The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   New Members - Introduce Yourself Here (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=2941)

Mithranduil 11-03-2014 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inziladun (Post 695260)
I doubt Mithranduil has any sinister intentions. TORN already has the job of hunting down movie-haters. ;)

Actually, my intentions are solely sinister and evil, Morgoth is my favorite character from The Silma *grins evilly*

(kidding!)

No, seriously, though. You wanna know what my real intention is? Guess away!

(is it ok to keep off-topic here?) :)

Formendacil 11-03-2014 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mithranduil (Post 695261)
(is it ok to keep off-topic here?) :)

Actually, it is the rare distinction of the Downs that we are far more tolerant of all those Movie-lovers with their love of the movies* than of Off-Topic. The Downs has no Off-topic forum or off-topic threads--though from discussion to discussion, and especially subforum to subforum (Books and Mirth represent the extremes, I'd say) there are degrees of elasticity--not every thread is hyper-focused, but no matter what the forum, stray too far and the Chat Skwerls will come warning...

*Translation also can be read: "those movie-haters with their hate for the movies"

Tar-Jêx 11-04-2014 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formendacil (Post 695262)
Actually, it is the rare distinction of the Downs that we are far more tolerant of all those Movie-lovers with their love of the movies* than of Off-Topic. The Downs has no Off-topic forum or off-topic threads--though from discussion to discussion, and especially subforum to subforum (Books and Mirth represent the extremes, I'd say) there are degrees of elasticity--not every thread is hyper-focused, but no matter what the forum, stray too far and the Chat Skwerls will come warning...

*Translation also can be read: "those movie-haters with their hate for the movies"

I don't understand movie haters for LotR, but I'm definitely onboard with The Hobbit critics.

Mithalwen 11-04-2014 07:16 AM

Hate may be too strong a word but personally I think just aboit every character in the film save Boromir was diminished and they missed the whole point of the book by leaving the Shire completely unaffected by the War of the Ring. It looked about right and some of the casting was great . I also find it too boring to rewatch though it was enjoyable enough in an actual cinema. As a film itvwas ok.. as an adaptation a curates egg.

King Naugladur 05-26-2015 04:27 AM

Hello Everybody!

Hello everybody!
I am a new member. King Naugladur is my screen name, borrowed from my favorite character from the Book of Lost Tales. I am a fan of Dwarves and everything Dwarvish. May your beards grow even longer!
King Naugladur.

Inziladun 05-26-2015 09:06 AM

Welcome to the Downs, King Naugladur!

There's plenty here on Dwarves, and any other Tolkien stuff under the Sun.

Have fun!

Galadriel55 05-26-2015 10:14 AM

Seconded! Welcome to the Downs, King Naugladur! You'll find you're not alone in your love of Dwarves and Dwarvish. :)

Pitchwife 05-26-2015 10:15 AM

Thirded, Welcome to the Barrow Downs Remade, King Naugladur! Enjoy being dead!

Faramir Jones 05-26-2015 11:33 AM

Welcome!

Welcome to the Barrow Downs, King Naugladur!:D

King Naugladur 05-27-2015 10:40 PM

Thank you!

Thanks for the warm greetings, everybody!:)
King Naugladur.

Legate of Amon Lanc 05-28-2015 04:44 AM

Let me add a belated welcome as well, King Naugladur, and hope you find this place comfortable and interesting :)

Pervinca Took 05-28-2015 09:12 AM

Welcome aboard, King Naugladur!

narfforc 07-08-2015 08:45 AM

The Return of The Dank Lord of Bad-odour

'I'm a newbie honest' said narfforc, as he tried to slide back in under the radar.

'No you jolly well aren't, and you know it' replied The Witchy-king of Wagner, Lord of the Ring-cyclists and Morgue-lord of Minus Piffle.

'But does not visiting for umpteen years not count then?' asked narrforc.

'NO!, now go away' roared Coughsmog The Lord of the Labdogs of Mortcough.

'I'm going to set my friends on you lot' replied narfforc.

'Friends, don't make laugh' giggled Smog the Lonely Dragon of Errorbore.

'Starting with you worm, Throbin Oakenhead son of Thrown son of Throb, and his gang, want a word with you, and you Witchy-king better watch out for Earwax daughter of Earnaught sister of Earmore' said narfforc as he scarpered .................... now who shall I annoy next he thought.

Kuruharan 07-08-2015 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by narfforc (Post 700516)
'I'm a newbie honest' said narfforc, as he tried to slide back in under the radar.

'No you jolly well aren't, and you know it' replied The Witchy-king of Wagner, Lord of the Ring-cyclists and Morgue-lord of Minus Piffle.

'But does not visiting for umpteen years not count then?' asked narrforc.

'NO!, now go away' roared Coughsmog The Lord of the Labdogs of Mortcough.

'I'm going to set my friends on you lot' replied narfforc.

'Friends, don't make laugh' giggled Smog the Lonely Dragon of Errorbore.

'Starting with you worm, Throbin Oakenhead son of Thrown son of Throb, and his gang, want a word with you, and you Witchy-king better watch out for Earwax daughter of Earnaught sister of Earmore' said narfforc as he scarpered .................... now who shall I annoy next he thought.

Well now, isn't this a surprise.

Welcome back!

narfforc 07-08-2015 08:58 AM

I'm Back

I've missed this old place.......

Galadriel55 07-08-2015 09:43 AM

Seconded! Welcome back, Narfforc!

