The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Movies (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Best Costume (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=9007)

ava.luthien 11-30-2002 03:33 AM

Best Costume

Which character do you think has the coolest costume?

Eruwen 11-30-2002 10:46 AM

Easy. Galadriel. She has the coolest costume ever. Well, actually, watching the Behind the Scenes stuff on my DVD, Aragorn has a pretty cool costume too. His was actually one of the hardest to make. Let me explain:<P>It said that there was so much work put into his costume to make him have the Ranger look, but still have something kingly about him. For instance, his sleeves are patched together in this certain way so that, being a ranger, if he wanted to, he could just easily untie the strings and have a sleeveless shirt. And his sleeves also include some Elven-like designs showing there is more to him than just a mhere ranger. <P>But I still like Galadriel's costume.

-Imrahil- 11-30-2002 10:50 AM

I like the Nazghul's. From what I heard on the DVD it took quite an effort to make, and the cloaks are really multiple layers sewn together to create that great look.

the mortal elf 11-30-2002 01:19 PM

Here's a tidbit of info: Each Nazgul's robe had 50 yards of fabric. <P>I think everybody's costumes were phenomenal, but I liked Gandalf's best. It's exactly like I pictured him.

Galadriel9 11-30-2002 01:22 PM

I have to agree that Galadriel's costume is definately the coolest, but I also think that Gandalf's hat is great! Maybe Galadriel's dress/cloak type thing, Gandalf's hat and Frodo's feet, huh?

captainlimited 11-30-2002 02:54 PM

I quite enjoy <B>Arwen</B>'s outfit. I think it's one of the best.

Beruthiel 11-30-2002 03:05 PM

All the elven costumes were pretty good, they have to be my fave. The Nazgul were pretty scary as well, I can't believe they had 50 yards of fabric on them, imagine riding a horse wth all that on!

TealDude3 11-30-2002 03:14 PM

The Nazgul's costumes are cool. Aragorn's costume is cool. There all cool. But I think the coolest costume was acctually Borimir's. There's just something about 'Stwerart of Gondor' attire that looks cool.

Durelin 11-30-2002 03:18 PM

Oh come on! Who's the greatest? All: SAURON! That armour he wears is sooo amazing! They really did a good job designing the kind of armour a evil, extremely powerful lord would wear. I wish they could have done more with the full bodied Sauron instead of just his dang eye, although that was cool too. Best costume definetly goes to Sauron!

Helkasir 11-30-2002 04:11 PM

...hm. A tough choice. I like nearly all the costumes. All of them looked exactly as I had imagined them. I think my favorite was Aragorn's, Followed by Frodo's. Actually, unlike some, I didn't like Galadriel's costume. I like the picture of her that we have on the Barrow downs now, you know, the one with Frodo and Sam in the back? That's a bit how I envisioned her.

Lady_Báin 12-09-2002 09:57 AM

kay....<BR>1. boromir<BR>2. gimli<BR>3. nazgűl <BR>4. elven costumes (including arwen, galadriel, celeborn, elrond, legolas, haldir, and extras)<BR>5. sauron<BR>6. gandalf<BR>7. saruman<BR>8. eowyn<BR>9. meriadoc and samwise (i love his yellow coat)<BR>10. bilbo<BR>11. general hobbits<BR>12. aragorn<P>heehee i guess yoou weren't asking for a list oops

TolkienGurl 12-09-2002 11:23 AM

I love Galadriel's outfit. It seems to float around her- so elvish!<P>My mom is in love with Aragorn so of course she says his outfit is the best. And I have to agree!

Aylwen Dreamsong 12-09-2002 04:00 PM

Can you actually count the make-up/prosthetics that Gimli/John Rhys-Davies had to wear? If so, I think he had a very elaborate costume.<P>But my favorite costume was easily Galadriel's. Mostly because it was pretty

-Imrahil- 12-10-2002 04:44 PM

Nazghul costume of course! Followed by Aragorn's which was pretty darn good. Boromir's too! They were all sooo good. Also from the trailers of TTT Theoden's costume looks neat, kind of similar to Boromir's.

Pookabunny 12-10-2002 08:17 PM

Arwen's outfit at the ford was one of my favorites, but the COOLEST costumes in the film is the RINGWRAITHS!<P>I've come to appreciate the complexity of their costumes because I'm making one for the premier NEXT WEEK! The hand and foot armor is incredible, they had the most distinct swords in the movie and those robes were absolutely amazing. WOW 20 yards of fabric? Damn I have a LOT of work ahead of me.....

