The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Explanation of Recent Forum Woes (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=14709)

The Barrow-Wight 03-10-2008 03:42 PM

Explanation of Recent Forum Woes

Dear Downers,

The Barrow-Downs server was unexpectedly upgraded late last week, but the forum wasn't upgraded with it. :eek: Unfortunately, it took several days to get everything corrected, which resulted in the confused forum everyone has been noticing. During the downtime (not to be confused with Downs-time, which was lacking) I was completely unable to do more than see a garbled version of the front page of the forum, and my e-mail was unusable. In fact, I am still working on getting my e-mail working.

I appreciate everyone's patience while we were experiencing these difficulties.

Let the Barrow-Downing resume!

Meneltarmacil 03-10-2008 04:02 PM

Oh, and just to let everyone know, this site is now accessible from forum.barrowdowns.com and 69.51.5.41 still leads to an alternate universe.

Finduilas 03-10-2008 04:27 PM

Barrow downs can't quite resume, the rpg threads are closed...

Kath 03-10-2008 05:24 PM

And not all replies are showing. I get emails saying someone has posted on a thread yet when I go to check it there's nothing new, on here or on the 69 forum.

Nerwen 03-10-2008 07:06 PM

And we've lost all the recent posts. Hopefully people backed up the important ones.

piosenniel 03-10-2008 08:04 PM

I'll re-open the RPG threads within the hour.

Anything that was posted on the barrowdowns.com site over the last 2-3 days seems to have disappeared. :(

~*~ Pio

Legate of Amon Lanc 03-11-2008 05:24 AM

Love you love you love you folks

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Barrow-Wight (Post 550073)

It's working! It's working! :cries uncontrollably:

:)

Elmo 03-11-2008 08:31 AM

It had to happen on my birthday :(

Bęthberry 03-11-2008 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Barrow-Wight (Post 550073)

No wonder we didn't hear anything from BW while this was happening. He was maintaining silence.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64...catsaviour.jpg

Finduilas 03-12-2008 08:26 PM

I can't log out! I can't log out! Augh!!!!!!!

Actually, no it's not the end of the world, but I thought I should say something. *sigh*

-- Folwren, posting as Finduilas because I can't log out of Fin's account and log into mine because the board won't allow me to do so.

alatar 03-13-2008 08:04 AM

To say the least, I'd found it creepy to see that I was logged in, yet I wasn't able to gain access to the forum. Thought that someone hacked my account - had used a public internet connection recently (though naturally with safeguards) - and so considered that someone wanted to be alatar at the Downs.

Why else would one hack someone's computer? ;) Glad to be back as me.

Paranoia may destroy ya...

piosenniel 03-13-2008 10:33 AM

Finduilas

Are you still having log out problems?

Here's how I log out:

From the top right of the screen 'log out' link -

Click 'log out'

This brings me to a screen that says "Are you sure you want to log out?"

Click "OK"

This brings up a vBulletin Message screen:

"An error occurred while attempting to log you out. Click here to log out."

Click there

Another vBulletin Message shows up:

"All cookies cleared"

Then just pick one of the links offered - Return to page you were viewing or Go to froums index.

You will be logged out and will stay logged out if you leave the site/turn off your computer

---------------------

It's a little shorter if you use the lower right of the screen log out
link.

Hope this helps.....

~*~ Pio

Finduilas 03-13-2008 10:53 AM

Did all that, then I return to forum I was just viewing, just like I usually do, and I'm still Finduilas. It doesn't bother me, but appearantly it bothers Folwren. :D

Lalwendë 03-13-2008 01:54 PM

davem's in serious trouble. He didn't tell me it was all working again and he knew I was leaving it til it was 'sorted'. I shall conspire with ye childe to do something revenge-worthy involving nappies...mua-ha-ha :D

Snowdog 03-18-2008 04:32 AM

Its good to see the main page working again!:smokin:

Lush 04-05-2008 08:24 AM

I missed the great Downs Outage of 2008?

Well, since I currently a site myself, this would only have caused major nightmares... Glad to see things are as glorious as ever around here.

The Barrow-Wight 04-21-2008 08:55 AM

Another bit of Down-time

Downers,

A few weeks ago the forum was down because of system upgrades at our host. We got that solved, but the upgrade came at a cost. It enabled our gracious host to catch us when we exceeded our bandwidth allowances; catch us and shut us down. That's what happened yesterday. But there's nothing to fear. A quick phone call to our host got the Downs an upgrade that includes enough bandwidth to satisfy a horde of hungry wights. And we even got a bargain on the price!

Until the next disaster,
BW

P.S. Actually, I'm lurking in the barrow every day. So don't think I'm not around. I've just grown a bit tree-ish, until something stirs me.

Hookbill the Goomba 04-21-2008 09:18 AM

It's good to see The Downs up and running again! But I think we all know what the real problem was:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...rygoodness.jpg

Some people will eat anything.

Gwathagor 04-21-2008 06:23 PM

Thanks, Barrow-Wight!