The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Phantasy Football: Arda Cup 2015 (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=18924)

the phantom 08-03-2015 05:15 PM

Phantasy Football: Arda Cup 2015

Arda Cup 2015 approaches!

Tell your friends, tell your enemies, and tell those people you don't really talk to! :)

Last season the always competitive Nilp broke through in a big way and led the competition wire to wire. Will he be able to defend his title? Or will a past champion rediscover the magic to regain the crown? Gwath, Nog, Boro, Skip...? Or will an entirely new star arise?

We shall see....

Before I list the rules for this year's competition, we need to take care of some business- deciding who will fill the final spots on the Barrow-Downs and Tol-In-Gaurhoth rosters! :)

Per tradition (and as a reward for lots of game-writing and organization), Boro and I are already placed on the team, as is Legate thanks to his hard-luck prize last year.

Orodreth, Finduilas, and Edrahil will be playing with Tol In Gaurhoth this year as well- returning to a place they know well (or at least knew before it was taken over by Sauron and his mean old Werewolves). That leaves three Wight slots and two Wolf slots to fill on TIG. There are also two Wight slots and a Wolf slot on the Barrow-Downs team, but for the moment those are reserved for new players. (If you've never played Arda Cup before and you sign up, you're on the Barrow-Downs team. In the absence of three completely new players, three players that didn't play last year will gain the slots.)

So long story short, we need to elect five people to play.

As of now everyone is allowed five total votes for either nominating or seconding (you can't vote for the same person twice of course). Anyone that receives five votes is in immediately, and if not enough Downers have received the necessary number of votes by next week I will simply take the highest vote getters.

Don't worry about nominating Wights & Wolves separately- that will sort itself out later.

The teams currently stand-

Tol In Gaurhoth
GK (TBAwolf)
DF Edrahil
DF (TBAwight)
DF (TBAwolf)

DF BoroWolf
MF (TBAwight)
MF Finduilas
MF Orodreth
MF PhantomWolf
FW (TBAwight)
FW LegateWolf

The Barrow-Downs
GK Lumpkin
DF River Woman
DF (TBAwolf)
DF (TBAwight)

DF The Barrow-Wight
MF Goldberry
MF (TBAwight)
MF Hookbill
MF Argeleb II
FW Bombadil
FW Witch King

the phantom 08-03-2015 07:17 PM

Oh, and we can't nominate Nog or Nilp because they signed their own contracts with other teams (the last two years we've rewarded the Phantasy winner with the ability to sign with a team in the tournament).

Gwathagor 08-04-2015 07:02 AM

I am here.

Shastanis Althreduin 08-04-2015 01:20 PM

I've been looking forward to this!

Inziladun 08-04-2015 01:27 PM

I'm in!

Boromir88 08-04-2015 04:05 PM

To get it rolling, I nominate the first three who said they're in :)

Gwath
Shasta
Inzil

Shastanis Althreduin 08-04-2015 09:50 PM

I second the Gwath and Inzil nominations and also nominate Nerwen.

mormegil 08-05-2015 06:06 AM

I'll happily take up one of your bottom slots this year. :rolleyes:

Kuruharan 08-05-2015 08:55 AM

I am also in this year and I will also second the nominations of Gwath, Shasta, and Inzil.

Nerwen 08-06-2015 11:10 PM

I'll third them.

Clarification request: we are voting for the TIG team only, not the Barrowdowns team?

Boromir88 08-07-2015 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerwen (Post 701073)
I'll third them.

Clarification request: we are voting for the TIG team only, not the Barrowdowns team?

Correct. :D

McCaber 08-08-2015 12:34 AM

It's been a while, hasn't it? I'll gladly play some fantasy soccer once more.

Nilpaurion Felagund 08-08-2015 07:49 AM

Soon-to-be two-time Phantasy champion reporting. :)

The TENT punditry team, as well as their recruiting department, has been slacking for almost a month. I'll see if they can be kicked back to shape.

the phantom 08-08-2015 09:35 PM

Where would our squad have been the last few years without Shasta's goalkeeping and Nerwen gluing things together up front? Fourthing and seconding those two...

Gwath (4)
Shasta (4)
Inzil (4)
Nerwen (2)

Legate of Amon Lanc 08-10-2015 02:26 AM

Fifthing Zil (if I'm not mistaken, that puts him straight there) and thirding Nerwen, for starters...

Inzil (5)
Gwath (4)
Shasta (4)
Nerwen (3)

Kuruharan 08-10-2015 07:25 AM

I will fourth Nerwen.