Cibbwin 04-13-2003 01:02 PM

I really liked Boromir's costume. It showed his nobility, but was wearable to battle.<P>Gimli's was great, as well, completely how I envisioned it. I want his helmet!<P>I also like Eowyn's costumes, they fit her beautifually. /swoon Eowyn<P>Edit: Arwen's Flight to the Ford costume was great, as well! Again, elegant, yet wearable, like Eowyn's.<p>[ April 13, 2003: Message edited by: Cibbwin ]

Meela 04-13-2003 01:13 PM

The outfit Faramir wore at Henneth Annun: the loose waistcoat thing and shirt and trousers. Oh so casual and extremely irresistable.<P>Also the proper outfit he wears, with the tree on the front.<P>Aragorn's outfits are great, especially the rotk ones.<P>Legolas, in Lothlorien: the silver get-up. One word: wowwwwwwwwwwwwww.<P>Anything of Arwen's. I have a picture of her in this one really amazing dress (its not in the movies, unless its cut material or rotk). Its pink, with some kinda pattern on it, and its like the dress she wore when Aragorn broke up with her in TTT: with the kind of collar and all. Its sooo gorgeous.<P>Oh, and I ADORE Theoden's outfit. Suits him perfectly.<P>And i love Gandalf's clothes as Gandalf the White. He looks so sophisticated.<P>And Eowyn's outfits are great, of course. More so because they're simple enough for us ordinary folk to make ourselves.

Aladriel Celebrian 04-14-2003 06:04 PM

Legolas' "siver get up" was just what was under his brown tunic thingy.I think. well i'm pretty sure

Beruthiel 04-14-2003 08:56 PM

Now that I've seen TTT, I have to say that Eowyn's costume is the best. I want that green dress!!

Arafangwen 04-14-2003 10:38 PM

I think that all of Legolas' costumes were great! The way they made him look lighter than air is awesome! But I agree with almost everyone, Galadriels costume is beautiful. The way it just flows perfectly in every situation, all the elves costumes are like that, so I guess all the elves costumes in general then.

Burzdol 04-15-2003 06:39 PM

I think that Faramir's costume was the best. I loved the White Tree on the front of his brestplate.<P>I also like the Nazgul. The looked so much like I pictured them.<P>~Burzdol~

The Saucepan Man 04-15-2003 07:26 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I think that Faramir's costume was the best. I loved the White Tree on the front of his brestplate. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hehe. He's currently staring down at me (or, more accurately, over my shoulder) from my TTT calendar. I too was struck by how well the White Tree was done when I first saw that picture.<P>Having seen the documentary on the FotR Extended Version DVD, I find the amount of work and thought that went into all of the costumes amazing. The Costume Designer (sorry, can't remember her name) and her team really did a fantastic job.

Frodo Brandybuck 04-19-2003 02:26 PM

Lurtz hands down! Poor Lawrence Makoare was up all night so they good get him in that suit! I think that has to be one of the coolest costumes I have EVER seen.

Liriodendron 04-19-2003 06:13 PM

Boromir! His costume catches my eye in every scene. I collect vintage clothes/fabrics. The shade of purple in his outfit is that same wonderful brassy, faded, yellow/purple shade that certain vintage satins and velvets get with several decades of age. I love it! It gives him a timely air of authenticity that I would never have imagined anyone going to the trouble to create. His chainmail, leathers, and fur cape, plus the velvets are quite regal, yet very manly (humanly! ) in their sheer weight. LOVE IT! <p>[ April 19, 2003: Message edited by: Liriodendron ]

Frodo 007 04-22-2003 05:20 AM

I think Arwen's costumes are the best!They are so beautiful, i wish i could wear them! Oh, to be an Elf!

Orofaniel 05-19-2003 02:06 PM

I think Galadriel had the best costume. Her costume was really beautiful. <P>Then I liked the Nazguls. I don't know why, maybe it was because they were so similar to the book?

Retloc the Red 06-06-2003 10:43 PM

Personally, I liked the Wizards costumes.<P>Gandalf the Grey's costume was excellent. It was perfect for the amount of traveling that he did. sort of like the long coats worn by the cowboys in the Western films. I believe they were called dusters. And I found it brilliant how they made the robe look as if there were no slit in it at all with those enormous pants.<P>Gandalf the White is a different story. The robe looked very sopisticated and grand, a robe to rival even Saruman's. It was much cleaner than they Grey and did not interfere with his horseback riding. I did not however like the boots.<P>Saruman's costume was just the way I imagined it to be. Royal, grand, all together magnificent. I felt that the robe showed his supreme wisdom (soon to become his supreme foolishness) and his authority in the council.<P>I apoligize for being so long winded. I really am not that good at the whole forum thing. Once I start I just keep going. I think I will be silent for a while now...

