The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Elvenhome (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Golden Perch Discussion Thread (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=12878)

Tevildo 09-02-2006 09:37 AM

Many thanks, Glirdan! No problem with the wait as I need to do some posts in another game.

In the meantime, anyone is welcome to grill Tollers, though he will likely come up with an unbelievable response. :D

Mithalwen 09-04-2006 02:42 PM

Let me know if I have finished Skirvir's tale prematurely I can edit ... in the meantime I have taken advantage of Dowland :rolleyes:

Noinkling 09-04-2006 03:09 PM

Mithalwen

Quote:

Yet when the the appreciation for Skirvir's tale that held interest for all the diverse folk gathered at the Perch, seeing as hobbits, men, elves and dwarves had all featured, (the elves not in a wholly positive light it had to be said) had subsided, Carantilion found his voice and lost his self-consciousness in the delight of making music for an appreciative audience.
Skirvir was outside the inn, on the porch, telling his story to the four Hobbit children. The only other listeners were Arry’s and Celuien’s characters standing in the doorway, Tam Lin's Elf wandered up, and at the end, the innkeeper’s wife. His tale ended out there and now the children and he have come back into the inn.

So . . . did you mean your Elves came out to the front of the inn, too?

Mithalwen 09-05-2006 04:48 AM

Sorry I misunderstood another post ...will modify actually will remove since can't redo til this afternoon...

And I actually missed the whole crucial post of yours Noinkling and another clue so need to rework ...
Kath I've bagged the harp but if youwant ot proceed go without me!

Tevildo 09-05-2006 12:17 PM

Forest Elf, Volo,

The ball is in your court. :)

Lilly 09-05-2006 02:57 PM

Kath & Mith

Little Taffy has crept up to the tabel where the Dwarves and Elves are and blurted out a question to Cir and Cir.

Valesse 09-06-2006 08:22 AM

(I hope, I hope I'm doing this right. If not just delete me :( )

NAME: Valesseka

RACE: Human

WEAPONS: A "stave" which is actually the remains of a broken pitch fork and a hatchet.

APPEARANCE: Long mousey brown hair with a fair face. Muscular and tall build, but not completely free of "pudge". She proudly wears a glittering brooch which is glaringly out of place on her weather and care worn clothing.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Vain and quick to assumption, perhaps even a bit fickle in her thinking, Valesseka is used to hard work and long hours, but apparently not used to much casual interaction with different races or social classes from her own, but she is learning.

HISTORY: Coming from a rural group who aren't prone to much travel, Valesseka once secretly joinned an challenge which lead her across Arda. Now back near her homeland, Valesseka's pace has slowed dramatically.

She is the second daughter, and fourth child of her parent's, who raised each of their children to have good manners and common courtesy-- even if Valesseka does forget this at times.

Volo 09-06-2006 10:53 AM

Hurray! Some famous people joining! Or is it so Valesse? Is Valleseka the same person as in The Great Golden Horde?

Valesse 09-06-2006 03:26 PM

Why yes-indeed-y it is, Volo. :p

Volo 09-07-2006 09:12 AM

By the way, how do we use money here so that it's Tolkien-like. Aren't some of us using too big coins to pay for stuff. I mean, a pony costs four silver pennies in Bree and even to Butterbur 30 silver pennies was a big summ. Ok, I know there is more information on this matter elsewhere, but just to tell the other members about the use of too big money...

Colren paid with a golden coin, because he doesn't have smaller money.

Folwren 09-07-2006 12:21 PM

Welcome, Vallesse. Glad to see a new person joining. :)

I don't know about the money question, Volo. I really don't keep sharp tabs on forms of currency in any story that I've ever written. I should, really, but I don't. Do you really want me to find out?

-- Folwren

Volo 09-07-2006 12:56 PM

Not really, I'm not soooo much into Tolkien that I can't enjoy my time with a "mistake" like this... :) Just to clarify this matter in case I messed up.

Child of the 7th Age 09-07-2006 01:11 PM

Hi, there! I am no expert on Shire money, but I know a bit about medieval currency. However, this is not the last word on things, but my personal opinion....

The Shire would likely have had copper pennies and haypennies, silver pennies (undoubtedly worth more) and something equivalent to a gold sovereign. Also possibly a three penney piece, four penney piece, and a six pence. The penney would have been the basic unit of coinage.

Tolkien mentions that "silver pennies" were paid out in the purchase of Bill the Pony. A pony is a fairly large purchase. Likely copper pennies would be used for food and for a night's lodging. Silver pennies would only be involved with larger purchases or a longer stay at the Inn. Gold coins would normally be reserved for larger transactions. You'd get a lot of change back if you paid for a night's lodgings with a gold coin!

The actual value of medieval coins was their weight in precious metal. This is unlike modern money, which is a "token" currency. However, Tolkien seems to have set the Shire in a "later period" than a place like Rohan so the money may have been more standardized. Of course, the guests at the Inn would also bring currency from their homelands so you probably had a real mishmash of different coins!

I'll try and check and see if I can see any links with more information. If anyone has more precise info, please go ahead and share it too. Hope this helps.

