The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Top Ten Signs You're Addicted to the Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5145)

Brinniel 04-08-2008 02:26 PM

On Facebook, I just received a notification that I have "1 (Lil) Green Patch request" (some sort of extra application for the site).

I'm sure all you other BDers can understand who that instantly reminded me of...

A Little Green 04-09-2008 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brinn
On Facebook, I just received a notification that I have "1 (Lil) Green Patch request" (some sort of extra application for the site).

Haha :D I received that one as well and had to accept it just because it had such a good name... (Me, an egoist? No way!)

:rolleyes:

Eönwë 04-11-2008 04:59 AM

When you wonder why you've only posted as little posts as you have, when there are so many shiny new threads.

MaultheStoor 04-14-2008 12:36 PM

Talk to the lonely Stoor

When you get depressed when no one ever answers your posts. When you feel that the only friends you have are online and when you say 'my friends' you'e reffering to the other BDers.

Thinlómien 04-14-2008 12:51 PM

When someone starts telling about their dreams and says "I dreamt that Iron Maiden had a gig in metro...", your first reaction is: "IronMaiden? Who's that? Should I know her? Is she a newbie?" :rolleyes:

Also, if you happily write "wolves" when you should write "vowels"... :D:D

Macalaure 04-14-2008 01:49 PM

When you read the Children of Húrin and think that Mormegil written with a capital "M"... just... looks... wrong.

Mithalwen 04-14-2008 01:54 PM

Oh yes... and it seems odd that Nogrod is a place and that they keep missing the 88 off Boromir .......

Rune Son of Bjarne 04-14-2008 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien (Post 553062)
When someone starts telling about their dreams and says "I dreamt that Iron Maiden had a gig in metro...", your first reaction is: "IronMaiden? Who's that? Should I know her? Is she a newbie?" :rolleyes:

That is not a sign of addiction to the downs. . . It is a sign of lack of education! Iron Maiden is soo retro, soo cliche, which in turn means that they are soo cool! ! !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mithalwen (Post 553071)
Oh yes... and it seems odd that Nogrod is a place and that they keep missing the 88 off Boromir .......

When I read in my history books I constantly read Nogrod instead of Novgorod.

Also the fact that I can walk around with a big smile on my face all day, just because some random downer had a dream in which I appeared.

Nogrod 04-14-2008 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne (Post 553077)
When I read in my history books I constantly read Nogrod instead of Novgorod.

I have made that mistake myself as well... Now what does that tell you? :rolleyes:

Nogrod 04-14-2008 05:36 PM

Also seeing or hearing any mentioning of old runes in Scandinavia brings quite different ideas to me... And I should be able to study the old mythologies! :)

Gwathagor 04-14-2008 08:06 PM

At the public library they were selling a book called: Literary Market Place 2005. The title was then also abbreviated above in large letters: LMP. That was what I saw first, and, needless to say, I did a double-take.

Lhunardawen 04-14-2008 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macalaure (Post 553070)
When you read the Children of Húrin and think that Mormegil written with a capital "M"... just... looks... wrong.

Very true. If I remember right, morm said somewhere that he wanted to capitalise the first M. I thought it would look very odd.

Volo 04-15-2008 02:12 PM

I had to write a letter about my musical tastes in an English course. So...

Hookbill the Goomba 04-15-2008 02:19 PM

A discussion in my creative writing class about describing a room...

Lecturer: So, there's a telephone in the room. What kind?
Me: A paper one.

:rolleyes:

Mithalwen 04-16-2008 06:39 AM

To add to the education of the not so old Scandinavian Rune ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne (Post 553077)
That is not a sign of addiction to the downs. . . It is a sign of lack of education! Iron Maiden is soo retro, soo cliche, which in turn means that they are soo cool! ! !

Iron maidens were also a medieaval torture device - and a reason for Mrs Thatcher's soubriquet of "The Iron Lady". No comment.

Lhunardawen 04-16-2008 07:28 AM

When reading a month-old issue of the Downer (for the first time) and seeing the words "Doctor Lhunardawen" in an article made your week. :D

Hookbill the Goomba 04-16-2008 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lhunardawen (Post 553234)
When reading a month-old issue of the Downer (for the first time) and seeing the words "Doctor Lhunardawen" in an article made your week. :D

Glad to be of service. ;)
I think you were a scientist at some point in the very early ones... I may be mistaken, I can't keep track of all the lies... I mean facts... (I don't think anyone noticed).

Once again, I felt the niggling sense that I'm addicted to the Downs when my lecturer today said, "I knew someone who had a bone marrow transplant" and I thought he said, "I knew someone who had a mone BARROW transplant." :o

Finduilas 04-16-2008 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba (Post 553242)
Once again, I felt the niggling sense that I'm addicted to the Downs when my lecturer today said, "I knew someone who had a bone marrow transplant" and I thought he said, "I knew someone who had a mone BARROW transplant." :o

Addiction: Your first thought on reading this was, "The lecturer's been reading the Downer. He doesn't know anyone who's had a marrow transplant..."

Kath 04-16-2008 02:51 PM

When you're listening to David Bowie's Jean Genie and the line 'poor little greenie' comes up and you immediately get a picture in your head of that photo of Greenie in the barrow with those hands!

EDIT: Huh, and when you then spend a few minutes wondering just why we collectively shorted Little Green to Greenie with an ie rather than a y like we did with Lommy.

Gwathagor 04-16-2008 03:00 PM

I think 'ie' is more of a diminutive suffix in English...and she IS younger than Lommy, right?

Finduilas 04-16-2008 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwathagor (Post 553275)
I think 'ie' is more of a diminutive suffix in English...and she IS younger than Lommy, right?

