The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Bird and Baby renovation planned (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=16655)

Estelyn Telcontar 07-07-2010 03:02 PM

Bird and Baby renovation planned

As this article says, the "Eagle and Child", Tolkien's favourite pub, where the Inklings frequently met - and Downers still do occasionally - is due for renovation. Fortunately for those of us who plan to come to Oxonmoot in September, that won't begin until the end of the year, and perhaps we can hope that things will be done by next year's Oxonmoot.

Rumil 07-07-2010 04:11 PM

I hope they put the old pub sign back!

TheGreatElvenWarrior 07-07-2010 06:20 PM

The question is: is this good or bad news?
I do hope they don't change the place too much in their renovations. It really is lovely. The atmosphere is great.

Bęthberry 07-07-2010 08:10 PM

If they uncover some Tengwar initials during the renovations I shall be highly suspicious.

Mithalwen 07-08-2010 05:49 AM

I hope they don't tart it up to much but there aren't many Oxford pubs that have escaped being opened up and modernised... :(

Amanaduial the archer 07-29-2010 07:10 PM

Oh, sigh. That means there'll be building work right down my street all over the start of term...

LadyBrooke 07-29-2010 07:48 PM

Just noticed this today...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mithalwen (Post 633599)
I hope they don't tart it up to much but there aren't many Oxford pubs that have escaped being opened up and modernised... :(

If they modernize it, I'll have a fit. :mad: It's on my list of places I want to see in the UK. I'm unable to visit until I A.) Graduate college, get a job, and get the money to go; or B.) get into a college with a study abroad program with a chance to go to the UK. *Thuds head against desk.*

TheGreatElvenWarrior 07-29-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyBrooke (Post 635565)
If they modernize it, I'll have a fit. :mad: It's on my list of places I want to see in the UK. I'm unable to visit until I A.) Graduate college, get a job, and get the money to go; or B.) get into a college with a study abroad program with a chance to go to the UK. *Thuds head against desk.*

Find a friend, work a little, and find some time. That's what I did. Took two years, but I went to the Bird and Baby with a good friend of mine. It was awesome! :D I loved the atmosphere.

LadyBrooke 07-29-2010 09:51 PM

Still have to wait a while. I'm underage for another six months and in high school till next June and my mom's not going to let me go anywhere. She's already trying to convince me to go close to my home instead of the East Coast. :(

TheGreatElvenWarrior 07-29-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyBrooke (Post 635571)
Still have to wait a while. I'm underage for another six months and in high school till next June and my mom's not going to let me go anywhere. She's already trying to convince me to go close to my home instead of the East Coast. :(

That's too bad. :( We went with my mum. But I chat...

LadyBrooke 07-29-2010 10:34 PM

I doubt my mom would want to go. I'm pretty sure she's scared of flying over oceans. She doesn't want me going away for college because she's convinced that they will take advantage of my poor naive self. :rolleyes: Considering all of this started after I said I didn't agree with something the preacher said I think it's more like if you go away you'll no longer be under the influence of an area that hates almost all "liberal" beliefs.

Seriously I'm about this close to printing and highlighting essays showing how fantasy in general is not evil and posting it throughout the town. Oh well, two more weeks and I'll be back at school where at least some of my friends are fellow "liberals".:)

Bęthberry 07-30-2010 05:14 AM

Oxonmoot 2010--last chance for some of us to experience the Bird and Baby before renovations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amanaduial the archer (Post 635563)
Oh, sigh. That means there'll be building work right down my street all over the start of term...

Aman!!! When will you be arriving in Oxford? Or are you there now/full time? Do you have any interest in coming to Oxonmoot? At the least, let's meet somewhere--B&B, Mitre, Lamb & Flag, or your favourite pub. This would be fantastic! Look for a PM coming soon to an inbox near you . . .

Amanaduial the archer 07-30-2010 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bęthberry (Post 635588)
Aman!!! When will you be arriving in Oxford? Or are you there now/full time? Do you have any interest in coming to Oxonmoot? At the least, let's meet somewhere--B&B, Mitre, Lamb & Flag, or your favourite pub. This would be fantastic! Look for a PM coming soon to an inbox near you . . .

Oh, apologies, looks like a missed a question in my response - yes, from next week, when I move into my beautiful house, I'm in Oxford full time, as it were, at least until next June :)

Mithalwen 07-30-2010 10:41 AM

Aman! How lovely.. I had meant to ask you how your finals went but your post suggests a Masters (that you have to work for ;) ) or other post grad so congratulations!!!

narfforc 08-03-2010 06:41 AM

Oxonmoot 2010

This calls for a picture of the Downers in the snug, I vote for ESTY to organise, well done to her.

narfforc 09-04-2010 11:10 AM

When we have our picture taken in The Bird and Baby, we must get the full story of this Desecration.

narfforc 09-11-2010 05:10 AM

Less than two weeks away, for those attending.

The Squatter of Amon Rűdh 09-13-2010 07:12 AM

It always seems to come around so quickly. I'm looking forward to it as usual.

The Eagle and Child has already been remodelled and renovated a couple of times since Tolkien's day, so I'm sure it can survive another. In 1962 they extended to the rear and knocked the main bar through into the rabbit room, and I can't imagine them doing anything that drastic this time.

Rune Son of Bjarne 09-13-2010 12:46 PM

I have a hard time imagining them changing it too much, the location puts certain limitations to how much can be changed,

Of course it is nice for us geeks if they keep as it was, but I am sure we will continue coming there as long as they keep the name. Anyway, as a pub it is quite al right, but not anything spectacular.