The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Cailín and Eomer would like to announce their engagement (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=16267)

Eomer of the Rohirrim 02-01-2010 03:21 PM

Cailín and Eomer would like to announce their engagement

Hello all. Wonderful news! Cailín and myself, Eomer of the Rohirrim, have recently become engaged to be wed. There are a few Downers who already knew we were on that path but now, with the acquisition of a beautiful ring, it's official enough to announce to our favourite internet community.

Though Cailín is not an active poster these days, preferring to haunt these parts silently, she was rather busy on here a few years ago - especially in the Werewolf games. In fact, that's where we first met! You know how it goes: he's the wolf, she's the Seer, she dreams of him, they are both massacred bloodily, and it's all very romantic.

When it emerged on the 'What do you assign to Mordor?' thread that Cailín was negotiating a year abroad in Aberdeen, Scotland (or God's Ain Toon as it's usually called) we started PMing, and chatted amiably enough to decide an RL meeting might be appropriate. Things went swimmingly, and a few weeks later we were an item. Her year at Aberdeen University ended, and I decided to return with her to her homeland of the Netherlands in 2007.

We've since realised that we can put up with each other well enough, and have agreed to take the plunge into marriage. So there you have it. We understand it's not the most original thing, the whole Barrow Downs wedding, but we thought you'd like to know.

So thank you Barrow Downs!

Inziladun 02-01-2010 03:24 PM

Congratulations! All the best to both of you!

Formendacil 02-01-2010 03:31 PM

In the same way that the two of you jumped on the Downs Couple Bandwaggon nice and early, I'd like to hop aboard the congratulations bandwaggon before that gets passé, and offer my sincerest congratulations to you both, Eomer and Cailín.

Although, like as not, most of us wouldn't be able to make such an event, can we hope for getting gold-lettered invitations to the wedding, ala the Long-Awaited Party? :D

Pitchwife 02-01-2010 03:47 PM

Yeah, another Downer couple! Congratulations and all the best, Eomer and Cailín!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eomer
We understand it's not the most original thing, the whole Barrow Downs wedding, but we thought you'd like to know.

Well, marriage as such is dreadfully unoriginal and bourgeois;); it's also more adventurous and challenging than any WW game, but I'm sure you two will do fine! At least each of you will understand when the other becomes unavailable for about two weeks and raves about votes and suspicions in their sleep...

Mnemosyne 02-01-2010 03:54 PM

Felicitations!!!

Nogrod 02-01-2010 04:10 PM

We have not many 'Downer marriages (three or four?), but of those few two are ignited by the WereWolf! :D

Remember all that talk how the game arouses feelings - as far as the mods needing to occasionally come forwards because of some heated feelings... but they clearly can heat this way as well!

Congrats to you both and may you live in happiness for everafter!

Rumil 02-01-2010 04:23 PM

Many Congratulations and All The Best!!! :D

Legate of Amon Lanc 02-01-2010 04:25 PM

I join the congratulations and I have to say that however "unoriginal" BD weddings might be, it always makes me happy to hear about things like that. And it somehow makes our warm and cosy forum seem even more warm and cosy. So may you both carry into your future life together the best from here, and once again all the best to both of you! :)

Eönwë 02-01-2010 04:42 PM

Congratulations to Eomer and Cailín!

The good thing about 'Downer weddings is that it shows what nice people we have here. And, yes, it does make this forum seem warmer and cosier.

Nerwen 02-01-2010 07:00 PM

Congratulations, Cailíneomer!:)

Feanor of the Peredhil 02-01-2010 07:09 PM

Oh no! Aime, this clearly means that our long-standing love affair must end...

I shall just have to move on with my life, offer my sincerest congratulations to the two of you, and avert my thoughts from the matrimonial kilt.

Ibrîniđilpathânezel 02-01-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim (Post 622671)
You know how it goes: he's the wolf, she's the Seer, she dreams of him, they are both massacred bloodily, and it's all very romantic.

And I thought my husband and I had a... peculiar first meeting, catching each other's eye across a VERY crowded room during a party at a science fiction convention in Minneapolis, love at first sight. :)

Congratulations to both of you. I wish you at least as much happiness as we've known together, and we're going on 33 years this year.

Durelin 02-01-2010 07:43 PM

About time. ;)

Congratulations!!! Here's to many, many wonderful years together!

Loslote 02-01-2010 08:04 PM

Congratulations to the both of you! A Downer wedding is such a lovely thing. My best wishes to you! :)

wilwarin538 02-01-2010 09:18 PM

Oh my, how amazing!!!!! :D

Congratulations to both of you!!! May you have many many many long and happy years together! :D

Oddwen 02-01-2010 09:21 PM

Congratulations to you both! :D

Mithalwen 02-02-2010 07:09 AM

On behalf of susceptible old ladies everywhere...

Oh goodie we will get to see Eomer in a kilt again *thud*.:Merisu:

And congratulations though it seems very belated - I had a rare moment of foresight even before you actually met and have wished you well ever since (as well as having the swallowed a cat feeling for being right, for once) :D

skip spence 02-02-2010 07:33 AM

The Barrow-downs: A Tolkien related dating site?

Congratulation, Eomer and Cailin!

May your days be long and merry :)

Estelyn Telcontar 02-02-2010 09:59 AM

Comgratulations from me too! I'm happy for you, though I'm not entirely surprised, as I was aware that something was afoot...

Perhaps we should post some kind of disclaimer on the Downs:
Quote:

Warning: Membership may be detrimental to your marital status. This site is not liable for the success of any relationships formed by its members.

