The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   New members joining - question (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=18891)

Lalaith 05-25-2015 06:05 AM

New members joining - question

I've sent a young Tolkien fan of my acquaintance here as I thought he would enjoy the fellowship and scholarship of the Downs. He 'activated' his account a couple of days ago but his membership is still awaiting moderation. How long, generally, should this limbo period last?
I seem to remember my membership being up and running straight away, back in the Elder Days, but those were happier times, when it was enough to just speak "friend" and enter. I suppose with the coming of the Spambots out of the East, we are living in more suspicious times....

The Barrow-Wight 05-25-2015 06:38 AM

Lalaith,

Membership is moderated nowadays to reduce spammers, so new joiners must wait until I manually go through the list to prune the bad guys. I try to do this daily, but I was preoccupied with the three-day holiday weekend and completely forgot to check
it over the last few days. I've found your friend's application and have sent him/her an approval. Thanks for the question.

BW

Lalaith 05-25-2015 07:05 AM

And thank you! Both for bringing the Downs back to life and for going to the trouble of sifting through the membership by hand...must be a real pain.

Morthoron 05-26-2015 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lalaith (Post 696909)
And thank you! Both for bringing the Downs back to life and for going to the trouble of sifting through the membership by hand...must be a real pain.

Hopefully your friend's login name isn't X9J45YSZ! :D

Mithalwen 05-27-2015 03:04 PM

I am hoping that Golden Retriever Val is not a dog breeder advertising...

Inziladun 05-27-2015 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mithalwen (Post 696944)
I am hoping that Golden Retriever Val is not a dog breeder advertising...

You know, that could be short for Value. ;)

Lalaith 05-28-2015 02:32 PM

No, none of the above! I am very intrigued by the golden retriever....My protégée has been caught in moving-house wifi-down-limbo so not actually appeared yet.

Lalaith 07-22-2015 07:59 AM

Sorry to be a pain, but when I visited my young friend a few days ago he said he hadn´t been able to activate the link he was sent. I had a look and couldn´t activate it either, it went to ´page not found´. Should he just try to re-register under a different name?

Mithadan 07-24-2015 02:16 PM

I suggest that you reach out directly to BW on this issue. I know too little about the current software to even dare to try to look into this myself.

The Barrow-Wight 07-25-2015 05:51 AM

Have them reregister with a new name and we'll change it to whatever name they want when we get it working. Please PM me with the name they register under and I'll keep an eye out for it.

Thanks!
BW

Aganzir 09-17-2015 05:05 AM

Out of curiosity - have the spammers lifted the siege yet, or are they still waiting outside our gates?

Inziladun 09-17-2015 06:53 AM

I'm still seeing suspicious user names here and there, but it appears the defenses are holding.