The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   TOL-IN-GAURHOTH XII, Erbar Telamarth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=12312)

the phantom 10-14-2005 12:12 PM

TOL-IN-GAURHOTH XII, Erbar Telamarth

This post does not mark the beginning of the game. This is just the rules.

If you have a question about the rules, please post it within the next 36 hours.

ROLES

Werewolf- There are three Werewolves in this village. Their goal is to reduce the population of the village until it is even with the number of wolves left in the village.

Seer- There is one Seer, and his goal is to help find Wolves with his nightly dreams.

Ranger- There is one Ranger, and his job is to protect the Villagers from the Werewolves at night.

Hunter- There is one Hunter, and his duty is to take a Wolf with him to the grave when he meets his fate.

Cursed Villager- There is one Cursed Villager, but he does not know he is cursed, and so behaves like an Innocent Villager, unless the Wolves choose to kill him during the night, in which case he joins the Wolf team.

Innocent Villager- There are eight Innocent Villagers, and their job is to lynch Werewolves during the day.

RULES FOR ROLES

Werewolf- Each night the Werewolves must select someone to kill and pm the name to me. When someone is killed, his death and role are announced to the village the next morning (except for the Cursed Villager, if he is "killed" he becomes a Wolf and so no one dies that night). The Wolves can pm amongst themselves at ALL times, night and day, to discuss strategy.

Seer- Each night the Seer must select someone to dream about and pm the name to me. I will then pm the Seer back and reveal the role of whoever the Seer chose. The Cursed Villager will appear to be an Innocent Villager to the Seer, unless he has already become a Wolf. If the Seer dreams of the Cursed on the same night the Cursed is turned into a Wolf or any night after that, the Seer will see a Wolf.

Ranger- Each night the Ranger must select someone to protect from the Wolves and pm the name to me. If he picks the same person that the Wolves pick for their kill, that person survives the night. If he protects the Cursed, the Cursed cannot be turned into a Wolf that night. The Ranger cannot protect himself, and he cannot protect the same person two nights in a row.

Hunter- The Hunter can, at any time, pm me with the name of a person he believes to be a Wolf. The Hunter can change his pick at any time. If the Hunter is lynched during the day or killed at night, the most recent person he pmed to me will die with him. If the Hunter is afraid of killing an innocent, he can choose to kill no one at all when he dies.

Cursed Villager- The Cursed Villager is exactly like an Innocent Villager, except if the Wolves target him at night he doesn't die, but instead joins the Werewolf team.

VOTING RULES

During the day, every member of the village must form theories about who is a wolf based on accusations, defenses, voting record, and seer hints and then vote to lynch someone.

At the end of the day, whoever has the most votes against him is lynched, and his identity is made known (unless he is the Cursed Villager- the Cursed will appear to be an Innocent Villager, unless of course he has been turned into a Wolf).

Votes are cast like this-
+ + the phantom

Votes cannot be taken back.

In the event of a tie, both candidates are lynched.

If three or more people are tied, then the FIRST and LAST people to reach the total are lynched. This should provide some interesting opportunities for the Wolves to sandwich one of their own between two innocents- and also innocents will factor this voting rule into their suspicions if a triple tie occurs.

Each day, I expect EVERYONE to VOTE, and also to POST.

You MUST-
  • respond to the accusations and defenses of others OR make your own accusations and defenses OR submit substantial theories on voting patterns and alliances between villagers
  • vote
If you fail to meet these requirements two days in a row- YOU WILL BE KILLED.

This rule is to force everyone (including the wolves) to open their mouths, and to ensure a lengthy discussion each day.

The reason you play this game is to bluff, double-bluff, and guess who is bluffing and double-bluffing and why they are doing it. The more people open their mouths, the more you can do this.

I want to leave for work and come home to find that the thread is two or three pages longer than when I left!

I WANT TO SEE THEORIES AND ACCUSATIONS FLYING!!!

Now, I understand that it is just about impossible to form a theory on day one since there is no voting record or kills at that point, but I expect you to discuss a bit of strategy.

ABOUT THE NARRATION

Since I am the moderator, I will be narrating the results of each Night and Day. My narration DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING!! In my little stories, villagers will be named and they will say and do things, but what they say and do is NOT meant to be used as EVIDENCE!! It is purely entertainment.

Also, during the course of this game, I would appreciate it if you would refer to me as Lord Phantom, Master Phantom, Sir Phantom, or King Phantom.

I am looking forward to a well played game. You will all receive your roles Saturday night or during the day Sunday.

The players-
  • Shelob (beggar)
  • mormegil (messanger)
  • Cailín (love-potion seller)
  • the guy who be short (dwarf)
  • Anguirel (knight errant)
  • Encaitare (jewel smith)
  • Boromir88 (insulting man from Dor-Lomin)
  • Firefoot (naturalist/herbalist)
  • Lhunardawen (healer)
  • littlemanpoet (lecherous innkeeper/bartender)
  • Feanor of the Peredhil (tavern wench)
  • Eomer of the Rohirrim (thieving mercenary)
  • Formendacil (gong farmer)
  • Estelyn Telcontar (seamstress)
  • Mister Underhill (itinerant drúadan watch-stone maker)
If you want a certain job in the village, such as blacksmith or pub owner, post your preference here or pm me.

If I don't get an occupation from you by Sunday I will assign you one.

If you have already stated your preference, then don't worry, I will put it next to your name later today.

EDIT: This fictional village is in Beleriand during the First Age. Keep that in mind when selecting your job.

EDIT: Wolves, Seer, Ranger, and Hunter- I want your nightly picks ONE HOUR BEFORE THE DEADLINE AT THE LATEST. That means I need them by 12:30 AM EST. If your pick is late, I will not count it.

Formendacil 10-14-2005 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the phantom
I WANT TO SEE THEORIES AND ACCUSATIONS FLYING!!!

Ave, Phantom! We who are about to die salute you!

Quote:

If I don't get an occupation from you by Sunday I will assign you one.

Well, this could be fun...

I think I shall be the village Gong Farmer.

(Look it up if you don't know what it is... I assure you it is not someone who grows bronze plates...)

A nice sized-game there, Milord Phantom, and a nice set of rules (excepting the double-lynching... Don't like that. But you ARE the boss...).

This will be fun! :D

Anguirel 10-14-2005 12:30 PM

Gong farmer...poor chap...

I will be a valiant and true knight-errant...in marked contrast to my previous role

Firefoot 10-14-2005 02:05 PM

This will certainly be an interesting game, looking at both the rules and the players' list! Nice to see some names on there of people whom I haven't played with before.

I shall be a naturalist/herbalist.

Boy, I'm going to have to remember what I'm doing here. I haven't played in a game since August.

Boromir88 10-14-2005 03:05 PM

Wow what a good game we got here Mr. phantom, I tip my hat to you. I look forward to playing for the first time with those like Fea, Mr. Underhill, Estelyn, tgwbs, and Lhuna.

I will be an insulting man from Dor-lomin.

the guy who be short 10-14-2005 03:44 PM

I shall, of course, be a Dwarf. For interest, I shall also be completely bald. And bespectacled. And I live under the village, as opposed to in it.

Profession? Bah! Dwarf.

mormegil 10-14-2005 04:49 PM

Quote:

Also, during the course of this game, I would appreciate it if you would refer to me as Lord Phantom, Master Phantom, Sir Phantom, or King Phantom.
Phew I'm glad this isn't a requirement :p

I shall be a messanger. I can run messages for Elves, Dwarves, Valar, Men, Orcs, you name it I'll run it.

the phantom 10-14-2005 07:18 PM

Times

I'd like everyone's opinion on which time would work the best.

I was just rethinking my schedule, and I've come up with these options...

I can make days and nights begin any time between 10 PM EST and 2 AM EST, or I suppose I could also do 8 AM EST if that is what most people prefer.

I imagine that no matter what time I choose there will be people who will only be able to be present early in the day or late in the day, so unless there is a large clamour for one particular time or another, I will probably pick 12 or 1 AM EST.

Please, voice your thoughts.

Feanor of the Peredhil 10-14-2005 07:40 PM

Several Thoughts

1. Mister Underhill? You sneaky devil. I never even guessed.
  2. I prefer midnight for starts and ends. Days and Nights are 24 hours each to accomodate time zone differences, I'm guessing?
  3. I wish to assume the role of tavern wench. If you won't let me, I will be a basket weaver who enjoys serving food and drink to the villagers. From my baskets.
  4. Wolves PMing both Day and Night? How fabulous. And lastly...
  5. Lord Phantom? Psh. Be satisfied with Moddess Goddess like we all were. :p

Firefoot 10-14-2005 07:46 PM

11-12 a.m. EST give or take an hour or so would work well for me, since that's right about the time when I usually go to sleep. I'll be able to check in rather briefly in the mornings, then, though most of my participation will come in the afternoon/evening (depending on the day) to night, which would mean that most of my participation would be closer to the end of the Day/Night phases, similar to WWI so long ago... that worked out well with school.

Formendacil 10-14-2005 09:08 PM

As long as DAYs and NIGHTs are 24 hours in duration- each- then I really don't care too much.

But, if it matters, I prefer an evening, or even a nighttime start. As a North American, I suppose that means the between 10 and 2 option...

mormegil 10-14-2005 09:39 PM

I'm further west of you phantom some midnight is great for me but so is 8. 2AM gets a bit late but whatever works for all.

Encaitare 10-14-2005 11:56 PM

Sweet list of players -- can't wait for this game! I shall be a jewelsmith.

Estelyn Telcontar 10-15-2005 01:51 AM

If the deadline is late night U.S. time, I will end up having to cast my vote early, as it's not likely I'll be able to get online so early in the morning that I'll be able to catch up with reading previous posts and arguments and making my decision - at approximately 6 am! :eek: However, if others realize the time difference and take it into account when drawing their own conclusions, and if we have 24 hours each for day and night, I suppose it should work out. Perhaps we should do a time zone check - I'm in EDT, which is GMT + 2, until the end of this month.

My profession has already been logged. I look forward to the game with a bit of trepidation, as I'm a newbie to this. I hope to survive long enough to enjoy playing with all of you!

Cailín 10-15-2005 03:41 AM

Great game! I'm still wondering how my name ended up on that list. :D

Well, I'm on GMT+1, but I'm already used to being forced to cast an early vote. I suppose 2 AM would work best for me, but any time is fine. Though, like Estelyn, 12AM or 1AM would force me to vote extremely early, since I'm physically unable to get up before 7 in the morning.

As for professions, I will be a merchant selling love potions. Can't guarantee they'll work, though.

the guy who be short 10-15-2005 06:23 AM

8AM EDT would be best for me, but it doesn't matter hugely - I'll just post my vote early if I must.

mormegil 10-15-2005 08:59 AM

If we are doing a time zone check like Estelyn wanted I am in Mountain time which is 2 hours behind Eatern Time

Boromir88 10-15-2005 09:01 AM

I'm in EST with phantom, any time is good for me. I may have to vote earlier on Thursdays and Fridays, but any time is good.

Anguirel 10-15-2005 09:12 AM

Come to think of it, I've thought hard and dredged up my appalling Maths skills and 8:00 AM EST would be best, if poss...

Feanor of the Peredhil 10-15-2005 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boromir88
I'm in EST with phantom, any time is good for me. I may have to vote earlier on Thursdays and Fridays, but any time is good.

Unless he's recently taken leave of Omaha, tp's not on EST. He's just using it. Not that it really matters... Can't wait to start!

Eomer of the Rohirrim 10-15-2005 10:26 AM

Looking forward to the game; it should be a lot of fun.

I will be a Mercenary. I'm hiding out in [Insert name of Village] because I accepted gold from King Thingol to fight for him, and I never did. I'm wanted dead or alive.

I'll be safe here, right? ;)

the guy who be short 10-15-2005 11:12 AM

Quote:

I'll be safe here, right?
Dwarves and Thingolites don't get on very well, so of course.

Which brings me to another thing. This game should be set in Middle Earth. I'm not going to bother giving any reasoning, I know the awesomeness of the phantom will shine through on this. ;)

Boromir88 10-15-2005 01:12 PM

Quote:

Which brings me to another thing. This game should be set in Middle Earth. I'm not going to bother giving any reasoning
I think those are Master phantom's intentions. My first "role" was an insulting frenchman, but phantom made me aware that there were no frenchmen in middle-earth so I changed it with one of his suggestions as "insulting man from Dor-lomin"

Quote:

Unless he's recently taken leave of Omaha, tp's not on EST. He's just using it. Not that it really matters... Can't wait to start!
Oh, I see.

Mister Underhill 10-15-2005 02:12 PM

I should keep my eyes open -- just now stumbled on this thread in time to get my occupation in under the wire. It is: Itinerant Drúadan Watch-stone Maker.

As for the time-zone check, I'm in PDT.

Looking forward to the game.

Eomer of the Rohirrim 10-15-2005 02:46 PM

Hasn't every game been set in Middle-earth?

the phantom 10-15-2005 06:24 PM

Well, since we are in a variety of time zones, it looks like no matter what time I pick there are going to be people from certain areas that have to vote before the very end of the day. Make sure and factor that into your suspicions.

I think I'm going to go with 1:30 AM EST for the start/end time.

That way, those of you in Europe can get in on the very end of voting if you are up early (I think 6:30 AM in Brit and 8:30 AM if you're in Esty's zone).

For us in North America, we will have to stay up late to get in on the end of voting- 1:30 AM for Fea's zone, 12:30 AM for me, 11:30 PM for morm and the others in his zone, and 10:30 PM for Mister Underhill's zone.

I'm not sure exactly what time it will be for Lhuna, but I know it won't be night so Lhuna should be fine.

the phantom 10-15-2005 06:56 PM

I'm going to be sending out roles pretty soon.

Depending on where you live, NIGHT 1 will begin very late Sunday night or very early Monday morning.

DAY 1, when everyone can begin posting, will begin Tuesday at 1:30 AM EST.

Once you receive your role, you are not allowed to mention the game to another living member of the village until the game is over- except for the wolves, who can pm amongst themselves all the time.

You cannot give a rep to someone unless they are dead. Reps, depending on when they are given and what they say, will probably influence the opinions of the recipient, and I don't want that to happen.

So, NO PMING OR REPPING A LIVING PLAYER.

mormegil 10-15-2005 07:36 PM

Just a reminder to all players that we will want to be in invisible mode for the duration of the game or at least the part you are active in.

littlemanpoet 10-15-2005 09:52 PM

I'll be the lecherous innkeeper/bartender. :p Ay, Fea babe... ;)

Lhunardawen 10-16-2005 05:31 AM

Quote:

Well, since we are in a variety of time zones, it looks like no matter what time I pick there are going to be people from certain areas that have to vote before the very end of the day. Make sure and factor that into your suspicions.

That's right. I remember in Werewolf VII... :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by still the phantom
I think I'm going to go with 1:30 AM EST for the start/end time.

I'm not sure exactly what time it will be for Lhuna, but I know it won't be night so Lhuna should be fine.

Thanks for the concern, milord phantom. The time is perfect for me. I am in GMT +8, so that will be 1:30 PM over here. I just looove sem breaks.

As for my role, I'll be the village healer (of hurts and hearts ;) ).

Boromir88 10-16-2005 06:30 AM

The only day there should be a problem are Thurdsays, where I have meetings until 11, and I'm not in the mood to stay up much later. So, if it's the day phase on Thursday, expect a very early vote from me (5-6ish EST)

Shelob 10-16-2005 10:13 AM

A role eh? Would you permit me to be a beggar? Since most of this game shall be played on borrowed time (if not time outright stolen from my homework) it seems almost fitting...and now I can put my begging bowl to good use.

Also, Phantom, thanks for moving the starting date back. Last I had known it was to have started today and I'd have come in late...

Many Thanks.

Mithalwen 10-16-2005 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
Hasn't every game been set in Middle-earth?

