The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Quotable Quotes (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Quotes in other languages (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=10571)

Guinevere 05-09-2003 10:16 AM

That's it, HerenIstarion. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
btw, how come you are posting here inspite of having announced that you would have no access to the internet for severeal weeks? Not that I am not pleased to read your post [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Will you be able to continue, then?

HerenIstarion 05-10-2003 07:46 AM

As even Beorn noticed, wizards count differently to other people :rolleyes:

To be honest, I haven't expected the whole week to be full of holidays, as it came out. I have no more access to the net from the office (where I spend loads of time), but now I'm at home, so present here as well

next one to be cracked up:

Quote:

"Oh, davaite ix vsex suda! Bistro! Dvigaite blije, vi, dvoe, i sadites! No slushai, ____, daje seichas u nas ti da desiat karlikov da hobbit, kotoriy poteralsia. Eto vsego odinadcat, da poterianniy sverxu, no ne chetirnadcat, esli tolko volshebniki po drugomu ne schitaut, ne kak vse ludi"
Russian. Clues in the intro

GaladrieloftheOlden 05-10-2003 10:13 AM

Quote:

Oh, let them all come! Hurry up! Come along, you two, and sit down! But look here, Gandalf, even now we have only got yourself and ten dwarves and the hobbit that was lost. That only makes eleven (plus one mislaid) and not fourteen, unless wizards count differently than other people.
This is Beorn in The Hobbit in the chapter ‘Queer Lodgings’. Is this the answer? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

~Menelien

HerenIstarion 05-17-2003 03:52 PM

It is :). Pray proceed

GaladrieloftheOlden 05-18-2003 04:41 PM

Alright, then, I've decided to try a quote in Hebrew. My only problem is, I'm not all that great in that language. So please excuse any small error. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:

Isha yafa ____! Isha yafa ___! Achshav ha simcha she haya nahba* be ha shirim she anachnu shomarnu (is clear) li.
I couldn't remember how to say 'is clear' in Hebrew, sorry.
*I don't know whether the correct word here is nahba or saphon.

~Menelien

Elanor 05-20-2003 12:34 PM

I can count to ten in Hebrew, and ask for some milk, but somehow I don't think that will help me solve this one. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Best left to someone else, I think.

GaladrieloftheOlden 05-20-2003 04:58 PM

Alright, three hints:
Isha= Woman (in this case, Lady)
Simcha= Happiness (in this case, joy)
Shirim= Songs

Not sure if that helps anybody at all, if not, I guess I'll have to say which book it's from [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

~Menelien

Arafangwen 05-20-2003 05:02 PM

Menelien, if you would please give us the book from whence it came we might be better off. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

GaladrieloftheOlden 05-20-2003 06:04 PM

Okay [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] It's from Fellowship. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

~Menelien

Narduewen 05-21-2003 03:38 PM

Wow, I actually found it, and I don't even know Hebrew.

"Fair Lady Goldberry! Fair Lady Goldberry! Now the joy that was hidden in the songs we heard is made plain to me." It was said by Frodo.

GaladrieloftheOlden 05-21-2003 03:53 PM

Wow! You're good... your turn!

~Menelien

Narduewen 05-22-2003 02:56 PM

Let's see if I can translate a whole paragraph into another language. Here goes my try.

"bonus manedies! nam die id iterum tandem est. ego (correct), vides. preacelsus in exortus cis _____ sumus. ante hodie est praeterit nos oportemus ad invenimus _____ et videmus _____ aquae iacet in _____ pro nobis?

GaladrieloftheOlden 05-27-2003 03:33 PM

Uh... err... hints, please?

~Menelien

Narduewen 05-27-2003 05:28 PM

okay, i will give you some hints, it is in Latin and it is in LotR, I hope that might help you.

GaladrieloftheOlden 05-27-2003 05:39 PM

Agh, not me. I'm too young for Latin... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I meant along the lines of a word translation, but since it's Latin, I wouldn't get it anyhow... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

~Menelien

Guinevere 05-28-2003 01:21 AM

Actually, I understand quite a lot of it, but not all, but up to now, I haven't found where it can be.... I keep racking my brain.. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Just one question, Narduewen: Does "bonus manedies mean "Good morning" or am I wrong?

Narduewen 05-28-2003 05:11 PM

Yes Guinevere, bonus manedies does mean Good Morning, but I am not sure it is true Latin, but it does come from Latin roots.

Narduewen 06-05-2003 09:56 PM

Do guys need more hints? I'll be happy to give more.

Guinevere 06-06-2003 05:11 AM

Thanks for the offer, Narduewen, but I don't know if more clues will help me [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
So far I understood the following words:

"Good morning! .... at last it is again day.
..........on this side....we are. Before this day is over, we must find ....... and we see....... water....in...... for us?"

Hell, I have searched everywhere in my books, but I'm just not able to locate it.
Well, perhaps someone else has an idea now?

LePetitChoux 06-07-2003 06:04 AM

This is the best translation I could come up with:
Quote:

Good morning! It is now at last another day. You see me. very high in beginning within ______ and see ______ lies water in _____ near us?
I have also searched and searched but can find nothing at all. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

gilraën 06-07-2003 08:12 AM

I can give the quote, not because of language skills, I have few, but because someone provided the majority of the quote so it was simple to fill in the blanks.

Quote:

`Good morning! ' said Gandalf: `For morning it is again at last. I was right, you see. We are high up on the east side of Moria. Before today is over we ought to find the Great Gates and see the waters of Mirrormere lying in the Dimrill Dale before us.'

