The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The Tolkien Coming of Age Club 2 (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4665)

Estelyn Telcontar 09-12-2003 02:27 AM

The Tolkien Coming of Age Club 2

Our "old" ;) clubhouse has gotten too full; it's time to move to a new one. Welcome to all "old" members and to those who find their way here for the first time!

The membership requirement is
Quote:

you have been reading LotR and other Tolkien books for at least 18 years
For more information, check out the old "old" thread. (I know, that joke is getting "old"!)

Find yourself a rocking chair and tell us your stories of a life with LotR and Co. I won't be around for a couple of weeks, since I'll be in the States on a visit (North Dakota, Texas, Nebraska, for those who ask). However, I'm sure anyone new will be welcomed by the - nope, I'm not going there... Have a good time!

Hilde Bracegirdle 09-12-2003 03:35 AM

Wow, I'm glad this thread has become so active again. I've missed it.

Quote:

In exactly two months my hobbit self will be of age!!! WOOOHHOOOOO! Wish Mr. Frodo could be here...
Samwise - Congratulations! Perhaps we can put together a party and invite a dozen dozen hobbits from off the Barrow Downs! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Ealasaide - Now I think this time you are being too kind! Though the character description of Rauthain is based on one of those sketches. (Suddenly I feel like a cartoon chipmunk.)

Ealasaide 09-12-2003 06:43 AM

Does anybody remember the board game version of Lord of the Rings? I found mine the other day in the back of a closet. I'm missing a few cardboard counters, but the rest of it seems to be intact. My set included three games with maps:

War of the Ring: S.R. 1418 to 1419
Gondor: The Siege of Minas Tirith S.R. 1419
Sauron: The Battle for the Ring S.A. 3434

The only one I ever used to play was War of the Ring, but Sauron & the orcs always won!

Hilde - at first I didn't get the chipmunk reference, but now I do! hahaha! Oh, no, really -- I most protest. You are too kind! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ September 12, 2003: Message edited by: Ealasaide ]

The Saucepan Man 09-12-2003 08:04 AM

So this is the new place, eh? Seems good to me.

LotR games, eh? Now, where shall I start? Being a bit of a fan of boardgames and the like, I have quite a collection of LotR games.

Do you mean the old SPI wargame, Ealasaide? With the huge map of ME and tiny square cardboard counters for the characters and armies? I have that, and it is intact I believe, although I have not played it for many a year. As I recall, the wargame part of it always ended up in a stand-off and it inevitably came down to whether the Ringbearer was spotted entering Mordor and, if so, which player won the fight between the remaining Fellowship characters and the Nagul. It was all a rather predictable, given that there are only two (or possibly three) routes into Mordor. Still, I always really liked the artwork on the cards - the Hobbits and Gollum in particular.

Well, I could go on for quite a while about LotR boardgames, but its probably best that I simply link to my comments on this rather old thread called LotR Risk.

If anyone else shares my interest in LotR boradgames, I would be delighted to join them for a discussion there. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Ealasaide 09-12-2003 08:46 AM

Yes - the SPI wargame - that's the one!

I've got most of mine still in tact -- at least I still have all the major character pieces and cards. I'm pretty sure a few orcs and Rohirrim spearmen, though, have long gone AWOL. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Hmm.. I'll have to check out your comments in LotR Risk. I really love board games & the like, but I have fallen seriously out of touch with what is happening in terms of Tolkein-based games. I don't know what's out there anymore.

By the way -- I love your title: corpus cacophonous. That's wonderful!

[ September 12, 2003: Message edited by: Ealasaide ]

Alphaelin 09-13-2003 11:35 PM

Quote:

since I'll be in the States on a visit (North Dakota, Texas, Nebraska, for those who ask)
Darn! I wish you had mentioned you were going to be coming through before you left! I'm in Nebraska, if you check your mail while you're gone. In any case, have a safe and enjoyable trip, Estelyn.

Linnamalle 09-14-2003 10:56 AM

Glee unbounded! Sharon, I was in Borders today (many, many, many miles from home), and amazingly, there I found the two-CD set, Evening in Rivendell and Night in Rivendell by the TOlkien Ensemble. It was the last one. Thank you sooooo much, Sharon, for suggesting I look in Borders! I am *so* delighted, I was dancing in the aisles. Bless you, bless you...

