The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What do you assign to Mordor? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=11894)

Galadriel55 11-09-2016 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mithalwen (Post 705916)
Hmmm, have you considered building a wall to keep out people seeking a better life North of the border?

Normally the hockey and the polar bears keep them out.

littlemanpoet 12-17-2016 09:04 AM

Robocalls that don't identify their source up front. :mad:

Inziladun 12-17-2016 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlemanpoet (Post 706074)
Robocalls that don't identify their source up front. :mad:

Agreed! My go-to response to any number I don't recognize to let VM handle it.

Galadriel55 12-17-2016 10:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When your computer does this at whim. It also has a pink colour scheme available. The other day it gave me a plaid pattern of green and pink stripes. Perhaps it's in the Christmas decoration spirit. It's a good computer and it served me faithfully, but this is getting ridiculous.

Pitchwife 12-18-2016 03:29 PM

You know, this is actually quite appropriate:

Quote:

Originally Posted by LotR Book I, Fog on the Barrow-Downs
As he lay there, thinking and getting a hold of himself, he noticed all at once that the darkness was slowly giving way: a pale greenish light was growing round him.

(The same can, course, not be said of pink or tartan.)

Mithalwen 01-04-2017 11:09 AM

When time catches you up and you will never get the chance to put things right.

Inziladun 01-07-2017 01:52 PM

Snow and ice. I know, many people deal with it regularly and are used to it. In my neck of the woods though, it's a hassle.

Galadriel55 01-07-2017 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inziladun (Post 706153)
Snow and ice. I know, many people deal with it regularly and are used to it. In my neck of the woods though, it's a hassle.

On that note, winter rain. I'll take snow anytime. :D

Morthoron 01-08-2017 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel55 (Post 706154)
On that note, winter rain. I'll take snow anytime. :D

I think you're right. Cold rain or sleet is far more miserable than snow.

Galadriel55 02-01-2017 04:04 PM

When booking a simple ticket requires restarting the computer, fixing the internet connection multiple times, getting into a fight with the bank account thingymajig, selling your soul to the devil - and even so, only getting it after 10 or so tries.

Inziladun 02-25-2017 05:14 PM

Plagues of Morgoth!

Specifically, my nearly week-long (and still going) sinus infection and my daughter's "flu-like" virus. :(

Galadriel55 02-26-2017 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inziladun (Post 706280)
Plagues of Morgoth!

Specifically, my nearly week-long (and still going) sinus infection and my daughter's "flu-like" virus. :(

He does love pulling out the bioweapons this time of year. :(

Accidentally falling asleep for half a day when you had a ton of stuff to do.

Galadriel55 06-02-2017 12:58 PM

When your bank card randomly blocks your card purchases. It has happened before on occasion, but now I'm trying to make important purchases online and not a single one is going through because the bank refuses to transfer the money. Flipping idiots! There's nothing even wrong with the card, there's enough money on it and everything, they're just being obnoxious. 'Oh, we didn't realize you were using your card abroad!..' Idiots! I've been using my card abroad for months now and you were letting me. But every once in a while you went 'nah, suspicious, someone must be using her card to buy potatoes', and blocked specific transfers. Now you're just blocking everything. Stupid, stupid bureaucrats, who must be in cahoots with whoever collects the money for international calls - because emails are not secure enough to confirm I do not have an official block on my card. Nasssty, mean, fat idiots!

Sorry, I just need to vent. I know it's the system that's doing the mess, not the individuals working there, but seriously!

Boromir88 06-02-2017 04:17 PM

Speaking of banks...when your bank says you cant move money out of your savings account anymore, or else they will just cancel your savings account and put it all in checking...because of some obscure federal banking law that deals with money laundering.

The Sixth Wizard 06-20-2017 07:13 AM

Definitely those "fresh food and recipes to your door" delivery companies like HelloFresh (I think they have different ones in Europe and the USA). Anything that creates two kilos of cardboard and plastic waste per delivery, takes all the challenge and creativity out of cooking, and encourages people to spend less time shopping for food and more time working falls squarely in with the hypermodern industrial devilry of Orthanc and Barad-dur.

Galadriel55 06-20-2017 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Sixth Wizard (Post 707011)
Definitely those "fresh food and recipes to your door" delivery companies like HelloFresh (I think they have different ones in Europe and the USA). Anything that creates two kilos of cardboard and plastic waste per delivery, takes all the challenge and creativity out of cooking, and encourages people to spend less time shopping for food and more time working falls squarely in with the hypermodern industrial devilry of Orthanc and Barad-dur.

I never got the point of those. It's a lot cheaper and more practical to look up recipes yourself, if you don't know them, and buy products in the grocery store. I may not be quite ready to assign them to Mordor, but they always seemed too much like 10 Easy Ways To Swindle People. Bill Ferny, perhaps?

Galadriel55 09-28-2017 02:41 PM

Falling sick on the most important day of the week. My housemate gets sick - it's on a short day, attendance is not taken at these classes, and they are all recorded. I get sick and have to miss a day - mandatory classes with attendance, a hands-on lab, most confusing lecture is not recorded, and two meetings take place. Wonderful timing! :mad:

Inziladun 12-26-2017 01:42 PM

Influenza. Even after I got the vaccine like a good citizen. :(

Nerwen 02-23-2018 04:47 AM

Ants.:mad:

I am in so much pain.:(

Inziladun 07-16-2018 01:07 PM

Waiting for the air conditioning repair people to show up, in July heat.

Formendacil 07-17-2018 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inziladun (Post 712065)
Waiting for the air conditioning repair people to show up, in July heat.

Miserable! We had the power go out yesterday afternoon (in 95F with humidity outside and a 10-day infant inside). Mercifully, it came back in what was probably only ten second or so, but... man, those were a looooooong ten seconds.

Inziladun 07-17-2018 06:11 AM

Yeah. Ours went out Sat. the 14th. Didn't want to call anyone on the weekend because of the outrageous surcharge, and now there's apparently a horde of people in the area with the same problem.

Demloth of Dol Amroth 08-29-2018 11:12 PM

Social Networks

Inziladun 09-14-2018 01:58 PM

One hundred degree heat indices in September (and in three months I'll be complaining about it being too cold ;)).

Inziladun 09-19-2018 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inziladun (Post 712511)
One hundred degree heat indices in September (and in three months I'll be complaining about it being too cold ;)).

To exposit and add, having central a/c break down again, and fully sympathizing with Gollum's loathing and fear of the Yellow Face.

Galadriel55 10-31-2018 06:44 PM

That satanic pen that is super uncomfortable and unpleasant to write with and that you want to throw out already, you're just waiting for the ink to run out... but it will never run out. YOU'RE STUCK WITH THE PEN FOR LIFE NOW.

Inziladun 10-31-2018 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel55 (Post 712771)
That satanic pen that is super uncomfortable and unpleasant to write with and that you want to throw out already, you're just waiting for the ink to run out... but it will never run out. YOU'RE STUCK WITH THE PEN FOR LIFE NOW.

At least you aren't literally stuck with it...unless...it develops a Sauronic will of its own and attacks? :eek: :p

Inziladun 01-05-2019 03:22 PM

A major plumbing problem for the past couple of weeks, and new a bent car wheel courtesy of a hole in the road.

Merrymatt 02-22-2019 08:59 PM

A glowing green palace on a volcanic spire, surrouded by orcs and warg dens strewn across the sides.
Although I might add in a Palantir on a spiked throne and a warg pup at side