The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Name (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=3339)

Meela 05-23-2003 08:27 AM

Looking for a name

I know this is a bit trivial, but I don't know anywhere else that I can get help.

I would like suggestions for a name beginning with W.
It can be out of anything Tolkien related, even though I've been through the works- I may have missed something.
Or it can be made up from elvish words, or whatever. I don't know where else to look.
All suggestions are very much appreciated.
There is no particular purpose you need to keep in mind. Not that there isn't a purpose, I'm just not adding it in.

I so far have Windfola as the only W starting name. So I need as many as I can get.
Thanks ever so much.

Tar-Palantir 05-23-2003 09:47 AM

Wethrin is Sindarin for shadow

Searched these Quenyan words:
- a suffix occurring in many personal names, generally but not exclusively masculine; derived from a stem simply meaning "person" (PM:340, WJ:399)
-wen "maiden", a frequent ending in feminine names like Eärwen *"Sea-maiden" (SA:wen)
wéra Old Quenya form of véra, q.v.
wilwa "vague, fluttering to and fro" (Markirya)
wilwarin "butterfly" (Markirya); Wilwarin name of a constellation, tentatively identified as Cassiopeia. (Silm)
wilya see vilya
winga "foam, spray" (Markirya)
winta- "scatter, blow about" (both transitive and intransitive) (PM:376)

Then there is Withywindle which I'm kinda of partial to.

Meela 05-23-2003 10:40 AM

Thanks! All much appreciated!

Something I didn't add:

If you know of any elvish words that could make a name, ie. um.... wingarahta, which would be something like foam, spray and reach put together off the top of my head, could you let me know as well? I know you can get some good names from the generator, but I can't exactly programme it to come up with only names that begin with W.
Hope you understand my ramblings... in short, if you can make a name beginning with W that means something like eg. 'ray of sunshine' or 'elven glory' or whatever, can you let me know?

Thanks ever so much!

Aule 05-23-2003 11:17 AM

search Encyclopaedia of Ardafor names.
The site has a lot of info so it should help

Tar-Palantir 05-23-2003 11:40 AM

I suppose Wintawen would give you "Scattered maiden". Does that apply? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Meela 05-23-2003 11:44 AM

Yes! Thats it! Things like that! Thank you very much! Thats a great name [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Scott 05-23-2003 03:16 PM

Wind maiden would be something like:
Wawende/Wawen
The name of Earendel's ship was Foam-flower:
Wingelote
Elf-maiden is:
Wingilwen/Wingilwende

Sophia the Thunder Mistress 05-23-2003 09:00 PM

Wilwarin itself would work as a name, wouldn't it?

Vs and Ws are often exchangeable too, so Wilya might be a possibility (sky, heaven), something like Wilyawen or Wilyamir?

Sillabub 05-26-2003 12:38 PM

Why not take a look at other people's names from middle-earth that begin with W, mainly girls' names. I noticed while reading the appendixes of ROTK that Eomer and Eowyn's names both start with EO, like their mother's name Eomund. So I assume that this name-adoption thing is hereditary or whatever. An example would be Boromir, Faramir and Denethor (don't ask how that compares) or Aragorn and Arathorn (bad example...). But anyways, if you want to be an elf, look up words on some quenya or sindarin wordlist.

Tefalathiel 05-27-2003 07:49 AM

I need help!
My current name is Telfalathiel (i got it from your site), but i don't think it means something, so I want to translate my own name into quenya or sindarin, since i love it very much!
My real name is Irina, eastern version of Irene, comming from the greek word "Earenus" meaning "Peace"!

Manardariel 05-27-2003 09:05 AM

Welcome to the downs!

Check out this site for the traslation of EVERY name on the planet (I guess). And if you like the languages of ME, try out Ardalambion for courses and more. Have fun! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Finwe 05-27-2003 05:38 PM

Just a little correction Sillabub. Eowyn and Eomer's mother was Theodwyn, not Eomund. Eomund was their father.