Morquesse 06-07-2003 12:53 AM

Welcome to the club, Retloc the Red! Don't worry, you'll get the hang of posting soon. And your post is NOT long, you should see posts in the Books Forum!<P>Anyway, costumes:<P>I really like Boromir's. Like some of you have said, it diffenetly shows his dignity.<P>Galaddriel's looks other-worldy and beautiful! Wouldn't you LOVE to have something like that for your wedding dress? Ehr, maybe not.<P>Before it came out, there were two things that I especially wanted in FotR: for Butterbur to have a beard, and for Elrond to be in robes. I sooo was happy! And you gotta love his robes, especially the ones he wore at the Council. <P>And of course, you gotta love Arwen's. I can't decide which! I like the one where she and Aragorn are on the bridge, and I like the one she's in when Frodo first sees her. The one I didn't like however, was the one where she was in Aragorn's dream before his horse woke him up. That one looked too skimpy and Greek style for me (not that I dislike the Greek culture, I just thought it strange to see something Greek in an Old England-based story).<P>Anyway, those are my favorites. See you later!<BR>~M<p>[ June 07, 2003: Message edited by: Morquesse ]

Ophelia 06-07-2003 08:12 AM

Cave trolls definetly . An axcelent example of high fashion

Meela 06-07-2003 01:34 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Galadriel's looks other-worldy and beautiful! Wouldn't you LOVE to have something like that for your wedding dress? Ehr, maybe not. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Come to think of it, yes!! That would be a perfect wedding dress. Though I doubt my future husband would take too kindly to being forced into a Celeborn costume.

The Only Real Estel 06-07-2003 02:22 PM

It is not so much Gandalf's costume that makes him look like you ( or at least I ) imagined him. But rather the actor that played him, the voice of Ian McKellen, & beard & hair that completes my visual picture of him...

mordor136 06-08-2003 02:07 AM

Sauron blew me away! Here's a tidbit for those of you who havent seen the FOTR sp.edition dvd! Sauron's helm (designed by alan lee) was made to look like a rotting horse face! Also an ivory motif was acid etched over the whole thing! <p>[ June 08, 2003: Message edited by: mordor136 ]

mordor136 06-08-2003 02:22 AM

sorry the picture above was sauron<p>[ June 08, 2003: Message edited by: mordor136 ]

EvennStarr8 06-08-2003 11:59 AM

I loved them all but I personally loved how they did Gollum. They did it soo well.Even though he only wore a loin cloth it was very cool to actually see him.

mordor136 06-08-2003 03:05 PM

Here's an interesting fact:<P>the ringwraith's costume is made of fabric layers of different weights. The effect? Some layers blow in the wind while others remain still . the

Tarien Ithil 06-13-2003 12:20 PM

Just a pointless fact......:<P>Did you know that the Nazgul each wore over 50 meters of fabric??

Angadraug 06-13-2003 01:31 PM

I think Aragorn had the best looking costume because it seemed so realisitic. It was dirty, torn, and peiced together. Probably smelled too. Also his armour at Helm's Deep was awesome.

mollecon 06-13-2003 01:57 PM

I think all the costumes were great - a part of the incredible amount of working with the details that makes these movies so great. As I've stated before, one of the things that makes these movies work so well for me is the depiction of the Middle Earth 'universe - from the finest details to the overall scenery.<P>If we talk about characters that are hit mostly 'on the spot' compared to one's own envisioning of them, I think Gandalf takes the cake, closely followed by the Hobbits - for me at least.

merenwen 06-13-2003 05:27 PM

i liked the elves costumes. they were so beautiful. for some reason i didn't exactly like sauron's. it just struck me as a power ranger villain...or maybe that was the green goblin's on spider man

Lyta_Underhill 06-13-2003 11:32 PM

Forgive me for this one: Frodo in the Tower of Cirith Ungol! (heh heh!) Simplest costume ever! <P>But seriously now, I must say that I agree with all those who picked Boromir, but I'm not sure it is the costume I'm staring at! I also LOVED the way the entire marking of the Uruk-Hai went. The impressing of the white hand on the face really bespoke a primitive, warrior marking. It gave more meaning to the Uruk-Hai than I had ever previously assigned to them. It sets them apart from the mere orcs, as well it should. And Lurtz is quite impressive, as well he would have to be to take down someone as imposing as Boromir! I wouldn't have a lesser orc on that job!<P>I also quite love Galadriel's dress, so sheer, yet not revealing, almost as if she herself was sheer beneath it, otherworldly. I read some time ago in a popular gossip magazine that Liv Tyler had said that none of the Elves wore underwear...hmmmm...part of the effect?<P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta<p>[ June 14, 2003: Message edited by: Lyta_Underhill ]