The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Top Ten Signs You're Addicted to the Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5145)

A Little Green 12-15-2008 10:21 AM

People who played in the Republic WW game might understand why I started giggling on an English lesson after reading the following passage...

When you suddenly change your opinion or decision to an opposite one, you do a 180.

Rune Son of Bjarne 12-15-2008 10:26 AM

I don't understand why that made you laugh. . . . for me that game was rather traumatic.

Legate of Amon Lanc 12-22-2008 04:40 PM

I think one interesting sign of addiction is when your brother is listening to Jethro Tull and your first reaction is to go and tell him: "Hey, I know this song - Hookbill used to have it as his location!"

TheGreatElvenWarrior 12-22-2008 10:17 PM

When you are very stressed all day long and all night (and the week before) because you haven't gotten your picture for Paper Telephone in yet...

Or when your Downsian friends become more important to you than your RL friends... (except Laurinque, because you can talk about the Downs with her...)

Eönwë 12-23-2008 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc (Post 578520)
I think one interesting sign of addiction is when your brother is listening to Jethro Tull and your first reaction is to go and tell him: "Hey, I know this song - Hookbill used to have it as his location!"

That's understandable. I probably would have done that too. Are we "getting a bit short on Legates lately" by any chance? Does your brother like LOTR, by the way? We could get him to come join with us if he does. ;)

Who listens, understands :p

Hmm... this has inspired me:

I see Amon Lanc
On the horizon
Set under a black cloud
That hides the sun.

Bring me my broadsword
And clear understanding.
Bring me my Silmaril*.... etc

*or Elessar

Legate of Amon Lanc 12-23-2008 08:28 AM

:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eönwë (Post 578551)
That's understandable. I probably would have done that too. Are we "getting a bit short on Legates lately" by any chance? Does your brother like LOTR, by the way? We could get him to come join with us if he does. ;)

Hm, but I actually don't think he would. He is not a big Tolkien fan. I don't think he would join to participate very much... Perhaps only on Paper Telephone or something.

mark12_30 12-23-2008 08:42 AM

When you need to kill time while waiting for an answer on "Why I can't print", and you come to the downs and post some comment regarding something about spaces and tengwar even though you really don't exactly know.

Morthoron 12-23-2008 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark12_30 (Post 578578)
When you need to kill time while waiting for an answer on "Why I can't print", and you come to the downs and post some comment regarding something about spaces and tengwar even though you really don't exactly know.

When on the Downs you reply to a post about commenting about not knowing spacing in Tengwar, and haven't even looked at the thread the other poster was referencing.

-OR-

Becoming irritated when no one has posted on the Downs for several hours. Someone post so I can comment, dog nabbit!

mark12_30 12-23-2008 09:10 AM

You could comment on my lovely tengwar guessanswer.

Eönwë 12-23-2008 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morthoron (Post 578582)
Becoming irritated when no one has posted on the Downs for several hours. Someone post so I can comment, dog nabbit!

This is one I have to agree with.

Lalwendë 12-23-2008 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morthoron (Post 578582)

That always happens to me on a Sunday and I sit there thinking "Gerrouttabed you lazy beggars!" because there's nowt happening :(

Mithalwen 12-28-2008 11:23 AM

Eats, shoots, and leaves....

When you see the shop name, "BOROS", and think "Where is the apostrophe?", thus combining an obsession with the Downs with the zero-tolerance approach to punctuation.

Eönwë 12-30-2008 03:39 PM

When you're worried that you ccan't think of anything to post in this thread.

satansaloser2005 12-30-2008 03:43 PM

The very fact that you DO post on this thread. Just sayin'. ;)

Gollum the Great 12-30-2008 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eönwë (Post 579221)
When you're worried that you ccan't think of anything to post in this thread.

That's something I've been thinking of for a while. Heartily seconded.

Lhunardawen 01-07-2009 07:53 AM

When you do a double take upon reading B88's sig: I should have gone with a Mac.

Thinlómien 01-07-2009 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lhunardawen (Post 580015)
When you do a double take upon reading B88's sig: I should have gone with a Mac.

Indeed - probably especially if you do a double take every single time you read it. :D

Lhunardawen 01-08-2009 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien (Post 580125)
Indeed - probably especially if you do a double take every single time you read it. :D

*raises hand sheepishly*

Rikae 01-20-2009 08:48 PM

Sign the Barrowdowns is addicted to me: I google a string of words completely unrelated to Tolkien (doing research for a paper on Spenser) and the first hit is a 'downs thread.

