The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   For Those Who Died Today... Happy Deathday! (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=11207)

Holbytlass 05-08-2005 08:28 AM

It's my two year death month anniversary. Although, it is a bit misleading. I actually died in the year 2001 but as Hobbitlass, I had almost reached my 500th post when I was 'resurrected'. This happened because my computer failed and I got lost from the forum and could not get my original password because I had new emails and accounts. So I died again as Holbytlass. I haven't posted much in this past year, been busy with my fourth baby. All those hungry hobbit mouths to feed!!

HerenIstarion 05-08-2005 01:08 PM

I suspected it were you :) Welcome back, this past two years, and Happy Deathday :D

wilwarin538 05-09-2005 04:22 PM

Happy Deathday to all who died today!

Mithalwen 05-23-2005 06:15 AM

It was my deathday on Saturday!!!! And I forgot.... :( So am a a year younger ..?

Orominuialwen 05-23-2005 04:39 PM

Happy (belated) Deathday to Me!

I'm nearly two weeks late with this, but happy deathday to myself. I died May 12th, 2003. I haven't posted all that much considering the amount of time I've been a member, but I can say that my posts have improved quite a bit in quality since the very beginning. :)

dancing spawn of ungoliant 06-15-2005 01:42 AM

I see dead people

On this day I've been six feet under for two years (and still alive and kicking?) !!
I'd like to quote a speech of one very famous hobbit we all know.

"First of all, I am immensely fond of you all, and two years is too short a time to live among such excellent and admirable sprites!"

...Or something along those lines... Cheers!

ps. this is my 600th post, go me! :p

wilwarin538 06-15-2005 02:34 PM

Wow we have the same Deathday!

Happy Deathday to me! Happy Deathday to me! Happy Deathday! Dear Shade of Carn Dum! Happy Deathday to me!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

It doesn't feel like its only been 1 year! Hopefully I will have many more days of Death to come.

~*Wilwa*~

Meneltarmacil 06-15-2005 02:50 PM

My "deathday", June 25th, is right around the corner, but I don't think I'll be able to be here for it since I'll be on a road trip from tomorrow until the end of June. However, on that day, I will have been a BDer for two whole years!!

Mithalwen 06-23-2005 01:44 PM

Birthday Mathoms

Well if this is post non-grata, it is a fair cop (but Feanor of the Peredhil is to blame.... of course ;) )......... and I thought it was better to use a related and little used topic and go off it a little than create a completely self obsessed thread!

Well more years than I am prepared to admit to have passed since the world first had the privilege of my company and various downers have been kind enough to wish me well which has been a comfort on this truly depressing day :p - one of them hoped for mathoms... so... encouraged by the fact that I am still and adolescent in elf years here goes..... there may be more later but I have to go and drown my sorrows in champagne very shortly but I think a little clearout will be liberating...

For Fordim Hedgethistle: A very battered Akubra hat and my collection of "orphan" gloves. I am sure he will find them useful as gauntlets should he take up duelling again.

For Fea a copy of "I will survive" to get her through a game of Werewolf. and my long neglected art materials......

For Esty and Mark10-30 and any other needlewomen.. various projects in different stages of incompletion - mainly tapestry and petit-point and too many completely pristine - but all so pretty

For Boromir88: A bottle of Pimm's (not a mathom this as such but ...), "Why men don't listen and women can't read maps" by Barbara and Alan Pease "How to watch cricket" by John Arlott.

FOr Heren Istarion, books in my "permanent collection", I do not regard as mathoms but if I had to hand them over to anyone, it would be HI. However for now I send him "3 men on the Bummel" so he can extend his knowledge of JK Jerome, and "the Diary of a Nobody" on the grounds that someone who likes Jerome will probably like Grossmith, and the "Lord Peter Wimsey " detective stories of Dorothy L Sayers... someone almost as erudite as HI himself... Oh and just maybe he would like my Michelin Guide Bleu of Paris - I am sure an extensive tour of the Louvre will be top priority ...

Saucepanman gets a pottle of "Old Thumper" and Daumier's " Les gens de Justice"

The Phantom gets a black rider mask (spares are always handy)...

Lalwende gets something from my hat collection, some cuttings and a passport application form .....

