The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Elvenhome (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   The Veil Lifted Discussion Thread (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=13351)

piosenniel 10-27-2006 09:29 PM

The Veil Lifted Discussion Thread

Welcome All!

From Bęthberry’s opening post to this autumn season’s game:

Quote:

The Veil Lifted awaits gamers who want to savour the treats (and a few tricks) in the challenge of imagining Tolkien’s Middle-earth in the 7th Age. It is middish in the 7th Age and our story takes place in New Ford.

Like The Yule Log , this is an informal game for all who care to join—a Hallowe’en Handout for us Downers.

Your moderators are piosenniel and Child of the 7th Age. Watch for an appearance by littlemanpoet as well.
--------------------

Since this is an open game, no formal character bios are needed for play.

Let the opening post spark your imaginations and come as a 7th Age (present age) character and enjoy a night of trick-or-treating, pranks, and the possible appearance of those long ago characters of Middle-earth who began to fade as the Age of Men began.

Consider the Discussion Thread now open for questions, rants, plottings, etc. :)

Have fun!

piosenniel 10-27-2006 09:29 PM

Reminders for an RPG in play:
  • Please remove your signature from EVERY post to the RPG thread - including SAVES

• Don't use smileys in your RPG posts or icons - e.g., http://forum.barrowdowns.com/ubb/icons/icon8.gif http://www.forum.barrowdowns.com/ima...WhiteTree3.gif http://forum.barrowdowns.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif etc.

• Don't use the 'Reason for Editing' function on your RPG posts. If it's critical that other players know that you've changed something, then put a post on the Discussion Thread about your edit.

• No OOC (out of character comments) on the RPG thread - use the Discussion Thread.

• SAVES should be filled within 24 hours/48 at the latest and may be removed from the game at the discretion of the moderator.

• Swearing, sexual conduct, or obscenity of any kind are absolutely prohibited. There are no exceptions.

Quote:

. . . I always ask myself if any of these words or euphemisms for cursing would be found in Tolkien's works. So I always say no to cursing and to any 'pseudo-cursing'. They need to keep it clean. -- per The Barrow-Wight

Naria 10-28-2006 02:44 AM

This sounds absolutely delightful!! Since we don't need character bios, does this mean we just think of a name for our character and go full steam ahead? Ooooo, I can't wait to throw some rotten eggies :D

Glirdan 10-28-2006 07:21 AM

This should be quite interesting! I loved the Unforbidden RPG of last year so this should be quite fun as well!

Bęthberry 10-28-2006 07:36 AM

It's an informal game, which means you can simply go right ahead and post in character--knowing in your head who your character is and how you expect him or her to develope and act. Characters and posts must still follow the gaming guidelines which pio has posted here and which are explained more fully in The Golden Hall and the Redbook, in the Shire.

As with The Yule Log, this isn't "my" game and, in fact, because of RL committments, I likely won't be able to post much myself. It belongs to the gamers who write and post here. You can work out the details of plotting here on the discussion thread.

Make it a grand scary, light-hearted, fun game!

Bęthberrrry ;)

Glirdan 10-28-2006 09:13 AM

Okay, posted. Hope you don't mind Noinkling but I couldn't help it!! You presented the perfect opportunity for me! :D

Kath 10-28-2006 03:32 PM

The Hobbits have a couple of shadows. :)

Folwren 10-28-2006 05:23 PM

It looks fun, but I've never been trick-or-treating before and wouldn't know how to behave...

-- Foley

Forest Elf 10-28-2006 05:43 PM

This should be fun, I've already got my post up.

Celuien 10-28-2006 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Folwren
I've never been trick-or-treating before

Same here.

Actually, that gives me an idea... ;)

Folwren 10-28-2006 06:48 PM

Oh wow! Two people have told me that now! I thought my faminly was the only family who didn't ever do that...*chuckle*

Well, I've been pretty much talked into joining through PM. You can blame Kath if I decide to add some character(s).

-- Folwren

Celuien 10-28-2006 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Folwren
Oh wow! Two people have told me that now! I thought my faminly was the only family who didn't ever do that...*chuckle*

:D That's what I thought about my family.

Because I'll never miss a chance to share kitty pictures, here's the inspiration for Midnight. That's my sister's cat. I would never make my kitty wear a sweater. :p

Firefoot 10-28-2006 08:25 PM

I hope you don't mind that my characters are planning on making some trouble for Becca, Celuien... I promise Midnight won't get hurt... :eek:

Celuien 10-28-2006 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefoot
I hope you don't mind that my characters are planning on making some trouble for Becca, Celuien... I promise Midnight won't get hurt...

Trouble is fine. :)

And Midnight better not get hurt. :mad:

littlemanpoet 10-28-2006 09:27 PM

Hiya Forest Elf, have you got someone in mind as your first victim? What about a sixteen year old Aragorn wannabe? Or not?

Celuien 10-28-2006 10:05 PM

A quick word on scenery...

Becca lives in an end rowhouse. There are three steps up to the front door from street level, though the house is set back from the main sidewalk by a small front garden. The garden wraps around the three open sides of the house (right wall shared with the neighbor). The garden is largest in the back and the side garden ends on a small alleyway. The house is red brick with a black door like this one, only with a brass knob, letter slot, and lock, and the other difference being that the door is black. There's a black iron railing on the steps. All of which works with what Firefoot has written, since I'm sure that garden includes a lawn. :D

Cel is feeling detail oriented. And very visual. :rolleyes:

Firefoot 10-29-2006 06:21 AM

Quote:

Cel is feeling detail oriented. And very visual.
That's good. I hate having to ask people about things like that... :D

Dimturiel 10-29-2006 08:26 AM

Well, well, this looks intersting. I think I'm going to give it a try.