Boromir88 08-10-2015 11:12 AM

5th Nerwen.

Nominate Kuru (we need a dwarves spirit :p)

the phantom 08-11-2015 08:24 PM

I will add another vote for Kuru and give us a clear top five at the moment.

Nerwen (5)
Inzil (5)
Gwath (4)
Shasta (4)
Kuru (2)

If nothing changes soon then I will make the places official and see about filling the Barrow-Downs spots. If you know any other site members that might play, go talk them into it. I just posted a message on the Facebook group, so we'll see what bites we get before the weekend.

Nerwen 08-12-2015 01:50 AM

I'll third Kuru.

And my last vote will go to Mithalwen, just to annoy her.:smokin:

Legate of Amon Lanc 08-12-2015 03:43 PM

Let me fourth Kuru.

the phantom 08-13-2015 01:27 PM

Okay, I'll go ahead and call it. Shasta will fill his customary Goalkeeper position, Nerwen will be up front per usual, and since Inzil did well as a Wolf last year we'll put him at the defensive Wolf position. That leaves Kuru and Gwath, and my coin says that Kuru will be a defender while Gwath will be in the midfield.

Tol In Gaurhoth
GK ShastaWolf
DF Edrahil
DF KuruWight
DF InzilWolf
DF BoroWolf
MF GwathWight
MF Finduilas
MF Orodreth
MF PhantomWolf
FW NerWight
FW LegateWolf

Let's just say that everyone has full votes back and we'll start nominating folks for the Downs squad. But of course we'd like to stick a couple new players on the squad, so if you have ways of contacting folks that might play (Facebook, LJ, PMs, anything) contact them asap.

satansaloser2005 08-13-2015 08:10 PM

I finally have the internet again and will of course be joining. :)

Kuruharan 08-13-2015 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the phantom (Post 701158)
Kuru will be a defender

Amusingly, when I played soccer when I was a wee dwarf, I was a defender.

I nominate McCaber, morm and Sally.

Legate of Amon Lanc 08-14-2015 01:10 AM

Seconding Sally! I hope there will be also more folks to join us...

Nilpaurion Felagund 08-14-2015 08:23 AM

Gwath as the deep-lying playmaker! Kuru as the deliverer of bone-crunching tackles! I like this TiG squad.

Speaking of squad-building, I chip in my vote for Sally to join in the Downs team's hi-jinks, and for morm to be the overwhelmed authority figure. :)

the phantom 08-19-2015 03:13 PM

And I will second all the folks with a vote for the BD squad. I know a couple people like Sally and Legate are attempting to talk new people into joining, but if we don't hear anything by, let's say Friday night, we will go ahead and stick the three leaders onto the Downs team and release all the rosters/groupings/etc.

McCaber (2)
Morm (3)
Sally (4)

the phantom 08-22-2015 12:51 PM

Rules will go up next post. Full rosters and groups just went up here.

The schedule for the first round is-

Misty Mts vs The Sea
Dwarves United vs Wilderland

Angband vs Doriath
Erebor vs Havens

Hithlum vs T-I-G
Isengard vs Rohan

Anfauglith vs Gondolin
Arnor vs Real Valinor

Inter Bel vs Minas Tirith
Anduin vs Imladris

Armenelos vs Valimar
Mordor vs Barrow-Downs

Nargothrond vs FC Valinor
AC Beleriand vs Tirion

Barad-Dur vs Gondor
Eriador vs Shire-Bree United

the phantom 08-22-2015 01:00 PM

Here are the competition rules. :)

Selecting Your Team

Select your team members from the rosters available here. You will be awarded points according to how your players fare in their tournament games.

You must have one GK (goal keeper) and then you can use one of the following formations found below. (Formations listed as number of defenders, midfielders, and forwards, or DF-MF-FW)
  • 5-4-1
  • 4-5-1
  • 3-6-1
  • 4-4-2
  • 4-3-3
In other words, if you choose 4-4-2, then you want to place 4 defenders, 4 midfielders, and 2 fowards on your team along with the goalie of your choice.

You may not choose more than 3 players from one single team (it will be allowed late in the playoffs).

Place a bolded "C" after one of your players-> C. This player will be your captain and will earn (or lose) you double points.

Some players have stars (*) before their names on the roster. You are allowed a total of FOUR stars on your roster. This number will increase as the tournament advances.