Narduewen 06-07-2003 07:19 PM

That is correct gilraën! Your turn.

gilraën 06-08-2003 04:15 AM

Excuse me but my written language skills are weak, so my quote is short and sweet.

Quote:

Où nous sont ______?

BTW look in RotK [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Guinevere 06-08-2003 01:49 PM

Do you perhaps mean Pippin, arriving in Gondor and asking:
"Where are we, Gandalf?"
but the correct French for that would be:
" Où sommes-nous, Gandalf?" (Or, more complicated "Où est-ce que nous sommes?")

btw, I was hoping you would come and look at this thread, Gilraën, I was sure you'd be able to find this latin-quote ! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

gilraën 06-08-2003 04:02 PM

Correct Guinevere, I apologise again for my terrible french, unfortunately it is the better of my 'foreign' languages. I only got the last one from the translation given by another. I'll have to stick to english only in future [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Your turn.

Guinevere 06-10-2003 01:31 PM

Thank you, Gilraën!

Quote:

"Eine Zeit könnte bald kommen," sagte ..... "wenn keine heimkehren werden. Dann wird eine Tapferkeit nötig sein ohne Ruhm, denn niemand wird mehr der Taten gedenken, die geleistet werden in der letzten Verteidigung eurer Heime. Doch werden die Taten nicht weniger tapfer sein, weil sie ungepriesen bleiben."

akhtene 06-10-2003 03:54 PM

Wow, at last some language I know a bit! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

"A time may come soon," said Aragorn, "when noone will return. Then there will be need of valour without renown, for none shall remember the deeds that are done in the last defence of your homes. Yet the deeds will not be less valiant because they are unpraised"

Thanks, Guinevere , that's one of my favourite scenes!

Guinevere 06-11-2003 02:27 AM

Hullo, Akhtene, nice to meet you again! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
The quotation is correct, of course. (I like this scene very much, too)
So it is your turn now!

akhtene 06-11-2003 10:27 AM

That’s Russian again (sorry if you are bored [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] ). To make it more interesting – that’s a poem my daughter translated for her Russian class. It’s not part of LotR, but could be, I guess. We found it in a tiny book with bright pictures on every page (does it help??)

Okonchen den’,
V glasah temno,
Lezhit put dal’nii predo mnoi.

Proshchai, moi drug!
Ya slyshu zov.
Korabl’ k plavaniu gotov.

Pena bela,
Volny sery kak stal’;
Moi put’ ved’ot v zakatnuiu dal’.

Guinevere 06-11-2003 02:30 PM

Hm, I don't know any Russian. The only words I was able to find out are "den" = day and "proshchai"= farewell... But this and the exclamation mark, together with the hints that you gave, leads me to guess that it could be the beginning of Bilbo's Last Song
Quote:

Day is ended, dim my eyes,
but journey long before me lies.
Farewell, friends! I hear the call.
The ship's beside the stony wall.
Foam is white and waves are grey,
beyond the sunset leads my way.
Have I guessed right ? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ June 11, 2003: Message edited by: Guinevere ]

akhtene 06-11-2003 03:31 PM

Guessing right with only two words! That's a marvel - or lots of practice! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Your turn.

Guinevere 06-13-2003 10:50 AM

Thank you, Akhtene!

Quote:

Celui qui casse une chose pour trouver ce qu'elle est, a quitté le sentier de la sagesse.

LePetitChoux 06-22-2003 01:52 AM

"One who breaks a thing to find what it is, has left the path of wisdom."

I seriously have no idea where that might come though...Is it in LotR, the Hobbit, or...?

Guinevere 06-22-2003 03:47 AM

Ah , at last someone who knows French! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Your traduction is correct, petit Choux. To give you a hint: the quote is from LotR, FotR to be precise. Can you find out, who said it?

akhtene 07-02-2003 12:21 AM

The thread deserves being bumped up!

That was Gandalf talking to Saruman of Many Colours. (I guessed the speaker at once but it took some 3 days to find the scene [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] )

Guinevere 07-02-2003 01:43 AM

That's it, Akhtene, well done! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Well, either you or le petitChoux can have the next turn... whoever comes first!
[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

GaladrieloftheOlden 07-02-2003 06:18 PM

It doesn't seem at all like Tolkien to me, but sometimes the sound of the poetry gets a bit lost in the translation, in which case it could be... if it is, I certainly don't know it off the top of my head.

~Menelien

akhtene 07-02-2003 09:16 PM

Gosh, it's not Tolkien at all, terribly sorry if I mislead any of you here!
[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

To keep the thread going – some more of boring Russian:

Quote:

“Ya poslannik Korol’a” skazal _____ “Ty govorish s korolevskim drugom, odnim iz samyh proslavlennyh vo vseh zapadnyh zeml’ah. Ty negod’ai i durak. Stanovis’ na koleni na doroge I prosi proshchenia, ili ya vsazhu eto prokl’atie trollei v teb’a.”

GaladrieloftheOlden 07-03-2003 08:44 AM

Quote:

‘I am a messenger of the king,’ he said. ‘You are speaking to the King’s friend, and one of the most reknowned in all the lands of the West. You are a ruffian and a fool. Down on your knees in the road and ask pardon, or I will set this troll’s bane on you!’
-Pippin

~Menelien

akhtene 07-03-2003 05:59 PM

Right. Please procede