The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   I saw a Ted Sandyman (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=15500)

Morsul the Dark 05-31-2009 07:29 PM

I saw a Ted Sandyman

OK not really, but there's this guy who shops around my store fairly often and he looks just ike a hobbit (except for height) but like a mean scary hobbit, like ted sandyman. seriously the guy creeps me out, but still he reminds me of LOTR so that's OK.

has anyone else ever seen someone who reminds you of LOTR?

Pitchwife 06-01-2009 12:46 PM

One of my colleagues at the library would make a great Gimli (or any other Dwarf): rather shortish and squat, round ruddy face, long curly brownish hair and an impressive greying beard; plus, he's not averse to a pint. He would look great with a battle axe.

skip spence 06-01-2009 01:44 PM

I frequently have the notion that the faceless terror of a modern bureaucratic control society (like Sweden) is much like the eye of Sauron, as the Orcs perceive it.

Mithalwen 06-02-2009 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitchwife (Post 598985)
One of my colleagues at the library would make a great Gimli . He would look great with a battle axe.

And you would probably not get many people returning their books late.

Pitchwife 06-02-2009 09:58 AM

Indeed. Unfortunately, he doesn't do duty at the issue desk.

FeRaL sHaDoW 06-02-2009 11:11 PM

My history teacher could pass off as a warg.:D

The Saucepan Man 10-23-2009 05:07 PM

I kid you not, but this week I came across someone whose first name is Nazgul.

Seriously. Is that a real name or were her parents warped Tolkien fans ... ? ;)

Inziladun 10-23-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man (Post 614269)
I kid you not, but this week I came across someone whose first name is Nazgul.

Seriously. Is that a real name or were her parents warped Tolkien fans ... ? ;)

That has to be an instance of misguided parents honouring one of their interests.

Loslote 10-23-2009 05:27 PM

My old youth pastor could pass for a Rohirrim if he grew out his hair a bit more. :p

Rumil 10-23-2009 05:42 PM

Lookie-likeee

My old next-door neighbour when I was a kid looked just like Tom Bombadil (OK in my head anyway!), shortish, stoutish, red-cheeked and out in all weathers as he was a keen gardner.

His predecessor as next-door neighbour (also a gardner) was just like the Gaffer, thin and wiry, old and a little scary when knocking on the door to retrieve a football, but fine really and Mrs Gaffer generally had a spare biscuit about.

There was a kid in school that reminded me of Pippin, as he was always the one to get into improbable situations, at one point having to be cut free from a modern art installation by Parisian Pompiers, after seeing if his leg would fit in it!

Mr Underhill was my English teacher, but there was no resemblance.

There was one gent who was a housemate of a friend, and unfortunately became known as Gollum due to his sallow complexion and strange ways. We may have occasionally whispered 'preciousssss' behind his back, which I'm not very proud of.:rolleyes:

Hakon 10-23-2009 10:49 PM

My Godfather is a bit like Gandalf in personality but not appearance. He had short blond hair and no beard last time my family saw him.

I also met George Clayton Johnson who looks a bit like a drunk Gandalf. Just imagine him with the Gandalf hat on.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...r/DSC00362.jpg

Mithalwen 11-24-2009 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inziladun (Post 614272)
That has to be an instance of misguided parents honouring one of their interests.

Or child abuse.... I do hope she didn't try to stab your dog Saucie...

The Saucepan Man 11-27-2009 10:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inzil

She is from Kazakhstan, I believe, or on of the other central asian states. Perhaps it is a common girl's name there ...?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mith
I do hope she didn't try to stab your dog Saucie...

Ah no, Frodo's quite safe these days. His questing days came to an end when we put a fence up round our garden (having previously been somewhat curtailed with the loss of his nik-naks). :D

Here's a recent picture of the little fellow looking out to sea in anticipation of his future voyage to the West ... ;)

Inziladun 11-27-2009 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man (Post 617112)
She is from Kazakhstan, I believe, or on of the other central asian states. Perhaps it is a common girl's name there ...?

I have my doubts, and I'm unaware of any Kazakh Downers who could enlighten us.

musicofainur 12-21-2009 06:14 AM

I have a teacher who is short in stature, had somewhat short curly hair (not anymore) and often wears waistcoats (and rarely of dark colours).
You all must have guessed what she looks like.

Loslote 01-03-2010 07:23 PM

I met a guy who looked just like Orlando Bloom, only bald and a teenager. :p

Lindale 01-04-2010 01:50 AM

Now that I think about it, one of our captains in ROTC looks like an Easterling (except that he has his hair trimmed short), and has the attitude of such. And perhaps it's because of his attitude that I call him such, because I've always thought that Tolkien might have based Easterlings on... Asians, with all the shortness and not-being-as-fair-as-other-Men business. But that officer, he especially relishes his "superiority" over us, even if we're eating outside the military science complex and other officers act normal and sane, and that made me think of the Easterling Brodda.

Dimturiel 01-10-2010 09:50 AM

Ah, this brings back memories...

When I was in my second year in highschool I went to an English national competition and there was this guy about the same age as me with shoulder-length black hair and slightly greysh (honestly!) eyes. The moment I saw him I thought he looked like someone from Gondor would look. He happened to be also a very keen LOTR fan, but, of course, I never told him he looked like a Gondorian. I wonder how he would have reacted if I had:D.

Airaloske 01-10-2010 12:06 PM

i dont know if he would count as a man of rohan or not because he probably wouldnt fit on any of the horses, but if my husband was in LOTR that's where he'd probably end up.

i had a classmate in college who reminded me of Gollum. Not such a compliment but it's true.

also, my grandmother looks quite hobbitish as she is short and round and very very cheery.

deagol 04-12-2010 08:30 PM

Physical resemblances aside, it's a rare day I don't meet someone who acts like Ted Sandyman.
:rolleyes: