The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Quiz Room (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Character Trivia (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4126)

The Might 04-24-2007 02:29 PM

Correct, of course!

*gives aspirine for the headache* :D

Legate of Amon Lanc 04-25-2007 06:08 AM

You won't believe how stupid I felt back then. For illustration, Hirgon was among the first possibilities I checked. I don't know how I could have forgotten Mr.Udalraph, especially when he was riding round Dol Guldur.

A sort of riddlish question: Tell me the name of this one who was surely a fine craftperson, though not as good as Fëanor, but still succeeded at one thing in which Fëanor failed.

Gil-Galad 04-25-2007 08:22 AM

Aule perhaps? he created the vessels in which the Sun and the Moon to travel the world, thus he created the light of the world, but Feanors Silmarils failed in its task.

also, i'm pretty sure in the Silmarillion Feanor was placed higher then Aule as a craftsmen

The Might 04-25-2007 08:51 AM

I would say Enerdhil
He is the legendary craftsman of Gondolin rumored to have made the first (and possibly only) Elessar
The stone could heal things. Feanor failed at this, as he refused to give Yavanna the Silmarils so that she could heal the trees, and the whole world as well...

Legate of Amon Lanc 04-25-2007 11:28 AM

Good attempts, but you both did one thing which I didn't mean in my riddle: Fëanor refused, from his own free will, not to give the Silmarils to Yavanna. You might consider it as failure, but I meant by it that Fëanor didn't succeed in something even though he wanted to.

The Might 04-25-2007 12:48 PM

Aha, now that you mentiont that aspect, I believe I know who you mean, it's good old Gimli.

He managed to get a hair of Galadriel's, which Feanor didn't, although he asked.
And Gimli is also a craftsman, but of course not as good as Feanor.

Legate of Amon Lanc 04-25-2007 02:37 PM

Once again, correct, of course it was Gimli, precisely as you say.

The Might 04-30-2007 09:03 AM

Sorry about the time...
Who shares a name with a tree?

Anáwiel 05-01-2007 10:15 AM

Celeborn (the tree on Tol Eressea is named so, and the husband of Galadriel bears the same name)

The Might 05-01-2007 10:17 AM

Correct :)

Anáwiel 05-01-2007 10:29 AM

Great!

So, I guess it is my turn :) This one is easy, but I am not that good in trivia games as most of you :(
One elf (and his son) dwelt often as a guest in the dwarven mansions of Belegost and Nogrod and became skillful as a metalsmith. Who was that?

Legate of Amon Lanc 05-03-2007 06:26 AM

I swear, I wanted to give someone else a chance, but I just can't leave an unanswered thread to rest in peace...

Eöl and Maeglin, you mean?

Anáwiel 05-03-2007 10:35 AM

Correct. :D

Legate of Amon Lanc 05-03-2007 02:45 PM

Fine, nice one it was. So then...

...give me the surnames of at least three characters who - consciously or just indirectly - served the Enemy (so that it does not confuse you, you might just imagine "who were evil" instead of it).

Rune Son of Bjarne 05-03-2007 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
(so that it does not confuse you, you might just imagine "who were evil" instead of it).

That bit really confused me!

Thalion
Turambar

hmm neither maeglin or Uldor seems to have a last name. . .neither does Saruman

Ok I have nothing so I am going to give a guess I am almost sertain is wrong, but my third guess will be

Gorlim the Unhappy

Legate of Amon Lanc 05-04-2007 06:05 AM

No, no, Rune, in your case, it'd be perhaps better if I stayed just with the first formulation "served the Enemy, consciously or indirectly" :D Neither Húrin nor Túrin served the Enemy at any point. And I wouldn't call them "evil" as well. You might use these examples to show you where are the "borders" of the terms I used.

Also, note please, that neither Turambar, nor Thalion, and certainly not Unhappy are surnames. Or, at least not how I meant it. Surname is, well, the family name, the name you have common with your son or father or whatever.

If there are any further questions, please don't be afraid to ask :D

The Might 05-04-2007 06:28 AM

1. Barliman, Butterbur, who forgot about the message he was supposed to send and so indirectly helped the Nazgul track Frodo
2. Goatleaf, Harry and
3. Ferny, Bill who were suspected by Aragorn of doing work for the Nazgul

I also though about Hobbits, but none really helped Sauron
I actually had a more or less strange idea
It might also be that the Horblowers indirectly helped Sauron. Because of his cultivation of pipe-weed, it spread in the Shire and eventually even Saruman decided to purchase some. The squint-eyed Southerner that was on his way to Isengard to bring the pipe-weed was caught by the Nazgul and revealed precious information about The Shire and Baggins.

Rune Son of Bjarne 05-04-2007 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
No, no, Rune, in your case, it'd be perhaps better if I stayed just with the first formulation "served the Enemy, consciously or indirectly" :D Neither Húrin nor Túrin served the Enemy at any point. And I wouldn't call them "evil" as well. You might use these examples to show you where are the "borders" of the terms I used.