If that weren't enough, the songbook for The Starlit Jewel also arrived in the mail before I left on travel, so that's in my satchel too... Linnamalle is deliriously happy. and feels that she truly has arrived in Rivendell and that the walk was worthwhile! Ah, the singing, the singing! Gee, I should tell the walkers too...

Orofaniel 09-15-2003 01:51 PM

Quote:

there I found the two-CD set, Evening in Rivendell and Night in Rivendell by the TOlkien Ensemble.
OOO, lucky you. I can't find those things aroud here. Someone gave me a link to a web site where I could buy The Tolkien Ensemble, but I haven't done it yet. I'm a bit sceptic on buying things over the net. Anyway is it so great that I should take the chance? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, I've heard about LOTR risk....but never played it. Is it just like normal risk with LOTR figures?

Orofaniel 09-16-2003 10:30 AM

Oh.....Right. I misunderstood. Sorry [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Linnamalle 09-18-2003 07:14 AM

Orofaniel,

I do enjoy the TOlkien Ensemble's work and I'd recommend the CDs. On all three CDs, I find some songs are great, some fair, and some awful. Like mark12_30, I find Eomer's song a huge disappointment. Neither do I enjoy the Frodo interpretation. But the elvish songs are good-- very Rivendellish! And Strider might have not had such a sophisticated singing voice-- but then again, he did grow up in Rivendell. Maybe he did.

Anyway, yes, I like them. You won't like all of it, but what CDs are there where you do like every song?

Of course, if it was REALLY from Rivendell, every single cut would be deliriously enchanting. Rivers of gold and whispering waves on western strands, and all that... which seems to be the opinion of that out-of-print Starlit Jewel cd... "Sung by Genuine Elves and Hobbits." LOL!

(edit)

Two other points: One, you are wise to be careful about buying over the Net, always make sure it's a secure server, never send a credit card number through regular email. And two: The little hammer icon at the top of each post is for editing, if you click on that you can edit your post.
[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ September 18, 2003: Message edited by: Linnamalle ]

Child of the 7th Age 09-18-2003 07:30 AM

Linamalle,

Glad you found the set?

What's the name of their very latest CD, and where did you manage to find that one?

Child

Linnamalle 09-18-2003 08:50 AM

Oh, I was counting the set as two CD's: Evning, and Night. The third I was counting, was "At Dawn in Rivendell" with Christopher Lee, which many places have in stock, including Borders (plenty of them) and Amazon.

I admit I'm puzzled why the "Dawn" CD is so readily available if Night and Evening aren't; maybe that's why they included Christopher Lee in "Dawn", for some New-Line-copyright-legal-thingy (similar to what sidelined Starlit Jewel?)? Red tape makes my head spin. And my stomach! Lol!

Linnamalle 09-26-2003 10:16 AM

One just never knows. While browsing in rec.music.filk (I think that was the group) on Google, my sister stumbled on a thread about LOTR music, and called me in to look at it. One of the posters mentioned The Startlit Jewel, and another poster wrote that he had "one or two " available. I emailed him, and he still had one. It arrived yeasterday, pristine, in its lovely plastic wrap... brand new. I almost felt guilty taking the wrapper off. Part of me wishes I hadn't, but how do you get the music out and leave the wrapper intact? Lol!

Anyway, it really is lovely. Marion Zimmer Bradley had a real gift. And the music, rather than having the level of classical polish that the Ensemble sets do, is a much more folksy, round-the-campfire sort of sound.

Arveleg 10-16-2003 09:04 AM

Well I read the books in the seventies, so I guess I qualify.

I also remember the SPI game! I had one, and it may still be up in dads attic where he put everything when I abruptly moved out.

Hilde Bracegirdle 10-16-2003 10:20 AM

Welcome to our corner of the Barrow Downs, Arveleg! Sounds like you qualify, and glad to have you join us.

andreadawn 10-21-2003 12:09 PM

Forgive me for posting here-I just started reading Tolkien's works about four years ago.*cowering from the tomatoes being hurled at me* However, what I lack in time I make up in enthusiasm (or is obsession a better word?) Also, being that I'm approaching 41 I felt a little elderly at the other "clubs". Thanks for letting me say Hi

[ October 25, 2003: Message edited by: andreadawn ]

Estelyn Telcontar 10-21-2003 12:52 PM

Welcome, andreadawn - we're not *that* particular about the rules here, so you are most welcome. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] If you like, share your experiences with LotR in your life with us. Are you collecting anything Tolkien-related or reading the book to others?