EDIT. Can't seem to find any pertinent links. The Shire Post website does sell "imaginery" shire coins of the type described above. Pio may possibly have more info on this (or she may not :) )

Cami Goodchild, Shire Mod

Mithalwen 09-08-2006 01:24 PM

Lily, My Cir is talking to Taffy to make sure he knows what he is asking for!

Kath 09-08-2006 02:22 PM

Aw does that mean we're not singing the song you posted before? I liked that one.

Mithalwen 09-09-2006 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kath
Aw does that mean we're not singing the song you posted before? I liked that one.

Oh yes I shall fit that in but I think I shall have to take Taffy's sad and raise it... that was one of the jollier lute songs ..

Anguirel 09-10-2006 07:33 AM

A character from me...

I had a brief period playing with a Hobbit at the Dragon, Artifondo Dwellover, who was in fact my first character here. My Golden Percher-who will drop in, I fear, only occasionally-is his grandfather.

NAME: Mister Gandrio Dwellover

RACE: Hobbit

APPEARANCE: Gandrio is stocky and of normal Hobbit height, but moves with determined grace. Wiry brown hair in some abundance covers his hair and feet. His green eyes look rather wary, but his smile is reassuring. He dresses neatly but in plain enough clothes, dirtied often by the toils of the field.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: A proud and upright Hobbit, Gandrio is strictly truthful and can sometimes seem priggish and stern. He has rarely been heard to laugh. He has an exceedingly good ear, though, and can play the flute and viol well enough; singing he finds slightly disreputable, though he appreciates it in others. Young Mr Dwellover is known everywhere for a hard worker, a reliable hand and a credit to his mother Romilia, but perhaps slightly dull company. He has few close friends outside his family. Gandrio is known for very good taste in wine and cheese, though he does not overindulge in either.

HISTORY: Gandrio is the only child of Ernifondo and Romilia Dwellover, due to the early death of his father, who married late. He has been brought up strictly and correctly by his mother Romilia to look after the Dwellover farm with conscientiousness. His main companions are his cousins, older married men; he is unused, it must be said, to the company of Hobbit lasses. After coming of age five years ago, he has been seen at the Golden Perch more often, but more because it is the sort of thing a fully-grown Hobbit should do than because he actually enjoys it.

Mithalwen 09-10-2006 01:24 PM

Kath, I have had Cir take on the usurpers with the fall of Gil galad ... so I think the mood will soon need lightening before everyone starts crying in their beer!!

If you want that lute song it is here I substituted Arien for Cynthia....

Forest Elf 09-10-2006 03:54 PM

Sorry that I haven't been here to post, my laptop's internet isn't working...and I'm on vacation, so it's been kinda hard to find time to post...I was planning on posting when I'm not doing anything, but with the laptop's net not working, it'll be a bit. But I will post today!

Folwren 09-10-2006 06:38 PM

Vallesse, don't go anywhere with your character yet. . .I didn't see your post until today and now I'm getting around to writing one in reply. Later this evening I'll have Dick over to see to your character. :)

-- Folwren

Kath 09-11-2006 11:00 AM

Ok thanks Mith. I'll pop that up in a post when it looks like it'll fit.

Mithalwen 09-11-2006 11:16 AM

That is ok .... will you post nest or are you too tied up with stuff.... I think I should probably say something to Taffy ... which might have been best at the end of my last post...

Kath 09-11-2006 11:20 AM

I can post now, or at least soon, might have to run for tea in a minute, but if you PM me with what you wanted to say to Taffy I can include it in mine.

Lilly 09-11-2006 12:48 PM

I'll hold off then with Taffy's comments until one or the other of the Cirs says what you want to say. :)

- Lilly

Mithalwen 09-11-2006 12:52 PM

oh Lilly you don't have to.. I was only going to ask Taffy what he thought of it so I am quite happy for you to post that if you want to get going before Kath!

Kath 09-11-2006 02:07 PM

Lilly that would probably be better so why don't you go ahead and post. Just put in Cir's question and run with it. :)

Lilly 09-11-2006 03:09 PM

Rather than speak for Cir, I had Taffy come up with a question of his own.

:D

- Lilly

Mithalwen 09-12-2006 01:43 PM

Ok ..Taffy has his answer, and Kath can start something a bit more cheerful...

Kath 09-13-2006 06:16 AM

Alright Mith, we're cheering the audience back up again. :D

Farael 09-14-2006 11:42 PM

Well, it's been a while since I last wrote on an RPG.... good ol' Osmod, he suffered through my inexperience as a writer. Will my newborn character fare any better? only time will tell... but one thing is for sure. Reading through the last fifty or so posts of the Perch I've decided that... I want in!

