The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Your name in ... ROHIRRIC! (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=12111)

Elianna 08-04-2005 07:41 PM

Your name in ... ROHIRRIC!

There's a new one for ya. Forget all this silly Elvish, what's your name in Rohirric (Old English)? For some of you, it might be the same. For me it's different: Goda?. yee, I get to use an e?.

Elonve 08-05-2005 03:53 AM

where do you go for your name in Rohirric ?
________
Motorcycle Tires

Elianna 08-05-2005 08:34 AM

Here are some sites: Modern English to Old and Another better one

Of course you'd have to know what your name means to begin with, so here.

wilwarin538 08-10-2005 08:45 AM

The Council of Elrond site has a Rohirric name database here .

I have two: Fléohíw and Bléofeþer. They aren't direct translations of my name, but they're close.

Morsul the Dark 08-10-2005 08:50 AM

Hey this is nifty Andrew means Man which translates to Beorn

Woohoo Im Beorn

Joy 08-11-2005 08:43 PM

Mine is Engel Sæl(Angela Joy).

I was doing an Old English course last year. I loved it. Here is the site that I used King Alfred's Grammar

Here is the colleges English Dept page - http://acunix.wheatonma.edu/mdrout/ A lot of stuff on Tolkien. Don't know if this is accesable to the public or not.

Ainaserkewen 08-11-2005 08:48 PM

Mine I already knew. Shannon means old river, or wise river is Gaelic. Háréa or Gerádéa I guess is my translation.

Elianna 08-12-2005 06:53 AM

If Shannon is supposed to mean both old and wise river, then you could was the word Tolkien used to make Frodo's name, and it would be Frodéa.

Thanks for the Grammar Book, Joy. Lucky you to have Old English classes in college.

Joy 08-12-2005 01:07 PM

It wasn't my college. I found this online while looking for Old English studies. I am just a lover of languages.

ninja91 11-20-2006 11:40 AM

A name of one of my characters... Eonas Belklor . Dont laugh.

Rikae 11-20-2006 12:17 PM

Árfæstbrego at your service! :D

Feanor of the Peredhil 11-20-2006 12:39 PM

Sigorléan ('reward of victory') and Godgehát ('pledged to God'). I rather think I could break my teeth on those names; my own have a prettier melody to speak.

Fun though, thanks.

Beleg Cuthalion 11-20-2006 02:20 PM

Huh! Apparently I don't have one. Bróðor is as good as it gets.

But I wonder to myself why am I doing this? If some one looked that up, they would find out my real name.
:eek:

Maybe I will edit....

-Beleg

Anguirel 11-20-2006 04:21 PM

Ceacelyfthaet seems to come closest..."Cheeks of the Moon"...

Encaitare 11-23-2006 12:24 AM

But I'm not a boy...

Mine would be Genumen or Ofergán. I wonder if there are masculine and feminine forms, since the closest the CoE name translator had was James. :rolleyes:

Rune Son of Bjarne 11-23-2006 07:00 PM

I just saw that Joy's name would be "Engel Sæl". That is so funny. . .

In Danish that means "Angel Seal" :D

mark12_30 11-23-2006 08:05 PM

Hey, I like it.

light Léoht, Léoma. I like the "éom" part especially. (Halfway to Eomer.) And the middle name (masc) gets bright fame Beorhtír, Léohtír -- more éo. Happy Léoma.

Rune Son of Bjarne 11-23-2006 08:16 PM

Seal as in the animal that is. . . and yeah it is kind of nice, but quite a coincidence.

I gave up finding out what my name would be as the meaning of my Names is not a single word, but whole sentenses and I am not very good at this.

Lalwendë 11-24-2006 02:39 PM

What's with there being two different names that come up of the CofElrond (had to specify Elrond there...in case you thought I was causing theological mayhem on the CofE website :D) site?

Anyway, it's given me a laugh because one name that comes up for me is Bilewit (yeah, my humour can be a bit hard to stomach at times).

ArathorofBarahir 01-03-2007 03:09 PM

My Rohirric name is Léohtlic. Sweet!

shieldmaiden4xsword 01-05-2007 03:40 PM

Fæderdréam, Fæderwynn. I think that is sooooo cool!!!!! father's joy.

Eomer of the Rohirrim 01-06-2007 03:55 PM

Sigedryhten? 'The Lord of Victory'? Yes please.

Oddwen 01-06-2007 05:47 PM

My name Alice means either truthful or noble, hence

clǽne (honorable)
æðele (aristrocratic)

Middle name (means 'bitter') turns out ábitrian.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ang
"Cheeks of the Moon"

Hahahahem. Hem. Hem. Sorry.

littlemanpoet 01-06-2007 06:24 PM

My Barrowdowns moniker: lytelmannscop

My real name: Lytel Giefugodes Gemet

You will (ahem) notice a similarity.... :rolleyes:

The Might 01-06-2007 07:39 PM

I really like mine...
So my BD name would be Se Afol or Se Geweald...sounds nice

My RL name is unfortunately not translatable since I don't have an English name

littlemanpoet 01-06-2007 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Might
My RL name is unfortunately not translatable since I don't have an English name

Surely there is a "German to Old English" glossary on the internet somewhere....