Hilde Bracegirdle 10-21-2003 03:17 PM

Welcome Andreadawn! The more the merrier, you won't be having any tomatoes from me. How did you find out about Middle Earth? Sounds like it was pre movie discovery. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

andreadawn 10-21-2003 03:37 PM

Thank you Estelyn and Hilde for your welcome. In reply to your questions; I found out about ME over 20 years ago (a friend of mine read The Hobbit and we were both into Led Zep) but I wasn't a "reader" back then. Fast forward to 2000, I have two young daughters who love Harry Potter, we've finished the books and what do we do now? A friend insisted that if we love HP we would love LOTR even more. needless to say, she was right. My husband and I read The Hobbit and the three books of LOTR out loud to the girls within the space of a year. I've since read The Silmarillion to them and on my own the Unfinished Tales, the Lost
Tales (book one) and Tolkien-Author Of The Century. I'm hooked!

[ October 25, 2003: Message edited by: andreadawn ]

Hilde Bracegirdle 10-21-2003 06:18 PM

Ah, see you are ahead of me! I started in on Lost Tales, but have decided to reread The Silmarillion first. It had been quite awhile since I first read it.

Guinevere 10-22-2003 03:41 PM

Hi Andreadawn! Mae govannen! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

It's nice to meet at least one other BD member who hasn't read LotR already as a teenager.(I feared I was the only one here...) Myself, I only discovered Tolkien at the age of 50 (!) because of my elder boy reading the Hobbit and LotR.(Before that I had been reading Harry Potter with him, like you! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )
It didn't take long and I was much more hooked than my son. I've since read the Silmarillion, UT, "Tree and Leaf" , Tolkien's letters, his biography and Shippey's "Tolkien, author of the century" . All this made me appreciate LotR even more on second and more readings. Plus all the fascinating and insightful threads I've read here in the forum. "Quotable quotes" have also become a favourite hobby. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Ealasaide 10-22-2003 08:07 PM

Quote:

I found out about ME over 20 years ago (a friend of mine read The Hobbit and we were both into Led Zep)
Sounds familiar! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I was really into Led Zep in the seventies, too! But, seriously, once you've read the books, Robert Plant's lyrics seem kind of silly:

Quote:

In the darkest depths of Mordor
I met a girl so fair
But, Gollum, the evil one
Crept up & slipped away with her...
What reasonable girl would run away with Gollum? And what was she doing in Mordor to begin with? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ October 22, 2003: Message edited by: Ealasaide ]

Hilde Bracegirdle 10-23-2003 04:22 AM

Sounds like a reference to an RPG to me, Robert Plant obviously deeply involved in fiction at the time! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

mark12_30 10-23-2003 04:38 AM

Robert Plant writing RPGs??? Now THAT sounds like a wraithish nightmare straight out of Mordor! With dreams like that I'd sail too just like Frodo did! Brrr! And to think they were once my favorite band.

Although... (blushes)... I still crank it when Kashmir comes on... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Bęthberry 10-23-2003 07:10 AM

Hello there Ealasaide,

Quote:

What reasonable girl would run away with Gollum? And what was she doing in Mordor to begin with? <http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/smilies/wink.gif>
Oh, indeed. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Bęthberry

Ealasaide 10-23-2003 07:53 AM

Quote:

Robert Plant writing RPGs??? Now THAT sounds like a wraithish nightmare straight out of Mordor!
Oh, come on! For all we know, he is a close friend of the Barrow Wight and writing alongside of us everyday under some cryptic nick! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Child of the 7th Age 10-23-2003 07:59 AM

I can assure you that a plot like that would be roundly turned down in the Shire. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

sharon

piosenniel 10-23-2003 09:49 AM

Sharon -

We could work with it! We just need to see some good character bios!

The Shire's first musical production . . . I can see it now . . .

[ October 23, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]

Hilde Bracegirdle 10-24-2003 11:03 AM

Bęthberry did that mean you fancy Gollum or Mordor or just up for a leading role? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:

Oh, come on! For all we know, he is a close friend of the Barrow Wight and writing alongside of us everyday under some cryptic nick!
Like Robert de Palantir?

[ October 24, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]

Mithadan 10-24-2003 02:45 PM

No, actually Mithadan.

Found a queen without a king,
she plays guitar and cries and sings...la la la..