If MFs or DFs are listed lower down the roster (towards the FWs), then they are generally more likely to find themselves involved in the scoring than those MFs or DFs listed higher up towards the GK. Of course, there is no guarantee MFs & DFs listed closer to FWs will score more, but their chances are typically better.

Note on trades- After the first two rounds of group play, you can draft a completely new team. Unlimited trades. After the third and final round of group play, you are allowed SEVEN trades. After the first playoff round, you are allowed only FOUR trades. After the quarterfinals and semifinals you are allowed only THREE trades. Do not under any circumstances edit your old teams once play has started. If you want to trade a player, make a new post stating the trade and list your new team. (If any of that is unclear, watch the way other players do it and you'll get the idea very quickly.)

Scoring Points In Games

Rules for gaining points are as follows.
  • Goal by FW- 4 pts
  • Goal by MF- 5 pts
  • Goal by DF- 6 pts
  • Assist- 3 pts
  • Shutout, GK- 4 pts
  • Shutout, DF- 4 pts
  • Shutout, MF- 1 pt
  • Allows 1 goal, GK- 2 pts
  • Allows 1 goal, DF- 2 pts
  • 3 GK saves- 2 pts
  • Yellow Card- -1 pts
  • Red Card- -3 pts
Scoring Points With Predictions

Take a blind shot in the dark at these questions, or read the various columns offered by our writers to help you decide how to answer. Either way, luck is involved. But don't skip this- if you happen to have a lucky day, these are worth a ton of points all together.

5 POINT QUESTIONS

Who will score the most goals in the tournament?

Who will have the most assists in the tournament?

Which team will win the tournament?

Which goalkeeper will score the most total phantasy points in the tournament?

Which defender will score the most total phantasy points in the tournament?

Which midfielder will score the most total phantasy points in the tournament?

Which forward will score the most total phantasy points in the tournament?

GROUP PREDICTIONS

Predict the winner and runner up from each of the eight groups listed here. Predicting the winner is worth 3 points. The runner up is worth 1. If you select the correct two teams but have their positions reversed, you will be awarded 2 points.

BUY A TEAM

You can have a total salary of 100 million. The rosters with salaries again is listed here. Put together the highest scoring team you possibly can for 100 million or less. This team will not change throughout the tournament- it's just a one-time deal. At the finish of the tournament we'll see which person's 100-mill squad scored the most, and that person will gain 10 bonus points. Formations allowed are all those listed above, plus 3-4-3.
Use no more than TWO players from one team.

Shastanis Althreduin 08-24-2015 03:06 PM

How many points is it if a GK scores a goal? :Merisu:

Nilpaurion Felagund 08-25-2015 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin (Post 701267)
How many points is it if a GK scores a goal? :Merisu:

Infinity points. :Merisu:

*ShastaWolf intensifies*

the phantom 08-26-2015 12:06 AM

Infinity might be a bit much. How about 10,000?

Shastanis Althreduin 08-26-2015 02:29 AM

You mock, but all things are possible!

Legate of Amon Lanc 08-26-2015 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin (Post 701306)
You mock, but all things are possible!

Exactly. Do not forget that Shasta is a psychic, too. He says this and then it will happen, and then what? Then someone will get 10,000 points just because you didn't take that into account. Come on! Cut three zeros and we're game.

Kuruharan 08-26-2015 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc (Post 701311)
Exactly. Do not forget that Shasta is a psychic, too. He says this and then it will happen, and then what? Then someone will get 10,000 points just because you didn't take that into account. Come on! Cut three zeros and we're game.

I'm inclined to agree with Legate... :cool:

Boromir88 08-26-2015 04:44 PM

TTN Will bring it's Group previews very soon and then a little later unveil it's complete player rankings!

All the stats gathered from previous Arda Cups means we ranked each and every player by their positions. :D

Shastanis Althreduin 08-26-2015 11:10 PM

At least someone believes me. :rolleyes:

the phantom 08-27-2015 12:46 AM

If it will make you feel better, we can say that a GK goal is worth ten. But for ShastaWolf it's only worth two. :p

Nerwen 08-27-2015 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the phantom (Post 701340)
If it will make you feel better, we can say that a GK goal is worth ten. But for ShastaWolf it's only worth two. :p

Are you persecuting my beloved, phantom?:mad:

the phantom 08-27-2015 08:53 AM

NerWight goals and assists are now worth negative five.

Nilpaurion Felagund 08-27-2015 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the phantom (Post 701354)
NerWight goals and assists are now worth negative five.

And is a NerWight assist to ShastaWolf is worth negative ten thousand points? :Merisu: