The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Lord of the Rings as written by other authors (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=16169)

The Might 01-04-2010 07:07 PM

Lord of the Rings as written by other authors

Just found a funny page on this topic, check it out here: http://www.astro.umd.edu/~pierce/lotrbyothers.html

Of course, if anyone has an idea of how another writer would write it, it would great to read some. :D

Laurinquë 01-05-2010 03:32 AM

I the ones by Mark Twain and Douglas Adams are my favourite.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Twain?
Persons attempting to resolve the question of Balrog wings by means of this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to define the nature of Tom Bombadil will be banished; persons attempting to find allegory in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

Like that would have stopped anyone. If this were a rule on the Barrow-Downs many would experience a painful second death. :rolleyes:

Andsigil 01-05-2010 04:30 AM

Dashiell Hammett would be a good choice to parody. He's one of my favorites. :smokin:

Mithalwen 01-05-2010 06:34 AM

There was a thread here with parodies on I think.... I haven't found it yet but I remember it was good...

Estelyn Telcontar 01-05-2010 06:38 AM

There's a nice long thread with lots of contributions by various Downers here: If LotR had been written by someone else

That thread has traditionally been located on the Books forum for so long that it has not been moved to Mirth. For those who would prefer to post here, I will leave this thread open for now.

If you would like to contribute a new parody tale, please use the above-linked thread so that there will be no confusion when searching. Thanks!

Mithalwen 01-05-2010 06:43 AM

That was it... no wonder I didn't find it ... I looked in Mirth....

The Might 01-05-2010 08:38 AM

Sorry about that, didn't know there was another one for this.

Well, you could just move the first posts into the other thread and delete this one, that would be ok with me.

Mister Underhill 01-05-2010 01:22 PM

By the way, the first couple (at least) on that linked page were cribbed from our old thread. :)

The Saucepan Man 01-05-2010 07:04 PM

Thanks for the link Esty. :) That's a great thread. Wonderful to read through it again. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Underhill (Post 620449)
By the way, the first couple (at least) on that linked page were cribbed from our old thread. :)

Although, to be fair, the owner of the site (assuming that it is the same one) did pop up on the thread to request permission to use the Downers' contributions on his own site and appears generally to have been given licence to do so.

Estelyn Telcontar 01-06-2010 09:34 AM

Well, it turned out that the first few on that thread were posted by a member who found them elsewhere and "forgot" to acknowledge his source. They did not originate on the Downs.

Anything that is published on the internet spreads rapidly, but whenever possible, the original author should be named.

Mithalwen 01-07-2010 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Might (Post 620423)
Sorry about that, didn't know there was another one for this.

Well, you could just move the first posts into the other thread and delete this one, that would be ok with me.

I mentioned it because I remembered it being remarkably good and worth bringing to a new audience not because it was a duplicate :cool:

I don't think you possibly could have known about it - I only had a vague memory of it from my earliest days here and looked quite hard - though in the wrong place... :D

skip spence 01-07-2010 10:41 AM

Yeah I remember reading that thread and laughing heartily. Some of those contributions were very good regardless of the source (which, as Esty points out, always should be acknowledged nevertheless)

The Might 01-07-2010 11:51 AM

Well then, let's keep the thread... enough talking about threads...

Looking forward to some new ideas on LotR as written by others. :D