Pitchwife 07-08-2015 12:52 PM

Thirded. Welcome back, narfforc! (I never noticed you were gone, but that's because I was gone for about the same time...:rolleyes:*at self*)

Pervinca Took 07-08-2015 01:02 PM

Welcome back again, narfforc!

Faramir Jones 07-10-2015 08:06 AM

Welcome back!

Welcome back to the Downs, narfforc!:D It's good to hear from you again...:cool:

KarlPeredhel 09-25-2015 01:31 PM

Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

Hey, I several someones mentioned this forum at Oxonmoot, so here I am!
I first got into Tolkien with the LOTR films (I was 5 at the time) and since then seem to have "accidentally" read far too many books far too many times.

Galadriel55 09-25-2015 01:34 PM

Hi Karl!

Welcome to the Downs! Reading far too many books far too many times is a noble pasttime. :D

Pervinca Took 09-25-2015 02:37 PM

Hi Karl, and welcome! I was at that room party, if that's where it was that you kept hearing about the Downs. ;)

KarlPeredhel 09-25-2015 02:57 PM

The room party was just one of many occasions :)

Galadriel55 09-25-2015 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarlPeredhel (Post 702274)
The room party was just one of many occasions :)

Can I just mention that I'm really proud of my fellow Downers? :D

(I wasn't at Oxonmoot, but I'm really happy that the Downs had a strong enough representation to draw your attention!)

narfforc 09-25-2015 03:39 PM

I wasn't at the room party, or you would surely have remembered, however welcome home.

Aganzir 09-25-2015 03:55 PM

Hurrah glad you joined! I was probably the most vocal about the Downs at Oxonmoot so good to see it wasn't for nothing. :D Hope you'll enjoy your stay! :)

Pervinca Took 09-25-2015 04:23 PM

I've been attending Oxonmoots for some years now, and I think 2007 was the first one at which we were graced with shades from the Downs. I considered this visitation (and the subsequent ones - every year since, I think - were some of you at Christ Church?) such an excellent and happy phenomenon that I eventually became undead myself.

Estelyn Telcontar 09-26-2015 02:31 AM

The first time I met Downers at a Tolkien Society event was at the big conference in 2005 in Birmingham ("The Ring Goes Ever On"). Incidentally, it took that trip across the water for me to actually meet members of the German Tolkien Society as well and to subsequently join it. Since then I've attended Oxonmoot a number of times, including the one in Christ Church.

At the moment circumstances are such that I can do very little travelling, alas, but in keeping with my nick I do hold on to hope that there will be opportunity for many meetings in the future! (I already have some fabrics for costumes that need to be made and shown... ;) )

Faramir Jones 09-26-2015 09:16 AM

Welcome!

Welcome to the Downs, KarlPeredhel!:) I was one of those present at Oxonmoot 2015, who helped to draw your attention...;)

TilloW 11-11-2015 12:43 AM

I hope that this is the place where you introduce yourself! Hello, I'm TilloW. I have read (most of) the books and seen the movies so somebody pointed out to me that this would be a good place to learn even more about the world of Tolkien. :)

Faramir Jones 11-11-2015 07:21 AM

Welcome!

Welcome to the Downs, TilloW!:) Please don't hesitate to ask questions of me and your other fellow members.

Galadriel55 11-11-2015 08:06 AM

Seconded! Welcome aboard, TilloW! Lots of discussions here about both books and movies, and other stuff as well!

TilloW 11-15-2015 08:50 AM

Great, thanks Galadriel and Farimir Jones!:D

Pitchwife 11-17-2015 01:14 PM

Another somewhat belated Welcome to the Downs, TilloW! Enjoy being dead! This place is not as populated these days as it used to be (and some who haunt it are not as vociferous, mea culpa), but you'll be hard pressed to find a nicer bunch of Tolkien nerds anywhere. Or a nicer bunch of people.

Eowyn-of-Rohan 11-24-2015 08:08 AM

Hello!

My name is Eowyn and I am a new Tolkien fan. I just got into it this past summer. I never gave it a try until this year, but I am glad I did. Now I drive my friends and family nuts with my obsession!

I am also a freshman in high school, yay.

Galadriel55 11-24-2015 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eowyn-of-Rohan (Post 702962)
Hello!

My name is Eowyn and I am a new Tolkien fan. I just got into it this past summer. I never gave it a try until this year, but I am glad I did. Now I drive my friends and family nuts with my obsession!

I am also a freshman in high school, yay.

Hi Eowyn! Welcome to the Downs, and to the fandom! :) Funny, I also became obsessed with Tolkien and joined the Downs when I was a freshman. :D Must be something to do with needing Tolkien at that stage of your life. ;)

Inziladun 11-24-2015 08:56 AM

Welcome, Eowyn! Always good to see new Tolkien fans. :)

Faramir Jones 11-24-2015 10:31 AM

Welcome!

Welcome to the Downs, Eowyn-of-Rohan! :) Please don't hesitate to ask us any questions.

Eowyn-of-Rohan 11-24-2015 02:34 PM

Thank you all for the welcome! I was a little nervous about posting for the first time, so now I feel more comfortable.:)

Pitchwife 11-25-2015 12:48 PM

I welcome you as well, Eowyn-of-Rohan! No reason to feel shy, we're all pretty well-behaved wights around here. :) I still remember that phase of fresh obsession vividly, that urge to tell all the world about this fascinating other world you've just discovered. If only there had been a place like the Downs, and an easy way to find it, back in the Seventies, I'd have felt a lot less like a freak sometimes. However, I babble. Enjoy being dead!