The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   eyebrows (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=3792)

Mhoram 01-30-2002 02:18 AM

eyebrows

Anyone else ever wondered how gandalf could have eyebrows so thick that they stuck out beyond the brim of his hat?

Gayahithwen 01-30-2002 03:33 AM

now when you mentions it, I think I remember that.. hhmmmm... well, I have not a clue... maybe it has something to do with the fact that he is so old?? or something..

Sindalómiel 01-30-2002 04:44 AM

Maybe his hat had a very very tiny brim?
Ok, I know that's not much help. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Bad Fairy 01-30-2002 05:41 AM

hmmmmm......Im guessing he had to do plenty of back brushing andused a can of hairspray a day [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Rosie Posie Burrows 01-30-2002 11:18 AM

Hmm… You're right, it is a quite freaky. Maybe he is part Wooly Mammoth. He never seems to talk about his parents, he might be hiding something… [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Incidentally, does anyone know what wizards actually are? Are they men who have learnt magic, or are they a different race altogether?
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

zifnab 01-30-2002 12:08 PM

Wizard are Istari sent over by the Valar to contest the power of Sauron, and to move Elves and Men and all living things of good will to valiant deeds. You should read the "Of the Rings of Power amd the Third Age/Silmarillion", and "The Istari/Unfinnished Tales". Their are also some threads on this subject in this forum, that might help you out.

zifnab 01-30-2002 12:10 PM

BTW-I have no idea why Gandalf's eyebrows are huge! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Enedhil 01-30-2002 04:19 PM

ROFL

i have to admit that bit made me pause; frown; frown; shrug; read on [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]...most peculiar way of describing them, is it not?

brian waugh 01-30-2002 04:48 PM

There were five Istari sent by the Valars to assist in the overthrow of evil. They were under strict instructions not to match saurons power with power,or to dominate the races of Middle Earth thats why the Hobbits had to do all the dirty work ! Only three were ever mentioned by Tolkien Gandalf, Sauraman and Radagast. At the end of the Third Age they passed from sight, their work done. Gandalf going with the ringbearers and the others are believed to have returned to the West.

Mhoram 01-30-2002 10:47 PM

what's that got to do with eyebrows? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Hama 01-31-2002 10:36 AM

Maybe he plaited them or something, or used wax, like Salvador Dali's moustache

Carannillion 02-02-2002 04:38 AM

Actually, 'Istari' is the order, the wizards (Gandalf, Saruman, Radagast & the two others) are Maiar; lesser gods (or angels, if you like) of the same race as Sauron. They were - as the Valar - of the Ainur, only less powerful. They could also - also as the Valar - assume any form they wished (the Istari as old men, Melian as an Elf etc.)

Actually, there is quite a lot to be said, but I hope I didn't make it too hard. For more information, I'm sure there's a thread or to which delves deeper into it in the Books or
Books II forums. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Carannillion 02-02-2002 04:40 AM

As for the eyebrows, I have no idea. Eyebrows sticking out from under the brim of the hat I have in mind would be long enough to knit a couple of sweaters from... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Sindalómiel 02-02-2002 04:51 AM

And if the hat Tolkien meant was the same as the hat Gandalf wears in the movie, those are BIG eyebrows.

[ February 02, 2002: Message edited by: Sindalómiel ]

Turambar 02-02-2002 08:53 AM

I think the answer is - Tolkien EXAGERRATED! No way your eyebrows cd stick out past the brim of yor hat.

the_master_of_puppets 02-02-2002 12:36 PM

the eyebrows eh...well personally i think if gandalf can have long hair and beard why not long eyebrows? i mean: this is a mythical world. u know sauron and the 1 ring r fictional and so are hobbits and elves n stuff; so why cant gandalf have bushy eyebrows? if ur prepaired to enjoy the rest of it for fantacy why cant gandy have fantacy based eyebrows?!

soz if i sound nasty, i dont mean 2. nobody b offended pls...lol well bye [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

The Mirrorball Man 02-02-2002 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by the_master_of_puppets:
if ur prepaired to enjoy the rest of it for fantacy why cant gandy have fantacy based eyebrows?!
Because if Gandalf had "eyebrows so thick that they stuck out beyond the brim of his hat", they would hide his face! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Ara'rial 02-02-2002 06:57 PM

Maybe his eyebrows are just a character thing, to distinguish him from all the others. I think it makes him Gandalf. When I see big white eyebrows now, I think of him.

zifnab 02-02-2002 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ara'rial:
<STRONG>When I see big white eyebrows now, I think of him.</STRONG>
Well, when I think of Big white eyebrows and a big white bread, I think of Santa-Claus!!! Yes, Im still a kid at heart. I can almost see Gandalf riding the sleigh with all those lovely raindeer(of course Shadowfox, would be in their somewhere)shooting of fireworks on Chrismas Eve.

Man, I sure am a basket case!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Ara'rial 02-03-2002 09:47 PM

Naw...one could think of Santa too. So the song would go....Shadowfax the Rohan Horsie...