Mine wasn't

Eomer of the Rohirrim 10-16-2005 01:33 PM

You rebel. :p

Mithalwen 10-16-2005 02:02 PM

I prefer to say individual.... Anyway it is good to see that the mantle of despotic moderation has been assumed.. :p

the phantom 10-16-2005 10:39 PM

almost ready...

Quote:

it is good to see that the mantle of despotic moderation has been assumed
I try my best. ;)

Okay everyone- as morm said earlier, make sure you are all in INVISIBLE MODE.

Also, starting now, all questions should be posted on the original Werewolf thread, or pmed to me.

NIGHT 1 will begin shortly.

The only person I need to hear from on NIGHT 1 is the Seer.

DAY 1, when everyone can begin posting, will begin Tuesday at 1:30 AM EST- less than 25 hours from now.

Talk up a storm every day. Come up with all the theories you can. Analyze every vote and Werewolf kill and think of every possible implication, and then post it- no matter how unlikely it is.

Prove that you are worthy to be in the phantom's village!

And have fun, too. :)

the phantom 10-17-2005 12:37 AM

The beginning...

NIGHT 1

The region south of the River Teiglin was all but deserted.

One by one, each settlement in that land had been pulled down from within by Sauron's werewolves.

Even the villages that managed to slay his wolves lost so many of their people in the process that the village could not continue to exist, and so the survivors would move to another village, which would inevitably be invaded by werewolves.

Sauron smiled as he stood atop a hill, which was bareheaded except for one tree, two miles from the small village known as Erbar Telamarth. Sauron had been assigned to clear the region of all settlements, and this was the last one.

Erbar Telamarth was populated entirely with survivors of other villages. Sauron knew that the experience of the villagers would make them much harder to defeat, but he did not mind. If the next group of wolves he sent into the village failed, he would simply send another.

"But why use werewolves at all? Why not take an army of orcs and wipe them out?" Gothmog had asked Sauron during their last meeting in Angband.

If Gothmog weren't such a barbaric simpleton, he could've answered his own question thought Sauron. He just has no appreciation for the finer points of evil. Using werewolves is a perfect design. It causes every person in a village to distrust everyone else- even their own spouse and children. And during the day, in an attempt to find my wolves, the villagers cruelly kill their own fellow innocents. Sauron laughed quietly to himself as he fondly remembered all of the innocents who had been lynched at the hands of their friends and family.

The arrival of his orc captain, Mortakh, brought Sauron back to the present. "We have him, Lord Sauron!"

"Excellent. Bring him to me."

Mortakh turned and ran down the slope and soon vanished into the trees surrounding the hill, eager to carry out his master's order.

And so, the final chapter is ready to begin thought Sauron.

For the past eleven days, Sauron and his small company of orcs had been patrolling the area surrounding Erbar Telamarth, waiting for a chance to capture Phantom. Now, they had finally caught him.

Sauron had tried to slip wolves into the village twice during the previous month, but Phantom found the wolves both times and had them executed immediately. Sauron knew he had to get rid of Phantom or his wolves would never get the chance to destroy the village.

Three years before, Sauron had turned Phantom into a werewolf. Usually, Sauron would go to the outskirts of a village and draw the three villagers with the darkest hearts to him and put into them a foul werewolf spirit, but he had gone out of his way to make Phantom a wolf. Phantom did not come to him- he pursued and captured Phantom. Phantom was a young, intelligent, persuasive man, and Sauron knew he would make a perfect werewolf- and he did.

Phantom destroyed countless villages over the next two years, but, suddenly and unexpectedly, the man inside triumphed over the werewolf and Phantom cast the evil spirit from his own body- something no werewolf had ever done.

After that, Phantom journeyed to Erbar Telamarth and had been living there ever since. Because he had once been a wolf, Phantom could immediately sense a werewolf, and so he was able to protect the village from them. Every evening the villagers would line up outside Phantom's house and he would inspect all of them to make sure no one had been possessed.

Sauron discovered this after his second wolf attack failed, and realized that Phantom had to be dealt with before the village could be attacked.

"Here he is, Lord!" shouted Mortakh as he came trotting up out of the trees. Behind him were six orcs carrying a man, bound and gagged.

"Set him there."

