The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The Sea-Stone Sword (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=18708)

Hookbill the Goomba 04-08-2014 10:56 AM

The Sea-Stone Sword

Dear Barrow Downers,

Some of you may be aware that I, Hookbill the Goomba, have written a book and it is getting published this year. Legitimately published by an actual publisher that has actual people in it and there will be actual physical copies that you can hold in your actual hands. And there will be digital copies you can hold in your digital hands, too.
Anyway, the book has been a long time coming and I can definitely say that I would never have finished it without The Barrow Downs, and specifically the community that has grown here. Some of you are people I would legitimately consider some of my best friends and this website has been the source of so much inspiration, encouragement, and enjoyment over the years.
As such, the book will have the dedication;

Quote:

For the Barrow Downers
Because you all helped me make it happen. There were people like Aganzir, Thinlomine, Volo, Encaitare, and Kath who read early drafts and gave me detailed critiques that helped shape it and make it so much better.
Then there's the website as a whole. This place is my internet home, almost. Even though I don't comment and post as much as I should, it still feels like a welcoming and beautiful place to come and visit. Everyone here has helped me become a better person, and a better writer. I hope to improve even more over the years to come.
From Mount Zoom, The Downer Newspaper, the Phantom and Alien, and all the Crazy Captions, I hope my ridiculous contributions to this site haven't been too much of an annoyance on you all. Thank you all so, so much for being here for me.

Now for shameless plugging!

The book is called The Sea-Stone Sword.
It is being published by Kristell-Ink, an imprint of Grimbold Books.
The release date is the 21st of June 2014, and there will be a launch party in Oxford to celebrate. (If at least 30 people sign up to come, then Waterstones will let me do a signing there, too!) This will also involve drinks at the Eagle and Child, or Lamb and Flag, depending on numbers and preferences.

It can be pre-ordered RIGHT NOW! For UK people, you can get it from Waterstones, Blackwells, and Amazon.
International people can go to Book Depository, who will ship it world-wide FOR FREE!

Thank you all again for everything the Barrow Downs has meant to me. And to The Barrow Wight Himself... I am sorry for all the stories in the newspaper. BUT THE PEOPLE DESERVED TO HEAR THE TRUTH!

wilwarin538 04-08-2014 11:11 AM

You rock dude! So happy for you, and can't wait to read it! :D Also glad I saw this to know the Book Depository shipped for free to Canada, totally pre-ordered this morning from Waterstones and paid the 30 bucks in shipping :p Fixed it now though, haha. :cool:

CONGRATS!!!

Bêthberry 04-08-2014 11:16 AM

Sweet of you, Hooky, to acknowledge this place. I will be at the book launch if there's a skype component. If I order a copy from Book Depository, will it come with your signature? Or will I have to bring the book to an Oxonmoot where you can sign it?

And I'm thrilled for you! Congratulations. And keep writing,you mad Dead Whovian.

Hookbill the Goomba 04-08-2014 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bêthberry (Post 690553)
If I order a copy from Book Depository, will it come with your signature? Or will I have to bring the book to an Oxonmoot where you can sign it?

Ah, 'fraid not. You'll have to bring it across the pond and shove it under my nose. :D

Gwathagor 04-08-2014 12:33 PM

Aww.

Morthoron 04-08-2014 03:41 PM

Congratulations, Hook!

We are all quite proud that one of our fledgling wights has flown the coop...or in this case the Barrow. Good luck to you and the book.

Inziladun 04-08-2014 04:54 PM

Well done, Hookbill! I'll have to have the physical tree-killing edition, of course. I don't hold with reading digitalmongery, whether it reads well or no. :D

Galadriel55 04-09-2014 08:58 PM

Congrats Hook! :D That's wonderful news. Wish you luck with the last editing bits and publishing stuff. That's so cool!!! *Eagerly awaiting the final product*

Mister Underhill 04-10-2014 02:12 AM

Congratulations, Hookbill!

Faramir Jones 04-10-2014 12:34 PM

Excellent news!

That's excellent news, Hookbill! Congratulations on the publication. :D If you're coming to the Oxonmoot, you'll find Downers and non-Downers with copies for you to sign... :)

Nerwen 04-10-2014 11:07 PM

Congratulations!:smokin:

Snowdog 04-15-2014 04:38 AM

Congratulations and way to go Goomba! May it be a good read, and I'll get one should it be available here in Oz.

Elyna of Rivendell 04-16-2014 02:38 AM

Wow congrats! Thats an amazing achievement!!!:D

Guinevere 04-30-2014 04:04 PM

Belated congratulations!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba (Post 690551)
and there will be actual physical copies that you can hold in your actual hands.

I am happy to hear that :) it will enable me to actually read your book!

Hookbill the Goomba 06-18-2014 03:42 PM

So, hello again peoples!

I got my author copies of The Sea-Stone Sword and thought I'd share it with you!

http://i60.tinypic.com/24q1so8.jpg

And also the wonderful dedication page...

http://i60.tinypic.com/2n6rocj.jpg

Thank you all for being such a supportive and friendly community! I love you all deeply and would give you all a hug if I could :)

Lotrelf 06-18-2014 08:46 PM

Congrates, and good luck for your book!

Galadriel55 06-18-2014 10:20 PM

Congratulations!!! :D That's amazing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba (Post 692034)
And also the wonderful dedication page...

http://i60.tinypic.com/2n6rocj.jpg

Hook, you're so adorable!... That is so cute! *sniff* Now I think every single person here owes it to read your book, no excuses. :-) And sometime in the unforseeable future, I am coming over to the You-Kay and getting your signature on the inside of the cover. :smokin:

Hookbill the Goomba 06-22-2014 01:36 PM

So, the book is out as of yesterday! I had a wonderful time in Oxford, visiting the professor's old haunts and seeing Barrow Downers!
There is a video of the presentation I gave if anybody is interested in it...

HERE

Also, if you want further Barrow Downs related publications, I also wrote a companion piece to The Sea-Stone Sword; it's a short story that has a character called Lomi Thinlomine. CAN YOU GUESS WHO SHE WAS INSPIRED BY? ;) She is also a creature called a 'Peng'. So very subtle!
It's called The Spire of Frozen Fire and is 77p. :)

I hope the admins don't kick me off for this kind of advertising malarky! But in my defense, the Downs is advertised in the book, so I think that makes us even! :smokin:

Kuruharan 06-26-2014 07:18 PM

I too wish to extend belated congratulations on your accomplishment.

Hookbill the Goomba 06-27-2014 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuruharan (Post 692400)
I too wish to extend belated congratulations on your accomplishment.

Thanks. :)

TheGreatElvenWarrior 06-27-2014 10:30 AM

I've happily ordered my copy. I'll read it soon, as long as you don't mind me finishing up On The Road before I start your book, Hookbill. How exciting!

Thinlómien 06-27-2014 10:51 AM

I got my copy today and I'm very excited!

Hookbill the Goomba 10-28-2014 02:27 PM

Hello groovy people!

If you're interested, I got invited to give a talk at Royal Holloway University London. There to talk about Tolkien and the inspiration behind The Sea-Stone Sword. I gave the Barrow Downs a name-check, too. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP_B...lMFcPXw3L2cKIp

It's in part 2 or 3 I mention the Downs, I think? I could be wrong. But, yes. You guys are the best peoples. :D