Yes.

Rune Son of Bjarne 04-16-2008 04:57 PM

How I wish you where here. . .

This is one for those who was around when we had our "survivor" threads going. . .

When I hear "Another Brick In The Wall" I sing:

"We don’t need no segregation. We don’t need no vote control.
No dark oppression on the Island.
Glirdan, leave those elves alone!"

Kath 04-16-2008 05:23 PM

Quote:

I love the idea you think it was a conscious decision. :D

Thinlómien 04-17-2008 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwathagor (Post 553275)

Hmmm... but why's our father called Noggie then? :eek: :p ;)

Nogrod 04-17-2008 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien (Post 553295)
Hmmm... but why's our father called Noggie then? :eek: :p

It must be because I'm so small... :D

Aganzir 04-17-2008 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kath (Post 553274)
When you're listening to David Bowie's Jean Genie and the line 'poor little greenie' comes up and you immediately get a picture in your head of that photo of Greenie in the barrow with those hands!

Actually, I used that in Greenie's death narration in the ww modded by me. ;) I'm not sure if I quoted it also right when we were taking the photos, but I know for sure that I sang it earlier that day. :D

Gwathagor 04-17-2008 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien (Post 553295)
Hmmm... but why's our father called Noggie then? :eek: :p ;)

He's not...short, is he?

Aganzir 04-26-2008 11:29 AM

That which is suitable for a legate is not suitable for a princess

So... I'm reading the Hunchback of Notre-Dame by Victor Hugo, which I now find more amusing than the last time I read it.

Quote:

"Then it is not the same one," said Gisquette, "that was given two years ago, on the day of the entrance of monsieur the legate, and where three handsome maids played the parts--"

"Of sirens," said Liénarde.

"And all naked," added the young man.
Quote:

"That is a pity," resumed Gisquette. "That day, at the Ponceau Fountain, there were wild men and women, who fought and assumed many aspects, as they sang little motets and bergerettes."

"That which is suitable for a legate," returned the stranger, with a good deal of dryness, "is not suitable for a princess."
Quote:

"How well I remember that!" exclaimed Gisquette; "God on the cross, and the two thieves on the right and the left." Here the young gossips, growing warm at the memory of the entrance of monsieur the legate, both began to talk at once.

"And when the legate passed, you remember, Gisquette? they made the assault, and the English all had their throats cut."

"And against the gate of the Châtelet, there were very fine personages!"

"And on the Port au Change, which was all draped above!"

"And when the legate passed, they let fly on the bridge more than two hundred sorts of birds; wasn't it beautiful, Liénarde?"

A Little Green 04-26-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

He's not...short, is he?
Errr... well, not exactly. :p He's around 180 cm (some 6 ft?) tall so I wouldn't call him short...

Today I was amused by our DVD player's remote control because it had the letters "LG" in it. :rolleyes:

Gwathagor 04-26-2008 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aganzir (Post 553892)
So... I'm reading the Hunchback of Notre-Dame by Victor Hugo, which I now find more amusing than the last time I read it.

Fascinating book. I've only read it once, while I was living in Paris, but I really enjoy all the history that Hugo puts in his books. Chapters and chapters of historical context for a single scene...he does that in Les Miserables as well.

Being addicted to the Barrow-Downs really is a life-enriching experience. You find start finding meaning every where you look, in the littlest of things. :)

satansaloser2005 04-26-2008 12:54 PM

*is an addict*

I actually mentioned the Downs in a term paper. Scary part is, it made sense.

Oh, and the other day, Emily and I were driving to dinner and I mispronounced some word (don't remember what it was, sadly) and said "Finn" instead of "thin" when talking about the fog that was everywhere. Emily responded, "Great. Now I'm envisioning Lommy passing gas." It was excessively random, I'm not going to lie.

A Little Green 04-26-2008 12:57 PM

"That which is suitable for a legate is not suitable for a princess" would make a nice siggy for Legate, actually... :Merisu:

Eönwë 04-28-2008 11:11 AM

When you do this instead of revising for your vitally important Year 9 SATs.

Legate of Amon Lanc 04-28-2008 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Little Green (Post 553900)
"That which is suitable for a legate is not suitable for a princess" would make a nice siggy for Legate, actually... :Merisu:

I actually thought about that for one moment when I saw what Agan wrote :D

Kath 04-28-2008 11:22 AM

Quote:

If it's any help, by the time you get to GCSE's the SATs really don't matter! So don't feel too bad about procrastinating. :p

Hookbill the Goomba 04-28-2008 12:06 PM

When you see a Wheel Barrow painted white and think "Ha-ha! Wheel Barrow Wight! :D "

Yes.

Kath 04-28-2008 03:30 PM

When you laugh so hard at Hooky's post above that your bemused housemates stare at you and when you try to explain ... well, let's just say they really didn't get it. :D

Thinlómien 04-29-2008 12:34 AM

When finding the verb "caber" from your book makes your Spanish lesson suddenly far more amusing than it was before... :D

Thinlómien 04-29-2008 05:52 AM

Does this count: for the last two days or so, I've been mistyping every single word ending in -mit as -mith, like just a while ago I wrote admith. And I don't even realise the typo before reading through it again...

Mithalwen 04-29-2008 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eönwë (Post 554038)

Eonwe, don't worry about them.. they are vitally important to the school but not so much for you as an individual....

Lommie, that is a bit scary...

but then I couldn't take a Letter before action as seriously as I might today because it was from "SPM Collections" .... perhaps the reason we haven' t seen so much of him lately is becasue he is mooonlighting as a bailiff (NB the letter was to the company I am working for not me personally!)