The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Top Ten Signs You're Addicted to the Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5145)

Guo Si 04-16-2003 11:16 AM

You are addicted to the Barrow-Downs when you scour through old email adresses, oftentimes trying in vain to remember old passwords, to get to the one you registered with, just so you can log in again after leaving for close to a year.

VanimaEdhel 04-16-2003 05:03 PM

Gooey! *big hugs* Welcome back!

When you have been around for long enough to know people who have disappeared for that long, I'd say you are fairly addicted.

I actually don't really consider myself addicted in real life, although I probably am.

Annalaliath 04-16-2003 05:14 PM

dude my name is Annalaliath and I am obssesed not only woth the LOTR but with the Barrowdowns.

You have your paper on " The death of the Ball Turret Gunner" open and behind it you are working on a new post for the Barrow downs.

lindil 04-16-2003 10:01 PM

Quote:

I actually don't really consider myself addicted in real life, although I probably am.

hmmm, 2100+ posts in a little more than a year... sorry Vanima, your hooked. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Sophia the Thunder Mistress 04-16-2003 10:44 PM

You're addicted to the Barrowdowns, when you cite posts from the Books forum in your lit class papers. (Very unsuccessful venture... I don't advise it)

Sophia

Rumil 04-16-2003 10:54 PM

For me its when you've casually assigned specific personalities to the Barrowdowns 'names' then discovered they don't look at all as you expected (see the various pictures threads). I suppose it goes to show you shouldn't judge a book by its cover!

Annalaliath, do I detect an interest in 'One flew over the cuckoo's nest'? Great book, great film. I've always thought he might be a friend of Yossarian from Catch 22.

Sophia the Thunder Mistress 04-17-2003 01:04 AM

Another symptom: *throws hand across forehead dramatically* when you have an entire folder on your favorites list for downs related links.

Silmarien 04-18-2003 10:02 PM

Some bad signs I have noticed I've developed.
Saying lot-tra when I see LOTR, home when HoME and most awefully, jert when I see JRRT.
Also when you have 13 emails in your inbox and they're all from BD and mostly from the one thread. There are also some other things in here that might be true when I've been here a little longer, but I think the truest sign of addiction is actually reading this thread.

VanimaEdhel 04-19-2003 05:40 PM

Quote:

hmmm, 2100+ posts in a little more than a year... sorry Vanima, your hooked.
You have to remember that I'm an avid RPG'er that has been involved in at least three, sometimes up to seven, RPG's since about April of 2002. Probably over half of my posts are in the RPG Forum.

Amanaduial the archer 04-20-2003 02:00 PM

Quote:

when you have an entire folder on your favorites list for downs related links.
Two, actually. One is entirely downs related items, the other RP projects.

Lyra Greenleaf 04-20-2003 02:08 PM

Well, I'm not organised enough to put them in folders, but all my favourites are LOTR related and more than half are from the BDs.

You know you're addicted when you're on holiday and you're homesick not for family and friends but your computer screen and you guys. Urgh, it was like going cold turkey!

Eressië Ailin 04-20-2003 02:24 PM

You know that you're addicted when you are sick with the flu, and your mother has to drag you away from the computer, and stop you from finishing 'just one last post,' so that you don't barf on the computer.

Yep. It's sad.

Amanaduial the archer 04-20-2003 02:31 PM

Quote:

Urgh, it was like going cold turkey!
*raises eyebrow*

Eressië Ailin 04-21-2003 11:39 PM

...and you're also addicted when you're just now starting an essay that is due tomorrow, when you've known about it for weeks, but you haven't had time to type it because you've been on the Downs. And it's 12:40 AM.

Amanaduial the archer 04-22-2003 05:51 AM

Yeah, getting that. Last night at 2:40am, having the choice between doing my history homework...or posting again on an RP. Guess which one won...

VanimaEdhel 04-24-2003 05:29 PM

Maikadilwen: did your solution involve joining a play that sucks all the life out of you and/or getting a really sweet guy to like you and follow you around? Because I did both, and I was BD-free for four days, and I will be BD-free for between five and eight days during the week coming up (play rehearsal and softball games...blah). We'll see how I survive...

EDIT: then the question is: do I want to break my addiction? Not really...

EDIT 2: Then there is the part where I'm back again...do I ever really leave? No...

[ April 24, 2003: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]

Maikadilwen 04-25-2003 12:27 AM

Quote:

or getting a really sweet guy to like you and follow you around?
He already does that in here! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

gilraën 04-27-2003 11:06 AM

You log into BD before you unpack from a short trip abroad. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Sophia the Thunder Mistress 04-27-2003 10:44 PM

Symptom #37649 You have recurring nightmares that Mithadan closes your topics and deletes your posts.

Mithadan 04-28-2003 12:54 PM

Hmmmm. *Frowns and trots off to figure out which of Sophia's posts he is supposed to be deleting...

Amanaduial the archer 04-28-2003 02:03 PM

Quote:

You log into BD before you unpack from a short trip abroad.
*slowly and sheepishly raises hand* Guilty.

*shifty eyes, then whispers to Sophia, trying not to let Mith hear* uh huh.

Sophia the Thunder Mistress 04-28-2003 02:08 PM

*gulps and whispers back to Aman* once it was Sharku... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Amanaduial the archer 05-02-2003 03:32 PM

*Nods sympathetically at Sophia, patting gently on the back* There, there, it'll be alright...my worst was when of the mods threatened to break my characters ankle...