Gayahithwen 02-05-2002 10:04 AM

Yeah.. Gandalf as Santa Claus.. hihi.. that would be fun.. But on the other hand, from now on, I will never ever be able to think about Santa Claus again without also remembering all the LotR series.. not sure what I wanna say with this post, though.. oh well.. Merry Christmas to you all!!

Galadriel55 03-24-2011 09:40 PM

I don't think it says so in LOTR, but in HOME (yes, I've finally found a copy! :D), in the prototype of the Moria chapters, after Gandalf fights the Balrog (as we later find out) at the exit of Mazarbul, he says to the Compay something like "I've burned an inch or so of my eyebrows". :eek: Maybe Tolkien decided to omit this description of Gandalf's *cough* face, but forgot to take out the other reference...:confused:

Morthoron 03-25-2011 06:35 AM

Perhaps they weren't so much eyebrows as eyeboughs. Therefore, Gandalf shared some affinities with the Ents. Either that, or the Maiar in general had hirsute facial fecundity. Melian had some wicked sideburns, or so I've heard.

Galadriel 03-25-2011 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayahithwen (Post 70754)
Yeah.. Gandalf as Santa Claus.. hihi.. that would be fun.. But on the other hand, from now on, I will never ever be able to think about Santa Claus again without also remembering all the LotR series.. not sure what I wanna say with this post, though.. oh well.. Merry Christmas to you all!!

I wouldn't. I like my Santa squishy.

Galin 07-21-2011 09:50 AM

The description of Gandalf's eyebrows sticking out beyond the brim of his hat can also be found in A Long-expected Party in The Lord of the Rings.

Interestingly, for the 1960 Hobbit Tolkien altered the eyebrows beyond the brim to: 'But Gandalf looked at him from under his bushy eyebrows that bristled beneath the brim of his hat.' JRRT, the 1960 Hobbit, John Rateliff, The History of The Hobbit

As if he wanted the old description removed... but it remained in the ultimate edition of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings in any event.

Dead Mike 07-21-2011 09:58 AM

Gandalf's prowess with fire would make long eyebrows awfully dangerous

Galadriel 07-21-2011 10:51 AM

It was probably only one or two very long, jagged hairs and not the whole bush :rolleyes:

Galadriel55 07-26-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel (Post 658984)
It was probably only one or two very long, jagged hairs and not the whole bush :rolleyes:

Or maybe it's just that they look as if they stick out from a hobbit's perspective - waaaay down below. :smokin:

TheGreatElvenWarrior 07-26-2011 11:11 PM

Maybe he just had old man evebrows. I saw this man on the Tube when I was in London who had ridiculously long eyebrow hairs, but he didn't have too many of them. A lot of older men have this. Perhaps this is what Tolkien was referring to?

Galadriel 07-27-2011 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel55 (Post 659197)
Or maybe it's just that they look as if they stick out from a hobbit's perspective - waaaay down below.

Yeah, but come on, beyond the brim of his hat? :eek:

Galadriel55 07-27-2011 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel (Post 659207)
Yeah, but come on, beyond the brim of his hat? :eek:

If a hobbit is standing right next to Gandalf but facing away and looks up, they might see the eyebrows going out to at least the brimm of the hat, mayb a few hairs reaching beyond that. It's all about the perspective.

Galadriel 07-27-2011 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel55 (Post 659211)
If a hobbit is standing right next to Gandalf but facing away and looks up, they might see the eyebrows going out to at least the brimm of the hat, mayb a few hairs reaching beyond that. It's all about the perspective.

Naw, mate, how long can eyebrows be even from that angle? :p Anyway, I think we ought to stop this back-and-forth debate. It's getting nowhere >.<

Galadriel55 07-27-2011 08:59 PM

I came across a similar topic discussed from a mirthlier point of view: http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=13881

FlimFlamSam 08-04-2011 06:38 AM

Trimming the Verge

Mhoram spoke: [Anyone else ever wondered how gandalf could have eyebrows so thick that they stuck out beyond the brim of his hat?]

Ever seen David Lynch's Dune and the Mentats?
Poor Brad Dourif. In Dune he gets those shaggy things applied, then in Lord of the Rings he has to shave off what he does have!

David Wenzel did a pretty good job of showing them in The Hobbit comic adaptation if you still need a visual: :)
http//bddelasemaine.bleublog.lematin.ch/archive/2009/12/20/bilbo-le-hobbit-de-charles-dixon-et-david-t-wenzel.html

cathysmith07 12-07-2011 04:02 AM

Hi, My name is Cathy, a writer for Top Beauty Secrets that help other women by providing very informative articles, product reviews, and tips. :Merisu:

Nerwen 12-07-2011 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cathysmith07 (Post 664591)
Hi, My name is Cathy, a writer for Top Beauty Secrets that help other women by providing very informative articles, product reviews, and tips. :Merisu:

Oh good. I see you have all kinds of fascinating links to eyelash-extension products, Cathy, but what of eyebrows?

Selmo 12-09-2011 08:11 AM

A vaguely amusing discussion, but quite pointless.

Isn’t this just a bit of hyperbole?
It’s a wild exaggeration to emphasise that Gandalf’s eyebrows were very bushy, written in that way to delight The Hobbit’s target readership.