Disclaimer: I would like to note that anyone who wants to interact with me (and you all are encouraged to do so) should keep in mind that I am on a busy schedule and that I might take a few days to respond to any post. Furthermore, I'm trying to commit myself to writing only well thought-out posts, which makes things all the worse. Yet one thing I can guarantee you, I'll do my best to make it worth the wait! Let's just hope my best goes better than poor ol' Robby's (read below)

NAME: Robby Appledore

RACE: Human

WEAPONS: None

APPEARANCE: A young, fit man, Robby is one to get lost in a crowd. Or at least a crowd of men, he might stick out among hobbits as he is somewhat taller than most. Hobbits that is, he is not too tall for a man. He has brown hair to go along with brown eyes and a big broad smile always at the ready.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Robby is a musician. Or so he will tell anyone who asks. And many other people who did not ask but he thought they should now as well. Now, his accomplishments as a musician are well… there are no accomplishments to speak of. Yet unabated Robby has decided that what he lacks is not skill but inspiration, and so he has set himself on the road with naught but some money and the clothes on his back.

HISTORY: (Can be as brief as you wish): Robby is the seventh, and youngest son of the Appledore family. As such, there has never been much work around the farm for him, partially due to his six able-bodied older brothers taking up all the good jobs and partially because of a genuine lack of interest in the farming business. It would be difficult for one to say that his artistic vocation was nurtured in his home, and so Robby finally built up courage to leave. Walking without a guide or a map, he has gone looking for adventures at the unlikeliest place of all. The Shire.

Boromir88 09-15-2006 01:04 PM

Quote:

Reading through the last fifty or so posts of the Perch I've decided that... I want in!
I felt the same. :)

Name: Edric Gulwine ('Eddie' to his closest friends and family)

Race: Human - Rohan

Appearance: Edric is taller than your average man from Rohan with light brown hair (that is starting to get grey roots). However, his face fits his jolly personality as there are barely any signs of aging, and he has a radiant youthful appearance. He has a dark skin tone and bright blue eyes that still contain that 'glimmer' of hope.

Personality/Strength/Weaknesses: Edric is a jolly man, always trying to make conversation and meet new people. Sometimes once you get into a conversation with Eddie it's hard to get him to stop, as people don't want to be rude and cut him off. However, with Eddie around it's hard to get in a word. No one wants to stop him, as he is such a nice and sweet man always looking for conversation. However, sometimes his constant chatter and a need to talk gets annoying. Especially when Edric starts forcing his own opinion and starts interrupting everyone else.

History: Edric is the oldest of four other siblings (all of whom are sisters). At the age of 15 his father, Elric, passed away leaving him as the only male in the family. After the death of his mother (Freda), when Edric was 40, he decided there was no reason to stay in Rohan anymore. As he soon got tired of King Fengel and all of his sisters now had families of their own. That's when Eddie decided to go to Minas Tirith, as many of his friends had gone to Gondor to get away from Fengel. But not too long after, the grave and grim people of Gondor was not right for his personality. He felt unhappy and that he was growing tired and worse...bored. So, Edric decided to pack up what he could carry again, and this time set out West to find the place that was right for him.

piosenniel 09-15-2006 01:42 PM

OK, I think I've got everyone's character listed/linked HERE.

Let me know if I've missed anyone.

Welcome to all the newcomers to the Perch! :)

~*~ Pio :D

In the still of the night, in the world's ancient light . . . I'll be with you when the deal goes down . . . ~ Bob Dylan

Folwren 09-15-2006 02:01 PM

I am very happy to see you three (Anguirel -whenever you hop into the game -, Farael, and Boromir) join us! Hope you enjoy your stay. :D

And thanks, Pio, for your links and all.

I hope to post sometime this afternoon, but seeing as time has fled from me all day as it is, I highly doubt I'll have time. If I do not get a post up today, someone else is going to have to let Farael's character into the Perch, because I probably won't be able to do it sooner than Sunday, and even then, it might be late. :(

-- Folwren

Volo 09-15-2006 02:09 PM

Sorry for writing a rather bad post, but I just had to answer Tollers... This is my first "RPG" (I know it isn't one really) ever and I'm out of lie-ideas. Just that I have invented a story of some kind for Colren and now it's hard to invent an other unreal story for him... Please don't ask much more about him at the moment, please. I'm really out of ideas, don't challenge me now.

Tevildo 09-19-2006 11:31 PM

Ah, Volo, you are off the hook. Gable has returned! I've rudely elbowed my way into the conversation at the table, but feel free to respond or ignore as the spirit moves you.

Tam Lin 09-20-2006 03:33 AM

Noinkling - I've used the three Dwarves sparingly as we agreed.

Carry on as you wish.

piosenniel 09-23-2006 03:33 PM

Volo

Check your PM's please.

~*~ Pio, Shire Moderator

Volo 09-24-2006 12:32 AM

Yes, sorry. I'll try not to make a mistake (like that) again.

Folwren 09-24-2006 08:42 AM

How far are people from finishing up conversations? Are you all ready to move on?

I am sorry about my next to no posting for Dick. ... I find there are no excuses.

Anyhow, tell me when everyone thinks things are winding down enough to close the day and we can go to the next day. . .

-- Folwren

Volo 09-24-2006 09:05 AM

I think Colren won't be saying much today after he gets an answer. I have a strange feeling that he'll go to read some letters, that can be any day any time.