Oh no, wait; that happened didnt it?! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Sophia the Thunder Mistress 05-02-2003 03:45 PM

oh dear, here's another one... I'm strangely addicted, I fear.

Symptom #348972: Your roommates can name off at least six barrowdowners whose posts made you laugh without stopping to think.

Symptom #348973: You use quotes from Revenge of the Entish Bow on your quote of the day list.

Niluial 05-02-2003 05:26 PM

You make Barrow Downs your home page!!

Diamond18 05-02-2003 11:58 PM

Quote:

Symptom #348973: You use quotes from Revenge of the Entish Bow on your quote of the day list.
Woo hoo! My work here is done. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Niluial 05-03-2003 04:01 AM

Quote:

Symptom #348972: Your roommates can name off at least six barrowdowners whose posts made you laugh without stopping to think.
That sound familiar.

Sophia the Thunder Mistress 05-03-2003 10:53 AM

Quote:

Done! Not Barrowdowns home either, the forum home page. *blushes*

Niluial 05-03-2003 12:16 PM

Quote:

Wow!!! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] you are bad... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] hmm I think I'll do that [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] !!

GaladrieloftheOlden 05-03-2003 12:20 PM

Quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And you're not the only one... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~Menelien

GaladrieloftheOlden 05-03-2003 05:23 PM

You are no longer able to rerereread (or however meny res) the His Dark Materials trilogy without Lyra Greenleaf's avatar popping up all the time. And this doesn't annoy you, you're just glad to get another reminder about the Downs [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~Menelien

Eressië Ailin 05-05-2003 08:02 PM

Even Peter Pan is related to the Downs (heh... Arien).

Quote:

The Ent that was broken!

“Seek for the Ent that was broken:
With the Cow Keeper it dwells;
There shall nonsense be spoken
More wicked than Dulldor-spells.
There shall be a token dwarf
A half-elf, elf, wizard and man,
For Isildur's cousin shall waken,
And form a big-hair 80’s band.”

WHo ever knew that would come the BW?

And yes, the BD forum is my homepage. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

vanwalossien 05-06-2003 08:10 AM

Quote:

I think I'm even worse than that. TolkienWorld is my homepage, with the URL for voting for the BarrowDowns. I automatically vote for BD every time I go online..! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

GaladrieloftheOlden 05-06-2003 09:28 AM

That's really funny. I think I should try it [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~Menelien

Kiah 05-06-2003 04:56 PM

1. You know your a Barrowholic when you eat slice after slice of wonder bread and insist it is lembas.
2. You have the One Ring from those LOTR bookmarks you can get at Border's and wear it on a gold chain and speak to it.
3. You keep on trying to speak elvish to your friends and they now run at the sight of you.
4. You talk about LOTR and the Barrow-Downs 24/7 to people on the Barrow-Downs chat line.
5. You are on the Barrow-Downs all the time to see all the new topics and write something on every one.
6. You watch the movie and read the books more than you did for Star Wars.
7. You now know the Council of Elrond scene by heart and quote it to everyone you meet.
8. You memorized everyone's name who is registered on the Barrow-Downs.
9. You flip out when people say 'elfish' instead of 'elvish'
10. You have both the VHS and DVD extended version in case one or the other player gets broken.
11. You suddenly wake up in the night and shout "I forgot to post my new topic!"
12. You have dreams about hobbits and elves.
13. You write stuff like this.
14. You eat 7 meals a day just like the hobbits.
15. You, despite the fact that before you heard of LOTR were terrified of mushrooms, eat the little funguses and shout "mushrooms!" whenever you see them.
16. You look for any Legolas, Frodo, or Boromir (or any cute LOTR person) pictures on google and your computer is now stuffed full of them.
17. You watch, read, or listen to something that has to do with LOTR every day in order to write something about it on the Forum.
18. You have an addiction to computers now.
19. You stay up till 3am writing things about Barrow-Downs.
20. Last but not least....You spell your last name now after the person you think is the hottest LOTR charecter.

Amanaduial the archer 05-07-2003 11:57 AM

You have time to write out long lists of things that make you a barrowholic. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] (Kiah...)

Mithadan 05-07-2003 01:18 PM

You spend 6 days overseeing and organizing a birthday party and awards show for a website! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

[ May 07, 2003: Message edited by: Mithadan ]

Amanaduial the archer 05-07-2003 01:21 PM

Lol.

-Instead of having the sayings of great philosophers, actors, playwrights etc in your sig, you have a quote from a PM someone sent to you. (a prize to anyone who can guess whose the one below is)

-You can name a barrow member for every number of the alphabet.

[ May 07, 2003: Message edited by: Amanaduial the archer ]

Diamond18 05-07-2003 01:24 PM

Quote:

The Ent that was broken!
Also one of my favorite quotes from that RPG. I'll admit that I laughed myself silly. One of many REB quotes which pop into my head daily, making me grin like a dopey Workmudian Elf. Yes, I'm addicted, and it's sad.

Quote:

A half-elf, elf, wizard and man,
To this day, I'm still smarting that he left both my characters out of the poem. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

vanwalossien 05-08-2003 07:28 AM

Quote:

You can name a barrow member for every letter of the alphabet
Aman
Bêthberry
Carlas
DarkRose
Eärendil
Frieda
GreatWarg
Helka
Ithaeliel
Judge Simon
Kalessin
Lush
Maril
Naaramare
O
Pallando B.C.
Q
Raefindel
Samwise
Thenamir
Underhill, Mr
Vardamar
W
X-phial, the
Y
Z
Almost... I'm sure I know someone at O Q W Y and Z too, I should know...