Child of the 7th Age 10-29-2006 09:11 AM

Ok, post up.

I am assuming that the 7th Age would include the present world of Tolkien scholarship as well as the Barrowdowns. I have more ideas in this direction later. :D

Firefoot 10-29-2006 11:03 AM

Love it, Child. :D (Unfortunately, I have to spread some more rep around, though...)

Undómë 10-29-2006 11:46 AM

Dimturiel

A quick couple of questions, if you would:

How old is your character and what does she look like, briefly.

Child of the 7th Age 10-29-2006 01:39 PM

Dimturiel -

Your character seems to be attracting a lot of interest! :D

I received your pm and will try to put up a post approaching her late tonight or tomorrow morning.

Aylwen Dreamsong 10-29-2006 02:57 PM

Well...

Someone has found Midnight.

;)

Celuien 10-29-2006 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aylwen Dreamsong
Well...

Someone has found Midnight.

;)

Good. ;)

Would it help if kitty had a collar?

littlemanpoet 10-29-2006 06:57 PM

I wonder if cats like fake Rangers who aren't really Aragorn? :p

Celuien 10-29-2006 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
I wonder if cats like fake Rangers who aren't really Aragorn?

Cats are always friendly creatures, if they're treated nicely. :p :D

Feanor of the Peredhil 10-29-2006 07:30 PM

*kicks self for getting involved...*

But Tish just wanted to be written. How could I say no, when she demanded so impolitely with that secretly pleading look in her eyes?

I'll do a quick character sketch for you guys in case you want to use her before I get around to writing more:

She's in her mid-twenties, and used to be a very cute blonde. Now she's got short black hair, wears a lot of silver jewelry, and spends her nights with lit candles and poetry anthologies. Her house is very small, of unknown age and color, with an infrequently mown front lawn (her elderly, bored, neighbor does it for her without invitation). When she's not at work (editor of a local newspaper that prints, she's frequently heard to say, nothing of interest or importance), she eats Indian food and plays piano. She doesn't own any forks, dislikes everything (not really), and wishes she had the sort of temperament to give long, bitter tirades.

Her reason for hating Halloween is that her parents never let her go trick-or-treating as a kid.

Folwren 10-29-2006 08:06 PM

Alright, I've given in. I introduce my two character, Ellen and Josh, brother and sister. Ellen's probably about 16 and Josh 7.

Fea, I've picked on your Tish character. Answer when you've a chance, it's half a blessing that you won't be answering too quick, as you implied above, because I'm quite business enough without this game.

Elempi, I have to say...your character is hilarious!

-- Folwren

Feanor of the Peredhil 10-29-2006 11:57 PM

So you caught me taking a quick break before bed/Macbeth.

No worries on rushing any response. I'm in no hurry.

Dimturiel 10-30-2006 12:21 PM

Well, for all those intrested in my character, here are a couple of things to help you. She is somewhere in her twenties. She is tallish with long black hair and green eyes. I hope this helps. :)

Celuien 10-30-2006 12:48 PM

Becca...

If anyone is wondering what Becca looks like, she has dark brown hair that falls between her shoulder blades, brown eyes, and (since it's autumn) is fairly pale. Middle height, slender. Likes to wear flowing, ankle-length skirts, sweaters and boots. She's somewhere in her late twenties. Profession: harpist in the city's opera orchestra. Also teaches harp at a music school.

I'll pick up the search for Midnight again later today.

Durelin 10-30-2006 02:38 PM

As far as I could tell there wasn't any rule regarding animals, but if my post is not satisfactory, I will be happy to delete it.

Child of the 7th Age 10-30-2006 02:50 PM

Durelin -- Animals are most welcome....especially such a clever one.
Aiwendil also has a sentient owl named Hedwig.

Dimturiel -

I await your response with anticipation. Let me know if anything needs editing.

Firefoot 10-30-2006 02:53 PM

Since it seems to be the fad...

Raven is about seven years old, has long, straight black hair, and large dark eyes. Tucker is about five, your typical skinny little boy with wavy brown hair and features similar to his sister's - no doubt about these two being siblings.

Durelin 10-30-2006 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Child
Durelin -- Animals are most welcome....especially such a clever one.
Aiwendil also has a sentient owl named Hedwig.

Ah, lovely! Sorry, I hadn't had the chance to but skim all of the posts (so why did I post, you ask? Because I'm just that silly) yet. Perhaps fittingly, I find imagining a sentient owl much easier than imagining a sentient crow...and yours is definitely convincing. :D

Undómë 10-30-2006 03:35 PM

With a nod to Mssrs. Will and Percy Bysse for the use of their works. :)

Romeo and Juliet for the first and Queen Mab: A philosophical Poem for PB.

Child

I think Jack might see your character at the library. ;)

Child of the 7th Age 10-30-2006 03:46 PM

With a tip of the hat to Jack in anticipation of our meeting....

Celuien 10-30-2006 05:03 PM

Elempi: The fake Ranger who isn't Aragorn appeared in my last post. Please throw herrings at me if I need to change anything.

littlemanpoet 10-30-2006 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celuien
Elempi: The fake Ranger who isn't Aragorn appeared in my last post. Please throw herrings at me if I need to change anything.

As a matter of fact, it seems Sid's 12 instead of 16, and his sword is cardboard instead of hammered metal. Know what? That just might work anyway, so leave be. :) I'm rather pressed for time tonight so I'm going to have to remain a sidekick. Put whatever words in Sid's mouth that you like, and have him do whatever you like. He probably does, however, want to know the name of the damsel in distress that he has now sworn to save, both cat and owner. ;)

Celuien 10-30-2006 08:26 PM

Posted edited to give Becca's name. Kitty will be introduced shortly. ;)