The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Translations from the Elvish - Public Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Confused! (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4402)

Mithadan 01-22-2001 08:49 AM

Confused!

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Spirit of Mist
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
I've said it privately and am not ashamed to do so in public. There are 8 threads that have been active during the past 10 days, each meandering through its own subject but also overlapping with others. Recent demands on my real and virtual time make it impossible for me to read each thread start to finish again, and a lot appears to be going on via private or e-mail making the threads even more difficult to follow. In short, I'm completely lost as to where we are, where we are going and what we are supposed to be doing. Anyone who might peek in midstream would become instantly intimidated, at a time when help might be useful.

Can someone give me an update? I feel like I should be doing something that I'm not doing.

Suggestions: (1) open one current planning thread, with additional threads for tangential or non-planning discussion; (2) ask BW to lock up any non-essential or outdated threads and, where necessary, refer to other threads by name; (3) make sure people get copied with e-mail/private mail as needed.

HELP. (please).

--Mithadan--
"The Silmarils with living light
were kindled clear, and waxing bright
shone like stars that in the North
above the reek of earth leap forth." </p>

lindil 01-22-2001 09:55 AM

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Shade of Carn Dûm
Sos

Hopefully you have already recv'd your #3 [sent via email]

#2 I wil l work on a list of lockable's put it on the BD board for BW and all to comment on and see f I have made any over or undersights

# 1a] I tried to do something of thisw/
&quot; DoV: discussion and texts &quot; this is for discussion of the current project which is more or less waiting for you and durelen to ge X and whatever else may be needed [done I hope?]
1b] &quot;literary devices and such &quot; and Silm Outlne &quot; are each planned for their respective topics and designed to hold the longer term topics convo. when you follow your link all the mystery posts should become clear [and this reference will disappear].
Hope that helps. Things were actually pretty quiet other than discussing a few theories . HerenIstarion's hobbit style BD presents were the big event and that kept posts a bit slow here , I guess. I am supposed to be sectioning up DoV/rape of the Sil. for us to decide on a final approach.

I know I can be more diligent about posting as per thread , as i will be gone for days here and there and can appreciate your state.

Lindil

Lindil is often found on posting on the New Silmarillion Canon Forum at the Barrowdowns discussion board. 'The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night, and awaken early before dawn- exchanging lore and wisdom such as they possessed , so that they should not fall back into the mean and low estate of those , who never knew or more sadly still, had indeed rebelled against the Light.' </p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000076>lindil</A> at: 1/22/01 11:59:58 am

Orald 01-22-2001 02:16 PM

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Shade of Carn Dûm
Re: Sos

The book has finally reached house, but I still don't have it since I am at school. My friend is bringing it down tomorrow before we go skiing. Thank you Mith, I appreciate this, and thank you Saulotus and lindil for showing me that site, I just finished reading Smith of Wootton Major(I enjoyed it immensely). I will start looking over the required texts tonight and tom. Pretty soon I won't be quite so out in the blue.

</p>

lindil 01-22-2001 02:39 PM

I am not all that far ahead of you durelen in HoME studies. I have a pretty long running familiarity w/ 77 and UT , and I &amp;II, and from the get go , I thought about weaving the texts where possible, but as for III-XII , I started reading them in the spring [except for a little store browsing] and am just trtying to go about it methodically.

lindil

</p>