Stop following me! :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
*raises hand sheepishly*

*does likewise*

Legate of Amon Lanc 01-22-2009 06:33 AM

I have been just a bit startled by the fact that I was listening to a music album where one song was named Strider and another one Phantom. There is also a track called Cannon. Good that it isn't Canon...

Thinlómien 01-22-2009 04:12 PM

1) You skip lunch because you have to take the time to play ww from somewhere.

2) You suddenly find the very basic Franch phrase "il y a" (= "there is") very amusing after eight years of studying the language...

Groin Redbeard 01-23-2009 12:39 PM

I was watching a movie the other day called Ride with the Devil about the American Civil War. At first I though it was going to be a great movie, but it soon took a turn for the worst when the typical Hollywood political correctness started showing (hate it when that happens). Anyway, I was about to turn it off when a rebel with long hair and a feathered cap came into play and he looked EXACTLY like Volo! I couldn't stop watching it after that, thank you Volo for saving the movie!:D

Gwathagor 01-23-2009 01:37 PM

When you have to make a conscious effort to spell "today" correctly, and not with a capital "D" in the middle of the word.

Eönwë 02-09-2009 04:51 PM

When in physics you write "Volocity" instead of "velocity"

Legate of Amon Lanc 02-10-2009 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwathagor (Post 582615)
When you have to make a conscious effort to spell "today" correctly, and not with a capital "D" in the middle of the word.

Oh, but that is pretty... normal... erm...

:rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eönwë (Post 584937)
When in physics you write "Volocity" instead of "velocity"

:D :D Now that is realy bad...

Eönwë 03-03-2009 05:24 PM

When you think of ME stuff so much that you actually think "HoME" in your head rather than "History of Middle Earth".

But this only happened to me once... er...

Estelyn Telcontar 03-12-2009 09:56 AM

When the first thing you think upon reading an article in today's newspaper about a newly opened penguin museum in Germany is, "Oh, I must tell Lommy about this!"

Eönwë 03-12-2009 03:43 PM

When you remember this post and use it justify to yourself that "brutal" is the word you are looking for when writing an essay in history:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien (Post 575763)
I saw a juice bottle at the grocery store today. It said "apple, strawberry and lychee" and I read "apple, strawberry and lynchee" and thought: "How brutal!" :D:eek:;)

Eönwë 03-14-2009 02:12 PM

When you finally learn how to make an origami penguin, and it reminds you of the Barrow-Downs, so you have an urge to write "Lommy" on it.

Legate of Amon Lanc 03-15-2009 06:21 AM

When you say something to your brother, and he does not understand you, and after clarifying it, he says: "Ah! I thought you said 'Hookbill the Goomba'."

Aganzir 03-15-2009 10:58 AM

When you develop a habit of naming your clay sculptures after downers for silly reasons.

Thinlómien 03-15-2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aganzir (Post 588751)
When you develop a habit of naming your clay sculptures after downers for silly reasons.

"For incredibly silly reasons", you mean? :rolleyes:;)

TheGreatElvenWarrior 03-16-2009 07:35 PM

When I was eating a snack today (really a second lunch), I read a headline of the Anchorage Daily News that said "Hooked on Dogs", I thought it said at first, "Hooked on Goombas." I think this is saying something.

Legate of Amon Lanc 03-20-2009 05:53 AM

When you read "Elisabeth Báthory" as "Elisabeth Bethberry"... :rolleyes:

Eönwë 03-23-2009 04:36 PM

When you try to imagine what a BDs TV advert would be like.

Mnemosyne 03-23-2009 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eönwë (Post 590705)
When you try to imagine what a BDs TV advert would be like.

Ooh, could we actually do that?...

Or at least a documentary...

TheGreatElvenWarrior 03-25-2009 03:06 PM

You know that you're addicted to the Barrow-Downs when you're sitting in study hall, and you're supposed to get your maths done (even though instead of doing that, you're reading a book on Britain) and the computer stares at you in the face. You decide that now would be a good time to check to see if Paper Telephone has started yet. And you are still sitting at the computer...

Also, when you start using BD slang in your diary, and everyday life.:rolleyes:

TheGreatElvenWarrior 04-09-2009 03:47 PM

I was reading the ingredients list on a package to-day, and I managed to read one of the ingredients off as "Thinlomien".:o

Brinniel 04-10-2009 10:50 PM

When you're severely jealous of your dance teacher because she got to perform with a friend's dance company in Helsinki this past week...

Aganzir 04-11-2009 04:46 AM

Not sure this will help

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brinniel (Post 592693)
When you're severely jealous of your dance teacher because she got to perform with a friend's dance company in Helsinki this past week...

You know, that place is about two blocks from Lommy, Green & Nog's school... ;)