For Eomer of the Rohirrim..... Hmm what can you give the man who has everything;) -about the only thing I don 't have cluttering up the house is a Warg ... :d oh I know - my copy of "Watership Down"

Mithalwen 06-24-2005 06:16 AM

Post Script

an interim thank you to all those who have sent me such kind birthday messages.
My real life post yesterday consisted of a letter from the Inland Revenue (somehow they rarely neglect to send me something on my birthday ..bless them.. ) and a card from my sister which had (and this is true honest ) " S*D off " on the front. One of my closest friends gave me scented wardrobe sachets .. so it is hardly surprising I was not in the best humour (at least until the second glass;) ) so truly you all made my day..... and fully justified the amount of time I spend on the site!!!

If all that sounds too sad.. I would add that I was taken out for a marvellous evening of Shakespeare and Strawberries on Tuesday and there will be more festivities over the Weekend ... :D

Evisse the Blue 06-24-2005 07:11 AM

Happy deathday to me! :D

2 years ago today I was hesitantly registering to post in a thread, after having lurked for a while in this fine place, and being too intimidated to match my wits with any of you. :p

What can I say, it's been a joy and a challenge to haunt these barrows with y'all. Here's to many more years to come *lifts pint*

Encaitare 06-24-2005 02:26 PM

Gasp! I missed Mith's birthday? Well, happy belated. :)

Evisse... you've got a month to go. Your join date is July 24. Cheers in advance, though. :D

Evisse the Blue 06-24-2005 03:46 PM

Oh. lol. How dumb do I feel now? :o
Thanks for pointing it out, Enca. :D
I swear I don't know what's up with me recently. Must be the combination of playing Tol-in Gaurhoth and studying for exams.

Encaitare 07-15-2005 06:57 PM

Today is my very first deathday! Hurrah!

dancing spawn of ungoliant 07-16-2005 03:32 AM

Quote:

What! :eek: Your first? It feels like you'd have been around much longer (that being a good thing). Happy deathday, Encaitare and many more!! :)

THE Ka 07-16-2005 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Encaitare

Really? How do you measure that, because I keep thinking you've been here at least a year and a half... Or at least longer than I can remember... My memory is failing me, I'm getting too old.

Anyways, happy deathday to you! :)

~ Memories Ka

Hey! It's July! But, i've quite forgotten the exact date I joined in July... Oh well. I'll have to check later, because i'm tired and old and that's what Ka does.

dancing spawn of ungoliant 07-16-2005 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE Ka
Hey! It's July! But, i've quite forgotten the exact date I joined in July... Oh well. I'll have to check later, because i'm tired and old and that's what Ka does.

Ka, you joined 07-19-2003. You see that by clicking your name and selecting "view public profile".

wilwarin538 07-16-2005 07:23 AM

Wow, Enca I've been here longer then you and yet you have more then three times as many posts and alot more reps then me. How do you do it???? :eek: You are like my new hero.

the guy who be short 07-16-2005 08:43 AM

I found the fanclub, Enca! :D

See, you didn't scare them all away.

My Deathday is in January... sigh. So far away. And cold.

Feanor of the Peredhil 07-16-2005 09:39 AM

Hm... I missed my own death day. But Soph remembered it. Happy Deathday to all, and to all a good night. Or something along those lines.

THE Ka 07-16-2005 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancing spawn of ungoliant
Ka, you joined 07-19-2003. You see that by clicking your name and selecting "view public profile".

I know now, because I checked it today. I couldn't last night because it was 3:00 a.m. and I had spent four hours in Barnes & Noble waiting with my friend for the release of the new Harry Potter book. It's what friends do for each other. Or at least, what I end up doing...

Hey! One of my friends leaves for Peru on the same date of my second deathday... Weird... :confused:

~ Now awake Ka

Encaitare 07-16-2005 07:48 PM

Aw, thanks, guys. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilwa
Wow, Enca I've been here longer then you and yet you have more then three times as many posts and alot more reps then me. :eek: How do you do it???? You are like my new hero.

I have no idea, quite honestly...

