimmering lights through the trees, is a beautiful image.

ps. Gildor's troop, I think?

Oddwen 01-10-2005 08:05 AM

Quote:

Ummm-- what link? I haven't even posted in this thread? Before now, I mean.
(mark12_30)

There was another thread that you linked that to. I can't find it now. Hmm...

Essex 01-10-2005 10:27 AM

My favourite song did not make it to the films. It's Use Well the Days sung by Annie Lennox. I know a link to a copy of this has been posted on this site before and I'll see if I can find it again. It really is a beautiful song with great lyrics (mainly taken from the book). I'm wondering if it will ever end up on Howard Shote's "mega mix" of LOTR he's been speaking about releasing one day.......

Mad Baggins 01-10-2005 11:10 AM

My favourite song has to be the song Aragorn sings at his coronation (it fits so nicely with that scene) or Pippin's song when he sings for Denethor in his hall. Switching back and forth from Pippin to Faramir was a nice touch for it.

Oddwen 01-10-2005 07:15 PM

Essex (and everyone else ;) ) Use Well the Days can be found at the link I posted above. Look for the lyrics, and underneath will be a "download this mp3" linkeroo. :cool:

Enorëiel 01-10-2005 09:37 PM

My favorite song is definitely a tie between the one Liv Tyler sings during the Houses of Healing (anyone know where I can download that or get a copy of it?) and the song Pippin sings - "The Edge of Night". Both are equally haunting and beautiful - each one has such a mystical feel to them. :)

Quote:

My favourite song did not make it to the films. It's Use Well the Days sung by Annie Lennox. I know a link to a copy of this has been posted on this site before and I'll see if I can find it again. It really is a beautiful song with great lyrics (mainly taken from the book). I'm wondering if it will ever end up on Howard Shote's "mega mix" of LOTR he's been speaking about releasing one day.......
Hey Essex I know this song is available on the special edition of the ROTK soundtack. I've seen it in stores but haven't had a chance to buy it. I have the sheet music to this song but have still never heard it and I can agree on one thing - the words are beautiful...

dancing spawn of ungoliant 01-11-2005 05:21 AM

Arwen's song!

Quote:

anyone know where I can download that or get a copy of it?
Here you go. Arwen's song can be downloaded here. It's a shame that the piece is so short, though.

Enorëiel 01-13-2005 06:38 PM

Thanks so much Dancing Spawn - you're a life saver! I too wish it was longer but I'm glad that it's at least as long as it is. :D

Assasin 01-25-2005 06:06 PM

I liked the song when Eowyn was in recovery. It was really pretty, but had a modern twist to it. :)

Orophin 01-25-2005 10:46 PM

Hahaha, I like many people before like the Merry/Pippin green dragon song in Rotk. It was quite unexpected and even a little random but I thought it was quite good and entertaining..........

Assasin 01-26-2005 01:20 PM

I like the one in FOTR that Merry and Pippin sing, and I like the one in ROTK that they sing together as well. :)

Finwe-89 01-26-2005 02:54 PM

I like the songs of Merry And Pippin, but the song of Pippin is very sweet too in RotK

aelithes 01-26-2005 03:37 PM

Purely in terms of melody, I really like Eowyn's lament in Rohan - it's simple, and evocative in itself but doubly powerful when coupled with her acting.

I thought Pippin's song in Minas Tirith is a good example of how a musical piece can really have a profound effect on the audience with some strategic editing. I don't particularly love the tune, but it's very fitting for the scene.

alatar 01-27-2005 11:56 AM

I liked the song sung at the end of TTT. "Gollum's song," sung by Emiliana Torrini, just would not get out of my head. The song is haunting, creepy and filled with a lonely sadness. It was the whole, "we are lost, we can never go home..." lyrics that I really liked.

Enya's "May it be," was also pretty good. Sad, but in a 'you have to keep going though things are bad' kind of way.

Lathriel 01-27-2005 05:58 PM

I discovered this completely new song at the end of the fan credits. on the DVD.If you have the ROTK EE I think you should listen to it because it didn't get onto the soundtrack and it is so beautiful. It brought tears to my eyes. Its partly instrumental but i think Renee Fleming sings in it with the boys choir.

Apart from that I can't say which song is my favourite. I love them all and I like it that the actors sung because Tolkien's world is so full of different songs and music in general. It is a really important part of ME

The Tennis Ball Kid 01-30-2005 04:47 PM

Lathriel: Yes, I love that bit too. :D According to Doug Adams(who's writing a book about the score), it's called "Bilbo's Song", more on that here(just scroll down a bit).

ttbk

King of the North 02-01-2005 12:36 PM

my favorite song in the movies is the one sung by Eowyn at Theodred's funeral in the EE TT. It is a beautiful song and is also in an Old English meter, which i am currently studying.