Also, note please, that neither Turambar, nor Thalion, and certainly not Unhappy are surnames. Or, at least not how I meant it. Surname is, well, the family name, the name you have common with your son or father or whatever.

If there are any further questions, please don't be afraid to ask :D

They sertainly did serve the enemy indirectly! Well in the sense that they served his purpose.

Legate of Amon Lanc 05-04-2007 06:47 AM

Good, good. Only I would except old Barney from it. Simply put: I'm looking for characters, who were evil and/or directly or indirectly served the Enemy. Barney was not evil, it was a mistake. The same on Túrin&co - their intention was not to do evil. Ah, yes, that's probably the best formulation: I'm seeking for three surnames of some who had evil intentions in mind. (and thus, indirectly served the Enemy)

Rune Son of Bjarne 05-04-2007 06:58 AM

hehe thanks for clarifying. . .

Sackville-Baggins (debatable)
Wormtongue (or was he one of the enemies?)
Ferny

The Might 05-04-2007 07:02 AM

You should try mentioning that in the beginning...;)
Ok, so you have two...
I'd add Baggins, Frodo
After he put on the Ring he became ensnared by it and definitely had evil intentions of controlling M-e; this served Sauron as he realised how close to destruction he was.

btw, I think Wormtongue is a title not a family name

Legate of Amon Lanc 05-04-2007 07:05 AM

Wormtongue is not a family name, as far as I know.
Sackville-Bagginses are debatable, as you said. Of course, we would mean Lotho here. But from what we know about Hobbits, and even from what is said in the Scouring of the Shire, it seems that his intentions were not actually evil. So, furthermore, we are leaving all hobbits out of that.

So, I believe here it is stated at the point I wanted it to appear: we're looking for three surnames of some who had evil intentions in mind. We do not include any hobbit in that. I'm waiting for your answers ;)

EDIT: Cross-posted with TM. Frodo is another possibility, at the Sammath Naur point, but we might say, it was not his own will that was guiding him at that moment. He repented after that. I'm looking for some who didn't repent, I'm looking for some who really meant it (I think it was not Frodo's intention to rule Middle-Earth even at that moment), I'm looking for some, who would you really place into the rubric labeled "EVIL".

Rune Son of Bjarne 05-04-2007 07:12 AM

Quote:

Wormtongue is not a family name, as far as I know
No it is not, but you asked for a surname and that it is, just like Turambar is not a family name.

Legate of Amon Lanc 05-04-2007 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne
No it is not, but you asked for a surname and that it is, just like Turambar is not a family name.

And that's what I said earlier. Turambar or Wormtongue is... well... epitheton, or how would you call it. It's the problem of "surname" having seemingly more meanings in English, counting in even another name... I mean just "family name". So no Turambar, no Wormtongue, no Felagund...

The Might 05-08-2007 11:50 AM

Ok, so I have Goatleaf and Ferny so far.
And I need one more who did bad things and so helped Sauron.
But I can't find anyone, since all others have no family names, but titles or nicknames.

Legate of Amon Lanc 05-09-2007 03:22 AM

Yes, yes, Goatleaf and Ferny. However, the last one is the biggest trick. :) Hint: the answer is in the vicinage.

The Might 05-09-2007 09:25 AM

:) Eureka!
Bill Huggins!
I had almost forgotten that the troll actually had a family name...strange, isn't it?
And he did help Sauron, as he almost managed to kill Bilbo, which would have probably meant the failure of the Quest of Erebor.

Legate of Amon Lanc 05-10-2007 03:30 AM

Of course, poor professor Huggins. Uh... that's not how it was... never mind... so, please take the thread :)

The Might 05-10-2007 06:53 AM

Who owned a red axe?

Legate of Amon Lanc 05-10-2007 06:56 AM

Dáin, he fought with Azog with that one.

Legate of Amon Lanc 05-13-2007 07:25 AM

Okay, I hope you agree with my answer and did not mean any other fellow with red axe whom I don't know...

To hold with the topic, who owned a red shield? :)

The Might 05-13-2007 08:13 AM

Yes, that was correct.
Erkenbrand.

Legate of Amon Lanc 05-13-2007 08:23 AM

Quite obvious :D Please continue.

The Might 05-19-2007 10:05 AM

Please excuse the delay...
Here is a new one:

Who carried the banner of Rohan initially at the Pelennor Fields?

Gil-Galad 05-19-2007 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Might
Please excuse the delay...
Here is a new one:

Who carried the banner of Rohan initially at the Pelennor Fields?

quite sure it was Gamling

The Might 05-20-2007 03:22 AM

Gamling wasn't even there...:D

Aganzir 05-20-2007 10:12 AM

As far as I remember it was Gúthlaf.

The Might 05-20-2007 12:07 PM

correct

Aganzir 05-20-2007 01:36 PM

I'm too bad at inventing these

Who carried the news that started the War of the Dwarves and the Orcs?

Legate of Amon Lanc 05-20-2007 01:37 PM

Náin I believe (I once wrote a cartoon about it :D )

EDIT: Baah, take it back. Actually, it was Nár, I checked it now. I knew it was some "Ná..."