Lhunardawen 07-17-2005 05:41 AM

Gee, Enca, I almost feel as if we joined around the same time! Belated happy deathday. :)

Kath 07-17-2005 06:10 AM

Quote:

My Deathday is in January... sigh. So far away. And cold.
Well then happy undeathday TGWBS!

arcticstorm 08-24-2005 04:41 PM

In a couple hours I will officially be one year dead on the downs!

happy deathday to me as well as to everyone else who died on the 24th of August

Glirdan 08-24-2005 09:45 PM

Happy deathday arcticstorm and any others whose deathday is today (or any that I will miss due to my insanity :rolleyes: ). Unfourtunately, my deathday isn't until Feburary, just after exams!!! :eek: :( I can't wait either, even though it's so far away (and the start of second semester pretty much!).

Meela 09-08-2005 12:12 PM

Four years this August and still going strong... *proudly flies the standard of global Denethor worship*

wilwarin538 09-08-2005 01:46 PM

Happy Deathday to all! :D :smokin: ;)

Mister Underhill 09-08-2005 02:41 PM

I just realized that I made my first post on the Downs on 5 September '00. That means I've been skulking amongst these mounds for five years Monday. Hard to believe!

It also means that HI's deathday can't be far behind, as we were "unborn" within a few days of each other, IIRC.

Glirdan 09-08-2005 03:57 PM

Well happy deathday to you Mister Underhill. Happy belated deathday to Meela and happy early deathday to HI.

Mithadan 09-08-2005 04:20 PM

Congrats, Underhillo! Your post made me curious and I went searching for my first post. I could not find anything earlier than about October, 2000, though I know I was posting before then. I recall my first post, which I think opened a new thread, and who replied (nastily). I think it may have been swept away in a Barrow-cleaning. If I recall, I first posted a day after I joined...

Meneltarmacil 09-08-2005 04:27 PM

According to your profile, Mithadan, your join date was 7-12-2000. So happy (belated) 5th deathday!

Mister Underhill 09-08-2005 04:40 PM

Thank you for the Happy D-Day wishes, all.

Mith -- nice to have some direct conversation with you for the first time in quite a while! Fortunately my own welcome was much more gentle, thanks to the likes of you.

The join dates for older members aren't necessarily accurate -- I can't remember if they reflect the first post found in the database from the migration, or if they just take the stored "join date" from an earlier version of the forum. I know when we migrated from EZBoard to UBB, it was based on post date, but I'm not sure how UBB to vBulletin went.

As you surmise, Mith, your earliest post was likely either swept up in barrow cleaning or irretrievably lost during one of the many Great Corruptions of our UBB days.

VanimaEdhel 09-08-2005 04:42 PM

I wish I knew when I joined (sometime in 2001 I believe). Where does it give an exact date? I only see month, year here.

And happy deathday, Mr. Underhill! Mine was more belated than the rest, but it got here eventually...

Mister Underhill 09-08-2005 05:54 PM

Thank you, VE. The exact date is in your public profile.

Encaitare 09-08-2005 06:17 PM

Happy deathdays, all!

HerenIstarion 09-24-2005 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HerenIstarion
Once, long ago, before apes came down to the plains to become humans, and the most progressive and expensive videocard had 32MB of memory, your humble servant joined the Barrow-Downs. The day of my death was a happy day, and I would share the joy with you, beloved and esteemed co-Downers

This still holds true, and even more so - another year gone, and I have semi-round figure to celebrate now, tenth of a jubilee - 5 years!

It is a cliche I'm going to address you with, but truth is not worn for repeating, as truly I'm going to tell you that I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve :D (Yes, it is a compliment, though I haven't participated in related thread to state it)

And of course, shuffling the quote a bit, to tell you that I am immensely fond of you all, and that five years is too short a time to be dead among such excellent and admirable ghosties and ghoulies and wee student beasties, as you are ;)

What else? Speeches should be short and to the point, so that's it, nice and short: Happy Deathday to Me

Almost forgot: hope to be around and to see you around in forty five years, when I have proper jubilee to celebrate :D

wilwarin538 09-24-2005 08:02 AM

Happy Deathday HI! 5 years is definetely a long time. ;)

Happy Deathday to whoever else died today! :D

Kath 09-24-2005 10:51 AM

Happy deathday HI. 5 years, wow. Hope to see you in another 5!

Glirdan 09-24-2005 11:59 AM

Happy deathdy HI!!! 5 years. Wow!!! That's long!!!! My first deathday is only a few months away now..... Well, to be more precise, 5 months, but hey!! Who's counting!!! Again, Happy Deathday HI and all those who died today and any other day that I've missed.