The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Movies (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   EE fan credits (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=9785)

Iaurhirwen 01-27-2004 07:40 PM

EE fan credits

I'm sure you all know that during the credits for the movies there are listed the charter members of the Lord of the Rings Fan Club. Usually, I keep the credits on simply to listen to the great music that accompanies it but just now I took a glance at the screen as saw the name <I>Sir Ian McKellen</I>.<P>Did anybody else spot this too? Are there any more familiar names on that list?

Finwe 01-27-2004 07:54 PM

Hmmm... I never noticed that. Now I'm going to have to watch the credits over again, and keep a look-out for any familiar names.

doug*platypus 01-27-2004 08:14 PM

Interesting! But what does a "charter member" mean? Could Ian McKellen be kind of like an honorary member? He is definitely worthy of the distinction, along with Christopher Lee and Sean Bean at least (IMHO). I can't imagine him actually being a member of the Tolkien Society. I think he's probably too busy with acting and wild Hollywood parties, unlike the rest of us!

Finwe 01-27-2004 08:23 PM

I know that Christopher Lee is <I>THE</I> Tolkien fan, and he reads LotR at least once every year, and has actually <I>met</I> the Professor. That, in my mind, equals fandom!

Neferchoirwen 01-27-2004 08:32 PM

I've yet to get my copy of the Two Towers EE, but on the FotR EE, I spotted Elijah's and Dominic's names. I've even spotted Cate Blanchett's names. I'm pretty sure that most of the cast members are there...including their family members (probably)---imagine Steve Tyler on the list! (but it's not likely anyways...unless my eyes skipped a lot of names on the T-names) <P>Speaking of music...I spotted a TT soundtrack complete with the extended music (or added music, whichever) for movie 1. Is this comingo ut any time soon, or will there be a 3-cd set coming out?<p>[ 9:35 PM January 27, 2004: Message edited by: Neferchoirwen ]

Feanor of the Peredhil 01-29-2004 05:43 PM

I actually managed to watch the fan credits, and, surprise surprise, most of the actors (and actresses) are in the Official Tolkien fan club:<P>Billy Boyd<BR>Dom Monaghan<BR>Sir Ian McKellan<BR>Christopher Lee<BR>Elijah Wood<P>just to name a few. First I was surprised, but then I figured... small wonder. They'd been living in ME for 3 years, how could you do that without becoming addicted?

Eruwen 01-29-2004 06:33 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I spotted a TT soundtrack complete with the extended music (or added music, whichever) for movie 1. Is this comingo ut any time soon, or will there be a 3-cd set coming out?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I know there's a 3-CD set for the original versions. I saw that one at FYE when I bought my ROTK soundtrack, and I must admit I've thought of whether they will have extended version soundtracks or not, but I have not been able to find any info on them. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Billy Boyd<BR>Dom Monaghan<BR>Sir Ian McKellan<BR>Christopher Lee<BR>Elijah Wood<P>just to name a few.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The actors have actually joined the fan club? Hmmm...maybe this gives me the incentive to join...maybe.

Gorwingel 01-29-2004 09:03 PM

Yeah, they are all there, and Peter Jackson is there too!<BR>I think some of them may be honorary lifetime members. But others have actually admitted that they are quite smitten with the world of Middle Earth, and may have actually joined voluntarily.<P>But for me, even thought there are many actors from the films, and many people who are members. I still don’t think I would join. It is a little too movie centered and commmercial for me.

Luthien_ Tinuviel 01-30-2004 05:23 PM

I noticed that a while back. I was actually looking for it. Seriously. I expected something like that, and, well, I was right. Besides the ones that have already been mentioned, I'm pretty sure that Sean Astin and Billy Boyd are on the list, too.

Armetiel 02-01-2004 12:13 AM

Sean Astin I saw.<P>Wood was the first person ever to join the club...just a random fact. He said he wanted to make sure his name appeared in the credits lol

mollecon 02-01-2004 12:31 PM

About the soundtracks: From what I've heard, there will be three 2-CD boxes (one for each movie) with some sorta 'EE' versions of the soundtracks - I don't know when they are supposed to come out, though.

Dininziliel 02-01-2004 06:59 PM

This sounds like one of those things everyone knows about but a few of us who left the information line to go get a soda. Just what is the "Official LotR Fan Club"? I've looked for it online, but haven't seen/recognized it.<P>Does anyone know enough about it to tell what it is, how it started, who or what started it, how one joined, is it closed, and all that stuff. I guess after 36 years of reading the books, I've never gotten over never being asked or notified! I have to confess that it would be a thrill to see my name in the credits--even if I did need a magnifying glass to read it!

Gilthalion 02-09-2004 06:18 PM

Indeed!<P>Is it too late to get in on the last movie? Where do you join? How do you join?

Ashton 02-09-2004 09:18 PM

I have seen the fan club list and guess what. Viggo Mortenson is an apostate. He is not on the list!! Isn't that just the most awful thing. I can't believe it. Is it also a coincidence that he doesn't do the Cast Audio Commentary? Maybe he is too busy making his next movie to do any Post LotR things.

Jjudvven 02-10-2004 11:34 AM

I remember reading when I first joined the fan club that Elijah Wood was the first person in the world to join the fan club. That was three years ago, but I think it was Elijah that joined it. Unfortunately for me I didn't have enough money to join for all three years and only got my name into the EE FotR.

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 02-10-2004 02:16 PM

You got your name onto any credits at all???!!! Wow!!! What's to complain about?!<BR>What is this fanclub? Is it a movie thing or what?

Jjudvven 02-16-2004 06:03 PM

Don't get me wrong! I'm not complaining, I'm quite happy to have my name go down forever in history! :) But I would have liked to have been able to afford the three year deal. :(

Yeah it's a fan club, started something like three or four years ago. It cost me 40$ or so. The three year deal was like 100$, and for a poor 14 year old, that was a wee bit too expensive. And yes, the fan club was affiliated with the movie and gave exclusive news and the like every month with their magazine.

Alexus Varus 02-17-2004 01:23 AM

Quote:

I have seen the fan club list and guess what. Viggo Mortenson is an apostate. He is not on the list!! Isn't that just the most awful thing.
Maybe he just didnt want to join, or maybe he joined under an alias.... John Smith, very suspect people...