Besides, Anglo-Saxon is closer to modern German than it is to modern English.

Try this or that

The Might 01-06-2007 08:14 PM

Thank you very much kind sir, but these things are of no help I guess
Firstly, because I am not a German, and don't have a German name, but a Romanian name
And even in my country's tongue my name has no meaning
Sabin come from the Sabins that lived on one of the 7 hills of Rome and that had their own problems with the Latins a long time ago
So to translate it isn't quite easy, though my last name would mean mountain man or man of the mountains...

Elianna 04-11-2007 06:09 PM

Being a classicist and an amatuer linguist, that last comment, The Might, was just too tempting. An untranslatable name, pfft.

After only a brief search on Google I found this here:

Sabine: "pertaining to a people in ancient Italy," 1387, from L. Sabinus (in poetic L. often Sabellus, connected by Tucker to root *sabh- "combine, gather, unite" (cf. Skt. sabha "gathering of village community," ... O.E. sibb "relationship, peace").

So you could either be Sibb, or Gadrian

The Sixth Wizard 04-11-2007 07:40 PM

Apparently I am heardlic. Not the most flattering of names, it must be said.

LjósÁlfr 04-11-2007 11:56 PM

Well, I know what my name means... It's Maarten, which is the Dutch form of Martin. And that comes from Latin Martinus, which is derived from Martis, the Genitive case from Mars (Roman war God).

Now how will I translate Mars into Old English? :rolleyes:

littlemanpoet 04-12-2007 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LjósÁlfr
Now how will I translate Mars into Old English? :rolleyes:

Uh, Thor? :p

LjósÁlfr 04-12-2007 10:06 AM

Heh, making that a Germanic god would make it Týr/Tîwaz.... Although the generall beliefed, yet still debated, claim that Týr was once the equal of Jupiter (Zeus), would sort of spoil that. Yet the critisim is that well, in the days we have written stuff from, he was more a Mars/Ares

But I shall bother you no more with Indo-Proto-European religeon, and the comparing of the latest variants of it, and just consider my name to be in-translateble :D

The Might 04-12-2007 10:08 AM

I thought Odin would be equal to Zeus since they are both the boss ;)

LjósÁlfr 04-12-2007 10:17 AM

Oðin* sorta took the place of Týr, but, as generally beliefed yet still debated, Týr origenally had that function. But you're absolutely right, Oðin is ussualy accepted as the leader of the Æsir**.

(*Oðin is Old Norse for Odin)
(**Æsir is a certain house of God's, in later Norse Mythology the most important, the Vanir and the Jotun are the others)

The Might 04-12-2007 01:34 PM

What I always found strange in Norse mythology is the idea that gods can die
Doesn't it say somewhere the Odin dies? :confused:

Legate of Amon Lanc 04-12-2007 01:48 PM

Actually, yes, they all die in the end. The interesting thing is that they all know how they will die. I think Odin is killed by the wolf Fenrir (anyone confirms? Ljós?) Well, almost all of them. This is why they actually "are not gods, but humans" (to quote Xenofanés).

The Might 04-12-2007 01:52 PM

But I think one god (maybe Thor) comes along and kills Fenrir with his bare hands...
Maybe we should consult Neithan Tol Turambar on this, after all he probably is an expert in this field

"I did not explore Norse mythology until much later, and actually, have rejected my former religion in favor of Wotanism. My place in Vahalla is assured. I am a Warrior of the Rainbow Bridge, Acoltye of Hiemdoll, and Bezerker of Wotan, Wielder of the Divine Bolts." :eek:

LjósÁlfr 04-12-2007 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Might
What I always found strange in Norse mythology is the idea that gods can die
Doesn't it say somewhere the Odin dies?

Yeah, the Ragnarök. There's only a handfull of people wo survive that. Óðin die's fighting Fenrir, yet Fenrir he kills as well. Týr fights Garmr, and is killed by him as well and Þórr fights Jörmungandr.... Those are the 3 most important fights, now the make to God/evil God duel list complete;

Freyr - Surtr (A Jotun/Giant)
Heimdallr - Loki

And af course the army of Einherjar, the troops of Óðin, against all the troops the evil Gods/Myth stuff has got.

(please note all name's are given in Old Norse, most have a English varian,t ussualy just dropping the r, since that's the nominative singular male case. ð's and þ's become d's and th's, Þórr = Thor, Óðin = Odin))

The Might 04-12-2007 01:57 PM

Do you have those diacritics on your keyboard??? :eek:
I've never seen them before...
Anyway, guess that's pretty off-topic, so I'll stop here

LjósÁlfr 04-12-2007 02:20 PM

I can't help but awensering you're question; alt + d becomes a ð and alt + t becomes a þ, alt + z becomes a æ alt + l becomes ø etc..