The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Quiz Room (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Confusing clues (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=17080)

Urwen 01-07-2011 03:07 PM

Confusing clues

New idea for game. You describe someone or something using confusing clues. After a person/object/place in question is detained, the one who guessed correctly posts a new set of confusing clues. Inspired by a thread on another Tolkien forum.

Here is mine:

They were three at the beginning. Till two received gruesome fate upon themselves. The third (and luckiest) of the three escaped that fate by going beyond ere fate was brought upon two others. I'm just listening to their music video. Their father was the cause of their fate. And... (I reserve this clue if other clues are too confusing. If I say it now, I'll give away the answer). From those clues, could you guess who the three were?

Pitchwife 01-07-2011 03:18 PM

Sorry if this comes across as too unfriendly, but how is this a riddle? The answer is what every other post from you is about, right? And I don't think your clues could be less confusing if you'd drawn us a map.

Urwen 01-07-2011 03:45 PM

Oh, God, spare me this torture. I hoped that 'three' would throw people off, but you're too damn clever for your own good. I wanted people to get confused. Then I would have revealed the answer. Must you ruin my intent every time? I intended to ask, confuse others, and then merge this thread with Hin Hurin. Really, you ruin my every plan meant to get others to praise them?! :(

Pitchwife 01-07-2011 03:58 PM

Sorry for being a spoilsport, Urwen - it's just that it would be really really really really wonderful if you could talk about something else than the Children of Húrin once in a while for more than five minutes. Just for a change.
Don't get me wrong - CoH is a great story, and it's no wonder you're moved by their fate, but there's so much more in Tolkien's works and world as well, and the way you're going on about this one subject all the times just gets a wee bit tedious over the months.

Urwen 01-07-2011 04:17 PM

You wan't me to abandon them? To abandon my namesake? No. I will have them in my heart-the very core of it.

You want me to forgive Maedhros? Not happening either. Spirits of Olwe, Elwing and Lalaith are unsettled... yes, they're unsettled for they were killed by same hand, whether directly, or by CAUSING MORGOTH THE TERRIBLE TO SPREAD DISEASE with his rashness. Down with Maedhros the Rash!

You want me to chat about Elwing? Fine. There's cousin of her husband's father...three of them!

You want me to chat about every other person in middle Earth? They're all related to three.

See? Whatever other person there is, I could always prove that Hin Hurin are somehow related to every important person. Numenoreans? Hin Hurin were cousins of their forefather. Gondorians? Hin Hurin were cousins of their fore-fore father.

No matter how hard you try, you cannot escape Hin Hurin. They're related even to Morgoth, trough curse, and even Eru the Almighty, who created them...

I rest my case.

Mnemosyne 01-07-2011 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urwen (Post 646064)
See? Whatever other person there is, I could always prove that Hin Hurin are somehow related to every important person.

Tom Bombadil.

Pitchwife 01-07-2011 06:14 PM

Easy. He was married to Goldberry, the River-daughter, and Lalaith was a river-daughter as well, being named after the stream near Húrin's house. (Besides, you should remember from the Maedhros thread that Goldberry was in fact Lalaith reborn as a Maia!*;))

But how's this for a game idea: somebody suggests a Tolkien character, and the other players have to link this character to Lalaith in some way or the other (can and should be humorous); Urwen decides who did best, the winner gets to suggest the next character, etc. Would that appease you, Urwen?

PS. (*Oh yes, and Tom himself was of course Sador Labadal reborn, hopping along in his yellow boots to conceal the fact that he still had a wooden foot.)

Galadriel55 01-07-2011 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitchwife (Post 646089)
But how's this for a game idea: somebody suggests a Tolkien character, and the other players have to link this character to Lalaith in some way or the other (can and should be humorous); Urwen decides who did best, the winner gets to suggest the next character, etc.

That sounds interesting! But I think that should go under a different thread, since it's a bit of a different game. I have a character that no one will be able to connect - Maedhros! :p :)

Legate of Amon Lanc 01-08-2011 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitchwife (Post 646089)
PS. (*Oh yes, and Tom himself was of course Sador Labadal reborn, hopping along in his yellow boots to conceal the fact that he still had a wooden foot.)

I cannot rep you just now, Pitch, but as they say nowadays: ROFL! That was amazing :D

Urwen 01-10-2011 05:19 AM

And of course, Fatty Lumpkin and Old Man Willow were Turin and Nienor reborn. Old man Willow still has Turin's anger within, while Fatty still has Nienor's forgetfulness within. ;)

With Lalaith as Golberry and Sador as Tom, the quartet is back again! Long live Hin Hurin and Sador!

Quote:

But how's this for a game idea: somebody suggests a Tolkien character, and the other players have to link this character to Lalaith in some way or the other (can and should be humorous); Urwen decides who did best, the winner gets to suggest the next character, etc. Would that appease you, Urwen?
You start.