The Might 02-02-2010 06:11 PM

Congratulations! ;)

Maybe I should start playing WW? :D

Cailín 02-02-2010 06:18 PM

Thanks to everyone for the congratulations. Happy to cause warm and fuzzy feelings.

There are many people here who are partly responsible for this match, and you probably have no idea how much I owe you. The encouragement, teasing and random predictions were all helpful, I assure you. I have no idea what my life would be like if I hadn’t claimed the final spot on Werewolf XI (oh, so long ago now) and been pitted against Eomer in that epic battle.

And then when my professor mentioned off-handedly that Aberdeen University might be setting up an exchange programme with my home university, I remember thinking I had to go there because I was convinced I’d meet the love of my life. I even informed my professor about this curious premonition. I’ll leave it up to you to judge whether I am an excellent diviner or just mildly insane.

Perhaps now is also the time to confess that I have had a series of nightmares of Eomer running off with another popular Barrow-Downs member. Surprisingly, it is not Feanor of the Peredhil. Or perhaps I should just keep quiet about that part of my subconscious. Yes.

Needless to say, this place will always be very dear to my heart.

P.S. Formendacil, I do expect you to show up for the wedding. After all, you promised quite a while ago: http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showpos...&postcount=444

Hookbill the Goomba 02-02-2010 06:27 PM

Great stuff you guys!
I'll make sure to send an imaginary emissary. ;)

Can I recommend that, during the wedding celebrations, rather than having a cake out of which someone bursts, have a person who eats so much cake that he bursts. That'll be fun. Fun for all the family.

Anyway, in all seriousness, I wish you much good and little bad. That's as much as anyone can reasonably hope for. :)

Feanor of the Peredhil 02-02-2010 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cailín (Post 622759)
Perhaps now is also the time to confess that I have had a series of nightmares of Eomer running off with another popular Barrow-Downs member. Surprisingly, it is not Feanor of the Peredhil.

Clearly it couldn't be me, love. I don't run. I swagger.

Formendacil 02-02-2010 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cailín (Post 622759)
I’ll leave it up to you to judge whether I am an excellent diviner or just mildly insane.

Well....... you're a Barrow-Downer. Do we really have a choice other than "mildly insane"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cailín
P.S. Formendacil, I do expect you to show up for the wedding. After all, you promised quite a while ago: http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showpos...&postcount=444

Heh... erm... wellllll...

So, technically, I think I kind of committed to the first BDer wedding there... and Rikae and Mac definitely beat you there.

Although... I, erm, yeah... definitely *coughmissedcough* that one. :o

satansaloser2005 02-02-2010 10:46 PM

Congrats, you troublemakers!

*glomps you both*

Joseph 02-03-2010 05:24 AM

Cailín and Eomer

wow! lucky Cailín and Eomer good luck hope it all goes well.

Brinniel 02-05-2010 09:51 AM

Well, this is no surprise. In fact, I've been wondering for quite some time when there'd be some sort of announcement from you two. Congrats, Cailin and Eomer! I'm glad to hear you've found happiness together and I wish you two the very best. :)

Oh and btw, if I ever find myself if the Netherlands again, I'll definitely have to look you guys up. I'm still sad we never got the chance to meet two years ago, especially considering I passed right through where you live multiple times..

Macalaure 02-23-2010 11:22 PM

Ai! I missed this thread!

Congratulations to you from both of us!

Who cares about "original"? All good things deserve to be copied. ;)

Thinlómien 02-24-2010 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durelin (Post 622692)
About time.

Oi! She beat me to saying it. :p (Well, no wonder since I'm like three weeks late. I wonder if it's a sign, last time there was a BD engagement, I also found out a few weeks later. maybe I'm cursed. :rolleyes: )

Anyway, lots of congrats to you darlings! And of course: awwww. :D

Kitanna 02-24-2010 07:47 AM

Many congratulations!

Lush 02-26-2010 05:33 AM

Awww, you guys! Many happy years together to you! In love is a great place to be. :D

Boromir88 03-03-2010 06:54 PM

So this one time I just saw this thread and it feels very belated, but congradulations Eomer and Cailin! *refrains from making gushy comments...recomposes* <3 Boro, both of you get back here soon now, ya here? :p :D

Snowdog 03-04-2010 04:33 PM

Congratulations you two! Enjoy each other through life!

Cailín 08-05-2011 11:29 AM

We always planned to do this but it never happened (mostly because everyone seems to be on Facebook nowadays).

But here for anyone who is interested is how a couple of Downers looked on their wedding day :)

http://i52.tinypic.com/p8u2w.jpg

And showing off the outfits:

http://i51.tinypic.com/2e67ome.jpg

Inziladun 08-05-2011 11:56 AM

Outstanding! I don't think I could wear a kilt half as well. :D

Best wishes for your future happiness.

Galadriel55 08-05-2011 12:11 PM

Congratulations! You look lovely in those pictures! All the best to both of you! :D

I always knew that playing WW has some good things to it to compromise the lack of sleep. :Merisu::p

Mithalwen 08-05-2011 12:41 PM

Well have more congratulations - and I saw different pics on FB so it is nice to see these too... and more pics of Eomer in a kilt!!! *squeaks happily*

Seriously they are lovely, happy pictures of you both.

Anguirel 08-05-2011 03:26 PM

Must've missed the very announcement...congratulations and affections to you both (from a demi-countryman of the groom and ardent trews if not kilt abuser) - a beautiful and natural turn of events and very life enhancing photos

Glirdan 08-05-2011 04:05 PM

I'm sorry I missed the original announcement!! Many congratulations too you both!! The pictures look great and you both look fantastic!! :)

Nilpaurion Felagund 08-05-2011 05:55 PM

I am so glad for you two. :)