Ealasaide 10-24-2003 06:32 PM

Oops! Sorry, Mithadan. Zep still rules! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

But, seriously... where were you going with the Girl/Gollum/Mordor scenario?

~ Ride a white mare in the footsteps of doom
Trying to find a woman who's never ever been born~ [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Hilde Bracegirdle 10-25-2003 06:39 AM

Quote:

But, seriously... where were you going with the Girl/Gollum/Mordor scenario?
Who me? I was try trying to understand Bęthberry, the cryptic aura's, rather cryptic comment! It sounds like she's pining for Gollum, the poor dear! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] And now she seems to have gone off and left us to sulk in a dark dank part of the Barrow Downs and left me wondering.

Hey, Mr. Mithadan can I have your autograph? Or how about a signature? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ October 25, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]

Ealasaide 10-25-2003 06:45 AM

Actually, Hilde, since Mithadan was implying that he was Robert Plant, I was trying to find out what on Middle Earth he was thinking when he wrote the Girl/Gollum/Mordor scenario. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ October 25, 2003: Message edited by: Ealasaide ]

Hilde Bracegirdle 10-25-2003 06:51 AM

Hail and Hello Ealasaide!

Yes, yes Mr. Mithadan, We're up for a good tale we are! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Bęthberry 10-25-2003 08:18 AM

Quote:

Who me? I was try trying to understand Bęthberry, the cryptic aura's, rather cryptic comment! It sounds like she's pining for Gollum, the poor dear! <http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/smilies/tongue.gif> And now she seems to have gone off and left us to sulk in a dark dank part of the Barrow Downs and left me wondering.
Always leave them wanting more!

Well, I never did buy that story Persephone told her mum about eating the pomegranate seeds. I figured Persephone wanted to be there in the first place. But was never really allowed to own up to that.

Ealasaide 10-25-2003 11:03 AM

Quote:

I can assure you that a plot like that would be roundly turned down in the Shire.
No, wait! Now that I've mulled it over a bit.. I think the Ramble On RPG could work! As long as we put together a few good bios, as Pio suggested:

Here's the main cast:
Four Noblemen of Gondor (names would have to be changed, of course!):
Robert - big, blond, heroic type with a strong romantic streak
Jimmy - dark, skinny wizard wannabe with a dark side
John Paul - the quiet one
John - Big, brawny, berserker type...

Girl: We'll call her Persephone (thanks, Bethberry)

Gollum

Here's the plot:
It takes place in the years prior to the War of the Ring when Sauron is gathering strength, his mind reaching out for the Ring. Persephone runs off to Mordor in the hopes of getting to Sauron. She's an ambitious girl. He's a single guy... who says he's not looking for a queen? She gets as far as the black gates when she is overtaken and "rescued" by our four intrepid heroes. Thinking her a damsel in distress, our Robert falls in love. Meanwhile, Persephone bides her time, waiting for a chance to escape.

Her escape comes in the form of Gollum! Having just come out of Mordor, he is sneaking around, trying to get away (prior to being captured by Aragorn). Persephone stumbles across him and, lo! He knows how to get into Mordor! She convinces him to help her. They slipped away. Robert is perplexed and heartbroken...

Okay. How do we end this thing? Anybody want to start a Planning Thread? [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

I know, I know....I have WAY too much time on my hands...

Bęthberry 10-25-2003 11:22 AM

*coughs* Ealasaide, the point is not that such a game cannot be done, but that it cannot be done in The Shire. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

No Dark Side stuff in The Shire. The Rangers won't allow it. Pio wouldn't even allow my "Ride to the Dark Side" game in The Shire. I should know. She told me so. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

It will have to play in Rohan.

mark12_30 10-25-2003 01:09 PM

That puts Mith the King of Angst as Romantic Lead again. Bravo! Hopefully Mho as Page. Where's the drummer coming from?

Burra would make a great Gollum.

Hilde Bracegirdle 10-25-2003 01:38 PM

Ah, thanks for the answer to my question Bęthberry, or rather the acknowledgement of it. Have you ever considered a political career? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

May I suggest a cameo role for Shelob? It would be so fitting to have her somehow involved in a Stairway to Heaven number. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

andreadawn 10-25-2003 03:18 PM

Methinks I hath created a monster with my mention of Led Zeppelin.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:25 PM January 09, 2004: Message edited by: andreadawn ]