The orcs leaned the man against the lone tree on the hill top and went back to stand beside Sauron with Mortakh.

The man turned his head to the left and looked towards the village, but night had come and he could not see it, though he could see the glow of fires through windows, which from so far away appeared to be orange stars.

"Don't worry Phantom- they will all be dead soon," said Sauron.

(to be continued)

the phantom 10-17-2005 09:19 PM

Later that night...

Sauron threw up his hands in disgust. For the third time that night, his attempt to turn Phantom back into a werewolf had failed.

Phantom was sitting propped up against the tree. He looked exhausted, and somewhat older, but his eyes were shining with defiance. "Looks like your plan to destroy Erbar Telamarth is going extremely well," he said mockingly.

"You are a fool!" returned Sauron. "If I cannot make you a wolf, I will just find other wolves, and kill you! Your village will be destroyed either way! Why not give in and become a wolf again? At least that way you will get to live. Also, I know you must have enjoyed being a werewolf on some level."

Phantom rolled his eyes and sighed. "I'm getting tired of your arguments, Sauron. I've heard them all at least ten times tonight. Go away." Sauron stared silently at Phantom for a moment until Mortakh broke the silence.

"Lord Sauron, it's getting late. If you're going to recruit some wolves you need to do it now, or we'll have to wait another night."

Sauron turned towards Mortakh. "Yes, it is getting late. Take the others back to the camp, get the wolves, and bring them back as quickly as possible. I will call some villagers to meet us."

"Yes, Lord Sauron!" answered Mortakh. "C'mon boys, we're going back to camp to get the wolves!"

The orcs immediately loped towards the trees on the Northern side of the hill, but before entering the forest Mortakh stopped and looked back up at Sauron.

Sauron's hands were stretched to the southeast, towards the village, and he was chanting quietly in some language unknown to Mortakh. Mortakh turned and followed his squad towards the camp. He knew that when he got back he would find three villagers on the hill with Sauron- three villagers whose dark hearts, though hidden from their fellow villagers, could not be hid from the powerful call of Sauron.

(to be continued)

the phantom 10-17-2005 10:59 PM

not long before dawn...

It was finished.

Sauron ordered Mortakh and his squad to carry the three lifeless wolves away and dispose of them. The wolves' spirits now dwelt within the three beasts sitting at Sauron's feet.

They were human in form, but larger and more muscular, and covered with hair from head to toe. Their heads looked exactly like the head of a very large wolf. They still had human hands, but the hands had sharp claws instead of nails.

Sauron turned to face Phantom. "I really wish you would have let yourself become a werewolf again. We had such merry times together. I loved watching you make your kills. But- since you have refused my offer, you will be the first to die at the hands of your replacements."

Phantom looked up and met Sauron's gaze and said, "At least when men speak of my death, they will say 'They had to tie him up and send three werewolves at him to kill him'. You on the other hand- I foresee that you will be killed by a lone, unarmed midget! Ha ha ha!"

"Kill him!" Sauron shouted to his werewolves.

As the three beasts closed in, Phantom looked towards his village.

"May the Valar protect them."

(to be continued)

the phantom 10-17-2005 11:26 PM

Day 1

"Something bad happened to him- I just know it!" said littlemanpoet, the bartender, to Estelyn, who was seated at a table a short distance from the bar.

"Shush! Keep your voice down. You don't want to go and upset everyone," cautioned Esty.

"Why not?" asked Formendacil, who was seated at the bar. "They're going to be upset eventually."

"You're right, Formy," agreed Mister Underhill, as he sat down next to him. "You mark my words- the searchers aren't going to find him anything but dead. It's not like him to go missing without telling anyone. Even Fea doesn't know where he is. Phantom's been keeping the wolves from getting into this town, so you know that they're out for his blood- and I know I'm not the only one who heard all of that howling last night."

Even as he finished speaking, mormegil, the messenger, burst in the door. He delivered his message between gasps. "They... they found him... up on... Bald Hill!"

"Dead?" asked Cailin.

Mormegil nodded.

"Were there werewolf tracks, Mormegil?" asked Feanor.

Once again, Mormegil nodded.

IT IS NOW DAY ONE