Athronydd 05-27-2003 07:16 PM

Hey there I'm new to this forum and just happened to read about your search for a name. If you wish I could come up with a custom name if you have any ideas on what you would like it to mean. I can translate to Quenya or Sindarin if you like.
Cheers, Athronydd

Ophelia 06-05-2003 10:31 AM

Why not old man Willow ? Well , I mean , he is related with Tolkien [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] (and the name starts with W )

Meela 06-05-2003 12:56 PM

Willow! Thank you, Ophelia!! *hugs lots and lots*

Ophelia 06-05-2003 04:05 PM

Well I'm glad I could help [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
But tell me one thing : what are you collecting these words for? Or who are you gonna call old man Willow [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Meela 06-05-2003 05:14 PM

I was just trying to think of names... I happened to want a name beginning with W

Iarwain 07-03-2003 11:11 PM

This thread is long dead, but I was wandering (as always), and I came across it. How about Withywindle, the river in the Old Forest?

Yavanna228 07-04-2003 08:33 AM

Oooh, Withywindle. Good one, Iarwain. That is a name that often gets stuck in my head, prompting little tunes to be made up to go with the lyrical name. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
How about 'Wetwang', 'Windfoot', 'Windfola', 'Walda', or 'Wandlimb'? Can you tell I went through the Index at the back of LOTR? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Peace

Iarwain 07-07-2003 01:42 PM

Warg is a tad short, but a clever name if (by chance) you were naming a pet. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Iarwain

Alatariel Telemnar 07-08-2003 04:01 PM

Warg for a pet's name? I like it... maybe the next time I get a cat or dog I shall name it warg.... and then again I was thinking about Mippin, from Elencala Isil...

Lëowen 07-08-2003 05:41 PM

A cat named Warg? Oh yes, that makes perfect sense. If you were going to name a pet Warg, wouldn't it at least be a dog? Just wondering...

Aragost 07-10-2003 10:34 AM

*Willie Banks-a hobbit of breeland
*William Huggins-one of the stone trolls
*Walda-12th king of rohan
*Wandlimb-Fimmbrethil
*Wilwarin-A constellation of stars created by Varda
*Windfola-Horse riden by Eowyn and Merry to Pellenof fields
*Will Whitfoot-another Hobbit
*Wilya-the older form of vilya
*Withywindle river near bombadil's house
*Winterfilth tenth month in shire reckoning
*Wiseman Gamwich-son of Hamfast of Gamwich
*Wulf-man of Rohan, son of Freca
*Woses-Ghan-buri-ghan's tribe

Hope this helps you out a little.

Alatariel Telemnar 07-12-2003 06:14 PM

Quote:

A cat named Warg? Oh yes, that makes perfect sense. If you were going to name a pet Warg, wouldn't it at least be a dog? Just wondering...
I said dog, didn't I? Let me check...

*several minutes later*

Yes I did say dog... nothing personal... just got to prove my point [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Tinuviel of Denton 07-16-2003 10:03 PM

Actually, a cat named Warg isn't such a bad idea...it would make for an interesting conversation starter.

Guest: Where did you get the name for your cat?
Me: I named him after an evil race of wolves.
G: Wolves?

Um, don't take this personal, Alatariel, but you did say cat or dog. Just wanted to point that out. You're both right. (don't shoot me.)

Meela 07-17-2003 08:08 AM

If I ever get a hamster I'll name it Warg.

StarJewel 07-18-2003 12:30 AM

Here's a couple names. Dont know if ya like them or not:

Wilwarinwen= Butterfly maiden
Wingbril= Glittering Foam
Wyliendhriel= Willow Lady
Wingmire= Foam/Spray Jewel

Elianna 07-18-2003 09:38 AM

Hmmm...I hadn't considered Warg as a name for a pet. I do plan to get two ferrets and name them Stinker and Slinker, and then get a dachshund and name it Sam. I wonder how they would get along...

I know this is a bit morid but: I once named a kitten Boromir because he was whiney (I just find Boromir to be whiney) and then he died, so now I'm looking for a little boat to set him adrift down a stream near my house.

Anyway, if you're still searching for names, Meela, there's the Wainriders (some Easterlings), the Watcher in the Water, Waybread (yummy!), Weathertop, Whitfoot (family of Hobbits), Wídfara (Man of Rohan), Wilcome (Hobbit), Wilibald (Hobbit), William (Troll), Willie (Hobbit), Wiseman (Hobbit), Wormtongue, Wulf (Bad dude in Rohan)
Wilwarin has already been mentioned. I it best.