The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What do elves do for fun? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5226)

Ainaserkewen 04-29-2003 02:08 PM

What do elves do for fun?

Or any other ME person for that matter?
You here about Gondorian boys playing in the streets, but elves? All you ever here them do is great deeds. They must do other stuff besides walking and doing great deeds.
What about the funny stuff that they wouldn't ever want anyone else to know? Do they have leaf collections or what?

Meela 04-29-2003 02:11 PM

I bet Haldir has a leaf collection! I can see it now! He stomps up to the Fellowship, and Aragorn mutters some blah:

Aragorn: we need- *gets cut off by Haldir holding up his hand*

Haldir bends down and picks up a leaf.

Haldir: wow! I haven't got one like this! Look at the colouring... *wanders off muttering and completely forgets about everyone and everything else*

I think elves camp out and have sleepovers. You know, like dancing round a fire in the woods at night and all. And tying Haldir up and forcing him to watch as they roast his leaf collection.

Meela 04-29-2003 02:14 PM

I think elves might read or go for walks. Generally very solemn and serious stuff. Reading up on elven history. Polishing old swords. Watering pot plants.

Ainaserkewen 04-29-2003 02:15 PM

I haven't laughed out loud at a post in a while, but that's just funny.
(falls of chair)(Continiues to laugh)(gets back on and continiues to type)
Maybe Gimli has a rock collection. Can you imagine them in Moria and Gimli stops left and right picking up rocks?
Maybe it was his fault that they were slowed down and then Gandalf fell!
What other activities would the fellowship do?

Meela 04-29-2003 02:17 PM

Men play a lot of chess. And have belching contests.
Dwarves mine. And mine. And mine. Oh, and did I mention they mined?

Meela 04-29-2003 02:19 PM

Actually, thinking of Rohan, men probably have simple chores like cleaning stables and sweeping the roads. A lot of them would have normal jobs, wouldn't they? Like blacksmiths and pedlars and wine merchants? Oh, and they spend their evenings in taverns.

Catherine 04-29-2003 02:20 PM

Well the elves in Rivendell always sat or danced by the fire sang songs and poetry. I think thats what they did.

Ainaserkewen 04-29-2003 02:28 PM

Mondieu, I would get bored if all I did was danced, sang and told stories. Wouldn't you? I mean, I have to create, to learn, to interac, to have relationships(Intimate and friendly) I have to go places and explore, make new friends, experience new things. Thats what life is for.
Yah, I'd get bored.

Arafangwen 04-29-2003 10:42 PM

I think the whole "campfire singing reciting peotry stuff" is correct but I also think they did stuff like exploration partys, board games(checkers, chess, and so on) that required thought, and card games of many kinds, possibly even gambling for that matter.....

Lobelia 04-29-2003 11:30 PM

Well, they seem to be right into handcraft, jewellery-making and such (look at Feanor), and I bet there are Elvish gourmet cooks. And rope-making! : - ). They'd leave the armouring to the dwarves, or did at one time. I see Rivendell as a sort of hippie commune with a leader, where everyone does their own creative thing, but also chips into the work. There may well be pointy-eared servants as there are in Mirkwood, but we never saw them.

Raefindel 04-29-2003 11:56 PM

They go to Elvis concerts. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Arwen_Evenstar 04-30-2003 12:02 AM

I have a mental image of three elves putting a bag full of animal poop on elronds doorstep and setting it on fire.... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Don't ask..... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Raefindel 04-30-2003 12:03 AM

Sounds like fun to me! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Mitheithel 04-30-2003 11:11 AM

Quote:

Mondieu, I would get bored if all I did was danced, sang and told stories. Wouldn't you?
Well, the Elves were not bored. That`s what makes them so special. All they ever wanted was to think about the very essence of life, sing old songs ect. That was because they were immortal. Hey, if you had lived some thousands of years, you would become melancolic too!

Sophia the Thunder Mistress 04-30-2003 03:21 PM

I hear they're experts at those hair wraps with the colored string. Charge you a fortune however...

I can see Galadriel getting into a good Bake-off. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] lembas anyone?

Luinalatawen 04-30-2003 05:40 PM

I'm going to take the logical approach and say that they are so old and have been through a lot, so they don't say to themselves, "I'm bored, I need something fun to do." But I agree that they do artsy things to develop their culture.

[ April 30, 2003: Message edited by: Luinalatawen ]

Lindril Arvilya 05-03-2003 10:28 AM

They sit in the basement, eating pizza and playing Nintendo.

Arestelwen 05-03-2003 03:35 PM

perhaps Rivendell was like a reality-show.....
LOL
I can just imagine the ents playing pinball...
*Treebeard looks at the shiny little ball... the ball goes down...down....down....down...*

GaladrieloftheOlden 05-03-2003 03:57 PM

I can just imagine Rohirrim children playing "horsie" with their friends or parents [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~Menelien

Everdawn 05-03-2003 10:59 PM

Elves bake cookies...duh! did no one else figure that one out?...lol

Feanor of the Peredhil 05-04-2003 04:54 PM

Back in the good old days they woke up trees.

Everdawn 05-05-2003 01:09 AM

I still say cookies...

Anything but Arwen 05-07-2003 06:49 AM

Isnt it obvious! THEY HANG AROUND ON THE DOWNS!
if they had a computer of course...

Meela 05-07-2003 07:07 AM

*waves her hand*

Yeh, we few who have computers...
Waking up trees is sooo last millennum!

GaladrieloftheOlden 05-07-2003 09:01 AM

Lol, Meela. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Quote:

Back in the good old days they woke up trees.
*giggles insanely*]

~Menelien

Ainaserkewen 05-07-2003 09:43 AM

Testing Testing...