The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   1 Question (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=13578)

ninja91 01-19-2007 01:49 PM

1 Question

If J.R.R. Tolkien were still alive today, and you had the chance to ask him one question about The Lord of the Rings, or anything else, for that matter, what would you ask him?

Durelin 01-19-2007 02:07 PM

Do Balrogs have wings? :p

*cue groans...

Lalwendë 01-19-2007 02:09 PM

I'd ask him to sign me a huge pile of his books. ;)

Mithalwen 01-19-2007 02:22 PM

I'd ask what Elladan and Elrohir decided when the time for their deferred decision finally came ..and why were they allowed to defer that decision...and hopefully that would get the Prof sufficiently in to his stride for me to find out the million and one other questions I have :D

Folwren 01-19-2007 02:53 PM

I'd ask him if Frodo died in the Undying Lands and if Sam got to see him again over there.

Can I post again with the One Question of my siblings?

Liriodendron 01-19-2007 04:37 PM

Probably the first question I ever asked on a Tolkien message board......"Who is older, Treebeard or Tom Bombadil?" never got a good answer.... :D

shieldmaiden4xsword 01-19-2007 05:32 PM

i'd ask him what happened when the world ended.

alatar 01-19-2007 06:19 PM

Before someone snatches up this one, I would ask, "Who and what, sir, is Tom Bombadil?"

Morai 01-19-2007 06:46 PM

Random Titles in awe.....

I'd probably be too awestruck to ask him anything. :o

Bęthberry 01-19-2007 06:46 PM

I'd ask how he felt about Tom Bombadil not being in the movie. ;)

Okay, seriously now, I'd ask Tolkien how well he thought CT captured the ideas of his Legendarium in The Silm which CT published--if the changes suit his intention or if he would revise them.

alatar 01-19-2007 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bęthberry
I'd ask how he felt about Tom Bombadil not being in the movie. ;)

He's not in the movie?!? :eek: Not even in the 25th Anniversary Platinum Ultra-Extended Edition with Blooper Reel?

If it's to be the movies, I'd ask why Denethor had such a penchant for tomatoes... ;)

But really, how about: Which characters looked like you had envisioned them?

shieldmaiden4xsword 01-19-2007 10:17 PM

that's a very very good question.

and, do Elves really have pointy ears? I don't see it mentioned anywhere. Or is it just cuz Santa Claus elves have pointy ears?

Elu Ancalime 01-19-2007 10:33 PM

I would would be curious as to what befell the other three wizards.....
________
WEED VAPORIZER

Estelyn Telcontar 01-20-2007 02:18 AM

Can I have two questions? I'd ask:

"Did Arwen have wings?" and "Who buried the Balrog?"

...or was that the other way around??

piosenniel 01-20-2007 03:07 AM

'Begging your pardon, Professor.....but what sort of ale do you prefer?

Oh, and might I stand you a pint?'

~*~ Pio http://forum.barrowdowns.com/ubb/icons/icon13.gif

Lalwendë 01-20-2007 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morai
I'd probably be too awestruck to ask him anything. :o

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pio
'Begging your pardon, Professor.....but what sort of ale do you prefer?

Oh, and might I stand you a pint?'

Actually, speaking from the experience of meeting his grand-daughter, my reaction would probably be like this. I just asked her how she was and if she was having a good time because I was firstly quite stunned and secondly my manners forbade me to do more than go through the familiar routines when meeting a stranger. ;)

Mithalwen 01-20-2007 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shieldmaiden4xsword
that's a very very good question.

and, do Elves really have pointy ears? I don't see it mentioned anywhere. Or is it just cuz Santa Claus elves have pointy ears?

It is mentioned in HoME that Elves have leaf shaped ears - which was a shock because I had never imagined them thus and had grumbled to myself about it when I saw the film trailers ..then I read the relevant volume (and I can't remeber just now sorry). The word for ear in elvish is related to that for leaf and if I remember rightly Legolas' name is a bitof a pun - Legolas (green leef) sounds the same as laigo lhas ( sharp ears) :P

The Might 01-20-2007 06:55 AM

either about the Entwives or about his opinion on the movies :D

Morai 01-20-2007 11:01 AM

Random Titles in a chase.....

Quote:

Actually, speaking from the experience of meeting his grand-daughter, my reaction would probably be like this.
If I had a lucky day, I would probably return to reality quick enough to chase after Tolkien. Once I caught him, I would kindly ask if he could finish the Sil for me.

Bęthberry 01-20-2007 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
Can I have two questions? I'd ask:

"Did Arwen have wings?" and "Who buried the Balrog?"

...or was that the other way around??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mithalwen
It is mentioned in HoME that Elves have leaf shaped ears - which was a shock because I had never imagined them thus and had grumbled to myself about it when I saw the film trailers ..then I read the relevant volume (and I can't remeber just now sorry). The word for ear in elvish is related to that for leaf and if I remember rightly Legolas' name is a bitof a pun - Legolas (green leef) sounds the same as laigo lhas ( sharp ears) :P

Perhaps it was those pointy ears which led to the confusion of those questions, Esty? :D

Folwren 01-20-2007 11:23 AM

I never wondered about elves' ears, but did Hobbits really have pointy ears?

ninja91 01-20-2007 12:42 PM

All right, Johnny Ronny Reuel, the Witch King would kill Gandalf...right?

Volo 01-20-2007 02:54 PM

"Umm... What's the time?"

Eomer of the Rohirrim 01-20-2007 02:59 PM

I'd ask him where he found the elixir of life. :p

About his books, I'd ask who his favourite character was, or which one he'd most like to have a pint with.